Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756312 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10200 on: June 21, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »

If you were the president of Clemson what would you ok for compensation for the next Trevor Lawrence, in a free market, who gives you millions in tv money, prestige and a shit ton of publicity and panache to market the school?

$20 million a year?

More?

I don't think that would be up to the president of the University no matter what paying the players model is arrived at.

The Chancellor?

Alumni Board?

The Chief Investment Officer of the Endowment Fund?

Point is a free market is a free market and prices are determined by supply and demand, and if the barrier to the free market is lifted prices for a talent like Trevor Lawrence who may have a value in the tens of millions, will likely rise sharply above the MSRP of  $75,000 for a year of college.
As a State University Clemson gets money through state budgeting.

Dabo works at a discount at Clemson?

For reasons, already touched on, coaches at all schools, state or private are paid crazy multiples of the best paid professors.

and just spit ballin' I suspect Clemson might get the funding it needed if from the SC legislators, if they threw in some tickets, and a post-game cocktails with Dabo.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10201 on: June 21, 2021, 03:39:40 PM »

I think the SCOTUS decision may benefit the players who aren’t the stars in the program. Those star players may be able to make a percentage of sales based on their names and likenesses on school merch, but the vast majority who don’t have lucrative pro careers in their futures should be able to get better stipends for food, books etc.

The idea of amateurism is anachronistic considering the highest paid state employee is usually a football or basketball coach.

Athletes deserve a cut of the revenue they generate.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: June 21, 2021, 03:40:35 PM »

I think the SCOTUS decision may benefit the players who aren’t the stars in the program. Those star players may be able to make a percentage of sales based on their names and likenesses on school merch, but the vast majority who don’t have lucrative pro careers in their futures should be able to get better stipends for food, books etc.

The idea of amateurism is anachronistic considering the highest paid state employee is usually a football or basketball coach.

Athletes deserve a cut of the revenue they generate.

Here, here!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: June 21, 2021, 03:41:50 PM »

I’d imagine it would be the AD in the GM role while the other folks mentioned create the constant hubbub around firing his or her ass and occasionally pulling the trigger.

The economics of college is a subject that should extend well beyond athletes pay. When we start drafting and paying big bucks to kids for their science, math, or critical thinking brains instead of their ferocity as a linebacker, we might be on to something in this country.

I’m having to fucking agree with you again, Ham. This feels very very weird…

You'd be amazed at how much we agree upon, fac.

That's why I am not the rightwing bastard you'd hate me to be or the prog walking lockstep with the woke world, either.

If you really want to be amazed, you should consider how much banks and I agree on things, and our loathing for each other has likely the longest history here---

I never thought you were right wing, Ham, just doing maximally obnoxious knuckle dragging on some very important cultural issues like race. I don’t even mind horn locking and poo flinging if it’s done in an interesting or illuminating way. I never feel either obliged to or prohibited from jumping in within the confines of the rules and customs established here at Elba.

Taxing corporate wealth is an important step on the road to taxing private wealth. We’re getting there. Everyone will turn out to be very glad when we do. The ones who have the most to pay have the most to gain from a well funded well managed government.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: June 21, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »

I’d imagine it would be the AD in the GM role while the other folks mentioned create the constant hubbub around firing his or her ass and occasionally pulling the trigger.

The economics of college is a subject that should extend well beyond athletes pay. When we start drafting and paying big bucks to kids for their science, math, or critical thinking brains instead of their ferocity as a linebacker, we might be on to something in this country.

That's why I am not the rightwing bastard you'd hate me to be or the prog walking lockstep with the woke world, either.

If you really want to be amazed, you should consider how much banks and I agree on things, and our loathing for each other has likely the longest history here---

Never thought you were right wing.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: June 21, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »

Now, Larry, OC, etc, if we want to learn fro Europe on taxation, this is something to consider: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/21/this-tax-brings-in-billions-worldwide-why-theres-no-vat-in-the-us.html

Many in Congress want to fix the country’s crumbling roads, bridges and other infrastructure projects.

Lawmakers still haven’t agreed on how to pay for it.

President Joe Biden has called for tax increases on the wealthy, including hikes on income and capital gains, along with estate tax reforms, and increased IRS enforcement.

Other policymakers have floated alternatives to Biden’s tax plans, such as boosting gas levies, which the White House has already opposed.

But there’s another funding option that has been absent from negotiations: a value-added tax, or VAT, which is a duty on goods and services at each step along the supply chain.

The U.S. is the only major country that does not have a value-added tax,” said William Gale, co-director at Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: June 21, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »

You and fac should get a room.

But to be clear, there is a lot we disagree on, style and substance, but for the sake of forum decorum, I'll pass on commenting further.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: June 21, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2021/6/21/22535672/breathe-act-progressive-police-reform-bill

Popular and sensible ideas on their way into law. Vote the roadblocks out. Protect elections and voting rights for a safer future together.

Keep marching.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: June 21, 2021, 03:51:21 PM »

But to be clear, there is a lot we disagree on, style and substance, but for the sake of forum decorum, I'll pass on commenting further.

You newfound respect for decorum has moved me. I now hope that your favorite institution of higher learning will have the dough to hire a water boy who can do double duty on special teams in this new era.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10209 on: June 21, 2021, 03:53:42 PM »

My problem with VAT is it's a consumption tax and is regressive.

Poorer households would have to pay more of their income
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: June 21, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »

You newfound respect for decorum has moved me. I now hope that your favorite institution of higher learning will have the dough to hire a water boy who can do double duty on special teams in this new era.

I've always preferred reason to heated rhetoric. But some seem to default to insults when reason escapes them. So I'll play on grass, Har Tru or hard courts.

And yes if the best players are to more equitably share in the billions generated by their skill and work, that the schools have been diverting for other uses, its likely other departments or students may suffer in some manner. There may be smaller teams, or fewer non-revenue sports. There will be repercussions, but that seems to be the direction we are headed.

And if the water boy can also kick PATs, great.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 04:05:58 PM by bankshot1 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: June 21, 2021, 04:17:43 PM »

I have not examined the economics of the decision on college budgets. I just suspect that the rate of pay will be roughly equal for most monetarily endowed teams. It is the other money that would be the real issue.

Well, the SCOTUS decision was pretty narrow.
It only upheld District Court and Appeals Court decisions appealed by the NCAA.

To wit.: the NCAA can be sued under anti-trust laws and it cannot limit academic-related benefits such as graduate-school scholarships, postgraduate internships, tutoring, and vocational scholarships. 
It is still a long way from players being able to bargain for “ professional-level cash payments”
So how will the NCAA change its compensation rules?

Justice Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion made it pretty clear that the current NCAA business model would be illegal under almost any other industry in the Country.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 04:20:41 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: June 21, 2021, 04:27:44 PM »

There is a passage in Return of the King where Sam and Frodo observe two orcs, trying to track them down, who fall to quarreling, and one of the kills the other and runs away. Sam notes that if they could just get out of the way and let them kill each other many problems would be resolved. Frodo corrects him, noting that if the orcs had seen them they would have ceased their quarrel until Sam and Frodo were dead, because "they hate us more, and all the time". You two are orcs.

Note: autocorrect is not a Tolkien fan.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 04:32:01 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: June 21, 2021, 04:30:55 PM »

I have not examined the economics of the decision on college budgets. I just suspect that the rate of pay will be roughly equal for most monetarily endowed teams. It is the other money that would be the real issue.

Well, the SCOTUS decision was pretty narrow.
It only upheld District Court and Appeals Court decisions appealed by the NCAA.

To wit.: the NCAA can be sued under anti-trust laws and it cannot limit academic-related benefits such as graduate-school scholarships, postgraduate internships, tutoring, and vocational scholarships. 
It is still a long way from players being able to bargain for “ professional-level cash payments”
So how will the NCAA change its compensation rules?

Justice Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion made it pretty clear that the current NCAA business model would be illegal under almost any other industry in the Country.
I anticipate the eventual decision to include long list of famous college football players, with a sop or two to each judges Alma mater to draw their votes.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: June 21, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »

There is a passage in Return of the King where Sam and Frodo observe two orcs, trying to track them down, who fall to quarreling, and one of the kills the other and runs away. Sam notes that if they could just get out of the way and let them kill each other many problems would be resolved. Frodo corrects him, noting that if the orcs had seen them they would have ceased their quarrel until Sam and Frodo were dead, because "they hate us more, and all the time". You two are orcs.

Note: autocorrect is not a Tolkien fan.

Then I prefer orcs to trolls like good brother Red.

Fortunately trolls like that are easy to outthink and they are prone to fatally seize up when disinfected with some sunlight.
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 2927