Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 758388 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8851 on: June 08, 2021, 03:12:26 AM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/06/07/there-is-no-solution-to-the-gops-vaccine-refusal/

I’m also happy to let right wingers eat rat poison if that’s what trump encourages them to do next.

Insurrections, however, will be brutally put down and insurrectionists slighted like the medieval castles of rebel lordlings too big for their own petards.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: June 08, 2021, 06:42:07 AM »

B lack

M yths

M atter?

One of the most pernicious myths about police shootings is that officers shoot unarmed black men at an alarming rate, when in fact just 2% of the people who were killed by an officer were unarmed and black.  Since the beginning of 2015, law enforcement officers across the country have actually killed 33 more unarmed white people than unarmed black people.

While it is true that since whites comprise 76.3% of the US population and blacks comprise just 13%, black people are statistically more likely to be shot and killed by law enforcement officers; multiple scientific studies have proven that racial animus is not a factor in this disparity.

The most recent, which was published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2019, found “no significant evidence of antiblack disparity in the likelihood of being fatally shot by police,” and instead determined that “race-specific county-level violent crime strongly predicts the race of the civilian shot.”

In other words, it is the violent crime rate of a given race—not race itself—that determines the likelihood a member of that race will be shot and killed by a law enforcement officer.

https://www.maciverinstitute.com/2021/04/the-truth-about-police-shootings-in-america/

Take this Koch Bros bullshit and stuff it up your nose

That's not a rebuttal, Corporal.

Even Alex Trebec would have told you that.

It’s propaganda disbursed through another ALEC

Right wing “Think Tank.”

Hard Pass

If it is "propaganda", you haven't explained why.

So, you might want to read it, evaluate, and rebut it the way real people dispute things--with counterarguments based on facts.

We'll wait.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: June 08, 2021, 06:53:28 AM »

B lack

M yths

M atter?

One of the most pernicious myths about police shootings is that officers shoot unarmed black men at an alarming rate, when in fact just 2% of the people who were killed by an officer were unarmed and black.  Since the beginning of 2015, law enforcement officers across the country have actually killed 33 more unarmed white people than unarmed black people.

While it is true that since whites comprise 76.3% of the US population and blacks comprise just 13%, black people are statistically more likely to be shot and killed by law enforcement officers; multiple scientific studies have proven that racial animus is not a factor in this disparity.

The most recent, which was published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2019, found “no significant evidence of antiblack disparity in the likelihood of being fatally shot by police,” and instead determined that “race-specific county-level violent crime strongly predicts the race of the civilian shot.”

In other words, it is the violent crime rate of a given race—not race itself—that determines the likelihood a member of that race will be shot and killed by a law enforcement officer.

https://www.maciverinstitute.com/2021/04/the-truth-about-police-shootings-in-america/

I’ve got to go stab some bitches, but I’ll break down the bullshit in this piece for you when I get back.

Be a dear and don’t chew up the furniture too much while I’m away.

Enjoy the soft bigotry of my low expectations where you are concerned.

A promise is a promise, so here is a nice tidbit for your continuing education

Most racially motivated police violence, violence against minorities however justified to put them and keep them down, does not involve shootings. Chokings, beatings, degradations public and private, all are far more common at the hands of police than shootings - especially fatal ones.

Shooting someone has the greatest chance of causing death out of the various forms of blue on Black or Brown violence. Cops also know that bullets are easily traced back to the very gun that fired them, while a bruise is just a bruise and invisible trauma is just a story that just contradicts the ones told by the cops on the scene.

The argument in the article is akin to saying Matt Gates has never been accused of raping actual infants therefore he must be a nice guy.

The argument you quoted is bad faith bullshit to defend bad actors and evil ends.

There.

I hope you were taking notes.

I noted that you did not address the point about shootings, but shifted it to a different conversation about police brutality. But that is not what the quote was discussing. It was discussing police shootings.

You can't just show it is "bad faith bullshit" without disputing the information that was contained in this excerpt, and you haven't done so.

I'm not saying it is indisputable evidence of what is claimed here, but you've shown nothing to counter what has been presented, and perhaps that is only because you do not like the source of the information presented.

And, I get your point about a lack of evidence being found, not necessarily indicating that there is no racial animus applied in a systemic manner.

But to that point, you haven't proved it with anything other than your personal opinion, which in and of itself is not evidence.

The not-so-soft bigotry that you have displayed towards the source may be clouding your abilities to actually counter what the source says.

Consider the reference from the National Academy of Sciences was contained within the piece that stated: "There is widespread concern about racial disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings and that these disparities reflect discrimination by White officers. Existing databases of fatal shootings lack information about officers, and past analytic approaches have made it difficult to assess the contributions of factors like crime. We create a comprehensive database of officers involved in fatal shootings during 2015 and predict victim race from civilian, officer, and county characteristics. We find no evidence of anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparities across shootings, and White officers are not more likely to shoot minority civilians than non-White officers. Instead, race-specific crime strongly predicts civilian race. This suggests that increasing diversity among officers by itself is unlikely to reduce racial disparity in police shootings."

Further reading on that can be found here: https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

To be clear, examining a problem more closely, and considering various points of view while doing so is a responsible way to investigate the problem.

Be open to the possibility that things just may not line up the way you think they do.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:03:14 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8854 on: June 08, 2021, 07:42:24 AM »

B lack

M yths

M atter?

Right wing “Think Tank.”

Hard Pass

So, you might want to read it, evaluate, and rebut it the way real people dispute things--with counterarguments based on facts.

We'll wait.

Hold your breath, slick.

You’re asking me to dissect a lump of shit to discover the content of the roughage that produced said lump of shit.

Go fling your feces  elsewhere.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: June 08, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »

He performed poorly at the rookie combine. He was run ragged making media and commercial appearances in the months leading up to, and after, the 2014 NFL draft. At the NFL’s veteran combine, in March, Sam ran a 5.07 in the 40-yard dash, killing his short-term NFL chances. The team of advisors around him jumped at every contract placed in front of them, including appearing on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars,” which ended only one month before Sam signed with the Alouettes.

Playing the gay card. Gay LB who cares? Just too slow.

Luee

SEC Defensive Player of the Year

Kid PLAYED his position very well in pre season... 249th pick 11 tackles 3 sacks.

90% of players with those kind of numbers made it to a roster.

He wasn’t too slow.

He was gay.

How many out gay athletes in NFL?

Richie Incognito stayed in the league after bullying his team mate into retirement.

.Sam is gay.

The End

Never got on any short list

S

He ran a 5.07 40 . That is the number that matters. He made two team's rosters so gayness was not an issue. Just a very good college player not fast enough for the pros. A nice story for the media and a chance to take a swipe at the big bad NFL.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: June 08, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »

I think it's fair to say that if NFL owners had to keep a marginally talented guy on their roster they'd much more likely prefer such a marginally talented guy was not gay. 

Back in the early 90's, Charles Barkley pointed out (and was pilloried for his opinion) that NBA owners invariably would ensure that the last guy on their bench was white to appeal to the, ahem, less progressive members of the potential fan base.  I don't think owners, in any sport, act differently with regard to sexual preference. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: June 08, 2021, 09:46:13 AM »

B lack

M yths

M atter?

Right wing “Think Tank.”

Hard Pass

We'll wait.

Hold your breath, slick.

You’re asking me to dissect a lump of shit to discover the content of the roughage that produced said lump of shit.

Apparently, real discussion and analysis is beyond your ken.

At least fac gave it a shot. But you just back out entirely.

Holly Martins

« Reply #8858 on: June 08, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »

https://gregolear.substack.com/p/the-ukraine-fallacies-with-victor

When will we stop feeding the crocodile?

Indeed.   Some useful history and straight talk there.   And the etymology of Russia gets some clarification.  In fact,  the Rus were Scandinavian peoples who came down the Volga and had settlements there.   "Rus" is a Nordic word that means "rowers" i. e. "men who row. "  Vikings.   As he writes,  there was never some unified place with a native people who were "Russian. " 

Holly Martins

« Reply #8859 on: June 08, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »

In the movie Bone Collector (Denzel)...a husband and wife who hailed a cab at the airport are trapped in the back seat with doors locked and the screen locked...driver taking them thru the city not to 5th Ave as directed.
Husband found murdered, wife kidnapped and being tortured.
Moral...always carry several guns if you live in America.
Can't carry guns on a plane?
Always fly in daylight when you can rent a car, or take the bus.

It's a movie,  genius.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8860 on: June 08, 2021, 10:01:50 AM »

B lack

M yths

M atter?

Right wing “Think Tank.”

Hard Pass

We'll wait.

Hold your breath, slick.

Real discussion and analysis with you?

Fuck you. I am under no obligation to engage with you and I’d rather watch a Matlock rerun and I never liked the show.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:04:50 AM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8861 on: June 08, 2021, 10:05:44 AM »

Whoa!

Deja vu!

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: June 08, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »

B lack

M yths

M atter?

Right wing “Think Tank.”

Hard Pass

We'll wait.

Hold your breath, slick.

Real discussion and analysis with you?

Fuck you. I am under no obligation to engage with you and I’d rather watch a Matlock rerun and I never liked the show.

Guess you manned down.
  Heh

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: June 08, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »

---New York Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called Vice President Kamala Harris’ comments on immigration "disappointing" on Monday, after Harris said during a press conference that migrants looking to cross the U.S. border should not come---

OK catfight between the looney fringe and the prez, hit in the face with the immigration crisis.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: June 08, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 2928