Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 758243 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8640 on: June 05, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »

Poor Larry

He's laid up on drugs hallucinating about the day the Dem party loses its moderate white base totally.

"Free at last, free at last, Thank God all-mighty we're free at last"*

LMAO

And Larry "pull quoting" from yourself is not really necessary, you can just type your opinion,
Nor is it really pull quoting, but without delving into your reasons or motivations, or devining your intentions, it can create the impression that you're quoting someone else who shares your opinion.

Its kind of misleading Larry.

You can see that right?

Feel better soon.

* pull quoted from Larry's on-going fantasy/I had a wet-dream 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:58:42 PM by bankshot1 »

Holly Martins

« Reply #8641 on: June 05, 2021, 03:23:09 PM »

In case there are any fans of Sam Harris,  Michael Shermer,  Stephen Pinker,  Richard Dawkins,  et al here,  this perspective on some of their less-reasoned attacks on SJW,  BLM,  Muslims,  feminists, and other targets, may offer some caveats.   

https://www.salon.com/2021/06/05/how-the-new-atheists-merged-with-the-far-right-a-story-of-intellectual-grift-and-abject-surrender/

I used to admire Shermer as a skeptic and debunker,  so some of his antics have been disappointing to me.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: June 05, 2021, 03:40:51 PM »

Now if I were to pull something from Larry opinion piece that would be more kosher.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/08/22/remember-democrats-the-middle-of-the-road-is-where-you-get-run-over/

This is a pull quote from Larry's piece and its his concluding thought.

"...Conventional wisdom counsels the Democrats to tack to the middle and avoid “going too far left” but when have you heard members of the Very Smart People put forth “conventional wisdom” about the Republicans going too far right? Never. That’s why a tactic the GOP is putting a lot of weight behind will most likely backfire. They are determined to make “The Squad” the face of the Democratic Party.

The Squad IS the future of the Democratic Party, and fortunately the future is now."

As Larry may or may not have followed up on after the 2020 elections, is that the Repubs successfully exploited that tactic and blunted the expected blue tsunami and gained 10 seats in the House in '20 on fears of a too far left D-party. 

And "Never"? No that's just Larry's rhetoric and he's wrong.

There have been many smart R-voices from George Will, to Bill Kristol to Kasich etc thinking the R-party's move to the far authoritarian right has damaged the R-party.

And IMO its why current R-leaders around the country are relying on voter suppression, and not policy, to try and win elections. Simply, they are losing their base of more moderate voters.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 03:42:50 PM by bankshot1 »

Holly Martins

« Reply #8643 on: June 05, 2021, 03:54:02 PM »

In graphic design, a pull quote (also known as a lift-out pull quote) is a key phrase, quotation, or excerpt that has been pulled from an article and used as a page layout graphic element, serving to entice readers into the article or to highlight a key topic. It is typically placed in a larger or distinctive typeface and on the same page. Pull quotes are often used in magazine and newspaper articles, annual reports, and brochures, as well as on the web. They can add visual interest to text-heavy pages with few images or illustrations....   

Just so we're clear on what "pull quote" means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull_quote

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: June 05, 2021, 03:54:42 PM »

We need to send the world's best architects, designers, landscapers, etc, to Merced, California, as it becomes a route on our high speed rail, and we need to develop and grow the population of Merced, there can be retirement housing, and the homeless people can go there to get another chance at life, and UNICEF can send refugees to Merced, etc. And as business students graduate from Pepperdine and from our other great schools then they can create jobs in Merced, etc. Merced can be a land of opportunity and second chances. And there are farm jobs, etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced,_California

If you are going to grow and develop, then it should be done nice, people need to build nice stuff, if you are going to build then have fun and build great stuff that people can enjoy. 

People also need to remember that California is a resort state, and a tourist destination, and certainly tourists will come to ride our high speed train. 

Salute,

Tony V.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: June 05, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »

In graphic design, a pull quote (also known as a lift-out pull quote) is a key phrase, quotation, or excerpt that has been pulled from an article and used as a page layout graphic element, serving to entice readers into the article or to highlight a key topic. It is typically placed in a larger or distinctive typeface and on the same page. Pull quotes are often used in magazine and newspaper articles, annual reports, and brochures, as well as on the web. They can add visual interest to text-heavy pages with few images or illustrations....   

To be clear Bart, what is your feeling about a poster posting a quote, with little or no attribution to authorship, to presumably create the impression of agreement with that poster's opinion. Is it misleading?

If I quoted 6 unattributed quotes that I had made, and implied that there were 6 others who shared my opinion, is that not misleading?

You're a moderator of a political forum, what's your take?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 04:11:02 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8646 on: June 05, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »

Poor Larry

He's laid up on drugs hallucinating about the day the Dem party loses its moderate white base totally.

LMAO

And Larry "pull quoting" from yourself is not really necessary, you can just type your opinion,
Nor is it really pull quoting, but without delving into your reasons or motivations, or devining your intentions, it can create the impression that you're quoting someone else who shares your opinion.

You can see that right?

Feel better soon.

I’m not an meds and I’m out of here in the morning.

A pull quote is a quote pulled from an article. That’s all.

”...a brief, attention-catching quotation, typically in a distinctive typeface, taken from the main text of an article and used as a subheading or graphic feature.”

This article is almost two years old and I believe it’s perspective has been borne out in the last few cycles.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8647 on: June 05, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »

To be clear Bart, what is your feeling about a poster posting a quote, with little or no attribution to authorship, to presumably create the impression of agreement with that poster's opinion. Is it misleading?

If I quoted 6 unattributed quotes that I had made, and implied that there were 6 others who shared my opinion, is that not misleading?

You're a moderator of a political forum, what's your take?

Bruh,

The quote is derived directly from the article.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: June 05, 2021, 04:33:42 PM »

Poor Larry

LMAO

You can see that right?

Feel better soon.

”...a brief, attention-catching quotation, typically in a distinctive typeface, taken from the main text of an article and used as a subheading or graphic feature.”

This article is almost two years old and I believe it’s perspective has been borne out in the last few cycles.

Larry the issue is not the pull quote, but rather you're quoting yourself and potentially creating a false impression of support.

One would not know you were quoting yourself unless they clicked the link and read the article and could ID the author as you.

IMO a more honest approach would have been to have written,

"Here's an article I wrote in 2019" and pull the quote you wanted to hi-light.

whether your conclusion was borne out seems somewhat in debate as the Dems lost 10 House seats in '20, because of fears stoked by Repubs that the Ds were moving too far left.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 04:38:55 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: June 05, 2021, 04:41:59 PM »

Larry the issue is not the pull quote, but rather you're quoting yourself and potentially creating a false impression of support.

Do any of us not know whose stuff is in the Shinbone Star?! "exjournalistsunite" has been his own voice all the way along.

Who do you think he is somehow deceiving, Banks?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8650 on: June 05, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »

Poor Larry

LMAO

You can see that right?

Feel better soon.

One would not know you were quoting yourself unless they clicked the link and read the article and could ID the author as you.

IMO a more honest approach would have been to have written,

"Here's an article I wrote in 2019" and pull the quote you wanted to hi-light.

whether your conclusion was borne out seems somewhat in debate as the Dems lost 10 House seats in '20, because of fears stoked by Repubs that the Ds were moving too far left.

Oh, for fuck’s sake, banks now you’re reaching.

One usually posts link with a quote so the reader will click the link and read the article.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: June 05, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/05/politics/family-self-separation-us-border/index.html

Biden's team needs to find another way. The leftover Trump process is broken, as we already knew.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: June 05, 2021, 04:59:06 PM »

Do any of us not know whose stuff is in the Shinbone Star?! "exjournalistsunite" has been his own voice all the way along.

Who do you think he is somehow deceiving, Banks?!

Josh

There is nothing in that link that says "Shinbone Star"

You would have to  click the link to discover that.

I do not read all the links posted here. I will read the excerpts and if interested, click a link and read the article.

I've already posted I've no idea how Larry's mind works or his intentions.

But I understand what can be viewed as misleading posting.

Larry simply could have IDed his opinion as his opinion, but for his reasons, he chose not to.

and IMO it creates a false impression.

I'm not sure why a simple act of transparency over authorship is so difficult for you to accept.

"Here's an article I wrote in 2019", is perfectly transparent, it IDs authorship and clears up any unstated conflict of interest between what is posted and what is linked as corroboration.

Its not that complicated.

And its honest.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8653 on: June 05, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »

Moderate Democrats neutered the ACA and sabotaged the Obama Administration

Moderate Democrats Sinema and Manchin are holding our very democracy hostage and standing in the way of Joe Biden’s transformational policies the GOP will not support.

Joe Biden didn’t just go BIG once in office he’s gone HUGE and if moderates were on board we could change the trajectory of the nation from the rule of oligarchs.

The GOP blocked the 1/6 bipartisan commission after getting every last concession they demanded.

The GOP voted against Covid19 relief policies yet try to take credit for the programs.

The GOP is attacking the wining margin of votes in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona and Georgia. Why because of the white moderate votes? No, black and browns and youths put Biden over the top in the urban centers. Since PoC were instrumental they must have cheated. The BIG LIE is predicated on PoC shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

The GOP is basing all the new voter supremacy laws on a blatant LIE.

Black and Asian voters won the runoff in Georgia giving the Dems a 50/50 split advantage (VP) in the Senate.

So called white moderates fell for the GOP scare tactics around DEFUND THE POLICE and foolishly voted for the party responsible for half million deaths and a cratered economy.

If you hadn’t noticed the base of the Democratic Party is not made up of white moderates but an amalgam of black, brown, Asian, youths and unmarried women.

White majorities have voted Republican for forty years. Obama got fewer white voters in 2012 than he got in 2008.

Joe Biden got 44% of the white vote in 2020, 90% of the black vote, 63 % of Latino, 67% Asian.

If moderate white voters can be swayed by the fear of blacks and immigrants and students then they are not the base and should not be ignored but not catered to. The coalition bloc when mobilized make up the majority of the electorate.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: June 05, 2021, 05:06:38 PM »

Dogs in South Korea are usually killed by electrocution....

Do you eat the meat of land animals produced by factory farming? 

Dogs have been viewed as meat animals in Korea for millennia. 

All large-scale meat operations,  be they dog, pig, cow,  or poultry,  involve cruelty.

For a cold splash of reality Google: “Pets will eat...” and watch what comes up.

Taking a WAG the next three words are "their dead owner. " 

As an aside,  I'm a big fan of composting the dead.   Green burials okay,  too.

I'm a big fan of graves in cemeteries, that one can visit and lay flowers on.

Green burial allows stone markers.

What is green burial?
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 2928