Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757959 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9090 on: June 10, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »

Yeah, I know.  But you cannot punish people for something they haven't done yet.

The point overlooked by just about everyone. The teacher was expressing an opinion on a PROPOSED new school policy.
Obviously the school board appears to treat the PROPOSAL a fait accompli
The point being the employee told his employers “Fuck what you say ima do what I want!”
Yes, and when he does it, it stops being protected speech and starts being an active violation of policy.
Then you acknowledge the Board’s premature punishment was misguided and stupid.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: June 10, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »

So the democrat brain trust “ appreciates “ Omar’s  “ clarification”.
What they really meant.
“ Hey moron, we have a big election coming up and cannot afford to lose any seats.
STFU!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: June 10, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »

Re Omar I'll give the Repubs about 6 hours and we should have full-blown talking points about Dems and their harboring rabid anti-semites.

Re Omar2: Fuck her and her false equivalents that she knows are divisive and a hot button and are going to set people off.

Although it probably draws some nice campaign cash from overseas.

This shouldn't impact '22.

Only one group on her list ever nuked a whole city. It’s the same one that invented concentration camps.

The tweet wasn’t specific about time and location, so there may be room for clarification and/or hedging there.

It sounds like she backed away from the repulsive tweet and instead focused on a specific question that she clarified. These were stand alone issues. But this is what she tweeted

We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban.

Seems Omar cherry picked. Germany? Poland? Russia? Cambodia? Sudan? Uganda?

As an aside, while the ww2 atomic bombings were horrific and killed around 140,00 Japanese, it ended the war in a week's time. I've never been convinced an invasion of Japan including traditional air raids in multiple cities (Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Kyoto, etc) would have been more humane, as the death toll would have been many multiples and the infrastructure decimated.

as a further aside, pre-banning I posted about my dad's service aboard a sub-hunter group in WW2. At war's end he and his ship had arrived in Pearl Harbor and had started naval training for the invasion of Japan. A multi-year war was envisioned.

If you want to make the case that would have been more humane, feel free.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:54:52 PM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: June 10, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »

Omar further clarified her remarks in a statement later on Thursday.

"On Monday, I asked Secretary of State Antony Blinken about an ongoing International Criminal Court investigations. To be clear: the conversation was about accountability for specific incidents regarding those ICC cases, not a moral comparison between Hamas and the Taliban and the U.S. and Israel," Omar said. "I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems."   

Fucking A,  is context just permanently beyond the grasp of the marching morons?

In their old age, Banks’ children will look back on Omar as their favorite President since AOC and wish there had been a way to give her a third term in office because of how well she represents America’s political center.

Fac-I'm heartened that you think you have a clue how my kid thinks. But I have my doubts.

I do not like Omar, I believe her to be a loose cannon, irresponsible and she may be anti-semitic, I do not trust her.

YMMV

Not sure how my kid feels. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: June 10, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »

So the democrat brain trust “ appreciates “ Omar’s  “ clarification”.
What they really meant.
“ Hey moron, we have a big election coming up and cannot afford to lose any seats.
STFU!

If pustulent dickworms like yourself weren’t plotting to overthrow the government to create the world’s nastiest inbred ethnostate, we could afford to have a more far reaching and nuanced discussion about lots of things, this being one of them.

Take out the whole right wing wannabe junta, Red. We know you’ve tried to stockpile enough arms and ammo.

Do something productive with yourself for once in your life.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: June 10, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »

Rep. Omar has an axe to grind when it comes to the U.S. role in the Muslim world. She’s not giving near as much oxygen to Chiquita’s and The School of the Americas’ roles in wrecking South and Central America, nor should one expect her to.

The beauty of living in a pluralistic Democratic society is that you get input from diverse voices in policy discussions, even from within the government itself, and even among elected officials when a close knit community organizes to get one of their own voted in.

At some point it was very weird to have Mormons in government or Jews or Atheists, but over time most people got more or less used to it. So it will be with Rep. Omar and the many like her coming up behind her now.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:14:37 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: June 10, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »

Fac

I'm all for a pluralistic society, the more the merrier, but I can question some of the beliefs that I find objectionable.

And you can choose not to.

And in that same vein I'd expect you to be a vocal supporter of the voice of Marjorie Taylor Greene. :)

But I think she's also a loose cannon, irresponsible, dangerous (watch out if she gets her hands on a Jewish space laser) and also perhaps an anti-semite and I don't like her either.

And Fac perhaps your kids will look on Marjorie TG as their favorite President since Ivanka Trump, and wish there had been a way to give her a third term in office because of how well she represents America’s political center.

or not.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: June 10, 2021, 08:08:30 PM »

Yeah, I know.  But you cannot punish people for something they haven't done yet.

The point overlooked by just about everyone. The teacher was expressing an opinion on a PROPOSED new school policy.
The point being the employee told his employers “Fuck what you say ima do what I want!”
Yes, and when he does it, it stops being protected speech and starts being an active violation of policy.
I haven't reviewed the Board's action from the standpoint of the first amendment rights of public employees. I was responding practically.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9098 on: June 10, 2021, 08:36:33 PM »

Rep. Omar has an axe to grind when it comes to the U.S. role in the Muslim world. She’s not giving near as much oxygen to Chiquita’s and The School of the Americas’ roles in wrecking South and Central America, nor should one expect her to.

The beauty of living in a pluralistic Democratic society is that you get input from diverse voices in policy discussions, even from within the government itself, and even among elected officials when a close knit community organizes to get one of their own voted in.

At some point it was very weird to have Mormons in government or Jews or Atheists, but over time most people got more or less used to it. So it will be with Rep. Omar and the many like her coming up behind her now.

I’m sure growing up in the Somalia of the  early 90s played a large role in developing of her world view.

I think she’s incredible.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: June 10, 2021, 09:00:23 PM »

I haven't reviewed the Board's action from the standpoint of the first amendment rights of public employees. I was responding practically.
Well, thank goodness the Judge who ordered the teacher’s punishment reversed did.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: June 10, 2021, 09:06:16 PM »

We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban.

The US has committed unthinkable atrocities. I don't need to count the nukes.

Whether one wishes to count the mistreatment of Natives, Blacks, or Chinese, there is plenty to go around. The syphilis experiment, involuntary sterilizations... so many atrocities.

But yes, China, North Korea, Syria, Brazil, and Canada are others you could have put on your list. No shortage of countries that have committed atrocities.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9101 on: June 10, 2021, 09:09:49 PM »

This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL!

This is some really noxious shit pushed byTrump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/us/politics/justice-department-leaks-trump-administration.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: June 10, 2021, 09:21:33 PM »

The US has committed unthinkable atrocities. I don't need to count the nukes.

Whether one wishes to count the mistreatment of Natives, Blacks, or Chinese, there is plenty to go around. The syphilis experiment, involuntary sterilizations... so many atrocities.

But yes, China, North Korea, Syria, Brazil, and Canada are others you could have put on your list. No shortage of countries that have committed atrocities.

Yes the list of countries that could be accused of mistreating people they rule over is long and runs from A to Z.

Rather than seemingly target Israel, she should have been more inclusive. She's a bright politician and understands the power of her words on this matter, as she's engaged in this pointed and the heated rhetoric on more than one occassion. IMO she deliberately lit a fuse on an explosive matter with that tweet and people who object to her message are well within their right to question her motives.

Holly Martins

« Reply #9103 on: June 10, 2021, 09:25:31 PM »

Omar is smart, hardworking,  passionate about democracy,  and good-looking.   So much so that Red is always getting into angry disputes with his traitorous little bishop,  as it rises to attention whenever Ilhan crosses his mind.   This alarming scene (often ended by the forceful application of crushed ice and sharp blows with a rolling pin)  is analogous to my becoming aroused by....you know, I really can't think of an attractive Republican to make the analogy work.  Most GOP women resemble,  to me,  naked mole rats wearing fright-wigs.   Or extras from The Island of Dr Moreau.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: June 10, 2021, 09:27:37 PM »

This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL!

This is some really noxious shit pushed byTrump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/us/politics/justice-department-leaks-trump-administration.html

It ought to be a big deal, but the GOP folks don't care what they did, for the most part - as demonstrated by Kid's "WAS" in response to the former congresswoman's complaints about the current party.

Emotionally insulated.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 2928