Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 758053 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8670 on: June 05, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »

In graphic design, a pull quote (also known as a lift-out pull quote) is a key phrase, quotation, or excerpt that has been pulled from an article and used as a page layout graphic element, serving to entice readers into the article or to highlight a key topic. It is typically placed in a larger or distinctive typeface and on the same page. Pull quotes are often used in magazine and newspaper articles, annual reports, and brochures, as well as on the web. They can add visual interest to text-heavy pages with few images or illustrations....   

Just so we're clear on what "pull quote" means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull_quote
To be clear Bart, what is your feeling about a poster posting a quote, with little or no attribution to authorship, to presumably create the impression of agreement with that poster's opinion. Is it misleading?

If I quoted 6 unattributed quotes that I had made, and implied that there were 6 others who shared my opinion, is that not misleading?

You're a moderator of a political forum, what's your take?

I don't feel misled on this,  Banks.   Everyone knows Shinbone stuff is Larry,  and it's been clear when he's reposting from his articles there.   If he posts some other Shinbone writer,  he mentions that.   I'm not privy to every chat here,  but I have not seen any attempt to mislead.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: June 05, 2021, 06:03:45 PM »

Larry in the future when you decide to quote yourself, just write, "This is something I wrote in...

It will clear up any confusion about conflicts of interest and would enhance transparency and honest discussion re "pull quotes" and their source.

feel better soon

LMAO

EDIT  Larry still is sticking to his narrative that I did not read it, but some how quoted from it.

neat trick.

Larry I read it.

Larry is putting attribution to everything these days. I take it as a reminder that there’s a broken poster lurking out there ready to add poop to any mole hill he can find till it becomes mountainous, and he tends to do it for no good reason at all. I thought this was a nice way for Larry to hang a scarlet letter on this poster (A is for Asshole, in this case) without being pedantic or boring about it.

The poster took issue with it right away.

Clearly the pooping poster has issues.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: June 05, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »

In graphic design, a pull quote (also known as a lift-out pull quote) is a key phrase, quotation, or excerpt that has been pulled from an article and used as a page layout graphic element, serving to entice readers into the article or to highlight a key topic. It is typically placed in a larger or distinctive typeface and on the same page. Pull quotes are often used in magazine and newspaper articles, annual reports, and brochures, as well as on the web. They can add visual interest to text-heavy pages with few images or illustrations....   

To be clear Bart, what is your feeling about a poster posting a quote, with little or no attribution to authorship, to presumably create the impression of agreement with that poster's opinion. Is it misleading?

If I quoted 6 unattributed quotes that I had made, and implied that there were 6 others who shared my opinion, is that not misleading?

I don't feel misled on this,  Banks.   Everyone knows Shinbone stuff is Larry,  and it's been clear when he's reposting from his articles there.   If he posts some other Shinbone writer,  he mentions that.   I'm not privy to every chat here,  but I have not seen any attempt to mislead.

So you knew he was quoting from Shinbone when Shinbone was not mentioned in his post or link?

You knew he was quoting himself just from the post?

Fascinating.

But to the question I asked, Larry's unattributed Shinbone aside.

What is your feeling about a poster posting a quote, with little or no attribution to authorship, to presumably create the impression of agreement with that poster's opinion. Is it misleading?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: June 05, 2021, 06:12:02 PM »

Larry in the future when you decide to quote yourself, just write, "This is something I wrote in...

It will clear up any confusion about conflicts of interest and would enhance transparency and honest discussion re "pull quotes" and their source.

feel better soon

LMAO

EDIT  Larry still is sticking to his narrative that I did not read it, but some how quoted from it.

neat trick.

Larry I read it.

Larry is putting attribution to everything these days. I take it as a reminder that there’s a broken poster lurking out there ready to add poop to any mole hill he can find till it becomes mountainous, and he tends to do it for no good reason at all. I thought this was a nice way for Larry to hang a scarlet letter on this poster (A is for Asshole, in this case) without being pedantic or boring about it.

The poster took issue with it right away.

Clearly the pooping poster has issues.

Larry is putting the words "pull quote" on everything he posts, to make light of an issue he rightly got called out about and which eventually he admitted making a mistake. I'm not aware all these "pull quote" posts were authored by Larry. I generally read a line and then scroll to the next post.

My issue Fac, to the extent I have one, is transparency in what gets posted here.

Larry could have taken ownership of the recent 2019 article he posted today and with which he agreed with, but he left ownership undeclared, and only if you read beyond the "pull quote" would you have an idea who wrote the opinion piece.

Larry agreeing with Larry is not a very persuasive argument to me.

Hmm Larry likes what Larry has to say, maybe I should reconsider

LMAO

YMMV
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 06:16:21 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: June 05, 2021, 06:15:09 PM »

Should Larry re-chew your mushy peas for you as well?

The whole republican platform is unpopular. What is to the right of the main republican stream is disgusting, toxic, and offensive. The republican fringe seizing the party has filled it with worse and less palatable ideas than it had before which is why that highjacking is widely recognized as leading to the unfolding destruction of the republican party and republicanism in any non rabid-delusional form.

The Democratic platform is popular because it leads to better economic outcomes combined with better quality of life in a more just society for all Americans. To the left of mainstream Democratic positions are many positions even more popular with the public than the Democratic mainstream because they are good ideas that will make life even better for most Americans at negligible cost to society.

Secessionist treasonous bastards in the Republican Party are glad to see you running to pump the breaks, Banks, especially since their failed election followed by their failed coup has them kicked off the train entirely. It’s comfort to these craven miscreants that you remain onboard to do their work.   
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Holly Martins

« Reply #8675 on: June 05, 2021, 06:19:43 PM »

Pooping One,

Don't the URLs say something like exjournalistsunite or whatever,  clearly indicating a Shinbone piece?  Are you really incapable of decoding the URL?   In any case,  the purpose of a pull quote is inviting the reader to click on the piece.   If you don't bother to click,  then what on God's green earth are you griping about?   You're not in the discussion if you aren't reading the link.  If Larry makes an argument, it's contained in the piece,  not in him "agreeing with himself. " You're just  wasting everyone's time.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: June 05, 2021, 06:19:54 PM »

The whole republican platform is unpopular. What is to the right of the main republican stream is disgusting, toxic, and offensive. The republican fringe seizing the party has filled it with worse and less palatable ideas than it had before which is why that highjacking is widely recognized as leading to the unfolding destruction of the republican party and republicanism in any non rabid-delusional form.

The Democratic platform is popular because it leads to better economic outcomes combined with better quality of life in a more just society for all Americans. To the left of mainstream Democratic positions are many positions even more popular with the public than the Democratic mainstream because they are good ideas that will make life even better for most Americans at negligible cost to society.

Secessionist treasonous bastards in the Republican Party are glad to see you running to pump the breaks, Banks, especially since their failed election followed by their failed coup has them kicked off the train entirely. It’s comfort to these craven miscreants that you remain onboard to do their work.

Fac you just on keep on sucking his dick and Larry can gum his peas.

And I'll mock the both of you for an inability to honestly deal with transparency.

And both of you can swallow your respective loads together.

We good?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8677 on: June 05, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »

*This is a pull quote

*”The American Legion Department of Ohio does not hold space for members, veterans, or families of veterans who believe that censoring black history is acceptable behavior,” it also said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/04/jim-garrison-resign-veteran-mic-cut-memorial-day/

I think you can drop the pull quote line, now.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: June 05, 2021, 06:25:09 PM »

Pooping One,

Don't the URLs say something like exjournalistsunite or whatever,  clearly indicating a Shinbone piece?  Are you really incapable of decoding the URL?   In any case,  the purpose of a pull quote is inviting the reader to click on the piece.   If you don't bother to click,  then what on God's green earth are you griping about?   You're not in the discussion if you aren't reading the link.  If Larry makes an argument, it's contained in the piece,  not in him "agreeing with himself. " You're just  wasting everyone's time.

or whatever? How about Shinbone is not listed anywhere in that post?

How about the truth dickhead?

exjournalist is in the website link.

thats it.

how many writers does exjournalist employ?

I've no idea.

Larry is just one of the bloggers there.

But you know an unattributed quote was written by Larry?.

Bart you're prescient.

WHAT AM I THINKING RIGHT NOW?

LMAO

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8679 on: June 05, 2021, 06:28:28 PM »

So you knew he was quoting from Shinbone when Shinbone was not mentioned in his post or link?

Fascinating.

What is your feeling about a poster posting a quote, with little or no attribution to authorship, to presumably create the impression of agreement with that poster's opinion. Is it misleading?

For the last time

The quote comes directly from the text.

There is no rule that requires anything further.

The poster is posting an article.

PERIOD
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8680 on: June 05, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »

Fac you just on keep on sucking his dick and Larry can gum his peas.

And I'll mock the both of you for an inability to honestly deal with transparency.

And both of you can swallow your respective loads together.

We good?

You are wrong banks and have been for a year.

Let it go.

I proved my point and I don’t see the need to go the route of “Waging battle with facts and reasoned arguments” when you bring neither to this.

You’re not being honest, you’re being a schmeckle.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: June 05, 2021, 06:36:21 PM »

Fascinating.

For the last time

The quote comes directly from the text.

There is no rule that requires anything further.

The poster is posting an article.

PERIOD

Larry

you can post whatever you like

you can pull whatever you like

you can pull for as long as you like

but the bottom line is Larry agrees with Larry.

BFD

Its disingenuous

and easily remedied by openly taking ownership of an unattributed article that you are agreeing with

I made my point, I expect to be mocked but c'est la woke

I'll let you boys get back to the circle jerk

have fun

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8682 on: June 05, 2021, 06:37:49 PM »

Pooping One,

or whatever? How about Shinbone is not listed anywhere in that post?

How about the truth dickhead?

exjournalist is in the website link.

thats it.

how many writers does exjournalist employ?

I've no idea.

Larry is just one of the bloggers there.

But you know an unattributed quote was written by Larry?.

Bart you're prescient.

WHAT AM I THINKING RIGHT NOW?

LMAO

How about Shinbone is not listed anywhere in that post?

How about the masthead?

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: June 05, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »

As we build and grow, in Merced, and elsewhere, we need to be smart, and we can put the poor people into safe custom apartments with all of the amenities, instead of putting people into boring dangerous trailer parks. Trailer parks are for lazy people with no imagination.

People can build custom small apartments which can be made affordable, and there can be swimming pools, and jacuzzis, and tennis courts, and clubhouses for parties, and there can be golf courses, and parks, and a grocery store with healthy food in every neighborhood, etc.

The community can come in and add community theatre, and opera, and dance, and movie theatres, and concert halls, etc.

In the old days they had public dances with live bands, communities can do that again, people can have parties at their apartment complexes and there can be dancing, etc. And people can dance by the pool like an Annette Funicello movie.

People need to plan wise as they build. And we can build fun stuff instead of ghettos and dangerous trailer parks. And just because a place is cheap does not mean that it has to be dirty and dangerous and ugly. We can build nice places that can still be cheap.

Here is a video from a mahi mahi taco party that we had here at my apartment complex...

https://youtu.be/x4K7dnixw5I

People can have fun, and just because you are poor does not mean that you need to be unhappy and miserable and you should not have to live in a dangerous neighborhood.

We need to plan wise, and we can build fun stuff that people can enjoy.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8684 on: June 05, 2021, 06:43:28 PM »

Banks is just pissed I no longer let his keyboard bullying go unaddressed.

You were wrong last year.

You’re wrong now.

Man up and take the “L”

Taking the position everyone else is wrong except you is childish and unbecoming of a person always hollering about honesty.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 2928