Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757631 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9270 on: June 13, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

I'm curious how many here people actually watched Maher and his editorial closing?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: June 13, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »

I did.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: June 13, 2021, 03:24:02 PM »

I'm curious how many here people actually watched Maher and his editorial closing?

I didn't.

As usual, when it comes to Maher, I wait for it to get filtered to "the good parts" version.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: June 13, 2021, 03:39:11 PM »

Holly answered you directly,  noting that  Maher and you attack a strawman.

I haven't met any progressives who think no progress has been made on civil rights.   

They're just not complacent because some progress has been made.   

You,  Hamuel, have yet to make your own case as to why the Left shouldn't continue to press for progress on civil rights and human dignity.   Thinking everything's cool,  that there's no need to keep working on these issues,  is the luxury of people who haven't had their rights or dignity trod upon.

saying that White power and privilege is at an all-time high is just ridiculous. Higher than a century ago, the year of the Tulsa Race Massacre? Higher than the years when the KKK rode unchecked and Jim Crow went unchallenged? Higher than the 1960s when The Supremes and Willie Mays still couldn't stay at the same hotel as the White people they were working with? Higher than during slavery?"

Maher concluded his monologue by saying "t's not a sin, and it's certainly not inaccurate, to say we've come a long way, baby. Not mission accomplished, just a long way."

Guess you and Yank skipped that part?

Demonizing the people who can truly bring about the change you want is a bad strategy.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: June 13, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »

Repeating a strawman doesn’t make it a valid point. Maher’s argument apparently is that people on the LEFT!!!!! are somehow fearful of acknowledging that progress has been made. Which people? Some hot-take talking clown (much like Maher) who likes to say things just to get a reaction? It’s a strawman argument because nobody seriously argues that progress has not been made, but plenty do argue seriously not enough and not fast enough.

Maher misses that. And so, apparently, do you. But hey you can keep arguing with Knicks. So go for it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:50:20 PM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: June 13, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »

I did.

And you did not understand his point?

I thought it pretty clear.

To paraphrase, warped and exaggerated hot takes on issues which he believes the overly woke, in particular millenials, who he enjoys poking fun at, reflexively rely on to bully contra-takes, and act as barriers to actually dealing effectively with problems.

And he named some issues where things are actually worse, like the environment, and the attack on US democracy, but some issues have progressed like LGBTQ issues and race issues, and he gave facts to support his opinion. But he added that progress need to continue, but to reflect where we are and where we've come from, is not wrong. 

We should remember that Maher is a comedian-philosopher, so he too may rely on hyperbole for an audience, but ratings are currency in his biz, but that does not make him wrong.

Hey yank how did you celebrate GAY Pride month as a kid?

heh
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:59:41 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: June 13, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »

Hey it's Strawman Ham.    I haven't met any progressives who think no progress has been made on civil rights.   

They're just not complacent because some progress has been made.

I think that Maher made a pretty good point, and no here on the left seems to know how to counter it other than to attack Maher or to dismiss the comment as being irrelevant to the broader discussion on the extremist views of the left.

I can’t speak for anyone else but to engage with you is like watching a primate in a zoo digging crap out it’s ass and flinging it at spectators.

Hard pass.

Waving the white flag so quickly? Good idea, since you failed to counter anything presented by Maher or answer the very direct question on the scope of white power and privilege.

You really should run and hide. It fits.

You have no dick.

You have no balls.

You have no point.

You have no argument.

Go be ashamed of yourself somewhere else.

We are very tired of being ashamed of you here.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: June 13, 2021, 04:00:30 PM »

And again he relies on loud-mouths (such as himself) yelling that progress hasn’t been made to stand for the proposition that all on THE LEFT!!!  feel that way. That would be like me saying that Kid’s opinions reflect the opinions off all dummies.

Though I guess hot-take guys tend to listen more to the noise of other hot-take guys.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:02:05 PM by Yankguy1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: June 13, 2021, 04:07:09 PM »

I consider myself on the LEFT and did not feel chastised at all by Maher.

I'm not sure he pigeon-holed the left as much as he did the unconscious far too woke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: June 13, 2021, 04:13:17 PM »

We agree then. I don’t feel chastised by him either. But I’m guessing for different reasons.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: June 13, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »

I guess we agree. I don’t feel chastised by him either. But I’m guessing for different reasons.

I generally agree with his direction. Not always but usually.

Why do you watch him if you don't like his style and he seems to annoy you?

And you never told me how you celebrated GAY PRIDE Month as a kid.

heh

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: June 13, 2021, 04:17:12 PM »

California opens back up in a couple of days, and we get to look around to see which businesses survived, sadly many did not make it.

We have a great little Mexican restaurant down the street that I am happy that it survived the corona crisis, the Guadalajara Restaurant, they used to be open 24 hours per day, we used to go there after concerts in the middle of the night, and after the clubs closed, etc, but now they have shorter hours, and they also reduced their menu, they used to have a huge menu with all kinds of great food, but I am grateful they survived, and hopefully they expand their hours again back to 24 hours per day, and I hope that they expand their menu again. They also need to serve margaritas.

Yesterday evening I walked down and got an all meat carne asada burrito with grilled onions and cilantro, with fresh squeezed lime juice and fresh made salsa, it was so good. They are expensive, it is $10 for a burrito, but their burritos are really great. And they use the highest quality ingredients, etc, it is good food.

I am happy that they survived the epidemic.

https://www.taqueriasguadalajara.com/

They also have good shrimp cocktails, but they are expensive, but for the price you are getting authentic Mexican food made with all of the best ingredients.

Salute,

Tony V.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: June 13, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »

The same reason I don't ignore, Kid, Red or Ham. 

Maher's interesting. 

And I'm not sure what the Gay Pride question means. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: June 13, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »

The same reason I don't ignore, Kid, Red or Ham. 

Maher's interesting. 

And I'm not sure what the Gay Pride question means.

I wouldn't pay $15 month for kid, Red or Ham.

Gay Pride was a snarky comment reflecting that we didn't have GAY PRIDE MONTH, or Gay Pride day, when we were kids.

Today its a marketing vehicle by global corporations.

whether that's progress or not, I'll have to check in with the woke brigade before I give you my take.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:31:55 PM by bankshot1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: June 13, 2021, 04:38:04 PM »

I wouldn't pay $15.00 a month for Maher.

Oh...  Same argument then.  I get it.  So yeah, there might be a couple of clowns arguing that progress in the rights of Gays (or African-Americans) has not been made; it's still a fair argument that not enough progress has been made and not fast enough.  Guess which "argument" the Maher's of the world focus on.

Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 2928