Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757918 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8700 on: June 06, 2021, 12:26:02 AM »

Thanks Josh. Now we’re starting to get the picture.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: June 06, 2021, 12:28:11 AM »

There's been a lot of focus on the Tulsa massacre, whose anniversary we've been observing - and understandably so.

But June 3rd started the anniversary of another American travesty.

Pachuco is in East Los Angeles, California.
June 3, 2021

Today marks the 76th anniversary of the Zoot Suit Riots.

For those of you reading who aren’t familiar with the topic, Pachucos and Pachucas were mostly (but not exclusively) Mexican American men and women who defended their barrios (neighborhoods) from white supremacy and racism. They did this in the form of their suits which were made illegal at the time and also by patrolling the streets and walking people home to make sure everyone was safe.

From June 3-8, 1943 200 sailors came to East LA/DTLA with clubs and with support of the police to beat Pachuc@s with clubs,knives, etc. The police were ordered not to arrest any servicemen and also participated in the rioting themselves. Media coverage portrayed them as enemies of the country - the @latimes listed them as agents from other countries against the US.... this led to the general public participating in the riots.

Over 500 (mainly Latino) were arrested. If you were Latino and outside they would literally just arrest you and take you in and have the right to gang up and beat you.

I’m thankful for learning this part of my history, as my abuelo wore the suit and my whole family is from East LA. It’s crazy to think 76 years later mi gente is still fighting for their right to live in their own neighborhood without being kicked out due to the new enemy gentrification.

There’s so much to write on this topic but if you’d like some book leads I’d be more than happy to share. Much love and thoughts with the ancestors for always staying true to their people and barrios. C/S @ East Los Angeles, California
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: June 06, 2021, 01:44:51 AM »

http://gizmodo.com/nasa-has-spotted-sneaky-methane-emissions-from-the-bigg-1847035888

Polluters like this should be put down range of America’s new Swiss Army knife.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: June 06, 2021, 02:09:22 AM »

http://gizmodo.com/nasa-has-spotted-sneaky-methane-emissions-from-the-bigg-1847035888

Polluters like this should be put down range of America’s new Swiss Army knife.

Will this DoJ actually go after them?

It will take some serious prison time before those companies' executives are going to change their ways.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: June 06, 2021, 02:46:38 AM »

A cease and desist up front and full dollar fines on the backend should slow the pollution and put the polluters on the block so they can be stripped for useful assets by more desirable industries while their execs simultaneously fend of criminal prosecutions and being sued out of existence by their angry shareholders who either didn’t know about it or thought they wouldn’t get caught.

Bust em out Enron style. It’s the only answer.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: June 06, 2021, 05:42:42 AM »

Ending the filibuster would not leave the Democrats to go it alone in the Senate to pass legislation. All the Senate independents are with the Democrats on those votes.

It is the republicans who stand alone in their abuse, neglect, and victimization of the United States.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: June 06, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »

This is a POOL quote from an article about one if my best friend's kids, as the Summer Olympics nears.

Caeleb Dressel has been in the limelight recently as the Tokyo Olympics are about to kick off this year. He is one of if not the fastest swimmers when it comes to short sprint events, which is evident from his two Olympic golds and thirteen World Champion titles.

Let's look at the most likely candidate to break Michael Phelps’ Olympic record of 23 gold medals.

Caeleb Dressel’s Olympic History

Caeleb Dressel can swim freestyle, butterfly and breaststroke to the highest of standards. This versatility can help him compete in upto 7 events at the Olympics. He finished 2nd in the 100m freestyle qualifying race for Rio 2016, which ensured a place for him in the relay team as well. At the Rio 2016 Olympics, Caeleb Dressel bagged 2 gold medals in the 4 x 100 freestyle and medley events but missed out on a podium finish in the 100m freestyle.

Since 2016, Caeleb has upped his performance as well as fitness and the results showed. He broke several national records in the NCAA in 2017 and won the “Male NCAA Swimmer of the Year” award 2 times in a row in 2017 and 2018. Continuously performing at the top level since then, Caeleb Dressel is now favorite to win most of his events in the Tokyo Olympics scheduled for this summer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/swimming/caeleb-dressel-olympics-tokyo2021-michael-phelps

I'll be rooting for the talented Mr. Dressel and the rest of the Americans this summer, while some of you will still be reading Larry's and Banks's argument about June 4, 2020.

Here's the link for those of you who actually read links: https://www.sportskeeda.com/swimming/caeleb-dressel-olympics-tokyo2021-michael-phelps
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8707 on: June 06, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »

I’ll be rooting for Team USA as I have since the Tokyo Olympics of 1964
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »

This is a POOL quote from an article about one if my best friend's kids, as the Summer Olympics nears.

Caeleb Dressel has been in the limelight recently as the Tokyo Olympics are about to kick off this year. He is one of if not the fastest swimmers when it comes to short sprint events, which is evident from his two Olympic golds and thirteen World Champion titles.

Let's look at the most likely candidate to break Michael Phelps’ Olympic record of 23 gold medals.

Caeleb Dressel can swim freestyle, butterfly and breaststroke to the highest of standards. This versatility can help him compete in upto 7 events at the Olympics. He finished 2nd in the 100m freestyle qualifying race for Rio 2016, which ensured a place for him in the relay team as well. At the Rio 2016 Olympics, Caeleb Dressel bagged 2 gold medals in the 4 x 100 freestyle and medley events but missed out on a podium finish in the 100m freestyle.

Since 2016, Caeleb has upped his performance as well as fitness and the results showed. He broke several national records in the NCAA in 2017 and won the “Male NCAA Swimmer of the Year” award 2 times in a row in 2017 and 2018. Continuously performing at the top level since then, Caeleb Dressel is now favorite to win most of his events in the Tokyo Olympics scheduled for this summer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/swimming/caeleb-dressel-olympics-tokyo2021-michael-phelps

I'll be rooting for the talented Mr. Dressel and the rest of the Americans this summer, while some of you will still be reading Larry's and Banks's argument about June 4, 2020.

Here's the link for those of you who actually read links: https://www.sportskeeda.com/swimming/caeleb-dressel-olympics-tokyo2021-michael-phelps
I love watching Dressel swim.  That sub 40 time on 100yd free (SC) shown on the clip in that article is almost incomprehensible.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: June 06, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »

I love watching Dressel swim.  That sub 40 time on 100yd free (SC) shown on the clip in that article is almost incomprehensible.

Stunning. What's truly incomprehensible to me is the fact that his dad and I swam competitively together in our glorious youth. And there was a guy in our league we used to draw straws to see which of us would have to go up against in which we were guaranteed 2nd place.

His name was Steve Gregg, and he won a silver medal in the 1976 Olympics 200m butterfly.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #8710 on: June 06, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »

There should be a sports forum here,  for you all to post this stuff in.   

Meanwhile,  back in the Biden administration forum....

The big DINO strikes again....

“Voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen,″ Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia wrote in a home-state newspaper, the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

He said that failure to bring together both parties on voting legislation would “risk further dividing and destroying the republic we swore to protect and defend as elected officials.”

The bill would restrict partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, strike down hurdles to voting and bring transparency to a murky campaign finance system that allows donors to anonymously bankroll political causes. Among dozens of other provisions, it would require states to offer 15 days of early voting and allow no-excuse absentee balloting....   

Really hard to follow Joe's reasoning that getting rid of gerrymandering, dark money,  and curtailed early voting is "partisan. "   The reforms seem to be the very essence of leveling the playing field.   Joe seems to have drunk the McKoolaid of minority white rule.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #8711 on: June 06, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »

There's been a lot of focus on the Tulsa massacre, whose anniversary we've been observing - and understandably so.

But June 3rd started the anniversary of another American travesty.

Pachuco is in East Los Angeles, California.
June 3, 2021

Today marks the 76th anniversary of the Zoot Suit Riots.

For those of you reading who aren’t familiar with the topic, Pachucos and Pachucas were mostly (but not exclusively) Mexican American men and women who defended their barrios (neighborhoods) from white supremacy and racism...

Many travesties against Mexican-Americans...

https://laist.com/news/dodger-stadium-chavez-ravine-battle

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: June 06, 2021, 12:01:39 PM »

Watching Manchin doing his bullshit dance on the Sunday talk shows this AM is a master-class of playing both ends against the middle.

IMO bi-partisan to him means getting Sen Collins to wring her hands, Murkowski to wrinkle her brow, and get Rs to chop another $500 billion from the infra-structure bill. Just as long as bridges get built in WV, Inuit get dial-up service, and Bath Iron Works gets some new iron and a bath.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8713 on: June 06, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »

There should be a sports forum here,  for you all to post this stuff in.   

Meanwhile,  back in the Biden administration forum....

The big DINO strikes again....

“Voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen,″ Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia wrote in a home-state newspaper, the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

He said that failure to bring together both parties on voting legislation would “risk further dividing and destroying the republic we swore to protect and defend as elected officials.”

The bill would restrict partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, strike down hurdles to voting and bring transparency to a murky campaign finance system that allows donors to anonymously bankroll political causes. Among dozens of other provisions, it would require states to offer 15 days of early voting and allow no-excuse absentee balloting....   

Really hard to follow Joe's reasoning that getting rid of gerrymandering, dark money,  and curtailed early voting is "partisan. "   The reforms seem to be the very essence of leveling the playing field.   Joe seems to have drunk the McKoolaid of minority white rule.

Fucking “Moderate Democrats” strike again.

That guy is living in an alternate reality.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: June 06, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »

I think those are totally partisan - they level the playing field, taking away the advantages of the GOP.

Reducing others' power is working against them, regardless of whether their power was right or not.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 2928