Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 759966 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #7545 on: May 24, 2021, 03:50:54 PM »

What I don't think some neo-cons grasp is that it's less expensive to provide a good education than it is to provide the massive programs that handle the fallout from bad education.   I'm a true fiscal conservative:  good education from preschool to grad school is the way to hand out the LEAST amount of taxpayer money.
When the government made college loans easy to get the universities went to work inventing boutique degrees, doubling administrators, counselors, etc, expanding campuses all of which(and more) inevitably sent tuition skyrocketing.
Many grads could not find real work and then the debt came due.
And now we all curse the day coming when we write more checks to pay for college only this time the taxman will be collecting them.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: May 24, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »

A question was asked, mind you based on multiple false premises.

But here is part of the answer:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/immigrants-outperform-native-born-americans-two-key-measures-financial-success-n1020291

It is not just native-born minorities who are outperformed by the immigrants, but native-born whites, as well.

One of the false equivalences used in this argument compares the Blacks to more recent immigrants who "arrived here with nothing."

Both groups are subject to prejudice and bigotry, but some of the more recent groups "benefit" from the model minority myth.

Blacks have more to overcome than new immigrants, on average, exactly because assholes keep looking down on them for the ostensible failures of their forebears, with no ability to perceive the double jeopardy.

If a Black succeeds, their success is challenged for perhaps having come from Affirmative Action or other forms of giving Blacks a break, while if they fail it is all about their personal failings.

See also: women.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7547 on: May 24, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »

How about a stipend for all students who were diligent in paying off their loans?

How come those have always scream unfair when those who don’t catch a break?

I paid off my student loans a couple years ago. Why should I begrudge folks who didn’t have the same access to the financial resources I have?

How come so many groups come to this country with nothing and still make it, while others keep complaining of unfair access to resources but refuse to work or embrace real education?

For a myriad of reasons, most to simple for the bigoted mind to comprehend.

Which explains your ignorance, bigot.

Hell, you can’t grasp a simple concept.

Oh, it's simple concept. You hate anyone who has worked harder than you and gotten further in life.

GI's earned their degrees.

It was the opportunities provide by the GI Bill that we’re off limits to black vets, you idiot.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7548 on: May 24, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »

A question was asked, mind you based on multiple false premises.

But here is part of the answer:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/immigrants-outperform-native-born-americans-two-key-measures-financial-success-n1020291

It is not just native-born minorities who are outperformed by the immigrants, but native-born whites, as well.

One of the false equivalences used in this argument compares the Blacks to more recent immigrants who "arrived here with nothing."

Both groups are subject to prejudice and bigotry, but some of the more recent groups "benefit" from the model minority myth.

Blacks have more to overcome than new immigrants, on average, exactly because assholes keep looking down on them for the ostensible failures of their forebears, with no ability to perceive the double jeopardy.

If a Black succeeds, their success is challenged for perhaps having come from Affirmative Action or other forms of giving Blacks a break, while if they fail it is all about their personal failings.

See also: women.

I remember a company Christmas party back in 1984 where a drunken QC tech got in my face and complained I had gotten the shift leader job over him because of Affirmative Action.

I asked if he thought i got the position because of my degree and industrial darkroom experience.

He said no, they had to fill a quota.

A few months later I was in a darkroom at 4am when Springsteen’s ‘Dancing in the Dark’ came on the radio. I changed out of the jump suit got in my Chevelle and drove to Manhattan from Glen Cove and never looked back.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: May 24, 2021, 04:23:09 PM »

Free 12 month membership and a free lap dance at the Hustler club in Vegas if you get the Covid jab there.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: May 24, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

Just got my second Moderna shot. Still doing a brisk business here which is good because SD county is behind on the uptake compared to other parts of the state.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: May 24, 2021, 05:18:22 PM »

Cancel culture is at it again:

AP Staffers Demand 'Clarity' On Emily Wilder Firing With Powerful Open Letter
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-staffers-open-letter-emily-wilder_n_60abd701e4b0a2568315c76a

Meanwhile I am in a hospital waiting area listening to a pianist playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps while thinking there is just something... wrong.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: May 24, 2021, 05:32:50 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/dozens-constitutional-scholars-tell-congress-it-has-power-make-d-n1268282

The only reason to not make the bulk of DC a state is politics.

See also: Puerto Rico.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7554 on: May 24, 2021, 05:36:18 PM »

One reason weed should never have been a schedule one drug is if you can’t get any your body isn’t going to make your brain think it’s a good idea to take money out of mom’s purse to get it. You might do that anyway but that would because you’re an asshole.

If you’re hooked on heroin, meth or coke  etc, you’ll smack grandma upside the head with a skillet that still has  catfish frying in it to get cash in order to boost.

That we’ve allowed generations of lives to be tossed into the maw of mass incarceration was a decision based on nothing but bullshit.

Racist bullshit at that.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: May 24, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »

One reason weed should never have been a schedule one drug is if you can’t get any your body isn’t going to make your brain think it’s a good idea to take money out of mom’s purse to get it. You might do that anyway but that would because you’re an asshole.

If you’re hooked on heroin, meth or coke  etc, you’ll smack grandma upside the head with a skillet that still has  catfish frying in it to get cash in order to boost.

That we’ve allowed generations of lives to be tossed into the maw of mass incarceration was a decision based on nothing but bullshit.

Racist bullshit at that.

Admittedly racist bullshit.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7556 on: May 24, 2021, 06:47:07 PM »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-staffers-open-letter-emily-wilder_n_60abd701e4b0a2568315c76a

Meanwhile I am in a hospital waiting area listening to a pianist playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps while thinking there is just something... wrong.
Well.
If you are weeping for Emily Wilder you are on a fool’s errand.
She acknowledged possibly violating AP’s social media guidelines that bar employees from sharing political opinions, but claimed the policies are “selectively enforced” by design.
“I was transparent from the very beginning, and I have been transparent,” Wilder said of being upfront about her activist past. “Yes, I had opinions in college, and yes, I still have opinions, because everybody has opinions. I have never denied any of that.”

Her timing was atrocious coming at the same time her employer,THE AP, was discovered sharing an office building with Hamas.

Her firing had nothing to do with cancel culture.
She was canned for being stupid.

She was canned because AP caved to right wing bullshit.

Bunch of hypocritical assholes.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7557 on: May 24, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: May 24, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »

Well.
If you are weeping for Emily Wilder you are on a fool’s errand.
She acknowledged possibly violating AP’s social media guidelines that bar employees from sharing political opinions, but claimed the policies are “selectively enforced” by design.
“I was transparent from the very beginning, and I have been transparent,” Wilder said of being upfront about her activist past. “Yes, I had opinions in college, and yes, I still have opinions, because everybody has opinions. I have never denied any of that.”

Her timing was atrocious coming at the same time her employer,THE AP, was discovered sharing an office building with Hamas.

Her firing had nothing to do with cancel culture.
She was canned for being stupid.

barton

« Reply #7559 on: May 24, 2021, 08:08:28 PM »

I didn't know the quote function had a time travel option.   
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 2929