Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756830 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10020 on: June 19, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »

See? It's always about money. Always.

"Black Americans don't need another study that sits on a shelf," said St. Louis Mayor Tishaura Jones, the city's first Black female mayor and a member of the group. "We need decisive action to address the racial wealth gap holding communities back across our country."

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/18/1008242159/11-u-s-mayors-commit-to-developing-pilot-projects-for-reparations

The "racial wealth gap". 

Any of the CoW want to take time to explain that one.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: June 19, 2021, 12:21:19 PM »

No, it's pretty real. They smile in your face and tell you they're on your side, but if they really respected you, they'd let you fight your own battles.

They don't.

Yeah, you think it's Larry's battle.

Racism and bigotry are everybody's battles, Ham.

So are bullying and baseless attacks.

Also, I don't see you going it on your own, either.

IOW, your bullshit "let Larry fight his own battles" is just one more "divide and conquer" strategy without truth behind it, just manipulation.

Or as others have put it, SSDD.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: June 19, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »

Happy Juneteenth to those celebrating.

I think we as Americans all should, as it seems a country founded on the the idea of freedom and who has fought wars to maintain that freedom, would celebrate freedom for all its people.

We already have a holiday for that. Every Fourth of July.

Guess that wasn't good enough for some Americans.

Given that they weren't free on July 4th, that's such a surprise.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: June 19, 2021, 12:34:26 PM »

I think we as Americans all should, as it seems a country founded on the the idea of freedom and who has fought wars to maintain that freedom, would celebrate freedom for all its people.

I'm not a Con Law scholar, not a historian, but 4th of July celebrates our independence from England, and the adoption in 1776 of the Constitution as the basis of law for our new country.

The Constitution opens with the line:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

It took a Civil War fought about 75 years after the Con was written, to reaffirm in blood, that all men are created equal, and end slavery and get on a road to equality. But we know to this day, its not been a smooth road and there are evil motherfuckers who'd prefer the old ways. So while some truths are self-evident, it can't hurt to reaffirm them, for people who may not have as clear an understanding.

So a symbolic day of celebration doesn't seem excessive. And affirms the truth and affirms the injustices and mistakes made in the past and is a step towards a healing.

I can't think of a good reason not to celebrate the day.

But then again, there is no good reason to find a reason to be against this day of celebration and reflection.

As an aside, you've gone well beyond, satire, or political humor or performance art.

You're just jumping in a puddle of your own shit and only demeaning yourself.

SSDD   

Holly Martins

« Reply #10024 on: June 19, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »

Memorial day,  Juneteenth and Ind. day make a nice trifecta of celebrating freedom,  spanning five to six weeks.   

The troll - looks like its mandibles are still spasming.  I'm sure the clicking noises are interesting to entomologists.   And other cockroaches,  perhaps.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: June 19, 2021, 12:49:38 PM »

I'm not a Con Law scholar, not a historian, but 4th of July celebrates our independence from England, and the adoption in 1776 of the Constitution as the basis of law for our new country.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

It took a Civil War fought about 75 years after the Con was written, to reaffirm in blood, that all men are created equal, and end slavery and get on a road to equality. But we know to this day, its not been a smooth road and there are evil motherfuckers who'd prefer the old ways. So while some truths are self-evident, it can't hurt to reaffirm them, for people who may not have as clear an understanding.

So a symbolic day of celebration doesn't seem excessive. And affirms the truth and affirms the injustices and mistakes made in the past and is a step towards a healing.

But then again, there is no good reason to find a reason to be against this day of celebration and reflection.

Of course, the founding fathers, while they may have believed that "all men are created equal," established laws that absolutely precluded that as the immediate condition of the country.

Nor did the Civil War either reaffirm it or make it so. The Emancipation Proclamation did not establish equality, either, just independence. Women still did not have the right to vote or, for that matter, a whole host of other rights. The right to vote for "Indians" and for Blacks was yet to be codified. We were still seeing Asians (and others) denied the right to education for decades to come and even to marry whites equitably. (When a white woman loses her citizenship for marrying an Asian, that is not equality or even freedom.)

Separately, while the Declaration of Independence came on July 4th, our first governing doc - the Articles of Confederation - were not adopted by Congress until November of 1777 or ratified by all the states until March of 1781.

The Constitution wasn't ratified until June 21, 1788.

(I knew the years, but looked up the specific dates, except for the DoI. - And even it wasn't ratified by enough states until August 7th, 1776, despite the signing in July.)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: June 19, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »

No you are still in the minority. Not quite in the loony fringe anymore just an anti-Trump reactionary. You can't possibly believe the immigration crisis is helpful.

First off, England and English are mutt bastards still in flux, getting Greeked and Phoenicianed as far back as the Bronze Age, well before the Romans ran train on them for four centuries, setting up the M1 and the rest of the highway system before they fucked off. What was left started importing Saxon thralls (crackers, as it has been so helpfully and precisely defined here) until they wound up running the place where it wasn’t soon being sacked or managed by Vikings. All of those lovely characters got systematically broken and raped by Frenchified Vikings admired for their castle building who eventually, in the name of one fat fuck’s right to serial polygamy, decided to forge some kind of identity for themselves out of whatever happened to be around before they wound up in the belly of one of their bigger and better established neighbors.

So yeah. Special place of pride to English. It’s the bees knees.

Christianity is a Hebraic mystery cult run amok. It could be fine eventually, if leaders within start doing some honest and serious work on it instead of falling for the allure of how profitable bullshiting your way through it can be especially if you broadcast. I wouldn’t try to make it the basis of anything or put too much trust into anything it was the basis of.

Some of Christianity’s borrowed basis and constituent parts are quite good. They are best taken one by one, disentangled from the General morass. As was done in the constitution of the United States for instance.

The immigration crisis is inevitable & just barely getting started. It’s way too late to stop your city drowning, but you just might have time to get it to float. It’s that way with immigration.

Our best bet is to improve and export our culture as much as possible as quickly as possible, so that when the next half billion come to this continent over the unfolding decades they are already of us and will have been for some time.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: June 19, 2021, 01:28:37 PM »

LOL!
If you didn’t post idiocy you couldn’t post at all.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: June 19, 2021, 01:31:49 PM »

See? It's always about money. Always.

"Black Americans don't need another study that sits on a shelf," said St. Louis Mayor Tishaura Jones, the city's first Black female mayor and a member of the group. "We need decisive action to address the racial wealth gap holding communities back across our country."

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/18/1008242159/11-u-s-mayors-commit-to-developing-pilot-projects-for-reparations

The "racial wealth gap". 

Any of the CoW want to take time to explain that one.

Come get your taco. I’ll explain anything you like.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: June 19, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »

No, it's pretty real. They smile in your face and tell you they're on your side, but if they really respected you, they'd let you fight your own battles.

They don't.

Yeah, you think it's Larry's battle.

Racism and bigotry are everybody's battles, Ham.

So are bullying and baseless attacks.

Also, I don't see you going it on your own, either.

IOW, your bullshit "let Larry fight his own battles" is just one more "divide and conquer" strategy without truth behind it, just manipulation.

Or as others have put it, SSDD.

Sorry, Professor. The topic doesn't matter. If anyone here challenges Larry on any issue, the CoW pokes its nose in and tries to protect him from any criticism.

It's pretty clear why. Don't get pissed because I state what is obvious.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: June 19, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »

No oxygen is good,  but sometimes you mount the insect on a pin,  thinking it's dead,  and then its mandibles are still clicking and its legs wiggling.  Which is kind of frowned upon,  in entomology exhibits.   So it's best to put it in a jar with a cotton ball soaked in dry cleaning fluid for about an hour.

Some bugs thrive on cleaning fluid these days, unfortunately. Miraculous examples of the will to live or bad quirks of combination theory, wiggle away they will.

Some curators have begun using more pins until all the articulating bits are locked down in a given specimen.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 01:44:09 PM by facilitatorn »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: June 19, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »

As an aside, you've gone well beyond, satire, or political humor or performance art.

You're just jumping in a puddle of your own shit and only demeaning yourself.

SSDD

Good to see you amended your first response and expanded upon it, after you were prompted. 

The Fourth of July supersedes all other celebrations of freedom as we do not have the others without it happening first. 

Juneteenth is a wonderful expression of freedom because of the actions begun in Philadelphia in 1776, and because of the actions of Mr. Lincoln in 1863.

I have no issue with it being celebrated by anyone, but your statement in your original post aligns itself more closely with July 4 as opposed to June 19.

Now, run along, celebrate and grab a few Crows to eat. They fit you so well.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: June 19, 2021, 01:49:19 PM »

And for those of you celebrating today, just don't celebrate the way these folks did last year:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article252156268.html

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10033 on: June 19, 2021, 01:50:31 PM »

LOL!
If you didn’t post idiocy you couldn’t post at all.

You should sue your school district...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10034 on: June 19, 2021, 01:51:55 PM »

https://nmaahc.si.edu/blog-post/nations-story-what-slave-fourth-july
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 2927