Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 758858 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8205 on: June 01, 2021, 05:21:28 AM »

By May 1951, the communists were pushed back to the 38th parallel, and the battle line remained in that vicinity for the remainder of the war. On July 27, 1953, after two years of negotiation, an armistice was signed, ending the war and reestablishing the 1945 division of Korea that still exists today. Approximately 150,000 troops from South Korea, the United States, and participating U.N. nations were killed in the Korean War, and as many as one million South Korean civilians perished. An estimated 800,000 communist soldiers were killed, and more than 200,000 North Korean civilians died.

I'm a supporter of the 3-month aerial bombing of Serbia which ended its attacks on separatist Kosovo and the secular-muslim Albanians there.  Just this weekend I was wearing my Kosovo t-shirt of the 14th C Serbian Decani Monastery, a major point of contention between the two sides (the monastery itself, not my particular t-shirt).
A use of force more than a traditional war.  But military intervention which stopped an ugly war and led to the formation of an independent, peaceful, fairly stable Kosovo.  Good bombing.  There's a George W. Bush statue in one town, a Bill Clinton statue in the capital Pristina, a highway named after both those presidents, etc.

I also was glad the US/EU ousted the odious and murderous Qaddafi when it was feasible, though they failed to follow that up with any plan.  Libya is a wealthy country, with few ethnic minorities and a small population.  Should have been a relatively easy place for nation-building, with any kind of effort/plan.  Stupid GOP wastes years investigating the Benghazi consulate attack/killings, but never looked into why there was no plan to stabilize Libya after removing the dictator (necessarily creating an enormous political void).
And still I'd rather have Libya divided and mucked up post-Q, then have Qaddafi fomenting civil wars throughout Africa.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8206 on: June 01, 2021, 07:22:58 AM »

The following is a pull quote from the article linked below.

”No one should be under the impression that the burning of “Black Wall Street” in Tulsa a century ago was a one-off atrocity. In fact, it was part of a long and shameful pattern in which White mobs used murderous violence to erase African American prosperity.

It happened in Atlanta in September 1906. Fabricated “reports” of sexual assaults by Black men against White women were used to inflame White vigilantes to attack African Americans. The mobs initially focused on Black-owned businesses that had established a foothold downtown — and were thriving in competition with enterprises owned by Whites.

Store windows were smashed, in what amounted to an American Kristallnacht. Men and women were randomly snatched from streetcars and murdered. One barbershop that the mob targeted — because of its burgeoning success — was closed, so the White rioters trashed the place and then moved on to another barbershop across the street, where they killed all the barbers”.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/05/31/it-was-much-more-than-tulsa/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8207 on: June 01, 2021, 07:29:50 AM »

“In Washington, 39 Republican senators called history education that focuses on systemic racism a form of “activist indoctrination.”

And across the country, Republican-led legislatures have passed bills recently to ban or limit schools from teaching that racism is infused in American institutions. After Oklahoma’s G.O.P. governor signed his state’s version in early May, he was ousted from the centennial commission for the 1921 Race Massacre in Tulsa, which President Biden will visit on Tuesday to memorialize one of the worst episodes of racial violence in U.S. history.

From school boards to the halls of Congress, Republicans are mounting an energetic campaign aiming to dictate how historical and modern racism in America are taught, meeting pushback from Democrats and educators in a politically thorny clash that has deep ramifications for how children learn about their country.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/us/politics/critical-race-theory.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm&fb_news_token=AnCiMu6fRfoQOoXpZY1iWQ%3D%3D.Eu8N4WYSp%2F8KBpLQLV5ZfoM%2FGFc9uSBUSp8yTxQzKRUrkI1fMQhg8%2FrqYi2hgnbxdgCw2fEaZ5yugIoTlMnBzILBvDFL4kyZzcPlJ7Am4e%2B4EeuFxtMDYwYxTAka6lrQSg6vk047zhVkDhYIJ2UaLJeEJzSeYt70VpAdktHIGK1jeamA5b4R0pG7olM6wa1RZKFPu5SttJde37DPtRA2%2B6tTiTjijjCy%2BMvBubmQeWyN%2BdTxLG58e512YKbgZ6g1QwQvyJXdeJKYOxR7yKzv8q0E2uJVcw4j97w3SU2XIPQ%3D
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: June 01, 2021, 08:05:25 AM »

It’s like they want someone to fix them, tether them, and march them off to Florida, mainly for their own good.

Actually that’s a bit harsh and would only be called for if there weren’t so few new republicans coming up behind the ones dying off, rendering themselves impotent with their foolishness, or being routed to prison, a number that projects to grow exponentially year upon year.

As it is, convincing them to stay home as much as possible, shutting up when they go out, and staying the fuck out of politics will suffice.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:11:26 AM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: June 01, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »

Josh

My "day and half" comment was re the recent drama. And this week-end squabble with Larry aside, I've cut way back on my posting in this forum. Speaking as a life-long liberal Dem, I found the pc-ness of the Elba's woke crowd laughable, and I mocked it, but at its core is intolerance and fear of not being woke enough.   

But I'll play by any rules imposed, PG, R or X, I prefer R, just as long as balls and strikes are called fairly.
So, you cave.

Sad.

And the response from that crowd of committed leftists here is to run away and create a safe space for talking about politics.

What? It's politics, not tiddlywinks.

The cabal of left-leaners here prompt two quotes to come to mind. 

"A liberal is a man who leaves the room when the fight begins." ---Heywood Broun (Bye, Larry. Bye, Barton.)

And, "Liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."---Lenny Bruce  (Josh, Little Stevie of AZ, the irrelevant Fac, bodidley...)

These guys have shown that they stand for nothing; they only stand against.

To be fair, the idiots on the right remind me of this quote: "In this world of sin and sorrow, there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."---H. L. Mencken

Moderation for political discussion is an imposed morality. And as Oscar Wilde put it, "Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people we personally dislike."

Think about it.

Heal yourself, weaklings.

Put your legs down.

Go indoors and stop sucking your cock in public.

I propose a 1 week ban for this

All in favor?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: June 01, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »

Good question.

I’m just glad about this

http://youtu.be/yDYi-9DxCJs

She’ll sail on if we keep marching.

Yes..."keep marching" to that tune of arrogance, exclusion, and naivete that warms your soul.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: June 01, 2021, 09:29:51 AM »

Josh

My "day and half" comment was re the recent drama. And this week-end squabble with Larry aside, I've cut way back on my posting in this forum. Speaking as a life-long liberal Dem, I found the pc-ness of the Elba's woke crowd laughable, and I mocked it, but at its core is intolerance and fear of not being woke enough.   

But I'll play by any rules imposed, PG, R or X, I prefer R, just as long as balls and strikes are called fairly.
So, you cave.

Sad.

And the response from that crowd of committed leftists here is to run away and create a safe space for talking about politics.

What? It's politics, not tiddlywinks.

The cabal of left-leaners here prompt two quotes to come to mind. 

"A liberal is a man who leaves the room when the fight begins." ---Heywood Broun (Bye, Larry. Bye, Barton.)

And, "Liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."---Lenny Bruce  (Josh, Little Stevie of AZ, the irrelevant Fac, bodidley...)

These guys have shown that they stand for nothing; they only stand against.

To be fair, the idiots on the right remind me of this quote: "In this world of sin and sorrow, there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."---H. L. Mencken

Moderation for political discussion is an imposed morality. And as Oscar Wilde put it, "Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people we personally dislike."

Think about it.

Heal yourself, weaklings.

Put your legs down.

Go indoors and stop sucking your cock in public.

All in favor?

No worries, kid. Larry is like the bison in Yellowstone. Protected species.

It is interesting to note, though how quickly the Uber Left Cabal went to work trying to dig up info on me, and admitted such,  once I wrote my name here.

The hypocrisy is boundless.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #8212 on: June 01, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »

“In Washington, 39 Republican senators called history education that focuses on systemic racism a form of “activist indoctrination.”
(...)

They like their history ethnically cleansed.   I haven't seen a shred of evidence that honestly showing students the history of oppression of blacks and indigenous people is causing some crisis in white self-loathing.  Indeed,  George Santayana's famous reminder should apply.   To know history is to stand a better chance of being freed from its more pernicious cycles.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #8213 on: June 01, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »

It is interesting to note, though how quickly the Uber Left Cabal went to work trying to dig up info on me, and admitted such,  once I wrote my name here.

You were great in that Brady Bunch episode!

Holly Martins

« Reply #8214 on: June 01, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »

All in favor?

I have seen you swear,  in response to posts that offended you.

And this post from Larry comes after several days of persistent trolling and left-bashing from someone who seems to maliciously misrepresent pretty much anyone who expresses a liberal/left opinion.   

So,  no.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: June 01, 2021, 10:02:30 AM »

Welcome to Elba Holly.

It always good to see new blood here in Elba, as the old farts here don't easily reproduce, and its been a tough year.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Any questions about local customs or must see/do areas of the island, just ask.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:04:20 AM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: June 01, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »

You were great in that Brady Bunch episode!

Same as we looked up Larry when he gave his full name.

And same as Petunia did on me.

One more tempest in a teapot.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #8217 on: June 01, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »

Josh,  why do I have to keep answering verification questions?   And why does the New York Times question require newbies to figure out it has to have a "The" in front of it?   For that matter,  why is this a question people need to know the answer to?   Are all newcomers required to know our site history before they join?   And the verification letter code is extremely hard to read.   

Hi,  Banks.   Newton says hello.   Heh.

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: June 01, 2021, 10:21:29 AM »

So,  Barton and Bo are both back.   Elba is the Hotel California, you can check out any time you like but...

I like The Third Man allusion.  We haven't found Lime yet.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: June 01, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »

Josh,  why do I have to keep answering verification questions?   And why does the New York Times question require newbies to figure out it has to have a "The" in front of it?   For that matter,  why is this a question people need to know the answer to?   Are all newcomers required to know our site history before they join?   And the verification letter code is extremely hard to read.   

Hi,  Banks.   Newton says hello.   Heh.

Hi Bart-I was pretty certain Molly wasn't one of Hammy's or Red's alter-egos.

Really there's a history entrance exam to gain entry to Elba?

It sounds like we're designed to keep people out and not be inclusive!

This should be thoroughly discussed by the Island's Council of Extremely Woke

LMAO

and Bart do you know how Elba got its name?
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 2929