Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756326 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10215 on: June 21, 2021, 04:48:58 PM »

I’d imagine it would be the AD in the GM role while the other folks mentioned create the constant hubbub around firing his or her ass and occasionally pulling the trigger.

The economics of college is a subject that should extend well beyond athletes pay. When we start drafting and paying big bucks to kids for their science, math, or critical thinking brains instead of their ferocity as a linebacker, we might be on to something in this country.

I’m having to fucking agree with you again, Ham. This feels very very weird…

You'd be amazed at how much we agree upon, fac.

That's why I am not the rightwing bastard you'd hate me to be or the prog walking lockstep with the woke world, either.

If you really want to be amazed, you should consider how much banks and I agree on things, and our loathing for each other has likely the longest history here---

You and fac should get a room.

But to be clear, there is a lot we disagree on, style and substance, but for the sake of forum decorum, I'll pass on commenting further.

You newfound respect for decorum has moved me. I now hope that your favorite institution of higher learning will have the dough to hire a water boy who can do double duty on special teams in this new era.

I've always preferred reason to heated rhetoric. But some seem to default to insults when reason escapes them. So I'll play on grass, Har Tru or hard courts.

And yes if the best players are to more equitably share in the billions generated by their skill and work, that the schools have been diverting for other uses, its likely other departments or students may suffer in some manner. There may be smaller teams, or fewer non-revenue sports. There will be repercussions, but that seems to be the direction we are headed.

And if the water boy can also kick PATs, great.

Whatever the new state of affairs, I guarantee some schools will fuck up their policies more than others. Schools that use the decision to pare back spending on their student body to amass cash for star athletes will probably find that comes back to bite them in the ass.

Academic incentives and access, like the sacrament of holy communion, should not be barred or restricted by some central committee, but should be offerable to athletes at the discretion of individual schools. The sad thing is too many jocks will opt for MBAs and comms degrees rather than take the opportunity to study something useful.

So much important learning is on the community college level these days I’m far less concerned than I would have been 10-20 years ago.

May your water boy not only be an ace on point afters, but may he also have the knack for reliably putting legal and recoverable on side kicks into play.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: June 21, 2021, 04:55:59 PM »

My problem with VAT is it's a consumption tax and is regressive.

Poorer households would have to pay more of their income

That's a problem, for sure. But, if we want "all these things", then we all should being paying. Like they do in Canada, eh?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: June 21, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »

I’d imagine it would be the AD in the GM role while the other folks mentioned create the constant hubbub around firing his or her ass and occasionally pulling the trigger.

The economics of college is a subject that should extend well beyond athletes pay. When we start drafting and paying big bucks to kids for their science, math, or critical thinking brains instead of their ferocity as a linebacker, we might be on to something in this country.

That's why I am not the rightwing bastard you'd hate me to be or the prog walking lockstep with the woke world, either.

If you really want to be amazed, you should consider how much banks and I agree on things, and our loathing for each other has likely the longest history here---
There is a passage in Return of the King where Sam and Frodo observe two orcs, trying to track them down, who fall to quarreling, and one of the kills the other and runs away. Sam notes that if they could just get out of the way and let them kill each other many problems would be resolved. Frodo corrects him, noting that if the orcs had seen them they would have ceased their quarrel until Sam and Frodo were dead, because "they hate us more, and all the time". You two are orcs.

Note: autocorrect is not a Tolkien fan.

Who the fuck cares what Frodo thinks? He ain't real.

Now, what Obama thinks is real: Former President Barack Obama put his weight behind Sen. Joe Manchin’s voting rights proposal in Congress, urging Republicans to join with Democrats to pass the legislation.

Obama said that the Manchin proposal is “a product of compromise,” and that it is “an effort by maybe the most conservative Democrat in the Senate, or maybe the most conservative Democrat in Congress … to come up with some commonsense reforms that the majority of Americans agree with, that Democrats and Republicans can agree with.”

Obama said he was taking the unusual step of commenting on a debate in Congress because the stakes for the country are high, in his view.

https://news.yahoo.com/obama-backs-manchins-voting-rights-compromise-193058178.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: June 21, 2021, 05:00:30 PM »

You and fac should get a room.

But to be clear, there is a lot we disagree on, style and substance, but for the sake of forum decorum, I'll pass on commenting further.

Ah...forum decorum. Did you just like the rhyme, or are you turning over a new leaf, Newton?

May I suggest that you pass on commenting altogether.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: June 21, 2021, 05:05:54 PM »

It’s been suggested to you, Ham, on more than one occasion. We’ve all seen how that worked.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10220 on: June 21, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »

That's a problem, for sure. But, if we want "all these things", then we all should being paying. Like they do in Canada, eh?

Nope. With great wealth should come great responsibility.

If a poor household is constantly scuffling just to get by, they don’t have the breathing space to try and move up and ahead. That renders the “American Dream” almost unattainable unless one starts off in a good position.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:09:30 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: June 21, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »

Over the last decade, Democrats in key states have relinquished control of redistricting to "independent commissions ... free of partisan interference," a decision made for the sake of "good government" that could, however, affect the left's ability to hold onto their majority in 2022, Politico writes.

Despite agreeing that redistricting reform is needed, Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) added that Republicans are "carving up left and right" in rabidly partisan states, while Democrats, rather, are "unilaterally disarming," per Politico.

https://theweek.com/politics/1001774/redistrictingetc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: June 21, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »

If we get to the point where with having great wealth comes some responsibility, we will already be far better off.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: June 21, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »

It’s been suggested to you, Ham, on more than one occasion. We’ve all seen how that worked.

You will be hard pressed to find one here with more stamina than me, fac. Banks comes close, but...

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: June 21, 2021, 05:13:36 PM »

Federally end the gerrymander, as congress has the power and responsibility to do according to the Constitution. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: June 21, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »

Nope. With great wealth should come great responsibility.

If a poor household is constantly scuffling just to get by, they don’t have the breathing space to try and move up and ahead. That renders the “American Dream” almost unattainable unless one starts off in a good position.

Do you ever get tired of asking for handouts? The hand-ups weren't enough?

Seriously, the handouts don't work, just as reparations won't. See: "Great Society, LBJ".

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: June 21, 2021, 05:16:52 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/6/21/2036330/-Republican-sabotage-of-HUD-during-Trump-s-administration-will-take-a-decade-to-fix

It’s an open and vigorous debate whether republicans are a syphilitic cancer or a cancerous syphilis on the body politic. What is clear is the nation is crying out for a more vigorous immune response along with any effective cures and treatments.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: June 21, 2021, 05:18:54 PM »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: June 21, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »

Stamina? This shit doesn’t take stamina, even for someone who usually manages to do it well.

It’s like compulsive OKD.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: June 21, 2021, 05:20:59 PM »

I have not examined the economics of the decision on college budgets. I just suspect that the rate of pay will be roughly equal for most monetarily endowed teams. It is the other money that would be the real issue.

Well, the SCOTUS decision was pretty narrow.
It only upheld District Court and Appeals Court decisions appealed by the NCAA.

To wit.: the NCAA can be sued under anti-trust laws and it cannot limit academic-related benefits such as graduate-school scholarships, postgraduate internships, tutoring, and vocational scholarships. 
It is still a long way from players being able to bargain for “ professional-level cash payments”
So how will the NCAA change its compensation rules?

Justice Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion made it pretty clear that the current NCAA business model would be illegal under almost any other industry in the Country.
I anticipate the eventual decision to include long list of famous college football players, with a sop or two to each judges Alma mater to draw their votes.
I assume that was satirical.
The NCAA has been put record by SCOTUS : work it all out with the schools, players,  and the TV folks.
We are not listening to your pleas for special treatment.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 2927