Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 759900 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #7575 on: May 24, 2021, 10:30:39 PM »

About 2 years ago

Damn shame the Trump admin fired CDC investigators based in China.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Several months before the coronavirus pandemic began, the Trump administration eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, Reuters has learned.

The American disease expert, a medical epidemiologist embedded in China’s disease control agency, left her post in July, according to four sources with knowledge of the issue. The first cases of the new coronavirus may have emerged as early as November, and as cases exploded, the Trump administration in February chastised China for censoring information about the outbreak and keeping U.S. experts from entering the country to help.

No other foreign disease experts were embedded to lead the program after Quick left in July, according to the sources. Zhu said an embedded expert can often get word of outbreaks early, after forming close relationships with Chinese counterparts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-cdc-exclusiv/exclusive-u-s-axed-cdc-expert-job-in-china-months-before-virus-outbreak-idUSKBN21910S

And as I recall Trump praised China and Xi on their transparency

“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus,” Trump wrote in a post on Twitter. “The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

Red clearly should have stayed in school

Elmer might have understood.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: May 24, 2021, 11:22:53 PM »

Hide your car keys!   
Turn your home into a fortress!
Get your guns ready!
The bad people are coming for your car keys!   to steal your car/s.
They'll carjack you in the street or driveway, bash or murder you for the keys if you don't give them the keys.
They'll break into your home looking for the keys.

You should get right on fixing that.

Come back and post when you do.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: May 25, 2021, 01:16:16 AM »

“Who is the president of the United States?” is a standard question on a mental competency test.

We should be asking every adult in the country to give a serious answer to this question.

We should be prepared to confiscate plenty of keys, guns, and put many a sad individual into a mandatory hold for evaluation before we start asking.

According to poling 25% of Americans who comprise 53% of republicans cannot be officially considered mentally competent.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7579 on: May 25, 2021, 01:31:23 AM »

Just a year ago

“Sen. Tom Cotton Repeats Fringe Theory of Coronavirus Origins,"
New York Times

"Trump says US investigating whether coronavirus spread
after China lab mishap but cites no evidence,"
USA Today

"New research explores how conservative media misinformation
may have intensified the severity of the pandemic,"
Washington Post

Scientists Debunk theory of Lab Accident for Pandemic Emergence
All Things Considered

Lab Leak A Conspiracy Theory
Politico

Whoops!

The Wall Street Journal this weekend reported researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology were hospitalized in November 2019, a month before COVID-19 was first reported in Wuhan, as the researchers were stricken with symptoms that were similar to those experienced by COVID patients.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the primary source of those year old headlines,
Now says

I think we should continue to investigate what went on in China until we continue to find out to the best of our ability what happened."

Oh.

All that means is the Trump Administration didn’t stop it or contain it once it got here.

No matter where , how or why it originated the GOP screwed the pooch and let it devastate the nation.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: May 25, 2021, 01:39:07 AM »

Most republicans aren’t competent by any standard.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: May 25, 2021, 03:41:57 AM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_counsel#Ethics_in_Government_Act

Congressional and State Government support for insurrection and seditious conspiracy before and after January 6, 2021 including any potential coverups should be the remit once republicans fail to agree to a bipartisan commission. No sitting President to worry about. Lots of charges to forward.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: May 25, 2021, 06:22:33 AM »

A question was asked, mind you based on multiple false premises.

But here is part of the answer:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/immigrants-outperform-native-born-americans-two-key-measures-financial-success-n1020291

It is not just native-born minorities who are outperformed by the immigrants, but native-born whites, as well.

One of the false equivalences used in this argument compares the Blacks to more recent immigrants who "arrived here with nothing."

Both groups are subject to prejudice and bigotry, but some of the more recent groups "benefit" from the model minority myth.

Blacks have more to overcome than new immigrants, on average, exactly because assholes keep looking down on them for the ostensible failures of their forebears, with no ability to perceive the double jeopardy.

If a Black succeeds, their success is challenged for perhaps having come from Affirmative Action or other forms of giving Blacks a break, while if they fail it is all about their personal failings.

See also: women.

Here was the question that was asked: How come so many groups come to this country with nothing and still make it, while others keep complaining of unfair access to resources but refuse to work or embrace real education?

The question contained no mention of minorities, nor was the question based on false premises, as josh's data supports the notion that the hard work and self-discipline of some immigrants is what leads to their success; which was the assertion behind the question.

What was most interesting about the piece josh linked to is how many immigrants find their way without getting into debt: You can start a business, buy a car, or attend college without the attending debt or loans. It may require saving longer, working harder, or choosing cheaper options, but avoiding debt doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have to do without these things.

How many on this fora have no debt?  Besides me, that is. Or, at least, how many have learned how to leverage debt? That might be a good poll question, josh.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:26:16 AM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: May 25, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »

How about a stipend for all students who were diligent in paying off their loans?

How come those have always scream unfair when those who don’t catch a break?

I paid off my student loans a couple years ago. Why should I begrudge folks who didn’t have the same access to the financial resources I have?

How come so many groups come to this country with nothing and still make it, while others keep complaining of unfair access to resources but refuse to work or embrace real education?

For a myriad of reasons, most to simple for the bigoted mind to comprehend.

Which explains your ignorance, bigot.

Hell, you can’t grasp a simple concept.

Oh, it's simple concept. You hate anyone who has worked harder than you and gotten further in life.

GI's earned their degrees.

It was the opportunities provide by the GI Bill that we’re off limits to black vets, you idiot.

That's "were", not "we're", HBCU grad. 

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: May 25, 2021, 06:38:32 AM »

One reason weed should never have been a schedule one drug is if you can’t get any your body isn’t going to make your brain think it’s a good idea to take money out of mom’s purse to get it. You might do that anyway but that would because you’re an asshole.

If you’re hooked on heroin, meth or coke  etc, you’ll smack grandma upside the head with a skillet that still has  catfish frying in it to get cash in order to boost.

That we’ve allowed generations of lives to be tossed into the maw of mass incarceration was a decision based on nothing but bullshit.

Racist bullshit at that.

Were you high when you wrote this?

Because you haven't connected one dot to another.

Clean this up.

BTW, there is research that links early marijuana usage to greater alcohol abuse among individuals. The amount of criminal and violent activity linked to alcohol abuse is quite significant.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: May 25, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »

Cancel culture is at it again:

AP Staffers Demand 'Clarity' On Emily Wilder Firing With Powerful Open Letter
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-staffers-open-letter-emily-wilder_n_60abd701e4b0a2568315c76a

Meanwhile I am in a hospital waiting area listening to a pianist playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps while thinking there is just something... wrong.
Well.
If you are weeping for Emily Wilder you are on a fool’s errand.
She acknowledged possibly violating AP’s social media guidelines that bar employees from sharing political opinions, but claimed the policies are “selectively enforced” by design.
“I was transparent from the very beginning, and I have been transparent,” Wilder said of being upfront about her activist past. “Yes, I had opinions in college, and yes, I still have opinions, because everybody has opinions. I have never denied any of that.”

Her timing was atrocious coming at the same time her employer,THE AP, was discovered sharing an office building with Hamas.

Her firing had nothing to do with cancel culture.
She was canned for being stupid.

She was canned because AP caved to right wing bullshit.

Bunch of hypocritical assholes.

No, she was canned because they followed the guidelines that they set up, of which she was informed, and what she chose to break. I wish her luck in her next career, but it won't be with a title as "journalist". Unless she ends up at Fox or MSNBC. She'll get the title, at least.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: May 25, 2021, 06:49:02 AM »

Get ready for fewer Texans in the world.

Texas is poised to remove one of its last gun restrictions after lawmakers approved allowing people to carry handguns without a license, and the background check and training that go with it.

The Republican-dominated Legislature approved the measure Monday, sending it to Gov. Greg Abbott, who has said he will sign it despite the objections of law enforcement groups who say it would endanger the public and police.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/24/texas-unlicensed-handguns-abbott-490651

"Pro-life" GOP.

Heh.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: May 25, 2021, 07:02:09 AM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7588 on: May 25, 2021, 07:48:56 AM »

A question was asked, mind you based on multiple false premises.

But here is part of the answer:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/immigrants-outperform-native-born-americans-two-key-measures-financial-success-n1020291

It is not just native-born minorities who are outperformed by the immigrants, but native-born whites, as well.

One of the false equivalences used in this argument compares the Blacks to more recent immigrants who "arrived here with nothing."

Both groups are subject to prejudice and bigotry, but some of the more recent groups "benefit" from the model minority myth.

Blacks have more to overcome than new immigrants, on average, exactly because assholes keep looking down on them for the ostensible failures of their forebears, with no ability to perceive the double jeopardy.

If a Black succeeds, their success is challenged for perhaps having come from Affirmative Action or other forms of giving Blacks a break, while if they fail it is all about their personal failings.

See also: women.

Here was the question that was asked: How come so many groups come to this country with nothing and still make it, while others keep complaining of unfair access to resources but refuse to work or embrace real education?

The question contained no mention of minorities, nor was the question based on false premises, as josh's data supports the notion that the hard work and self-discipline of some immigrants is what leads to their success; which was the assertion behind the question.

What was most interesting about the piece josh linked to is how many immigrants find their way without getting into debt: You can start a business, buy a car, or attend college without the attending debt or loans. It may require saving longer, working harder, or choosing cheaper options, but avoiding debt doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have to do without these things.

How many on this fora have no debt?  Besides me, that is. Or, at least, how many have learned how to leverage debt? That might be a good poll question, josh.

I have no debt.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7589 on: May 25, 2021, 07:50:35 AM »

How about a stipend for all students who were diligent in paying off their loans?

How come those have always scream unfair when those who don’t catch a break?

I paid off my student loans a couple years ago. Why should I begrudge folks who didn’t have the same access to the financial resources I have?

How come so many groups come to this country with nothing and still make it, while others keep complaining of unfair access to resources but refuse to work or embrace real education?

For a myriad of reasons, most to simple for the bigoted mind to comprehend.

Which explains your ignorance, bigot.

Hell, you can’t grasp a simple concept.

Oh, it's simple concept. You hate anyone who has worked harder than you and gotten further in life.

GI's earned their degrees.

It was the opportunities provide by the GI Bill that we’re off limits to black vets, you idiot.

That's "were", not "we're", HBCU grad.

Proud HBCU grad. You didn’t dispute the fact now, did you?

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 2929