Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757701 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9210 on: June 12, 2021, 11:06:48 AM »

Fucking “Moderates” and the motherfucking Kochs...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/joe-manchin-is-opposing-big-parts-of-bidens-agenda-as-the-koch-network-pressures-him.html

Without having read this,  I'll just say that harmonizing with the Kochs is not by any stretch "moderate. "  Manchin's pseudo-Democrat game is really tiresome.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9211 on: June 12, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »

Goddamn!

Why do white folks keep punching themselves in the dick?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/judge-orders-temporary-halt-4b-federal-loan-relief-program-farmers-n1270512?fbclid=IwAR1w2qtP5QFz5vwmFJW_0cMAFyGRP6YKdBrPXyVxi2KuAJ_JAxOkYq31sFI

If the USDA would have stayed with the original criterion of "socially disadvantaged, " and not interpreted that with a specific racial roster,  the program would have still reached black farmers and likely achieved its worthy goal.   And without white farmers who happen to be struggling not to lose their farms feeling excluded.   From what I've seen happening out here in flyover country,  there are a lot of farmers hurting,  and they'd be all for helping BIPOC farmers who are feeling that same pain.

Why is dealing with the reality of the situation so damn hard for folks who voted in the politicians that fucked them over for the past many decades?

Black farmers had their land and livelihood systematically taken by OFFICIAL USDA POLICY.

Agree,  which is why I want the program to go forward and am suggesting that smarter wording would help it get past hard-nosed judges.

Damn shame
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: June 12, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »

Do our less left-leaning members think that Trump's directing the DoJ to get congressional members' and families' data was appropriate?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/11/politics/justice-department-apple-congress-leak-investigation/index.html

Hasn't the Times (and the press in general) been wrong enough for you to pull the reins on this a bit?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: June 12, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »

Do our less left-leaning members think that Trump's directing the DoJ to get congressional members' and families' data was appropriate?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/11/politics/justice-department-apple-congress-leak-investigation/index.html

Hasn't the Times (and the press in general) been wrong enough for you to pull the reins on this a bit?

Got a specific issue with the story or the question?

Compared to Newsmax, OAN, and Fox, the NYT is as pure as Ivory Soap's famous claim, but it doesn't seem to stop you from leaning on them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: June 12, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »

A short trip back in time...

I think I got it right back then.

“When voters see Democrats moving people-friendly policies through the House, only to have Republicans kill those bills in the Senate, it will not reflect well electorally for the GOP.

The good guys shouldn’t worry about Republican tropes, like the number of Democratic candidates. As always, the cream will rise to the top. We must focus instead on holding on to the House while capturing a majority in the Senate.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/05/09/what-should-the-good-guys-do-in-the-wake-of-barrs-infamy/

Larry you've left out a few factors

Covid and Trump's mismanagement of the pandemic lost him the election.

That and a near dead economy with 10 million people out of work. And another 10 million wondering if they were next to either lose their job or get infected.

If Trump had listened to science and not looked so hopelessly incompetent he probably would have been re-elected, the House Dem losses have been greater, and the two Ga Senate seats would have likely stayed red.

If took 600,000 dead Americans, a near paralyzed economy, and a broad coalition of Americans marching in the streets in protest over George Floyd, to save the '20 election and American democracy.

I hope the Dems don't piss away the life line over the next year or so.

But other than that, you nailed it.

LMAO

If white voters don’t get all squishy over Defund the Police it’s a blow out.

“Oh but the looting and burning!”

Its unfortunate the woke left blames politics for political outcomes that smarter messaging could have avoided.

And more unfortunately it appears they are determined to make the same mistake again.

But the point was

If took 600,000 dead Americans, a near paralyzed economy, and a broad coalition of Americans marching in the streets in protest over George Floyd, to save the '20 election and American democracy.

that you avoided mentioning in your 2020 election recap.
Why can't both be true? T**** lost a lot of votes because of his epic mishandling of COVID and the Repo scare tactics about police reform worked. Take away either and the election outcome looks very different. We are talking about a pretty varied electorate, not like one guy.

Besides, what do the Dems do with the T**** fucked up COVID information for 2022? He won't be doing that again. I think people do not like gridlock and inaction. I also think that idea underlies Repo strategy in the Senate. That is why it is essential for Dems to put big proposals to a vote and make it clear Repos are responsible for the inaction.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: June 12, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »

Krooked Kiid, always gaslighting for his ass-master.

Wrong, sick, but very consistent.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: June 12, 2021, 02:10:07 PM »

Got a specific issue with the story or the question?

Compared to Newsmax, OAN, and Fox, the NYT is as pure as Ivory Soap's famous claim, but it doesn't seem to stop you from leaning on them.
Not enough context into the basis for the decision for me. I don't want to be like Red who so firmly entrenched himself into the IRS shut down right wing groups line he cannot retreat from it even when the facts show it is bull shit.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: June 12, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »

A short trip back in time...

I think I got it right back then.

“When voters see Democrats moving people-friendly policies through the House, only to have Republicans kill those bills in the Senate, it will not reflect well electorally for the GOP.

The good guys shouldn’t worry about Republican tropes, like the number of Democratic candidates. As always, the cream will rise to the top. We must focus instead on holding on to the House while capturing a majority in the Senate.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/05/09/what-should-the-good-guys-do-in-the-wake-of-barrs-infamy/

Larry you've left out a few factors

Covid and Trump's mismanagement of the pandemic lost him the election.

That and a near dead economy with 10 million people out of work. And another 10 million wondering if they were next to either lose their job or get infected.

If Trump had listened to science and not looked so hopelessly incompetent he probably would have been re-elected, the House Dem losses have been greater, and the two Ga Senate seats would have likely stayed red.

I hope the Dems don't piss away the life line over the next year or so.

But other than that, you nailed it.

LMAO

If white voters don’t get all squishy over Defund the Police it’s a blow out.

“Oh but the looting and burning!”

Its unfortunate the woke left blames politics for political outcomes that smarter messaging could have avoided.

And more unfortunately it appears they are determined to make the same mistake again.

But the point was

that you avoided mentioning in your 2020 election recap.
Why can't both be true? T**** lost a lot of votes because of his epic mishandling of COVID and the Repo scare tactics about police reform worked. Take away either and the election outcome looks very different. We are talking about a pretty varied electorate, not like one guy.

Besides, what do the Dems do with the T**** fucked up COVID information for 2022? He won't be doing that again. I think people do not like gridlock and inaction. I also think that idea underlies Repo strategy in the Senate. That is why it is essential for Dems to put big proposals to a vote and make it clear Repos are responsible for the inaction.
IMO if not for Trump' massive covid fuck-ups, and growing Pinochio-nose, we rebound quickly, the economy rebounds, and Trump wins re-election and as his coat-tails are longer than they were in real life and as most of America is not quarantined and pissed off and not watching George Floyd get murdered, and Dems and indies don't come out to vote in record #s, to vote the fascist out of office,  the Reichstag come to order. And German becomes the 2nd language of the Reich.

IMO covid gets played in '22 as the relief package America wanted but Mitch and the grinchs wouldn't give you. And IMO they are trying to stall as long as possible, to run some clock, under the guise of faux bi-partisanship to stymie Biden and Dem initiatives. But the Dems have to be selective in what they put forward, otherwise they'll get skewered on the messaging, like they did on Defund the police in '20

So no frivolous attempts to ban fire-arms, or no free college, or free healthcare for everyone, or whatever, but go hard on infrastructure and jobs as I recco'd last June, because most everyone wants, a new road, bridge, train terminal, schools, hospital, internet connectivity, etc. and the jobs and payola that comes with it, and if the Mitch and the grinches play the budget deficit or inflation card, fuck 'em with their own record of looting the treasury for the wealthy and big biz. And try to offset the off year impact and Repub gerrymandering and voter suppression, with a smart game plan.

So give the people some goodies, some stuff they want, but don't give Repubs the ammo to shoot you, because those motherfuckers each have 10 AR-15s and they know how to shoot.

and start to recapture middle-class voters by getting them used to voting D again . As then you'll be in a position to make longer term and bolder plans for social change.

BTW, whats with T****? Is this like Beetlejuice X3 ?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 03:24:04 PM by bankshot1 »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: June 12, 2021, 03:26:20 PM »

In a few days California opens back up, I am so happy.

The whole time that we were on the corona lock-down I saved my money, I saved the stimulus, I saved as much as I could, and now I am going to spend it as everything opens back up.

I am going to buy a new Apple laptop so that I can write movies and make movies, and I want to be able to write and publish books with it, etc.

And I want to get a new video camera.

I am also going to buy new clothes, and maybe an annual pass for Disneyland.

I am ready to go be around people again.

Here is a video of a song that a friend and his band dedicated to me at a packed club in Venice Beach on a Saturday night, about 10 years ago. It was a great night.

https://youtu.be/XAj82yZMJ-4

I am ready for things to open back up, and I want to make some new friends. I also want to get my movie made, and I want to get my poetry book published. It would be great to get a good woman too.

We survived the corona crisis, and now I am ready for things to open back up. I want to have some fun, and I want to make some money.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: June 12, 2021, 04:30:30 PM »

So we have people on both sides of the aisle who believe that America’s past was never really honorable and that her future is dim. It would be wrong to suggest this is the prevailing mainstream view, but it also would be wrong to suggest that this is some fringe position. On the right, it feels like Trumpian nationalism is ascendant. And while the 2020 Democratic primary results do not bear this out, it feels like Omar’s vision of America is also gaining steam on the left.

The obvious problem here is that if your entire narrative of America is a cynical history of exploitation and decline, you can’t inspire. If the past is just a litany of American failures and mistakes, there’s nothing to aspire to. And if you have universities and public schools that are teaching this cynical history, you’re betting against your own future.

But aside from the historical and moral reasons that this pessimism is destructive and damaging to us—both as individuals and as a nation—it’s also a political loser. At least it is for Democrats, who are ostensibly the party that believes the government can make our lives better. Imagine it’s halftime at a football game, and your coach delivers a stirring demotivational speech.

This poses a challenge for Biden, who with his thin majorities in Congress, has a huge problem in handling members who really think that America is the problem. If the rising faction in your party thinks everyone who is bullish on America is a nationalist if not a Nazi, then your party is in trouble.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blame-america-first-crowd-dragging-032826922.html

Yes. The left needs to STFU, and centrist Dems need to tell them just that, and why. So kudos for the Speaker calling out Omar.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: June 12, 2021, 04:38:04 PM »

In a few days California opens back up, I am so happy.

The whole time that we were on the corona lock-down I saved my money, I saved the stimulus, I saved as much as I could, and now I am going to spend it as everything opens back up.

I am going to buy a new Apple laptop so that I can write movies and make movies, and I want to be able to write and publish books with it, etc.

And I want to get a new video camera.

I am also going to buy new clothes, and maybe an annual pass for Disneyland.

I am ready to go be around people again.

Here is a video of a song that a friend and his band dedicated to me at a packed club in Venice Beach on a Saturday night, about 10 years ago. It was a great night.

https://youtu.be/XAj82yZMJ-4

I am ready for things to open back up, and I want to make some new friends. I also want to get my movie made, and I want to get my poetry book published. It would be great to get a good woman too.

We survived the corona crisis, and now I am ready for things to open back up. I want to have some fun, and I want to make some money.

Salute,

Tony V.

Don’t spend your savings too quickly. Maybe consider a used or slightly outdated laptop & camera.

LA & OC are only about 45% vaccinated. SD and Riverside are about 36% of the way there.

The Delta Variant is making its sweep, so please retain a bit of caution. Beaches, piers, parks, and squares are good. Keep to balconies and street seating when eating out or hanging out. Keep avoiding movie theaters and packed bars or clubs. Outdoor sports are still a far better bet than hitting the gym.

I’d hate to see the numbers rebound. There are a lot of idiots in this country who’d think nothing of killing you, their families and their loved ones for a chance to cut loose from their cabin fever.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: June 12, 2021, 04:40:17 PM »

Vatican News 

Yesterday  · 

Pope Francis calls for multilateral cooperation that places the person at the center, in efforts directed towards tackling the challenges of the Central American region, in a message to participants at a solidarity event organized by the Central American Integration System (SICA) for its 30th anniversary.

-------------------

When I lived in Malibu our maid was from El Salvador, she was a good Christian woman.

One way that we can help the people of Latin America is to send Labor Union Representatives to our Southern Border here in the USA to tell the immigrants where the good union jobs are.

Also, people around the world can look to Sunkist as a successful example of a way to create jobs for immigrants.
We also need for China to buy Orange Juice from California, etc, so that we can create jobs here in California for desperate people.

Also, in Latin America the people can be given business loans from the World Bank and from the IMF, etc. And new banks can be created in Latin America to fund businesses to create jobs.

We also need to focus on educating the children in Latin America, and it would be good to donate libraries, etc.

And Bambu, tell Australia to expand trade with Latin America, with Mexico and Colombia, Australians can buy coffee from the Colombians, and Latin America can send a lot of other great stuff to Australia, Mexico can send tequila and chili peppers, etc, everyone could benefit from expanding trade.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: June 12, 2021, 04:47:16 PM »

Banks and Ham have some points on policy and tenor they’d like to see adopted by Democrats. I’m willing to let go of doing the right thing for the half-assed and the cowardly in many cases, as you both suggest, as I think tenor and policy matter far less than whether or not every able organ of US government does everything in its power to squash sedition, election stealing, disinformation campaigns, and every republican plot that crosses any legal boundary in any perceptible way. Take republican leaders’ money, take their freedom, mute their voices, and show them for the scum they are or lose the country and the world. That what the future turns on. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: June 12, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »

Banks and Ham have some points on policy and tenor they’d like to see adopted by Democrats. I’m willing to let go of doing the right thing for the half-assed and the cowardly in many cases, as you both suggest, as I think tenor and policy matter far less than whether or not every able organ of US government does everything in its power to squash sedition, election stealing, disinformation campaigns, and every republican plot that crosses any legal boundary in any perceptible way. Take republican leaders’ money, take their freedom, mute their voices, and show them for the scum they are or lose the country and the world. That what the future turns on.

I'm consistent in my proposing a strategy in winning an election in '22 and consolidating power and then moving forward with other bolder initiatives in '24, '26 etc. I posted a year ago Biden had a chance to form a new broad coalition and become a latter day FDR.

There is nothing cowardly about strategic planning to win the fights you can win and minimize defeats which could carry losses far greater than some imagine.

Fac you're arguing a strawman, no one here has argued in favor of the Repub-Fascism club, if you gave it any thought, which clearly you have not, taking Repubs assets, taking their freedom and silencing them, borders upon a lawless fascist society and how it might handle dissident voices.

You seem conflicted. Fascism is ok if you carry the banner?

Its still fascism and a minority imposing its rule and tyranny on the majority.

I'd prefer majority rule, if thats still on the table.

And I'd prefer to take their power away through the electoral process. 

clearly YMV
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:09:53 PM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 2928