Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 757266 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #9660 on: June 16, 2021, 05:59:30 PM »

You probably don't have to go back that far to play "the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" song.

freedom fighter:
: a person who takes part in a resistance movement against an oppressive political or social establishment

terrorist
person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

The terms are not interchangeable.
Nelson Mandela can never be equated to Osama Bin Laden.

You are both an asshole and a nitwit.

If you have two feet it is possible that both shoes can fit at once.

Why don't you attack his statement instead of him, fac? Is Nelson Mandela equated with Osama Bin Laden?

Campbell's soup was only soup until Andy Warhol elevated it to art.

Was Nelson Mandela elevated to freedom fighter, or was he a terrorist?

Those who read and reason recognized right away the structural mirroring of one being a terrorist & a freedom fighter at the same time with the further possibility one could be decidedly more of one than the other while still being a bit of both and Red’s being both an asshole and a nitwit who, unlike you, is more asshole than nitwit.

Don’t feel victimized by that last comment, Hamfisted. I’m not saying you aren’t an epic incredible intercontinental incontinent asshole. It’s just your degree of dunderheaded dumbass nitwithood keeps your asshole exceptionalism in the shade.

Read twice. Write once. Then erase without posting. We’ll all think better of you for it.

I see you can't answer a question, but would rather launch attacks on those who would ask you to think.

Thinking is hard for you, yes, and you keep proving that with each dim-witted post. 

Your imperious nature emanates from your sincere lack of self-worth and the kind of self-delusion that leads to fatal mistakes.

Keep taking your chlordiazepoxide, be kind to the attendants, and they may let you out soon.

And, though your little sister will never forgive you for what you've done, in a decade or two, you may be able to take care of yourself instead of relying on public assistance as you currently do.

heh

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: June 16, 2021, 06:00:31 PM »

You probably don't have to go back that far to play "the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" song.

freedom fighter:
: a person who takes part in a resistance movement against an oppressive political or social establishment

terrorist
person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Never? Someone did. Why do you think they put him in prison?

Huh? He was originally acquitted for his part avenging mass murder of blacks and only after years of revenge tactics by a white supremacist Government was he put in prison for life.
He was a freedom fighter. But never a terrorist.
He was thrown into jail by the South African government for conspiracy to overthrow the government through the SACP and another group the South African government regarded as being dedicated to the violent overthrow of the government.  The South African government viewed Mandela as a terrorist and rebel, even as the ever-enlightened Red did not.  Which is the point of the "one man's terrorist...." cliche I cited.  Another example, I guess, was  Menachem Begin.
Critical thinking escapes you.
But it is enlightening to know that if a black man fights back against white supremacism ( while avoiding attacking innocent civilians) it’s your definition of terrorism.
If Nelson Mandela is to labeled a terrorist by you there are a ton of historians who beg to differ.
Have you always been illiterate, Red?
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: June 16, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »

The terrorism/freedom fighter dichotomy is especially apt in looking at the history of both Israel and the various elements of the Palestinians' leadership.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: June 16, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »

This is a good, long overdue move by the Feds:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/politics/student-loan-forgiveness-for-profit-colleges/index.html

Thank you, Joe Biden.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: June 16, 2021, 06:16:31 PM »

I know when people see homeless people all over that they think that nothing is being done to help the homeless, but there are good people who have been helping the homeless for the last 20 years, and as the old people get old and die, we need for the young people to step in and help.

The OC has done a lot to help the homeless, and I went to a big meeting 20 years ago with all of the Mayors of the OC and the Senators, etc, and the whole meeting was about how to help the homeless, I sat next to the Mayor of Laguna Beach at dinner and she was very kind and charming and she really wanted to help the homeless. Certainly the Friendship Shelter in Laguna is small, but hopefully much more progress has been made since then.

I had a friend from the Philippines who spent 20 years helping the homeless here in the OC, she recently passed away, may she rest in peace. She was born wealthy in the Philippines, from the banana industry, and she came to America and she opened a night club in Los Angeles named Manila Gardens, and she opened other businesses and she was very successful, and she was a good Christian, and she spent her whole life helping the poor, and helping the needy, and feeding the hungry, and helping the homeless. She used to buy big multi-million dollar houses and fill the houses full of homeless people, and then she would pay people to watch over the homeless people and to manage the houses, etc. She was a special woman, and the world will never be the same. Other wealthy people need to copy her, and help the homeless like she did. To those whom much is given, much is expected from.

So far as help right now for the homeless, there is the Mental Health Association in Santa Ana, where the homeless people can get breakfast and lunch, and they can sign up for all of the programs to help them, and they can find housing, and a doctor, and a psychiatrist, etc. They also have a thrift store and they will help the homeless to get clothing, and when people get homes then the thrift store can help them with a fridge and furniture. Here is the link....

https://mhaoc.org/

There is also a new Wellness Center in Orange, where people can get help with whatever they need. It is an all-service Wellness Center. Here is the link...

https://bewelloc.org/

There is also CASA of Orange County to help the foster youth, so they do not become homeless when they age out of the system. The children need adults to help and to guide them to be successful. We need more children going to college and fewer children growing up to be homeless. Here is the link for CASA...

https://www.casaoc.org/

Also, as Angel Stadium opens back up, etc, people can sell beer and hot dogs to raise money to help the homeless, and to feed the hungry. A friend and his group made over one million dollars for charity by selling beer and hot dogs at Angel Stadium and at the Rose Bowl, etc.

People care, and more people can get involved. And as the old people get old and die, we need for the young people to step in and to help the homeless and to feed the hungry, etc.

Also, the OC needs more psychiatrists, so we need for the young people to go to college and to become psychiatrists.

People care, and others need to help too.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: June 16, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Huh? He was originally acquitted for his part avenging mass murder of blacks and only after years of revenge tactics by a white supremacist Government was he put in prison for life.
He was thrown into jail by the South African government for conspiracy to overthrow the government through the SACP and another group the South African government regarded as being dedicated to the violent overthrow of the government.  The South African government viewed Mandela as a terrorist and rebel, even as the ever-enlightened Red did not.  Which is the point of the "one man's terrorist...." cliche I cited.  Another example, I guess, was  Menachem Begin.
But it is enlightening to know that if a black man fights back against white supremacism ( while avoiding attacking innocent civilians) it’s your definition of terrorism.
If Nelson Mandela is to labeled a terrorist by you there are a ton of historians who beg to differ.

Both Mandela and Begin won Nobel Peace Prizes.
Can you name a terrorist who has?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:11 PM »

You're overthinking it, Che.

When someone attacks you while stating that their primary purpose is to destroy you and your way of life, do you not have an obligation and a right to defend yourself?

I mean, if you think it's all about the perpetrators, begin at the beginning, Che.

No terrorism, no counterattack.
You view terrorism as the beginning? Interesting place to start.

Do, a deer,  a female deer....

What's missing from several posters here is a grasp of what terrorism comes from.   Groups of people that lack the military power to wage war tend to respond to stronger oppressors with terror attacks.   I haven't read up the thread yet,  but I feel someone is going to point out that one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.   

Julie Andrews has much to teach us..

Timothy McVeigh teach you that?
You ARE aware there are those who consider him a freedom fighter,  right?
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:31 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Menachem Begin.

"Two of the operations for which the Irgun is best known are the bombing of the King David Hotel in Jerusalem on 22 July 1946 and the Deir Yassin massacre, carried out together with Lehi on 9 April 1948."

Begin was a leader of the Irgun. He was banned from England for his terrorist activities.

And, with him, Yasser Arafat also won it.

Want to argue he wasn't a terrorist?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:38:13 PM by josh »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: June 16, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Come on, give him his due. His alleging that critical thinking escapes someone else is so lacking in self awareness as to be flat out hilarious.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: June 16, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Arafat.
A parrot bit me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: June 16, 2021, 06:41:30 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Yes.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: June 16, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »

heh

I don’t have a sister except for the five billion we all share who won’t give poor Hammy the time of day.

I’ll take Madiba to lead my resistance movement over OBL, thanks. John Churchill & William of Orange can stand as seconds along with Harriet Tubman, Vaclav Havel, Albert Camus, Ben Franklin and Eugene Debs.

Boal and Freire have already avenged me, once I fall. Though the struggle is endless, victory is sure.

Keep marching.

Is there even a cure for the alabastard shrunken head syndrome?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:47:20 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: June 16, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »

Sometimes Red makes it really easy.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: June 16, 2021, 06:52:08 PM »

This is a good, long overdue move by the Feds:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/politics/student-loan-forgiveness-for-profit-colleges/index.html

Thank you, Joe Biden.

Promises made promises kept.

America greater.

Just because it beyond the capacity of any republican doesn’t mean it’s actually hard to do.

Also, it’s nice to see some marching pay off.

Keep marching.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: June 16, 2021, 07:13:45 PM »

freedom fighter:

terrorist

Arafat.
Better do a better look unto history than a quick google search.
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 2928