Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 2930

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765710 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5640 on: April 20, 2021, 11:32:35 AM »

What bothered me was not the "confrontation" (which I did understand in the civil rights sense,  that protest is confrontation) but rather the opinion on a specific verdict before all the facts are heard and all the legal procedures of a trial are done.   That IS disrespectful to the law.  Mind you,  I cannot imagine any exculpatory nugget emerging after what I and millions of other people saw in the video,  but there is still the principle of letting the process play out before questioning it.   And much of the case, and which of the three charges is the best fit, pertains to the defendant's state of mind, and that is not quite clear from the video.   All the jurors (1/3 of them African American) have to grapple with this matter of mental state, setting aside bias as much as humanly possible.  So we wait.

A hung jury would be the equivalent of an acquittal. There need only be one as there was in the Michael Slager case.

We’re told to have faith in the law... where is the evidence we should?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: April 20, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »

What bothered me was not the "confrontation" (which I did understand in the civil rights sense,  that protest is confrontation) but rather the opinion on a specific verdict before all the facts are heard and all the legal procedures of a trial are done.   That IS disrespectful to the law.  Mind you,  I cannot imagine any exculpatory nugget emerging after what I and millions of other people saw in the video,  but there is still the principle of letting the process play out before questioning it.   And much of the case, and which of the three charges is the best fit, pertains to the defendant's state of mind, and that is not quite clear from the video.   All the jurors (1/3 of them African American) have to grapple with this matter of mental state, setting aside bias as much as humanly possible.  So we wait.

A hung jury would be the equivalent of an acquittal. There need only be one as there was in the Michael Slager case.

No Larry, a hung jury is not the equivalent of an acqutital. And you know it. An acquittal means the legal question of guilt or innocence is settled and the defendant is not subject to double jeopardy and facing the charges again. A mistrial due to a hung jury is not an acquittal.

Should we lynch Chauvin before or after the verdict is read?

Whats your alternative to the law and our legal system?

And I feel that Chauvin is guilty of murder, but if the state can't prove its case to an impartial jury and there is an acquittal, I would be disappointed, but if there is a hung jury/mistrial I would hope the state retries Chauvin.

YMMV
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:15:35 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5643 on: April 20, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »

No Larry, a hung jury is not the equivalent of an acqutital. And you know it. An acquittal means the legal question of guilt or innocence is settled and the defendant is not subject to double jeopardy and facing the charges again. A mistrial due to a hung jury is not an acquittal.

Should we lynch Chauvin before or after the verdict is read?

Whats your alternative to the law and our legal system?

And I feel that Chauvin is guilty of murder, but if the state can't prove its case to an impartial jury and there is an acquittal, I would be disappointed, but if there is a hung jury/mistrial I would hope the state retries Chauvin.

YMMV

Lynch Chauvin? Really?

I think you’ve missed the point on how the aggrieved would feel if the jury hangs. This was not a legal statement. It’s realization that we can be murdered with impunity by the police we fund with our tax dollars. Consider the defense was basically Floyd was responsible for his own death.
If the jury acquits or hangs it will be a monstrous statement on our society.

You’ll be disappointed.

I’ll feel the same way I felt after the Simi Valley trial.

Sure the state would retry Chauvin but in the meantime we must have faith in a system that has not earned our trust in over two hundred years?

My alternative? Tear it down and transform the mission from containing and controlling black bodies to protecting and serving everyone.

Revoke qualified immunity and make individual police accountable for their actions.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5644 on: April 20, 2021, 12:59:18 PM »

Dear white ppl: Stop lecturing us on the proper way to react to racism & police terrorism. That’s exactly what Dr King discussed in his Letter From A Birmingham Jail. You did it with Kaepernick, John Carlos & Tommie Smith, Ali & now MaxineWaters That’s not how any of this works”

Etan Thomas

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: April 20, 2021, 01:06:12 PM »

Ignoring the context of her irresponsible remarks is flat out ignorance, willfull or otherwise.

Thank you for admitting your mistake. It will be easier to forgive you if you don’t continue ignoring the context in the future.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: April 20, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »

A hung jury would be the equivalent of an acquittal.

How so?

You want Chauvin to do some time if there is no reasonable doubt as to at least one charge - and be released if there is enough doubt where 12 agree.  If HUNG, there would likely be a new trial, correct?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:01:53 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: April 20, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »

Hung juries frequently mean a determination by the prosecution that they will never be able to find a jury a convict.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5649 on: April 20, 2021, 02:07:33 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: April 20, 2021, 03:01:50 PM »

Shiiiiitttt....

brothers be shootin shit up now.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: April 20, 2021, 03:09:21 PM »

Shiiiiitttt....

brothers be shootin shit up now.

We’re all brothers except piles of rat droppings with internet connections like yourself.

You stand outside the species as a shining example of what not to be. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: April 20, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »

JURY IS IN
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 2930