Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757577 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9345 on: June 14, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9346 on: June 14, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »

”After stoking fear of a Black uprising that would upend their way of life, endanger their women and bring about an unfathomable new American reality in which Black men—not white—governed, white city leaders pledged to “choke the current of the Cape Fear with carcasses” rather than allow Wilmington’s Black citizens to succeed, and lead.

When the carnage ended, more than 100 Black government officials—city councilmen, the city clerk, the treasurer, the city attorney and others—had been forced from their elected roles. Somewhere between 60 and 250 Black citizens were murdered.”

https://www.history.com/news/wilmington-massacre-1898-coup

On January 6, 2021 thousands of white supremacists stormed the US Capitol to ‘Stop the Steal’ for their anger was directed at the votes of BIPOC folks whose coalition provided the winning margins in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia.

If the insurrection had been successful the US government line of succession would have been decapitated and executive power would have remained with defeated president.

If that doesn’t tell where this nation is in terms of “progress” you’re either delusional, intellectually dishonest or stupid.

Achtung, motherfuckers!

If you feel the need to be patted on your back for ‘how far we’ve come’ then reach up and do it yourself.

”I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice” [...]

Martin Luther King - 1963
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:49:58 AM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: June 14, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »

”Go back and read Red's initial post and then Larry's dismissive response and the ones that followed.”

Since when am I obligated to respond to Red?

Since when am I obligated to respond to Ham/Uno/Utley?

How am I stifling Maher’s speech by deciding I’m not going to watch his show?

I told everyone why I don’t give a shit what Maher has to say so I have to hear “Oh, you think your people had it bad?”

To “your don’t say anything of value...” if nothing I say has weight or value why do you insist I engage in a discussion over what Maher had to say?

This is becoming a pattern. Ham who has been nothing but an asshole DEMANDS I answer his queries.

I tell him to go screw and here comes Banks to insist I engage with a fucking racist asshole.
Why is that, Jenna? Huh? Come on Jenna, tell me why I have to give Utley the time of day.

Elba

These (the bolded and enlarged above) are examples of a strawman argument.

Larry's response to his labeling Maher a "pot-smoking white privileged libertarian", rather than addressing the content of what Maher said as presented by Red's post, now has led to a series on strawmen that he proceeds to knock down.

No one said Larry had to do anything, but he chose to take Red's posts about Maher and turn it into a personal attack on Maher.

Now he complains that someone took issue with his response that no one forced him to make.

LMAO

How then "stifled?"

A QnD answer is

I did not suggest Maher's opinion was deleted or banned, which is another strawman, but rather, Maher's point as presented by Red's post, was stifled by a libertarian pillow thrown on it, making it less able to breathe on its own.

It was dismissed by several posters and not discussed largely due to Maher's being labeled a pot-smoking white-privved, lib, yada X3.

I could use Larry's pre-screened stifle approach to answering questions with anyone.

its easy

link 3 damning insults which appeal to the crowd and avoid the issue= STIFLED

Hope that helps Polaris.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:54:42 AM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: June 14, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »

That you still don't understand what a strawman is doesn't surprise me.    But thank God you no longer feel compelled to call Bankshot a child molester.

Arrogant sort, aren't you?

That you still cling to that which has already been shown to be NOT what the discussion was about shows a tendency to be as narcissistic and dismissive as you claim others to be.
It's really cute that you look up big words in the dictionary and immediately put them to use here.

You've been such an asshole here throughout the years that nobody wants to engage with you even if you hit on an idea worthy of discussion.  That bankshot actually still (occasionally)  does puts him with the angels.  I suggest you find another place to post where maybe your reputation as a loudmouth, bigot, troll and liar hasn't been embedded yet.

Wonderfully written, and I'm sure the fellow CoWs were impressed.

You might well have learned, though, through those years that I don't really give a fuck what you or anyone else thinks about me personally, as you don't really fucking know me.

But as supercilious as you are, you're still too sensitive to engage in real discussion.
I'm guessing your dictionary page containing "supercilious"  is dog-eared.  "Look how smart I am!! Big words!!"

What kills you, yank, is it's accuracy.

And your post here underscores it's meaning.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: June 14, 2021, 10:00:44 AM »

What kills me is that you don't know the difference between "its" and "it's".  Stick with big words.

"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: June 14, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »

”After stoking fear of a Black uprising that would upend their way of life, endanger their women and bring about an unfathomable new American reality in which Black men—not white—governed, white city leaders pledged to “choke the current of the Cape Fear with carcasses” rather than allow Wilmington’s Black citizens to succeed, and lead.

When the carnage ended, more than 100 Black government officials—city councilmen, the city clerk, the treasurer, the city attorney and others—had been forced from their elected roles. Somewhere between 60 and 250 Black citizens were murdered.”

On January 6, 2021 thousands of white supremacists stormed the US Capitol to ‘Stop the Steal’ for their anger was directed at the votes of BIPOC folks whose coalition provided the winning margins in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia.

If the insurrection had been successful the US government line of succession would have been decapitated and executive power would have remained with defeated president.

If that doesn’t tell where this nation is in terms of “progress” you’re either delusional, intellectually dishonest or stupid.

Achtung, motherfuckers!

If you feel the need to be patted on your back for ‘how far we’ve come’ then reach up and do it yourself.

”I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice” [...]

History.com. from the same company who brings you "American Pickers" and "Pawn Stars".

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: June 14, 2021, 10:18:01 AM »

What kills me is that you don't know the difference between "its" and "it's".  Stick with big words.

Okay.

From now on I'll be sure to remind myself to use small words.

With you.

Putz. The totality if its meaning fits you perfectly.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: June 14, 2021, 10:24:21 AM »

The totality if its meaning fits you perfectly.

Why don't you just go back to arguing with Larry?  Your frantic attempts to outwit me are causing typos.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: June 14, 2021, 11:05:56 AM »

Repeating a strawman doesn’t make it a valid point. Maher’s argument apparently is that people on the LEFT!!!!! are somehow fearful of acknowledging that progress has been made. Which people? Some hot-take talking clown (much like Maher) who likes to say things just to get a reaction? It’s a strawman argument because nobody seriously argues that progress has not been made, but plenty do argue seriously not enough and not fast enough.

Maher misses that. And so, apparently, do you. But hey you can keep arguing with Knicks. So go for it.

Saying that White power and privilege is at an all-time high
Says no one here. Which is what makes it a strawman argument.
is just ridiculous.

Apparently you agree with that premise,
Literally no one here has agreed with that statement.
and that is what he was discussing.
No, you are the one who insists on your strawman. I am sure, as yank noted, that some bloviating talking head has said that, because news outlets prioritize extreme statements.

But nice to see you join the cabal and ride to the rescue trying to protect the poor innocent put-upon fellow whom you must think can't seem muster an argument by himself.
Typical bully dick move. I realize you want to isolate Larry in order to more efficiently attack Larry, without anyone else making the same points. Fuck that. No one is pointing out you are making stupid and racist points because of some cabal.  We are pointing out you are making stupid and racist points because YOU ARE MAKING STUPID AND RACIST POINTS. Which you do because you are a stupid and racist person.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:17:09 AM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: June 14, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »

That you still don't understand what a strawman is doesn't surprise me.    But thank God you no longer feel compelled to call Bankshot a child molester.
Clearly, because banks has joined his anti Larry cabal.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: June 14, 2021, 11:13:55 AM »

As best as I can tell you and I are the only one to have seen Maher's comments in their entirety, or I know I did. Yet once the tone was set down by Elba's council of woke, that Maher is just a spoiled pot-smoking libertarian, taking a white boy's path of priviledge, yada, yada, yada, the politically correct view had been established, all without watching the actual editorial....

FtR,  I wasn't attacking Maher so much as Smuel's spin of it to concoct a strawman here and then ignore us when it's pointed out. 

I've never fit any imagined "woke" template.  For example, I believe nations should have a single language and anyone who goes to live in that nation should speak that language,  period.   Unfortunately, when some RW partisan hears that,  they mistakenly think I'm with them on other issues,  when I mos def am not.   I just happen to diverge from many liberals on that issue,  and I'm consistent in my application -- any country you settle in,  learn the damn lingo.   (don't start an argument, it's just an example of how few people here really "march" in lockstep with a brigade)

I don’t watch his show anymore.

My biggest problem with Bill Maher is he is a raging Islamaphobe so I stopped watching him years ago. He’s gotten worse as years go by.

I don't know one wise person with time (and HBO) that doesn't (wouldn't) watch Maher.
I am, have, have, and don't and won't. Why should I? That one was not his first shallow little strawman and it will not be his last. Never found him funny or insightful. Now, wise persons with time and HBO not watching Last Week Tonight, that I find hard to fathom. Anyone who can make a 20 minute deep dive into Civil Asset Forfeiture informative and funny merits your attention.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: June 14, 2021, 11:15:23 AM »

”Go back and read Red's initial post and then Larry's dismissive response and the ones that followed.”

Since when am I obligated to respond to Red?

Since when am I obligated to respond to Ham/Uno/Utley?

How am I stifling Maher’s speech by deciding I’m not going to watch his show?

I told everyone why I don’t give a shit what Maher has to say so I have to hear “Oh, you think your people had it bad?”

To “your don’t say anything of value...” if nothing I say has weight or value why do you insist I engage in a discussion over what Maher had to say?

This is becoming a pattern. Ham who has been nothing but an asshole DEMANDS I answer his queries.

I tell him to go screw and here comes Banks to insist I engage with a fucking racist asshole.
Why is that, Jenna? Huh? Come on Jenna, tell me why I have to give Utley the time of day.

Elba

These (the bolded and enlarged above) are examples of a strawman argument.

Larry's response to his labeling Maher a "pot-smoking white privileged libertarian", rather than addressing the content of what Maher said as presented by Red's post, now has led to a series on strawmen that he proceeds to knock down.

No one said Larry had to do anything, but he chose to take Red's posts about Maher and turn it into a personal attack on Maher.

Now he complains that someone took issue with his response that no one forced him to make.
How then "stifled?"

A QnD answer is

I did not suggest Maher's opinion was deleted or banned, which is another strawman, but rather, Maher's point as presented by Red's post, was stifled by a libertarian pillow thrown on it, making it less able to breathe on its own.

It was dismissed by several posters and not discussed largely due to Maher's being labeled a pot-smoking white-privved, lib, yada X3.

I could use Larry's pre-screened stifle approach to answering questions with anyone.

its easy

link 3 damning insults which appeal to the crowd and avoid the issue= STIFLED

Hope that helps Polaris.

But it wasn't stifled.

No matter how much you say it was.

You're just wrong, Banks. You and everybody else continue to be able to discuss Maher's comments to your heart's content.

It's not discussed by many of us because we don't see anything worth discussing in it. Pretty much the same as we do with anything we don't think worth discussing.

You've been engaged in that same approach for as long as I've known you, but I am sure that (until now?) you would never have claimed you were stifling anybody.

Despite your occasional claims to have stifled Ham.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: June 14, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »

Achtung, motherfuckers!

History.com. from the same company who brings you "American Pickers" and "Pawn Stars".

So, Banks, is this Ham stifling the conversation by the attack on what else History dot com runs rather than the substance?

Going to call him out for that?

LOL

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: June 14, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »

🎵Delta at dawn, where's the mask you should have on? or could it be the shot for free that you passed by? Or did I hear you say, that your hesitant, here today? preferring that big mansion in the sky. 🎵

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: June 14, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »

Clearly, because banks has joined his anti Larry cabal.
Nope I just thought Utley asked a legit on topic question.

Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 2928