Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757289 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9615 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:29 PM »

Speaking of ‘American Greatness’ I don’t agree with everything this guy says but he does get his point across...

“...  All Americans, especially all white Americans are to blame 

https://amgreatness.com/2021/06/14/grievance-and-forgiveness-or-civil-strife/

Bullfuckingshit. He's just another bigot looking for cash.

Did you read... oh never mind. <snicker>

Do you think....oh never mind <guffaw>

Did you read the article?

January 1, 1892. Do you know the significance of that day? If you do, you know how ridiculous it is to make a statement such as "All Americans, especially all white Americans are to blame".

So, fuck that asshole. And the article.

Oh man, this is so funny.

So you DON'T KNOW the significance of January 1, 1892. Apparently, the writer of your piece didn't know it either, or he'd understand that was the day Ellis Island opened. Or are all those immigrants indicted by virtue of their race, too?,

Bruh, I know what happened that day (ridiculous ability to learn file and access dates, places and events, remember?) but if you had read the article you would have seen the author’s point of view is more in line with yours than mine.

That you only reacted to the pull quote is typical of your reaction to damn near everything. Like a goddamn toy monkey.

Bang your cymbals, Jocko.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:23:25 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9616 on: June 16, 2021, 02:15:41 PM »

Poor Ilhan

She has spoken about school bullying she endured during her time in Virginia, stimulated by her distinctive Somali appearance and wearing of the hijab. She recalls gum being pressed into her hijab, being pushed down stairs, and physical taunts while she was changing for gym class
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilhan_Omar

No wonder she has a chip on her shoulder and says slanderous outrageous things about infidel Americans and Israelis. Oh no, gum in her hijab. No respect at all for big Mo!  In Somalia we cut off your hand and sew up your lips, it is so written.

it is so written you’re a fucking Islamaphobe. Not a good look, luee.

He could be, but your love of Omar and your willingness to excuse her makes you anti-American.

Kick rocks, Jocko.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: June 16, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »

What the anti-CRT crowd is really after: canceling speech on racism in history.

Texas Governor Signs Law To Stop Teachers From Talking About Racism
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas-republicans-ban-teachers-racism_n_60b18524e4b06da8bd76bf50
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: June 16, 2021, 02:23:58 PM »

Banks, please do give those questions thought as I am. I prefer kicking around salient and thorny issues with interesting and intelligent minds, adjectives I’ve long applied to you. When I catch an opportunity to actually explore an issue, I try to treat it as sincere and jump in.

Many posters here both fling and wear amounts of shit that many would find excessive. I definitely fling my share, but I’d debate whether any flung at me have actually stuck. I sometimes think you may view shit flung your way in a similar light. So we go about making our cases. I think it provides some weird form of growth and sustenance, or in this age where options so far outstrip time why would anyone still bother to read or post here?

I also play ping pong with and launch probes at arguments that aren’t very salient and thorny at all for fun and practice with minimal shitting. It’s done in hope and in my world as an act of faith that occasionally a thought provoking run will somehow unexpectedly unfold in this space. I get rewarded enough not yet to have lost faith.

My sublime and elegant shitting will of course continue (until morale improves). I can still be reasonable and conversational on topics big and small, serious or not. While I don’t multitask, I multithread like a mo fo and the shitting follows two distinct purposes.

Also as a community member, but not a community official, I’m obliged to follow community standards but not to adjudicate them. I also feel no obligation to try to be comprehensive or impartial in my presence. That’s on josh a bit. Bless him. He does an impressive job, and for what but our infrequent thanks or acknowledgment and whatever he gleans from our weird collective essence? It seems like quite a headache he bears for what seems like by conventional standards a meager return.

The big two reasons I fling poo are first poo flinging at fascists and proto-fascists so they drown in shit before they can grow friends and teeth. Less work for the Vickers at the end of the day if these drownings are attended to early and often. Perhaps not much less, but every villian fewer counts. Second I fling shit to break the rythym of growing flame feuds between people who are interesting and intelligent when the jet is turned down or the heat better distributed to try and shave some duration of the inevitable molten stalemate these things lead to. Also, some times the flame sparks themselves reveal problematic misconceptions I judge more pertinent to address than the conflict that sparks them. Also zinging is fun sometimes and while there are limits here (Ham is too dense to figure them out), it feels far more open and richly textured here than in most venues where any vestige of true zings still remain.

The difficulties you bring up about addressing the perpetrator side of crimes against humanity aren’t ones I have ever found good answers for. They are at the heart of the issue so they can’t be avoided, and probably contribute a great deal to the staggering impunity of most of the world’s bad actors.

This leads me to suspect that victimhood and the extent of victimhood in crimes against humanity might be more graspable and measurable and therefore be a preferable starting point to understanding and acting in response to those crimes. Corpses, ruined houses, shuttered schools, bombed hospitals and factories, crops burnt in the field, etc.

In our legal system you have to show harm to establish standing to bring a suit.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9619 on: June 16, 2021, 02:25:35 PM »

No wonder she has a chip on her shoulder and says slanderous outrageous things about infidel Americans and Israelis. Oh no, gum in her hijab. No respect at all for big Mo!  In Somalia we cut off your hand and sew up your lips, it is so written.

Where is the actual slander?  Look up her actual comments, rather than her comments filtered and decontextualized by Right Wing tools.  Discuss what she actually said, not her personal history or your speculations on her bruised psyche.

Doesn’t matter what she said, she’s brown and Muslim.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: June 16, 2021, 02:26:41 PM »

But if you have questions rather than baseless charges, I'd be happy to answer them

Can we “have the same level of accountability and justice for all victims of crimes against humanity” at the same time as we take into account and “judge relativity and context” of the victimization?

Should acts by Hegemonic nations or international bodies (those with the power to act) addressing crimes against humanity gauge their response more by the circumstance of the victims in effort to do right by them or more by where the perpetrators of the crimes against humanity (a clearly defined term agreed to via treaty that you can look up) fall on a scale of atrocity committers?

If the focus should be on perpetrators rather than victims, should the scale we judge perpetrators on be based on all-time crimes against humanity or just ones by regimes still in power or recent crimes against humanity or only those exactly concurrent?

Can there be justice for victims without punishment for perpetrators or are the two inextricably linked in a zero sum equation?

In terms of actions against perpetrators, is there a difference between punitive and preventive measures? Is one preferable to the other in crafting a response?

I’ll stop here. Hopefully in answering with nuance and substance, Banks, in however many characters that takes you, you can deliver something worth gnawing on that relates to the topic rather than the personalities discussing it.

You're overthinking it, Che.

When someone attacks you while stating that their primary purpose is to destroy you and your way of life, do you not have an obligation and a right to defend yourself?

I mean, if you think it's all about the perpetrators, begin at the beginning, Che.

No terrorism, no counterattack.
You view terrorism as the beginning? Interesting place to start.
A parrot bit me.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: June 16, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »

It looks like Biden had a good meeting with Putin.

Our ancestors passed down a pretty good world right now when compared to other times in history.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9622 on: June 16, 2021, 02:58:40 PM »

But if you have questions rather than baseless charges, I'd be happy to answer them

Can we “have the same level of accountability and justice for all victims of crimes against humanity” at the same time as we take into account and “judge relativity and context” of the victimization?

Should acts by Hegemonic nations or international bodies (those with the power to act) addressing crimes against humanity gauge their response more by the circumstance of the victims in effort to do right by them or more by where the perpetrators of the crimes against humanity (a clearly defined term agreed to via treaty that you can look up) fall on a scale of atrocity committers?

If the focus should be on perpetrators rather than victims, should the scale we judge perpetrators on be based on all-time crimes against humanity or just ones by regimes still in power or recent crimes against humanity or only those exactly concurrent?

Can there be justice for victims without punishment for perpetrators or are the two inextricably linked in a zero sum equation?

In terms of actions against perpetrators, is there a difference between punitive and preventive measures? Is one preferable to the other in crafting a response?

I’ll stop here. Hopefully in answering with nuance and substance, Banks, in however many characters that takes you, you can deliver something worth gnawing on that relates to the topic rather than the personalities discussing it.

When someone attacks you while stating that their primary purpose is to destroy you and your way of life, do you not have an obligation and a right to defend yourself?

I mean, if you think it's all about the perpetrators, begin at the beginning, Che.

I imagine the loyalists in Boston felt this way, too “When someone attacks you while stating that their primary purpose is to destroy you and your way of life, do you not have an obligation and a right to defend yourself? “ when the Sons of Liberty started fucking with them over the Stamp and Tea Taxes.

https://allthingsliberty.com/2019/12/the-sons-of-liberty-and-mob-terror/

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: June 16, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »

I imagine the loyalists in Boston felt this way, too “When someone attacks you while stating that their primary purpose is to destroy you and your way of life, do you not have an obligation and a right to defend yourself? “ when the Sons of Liberty started fucking with them over the Stamp and Tea Taxes.

You probably don't have to go back that far to play "the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" song.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: June 16, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »

The USA is multi-millions of houses short when it comes to housing...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/the-us-is-short-68-million-homes-national-association-of-realtors-says/ar-AAL6UpY

We need to let in the immigrants who want to do construction work and we need to put them to work building houses.

Also, because of the housing shortage, the wages need to rise for construction workers. And we need unions, and union wage scales, and we need to pay workers prevailing wages, etc.

We also need to train architects, and designers, and landscapers, etc.

Also, some of the homeless people can be trained to be construction workers, etc.

And groups such as Habitat For Humanity and Homeboy Industries can help.

Salute,

Tony V. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: June 16, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »

Absolutely Tony! And we need Joe’s Jobs package passed right now!

Damn the obstructionists and the traitors of the republican caucuses all the way to Hell!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: June 16, 2021, 03:22:15 PM »

You probably don't have to go back that far to play "the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" song.

http://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/10538/11136

Hammy, Jocko, or whatever he’s called, may be on to something to begin at the beginning. Achieving the desired result in the short term is one thing, putting the genie back in the bottle is proving not as easy so far.

The main takeaway is that if your goals require a sustained and highly organized terrorist campaign to achieve, abandon them and find some new goals.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 03:37:40 PM by facilitatorn »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: June 16, 2021, 03:32:47 PM »

It's so strange that people talk about "Islam" like this single monolithic thing, but are liable to get huffy if someone does that with Christianity.  Christianity, they will hasten to remind you, is a vast range of sects that encompasses mainstream Protestants, Evangelicals, Fundamentalists, secular humanist Unitarians, Roman Catholics (with a dizzying array of beliefs that range from Leftist to Far Right Conservative), Eastern Orthodox, et al.  Their practices vary considerably, their attitude towards other religions vary considerably, some reject politics, others embrace political activism, some are hawkish, some are dove-ish, some preach asceticism, others preach getting as rich as you can....need I go on?  Perhaps it would be wise to consider that Islam is also not a monolith, with its adherents all marching along in perfect lockstep.

Well, hey now. If that were true, we’d see some sort of evidence of some factional conflict within Islam. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:24 PM »

Poor Ilhan

She has spoken about school bullying she endured during her time in Virginia, stimulated by her distinctive Somali appearance and wearing of the hijab. She recalls gum being pressed into her hijab, being pushed down stairs, and physical taunts while she was changing for gym class
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilhan_Omar

it is so written you’re a fucking Islamaphobe. Not a good look, luee.

He could be, but your love of Omar and your willingness to excuse her makes you anti-American.

Kick rocks, Jocko.

Have a banana, Idi.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: June 16, 2021, 03:57:17 PM »

The main takeaway is that if your goals require a sustained and highly organized terrorist campaign to achieve, abandon them and find some new goals.

That's what happened with Sinn Fein, is it not?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 2928