Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 2715

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 498626 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8025 on: May 30, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »

And people like me are still on the same level as you.

Larry Horatio Alger.

The problem with this argument is you presume others here had a head start. Not always the case. 

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8026 on: May 30, 2021, 02:10:50 PM »

Larry Horatio Alger.

The problem with this argument is you presume others here had a head start. Not always the case.

Are you white?

If so you had the best head start ant man can have in this nation.

My family gave me a great foundation but I’ve had to start from scratch more than a couple times (you always try to make fun of how many jobs I’ve had, no?) and still ended up fairly comfortable.

Man I had to grind to the point of wearing out my body. Hell, this is my sixth major surgery including a total hip replacement at forty and cervical and lumbar spinal fusions in the last two years.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:16:12 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: May 30, 2021, 02:15:34 PM »

I had a friend who was a Combat Medic in the Marines, and he was a good Christian who spent his whole life helping other people. One year on Memorial Day he was managing a men's home for homeless men, and he used his own money to buy rib eye steaks for the guys, and we turned it into a full feast with barbecued chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, elote, baked potatoes, asparagus, etc, we fed 14 homeless guys a full feast. That was a great Memorial Day, and my friend was a great person, I watched him raise over one million dollars for charity by selling beer and hot dogs, and stuff at Angel Stadium, and at the Rose Bowl, etc, he raised money for Canning Hunger to feed the hungry people. He loved to help people. He died young, at 50 years old, but he was a good person who spent his time helping other people.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: May 30, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »

Larry Horatio Alger.

Are you white?

My family gave me a great foundation but I’ve had to start from scratch more than a couple times (you always try to make fun of how many jobs I’ve had, no?) and still ended up fairly comfortable.

Man I had to grind to the point of wearing out my body. Hell, this is my sixth major surgery including a total hip replacement at forty and cervical and lumbar spinal fusions in the last two years.

I'm sure you worked hard.

I don't think you should presume that others didn't, or didn't have to do so merely because of their skin color.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: May 30, 2021, 02:31:59 PM »

Re head starts

As I recall Larry had a Chevelle SS as a 17 YO, my folks let me drive a '64 VW bug, until I totalled it. I'm pretty sure Larry had an edge over me and my dead Red bug. Learned to drive a stick though. Learned to drive a fork lift too.  Pay sucked, but it and some poker paid my end of the rent and eventually college.

Utley what did you drive as a kid?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:34:26 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8030 on: May 30, 2021, 02:33:33 PM »

Larry Horatio Alger.

Are you white?

I don't think you should presume that others didn't, or didn't have to do so merely because of their skin color.

You had a fucking head start. Don’t minimize it. Recognize it and stop being so fucking racist.

White guys can be just another Joe and make out just fine.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: May 30, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »

Re head starts

As I recall Larry had a Chevelle SS as a 17 YO, my folks let me drive a '64 VW bug, until I totalled it. I'm pretty sure Larry had an edge over me and my dead Red bug. Learned to drive a stick though. Learned to drive a fork lift too.  Pay sucked, but it and some poker paid my end of the rent and eventually college.

I drove a used Schwinn Continental, blue. Cost me $125. Had it for a year and a half and it got stolen.

Then I used public transportation or thumbed rides to school, to work, pretty much everywhere.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: May 30, 2021, 02:43:13 PM »

Larry Horatio Alger.

Are you white?

You had a fucking head start. Don’t minimize it. Recognize it and stop being so fucking racist.

Oh? So white people are racist by virtue of their skin color, a circumstance beyond their control, tanning beds excluded, of course?

Larry, the reason you think everyone is racist is because you require it to justify your bullshit.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8033 on: May 30, 2021, 02:53:41 PM »

Re head starts

As I recall Larry had a Chevelle SS as a 17 YO, my folks let me drive a '64 VW bug, until I totalled it. I'm pretty sure Larry had an edge over me and my dead Red bug. Learned to drive a stick though. Learned to drive a fork lift too.  Pay sucked, but it and some poker paid my end of the rent.

No one “let” me drive a car.
I bought that car from my dad because his girlfriend was afraid to drive it. He didn’t give it to me but he did put me on his insurance.

I’ve worked since I was eleven when my brother and I had a lawn service. I had one of the largest paper routes in Amityville. I didn’t deliver papers except to my employees, younger kids who did the door to door for a buck a week and ice cream on Fridays.

I had my first two hip surgeries at 13 but by 15 I was coordinating show dates for a couple of bands in the area including my brother’s. Our buddy, Everett went on to become the road drummer for the Isley Brothers. (I got to hang with him on tour for a couple weeks in 78 but that’s another story, By the time I was sixteen my physicality had recovered to 5he point I got to join one of my dad’s work crews on school breaks.  I must have threaded a couple miles of pipe for sprinkler and radiator systems. I also learned how to sweat copper. I’ve probably saved several thousand dollars in home repairs over the year.

When I went to Hampton I majored in Fine Arts and did two seasons of marching band. I could pull in a couple hundred a day in season doing caricatures at Buckroe Beach.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8034 on: May 30, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »

Larry Horatio Alger.

Are you white?

Oh? So white people are racist by virtue of their skin color, a circumstance beyond their control, tanning beds excluded, of course?

Larry, the reason you think everyone is racist is because you require it to justify your bullshit.

I said YOU ARE RACIST.

a lucky break is a lucky break and if you’re born white in America you caught a lucky break.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: May 30, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »

For someone who talks so much shit, I have to ask UNO...

What have you done?

When have you put your body or livelihood at risk in support of a cause?

I don't have to justify my life to you or anyone else, but I have been officially commended by two governors of two different states...
For moving out of state....
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: May 30, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »

I had a seasonal business starting when  I was 10 or so, raked leaves in the fall, shovelled driveways in the winter, some lawns and caddied in the summer. Carried doubles, two loops. It wasn't bad money for a kid in '63.

The only thing I could draw was a conclusion and I figured out by 19, driving a fork lift wasn't a great career path.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8037 on: May 30, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »

I’ve worked my ass off and stepped out on faith more than once.

I am eternally grateful to Mrs. Virginia Jackson (Hampton 1927) who took me into her Saturday class -The Negro History Reading Circle - when I was about nine I remember the first poem we learned.

Langston Hughes

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Bottom line is I busted my ass until I couldn’t.

When I get out of rehab I’m gonna set up a therapy schedule and I’m gonna do a 5k by this time next year.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8038 on: May 30, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »

I had a seasonal business starting when  I was 10 or so, raked leaves in the fall, shovelled driveways in the winter, some lawns and caddied in the summer. Carried doubles, two loops. It wasn't bad money for a kid in '63.

The only thing I could draw was a conclusion and I figured out by 19, driving a fork lift wasn't a great career path.

In 63 I was five.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: May 30, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »

Larry Horatio Alger.

Are you white?

I said YOU ARE RACIST.

a lucky break is a lucky break and if you’re born white in America you caught a lucky break.

I got it, Larry. You said what you said. It DOES NOT MAKE IT SO, no matter what you say or what your SJW Klan says.

If I am successful in my life, it's because I am white, and if you lack any success in your life, it's because you're black.

Maybe some day you'll see how stupid it is to base success or failure in one's life on such bullshit, especially when opportunities abound in this country to build whatever kind of life you really want.

But then that would be like tossing crutches away after your next hip surgery and saying, "I don't need these!"

Ain't gonna happen, is it?

Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 2715