Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755811 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10365 on: June 23, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »

Does his "marked change" include apologizing?
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: June 23, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »

With nearly 97 per cent of votes counted, Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, had a commanding lead with just almost 31.7 per cent of the vote, according to the Board of Elections.

Wiley, a former counsel to de Blasio who has promised to strip $1bn from the police department budget, stood at 22.2 per cent, while Garcia, the former head of the sanitation department, had 19.5 per cent.

Yang, an affable outsider who made his name with a long-shot bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, had enjoyed frontrunner status for months. But first-round results showed him stuck at just 11.7 per cent, confirming a drop off in his campaign as election day neared.

~Financial Times
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:13:41 AM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: June 23, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »

For which item(s)?

This was his answer (WaPo) on one of those topics:
Newport News, Va: Rev. Sharpton, Will you ever apologize publicly to the family of the falsely accused in the Tawana Brawley case, or are you above apologizing when you have wrongly persecuted innocent people?

Rev. Al Sharpton: I have not persecuted anyone. I was asked by Tawana Brawley, by her family and her attorney to speak on her behalf and I spoke what I believed. She identified who she claimed had violated her. A grand jury did not believe her. I did. Many people disagree with the jury on O.J. Simpson, but a jury did believe him. Should they apologize to him because they viewed the evidence differently? I don't think so.

If Mr. Pagones felt we could not prove her statements he had the right to go to civil court and sue, and we have the right to appeal that suit. But he does not have the right to say we should apologize for what we believed, any more than O.J. Simpson had that obligation. I remember when I started in the Abner Louima case, and people said it was outrageous to say that a policeman would stick a plunger up a man's rectum in the precinct, and surely Abner and I were lying. I lived to see the day that Justin Volpe was not only convicted but admitted his guilt.

I am in a field where claims are always denied; I can only go by what I believe. I'm not above apologizing if I'm wrong, but I shouldn't be in a different position from anyone who questioned O.J. or any other case. It's interesting that in 20 years of cases, from Bernard Goetz to now, my critics only point to one case rather than deal with the totality of my career.

Space added by me to aid in reading.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: June 23, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »

God bless the good "Reverend".
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: June 23, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »

With nearly 97 per cent of votes counted, Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, had a commanding lead with just almost 31.7 per cent of the vote, according to the Board of Elections.

Wiley, a former counsel to de Blasio who has promised to strip $1bn from the police department budget, stood at 22.2 per cent, while Garcia, the former head of the sanitation department, had 19.5 per cent.

Yang, an affable outsider who made his name with a long-shot bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, had enjoyed frontrunner status for months. But first-round results showed him stuck at just 11.7 per cent, confirming a drop off in his campaign as election day neared.

~Financial Times

I just get the feeling that with so much manufactured bullshit and the resultant anxiety over recent election results, using ranked choice in NYC in this election, may lead to some controversy and very heated ballot challenges. I feel almost certain that a lot of folks are going to mess this up, and votes will be contested and tossed. And they will vote for anchovies and onions when they thought they were voting for sausage and peppers.

I hope NYC has reserved the Javits Center and the Cyber Ninjas to conduct a complete and transparent audit.

And nothing against anchovies, I like them in a Caesar salad, but I'm more a sausage or pepperoni guy

And I wonder if Andrew Yang would have done better if the ranked voting was explained in terms of Chinese apps rather than pizza toppings.

Eggs rolls, fried shrimp, spare ribs, scallion pancakes, etc.

Spare ribs for mayor!

For a neighborhood breakdown of the NYC vote,

Looks like my old neighborhood went for Garcia.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/06/23/nyregion/nyc-mayor-primary-results-precinct-map.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: June 23, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-255_g3bi.pdf

SCOTUS ruled that the school should not have suspended the cheerleader or otherwise punished her for her curse-laden social media post(s).

It seems to me that they also worked to leave intact the school's power to police cyber-bullying.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10371 on: June 23, 2021, 11:23:53 AM »

For which transgression?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: June 23, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »

For which transgression?
One would be a start.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10373 on: June 23, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »

He’s a piece on Sharpton and Ed Koch from back in the day...

I don’t why the last section bolded...

Who Deserves a Second Chance?
By Larry Bellinger
In February 1999, I was present as my father and others were feted at an awards banquet sponsored by the Bethel AME Church of Amityville, New York. The featured speaker that evening was the infamous Rev. Al Sharpton. Contrary to the way he is usually shown in the media, this Sharpton was erudite and specific about concerns of the black community and what was needed to address those concerns.

He then told a rapt audience about an impending dinner meeting with former New York City Mayor Edward I. Koch. The audience was stunned. Ed Koch is seen in much of the African-American community as a mayor who had been indifferent to blacks of the city at best and downright hostile at worst. Koch, in fact, had Sharpton jailed in 1978 for leading a sit-in at city hall. Some folks in the audience yelled for Sharpton to "watch his back." Sharpton responded that he was empowered by God to meet with Koch and hear what he had to say. "He has prepared a table for me in the presence of mine enemies!" he thundered. It turns out that Koch wanted Sharpton’s help with promoting a proposal for a program he has dubbed the Second Chance.

On its surface the Second Chance proposal is extremely uncomplicated. Once they have completed their sentences, nonviolent drug offenders convicted of felonies could enroll in the program and receive drug treatment, job training, and various educational opportunities. After completing the program—provided they stay away from further trouble for five years—they would have the opportunity to receive executive pardons and have their records expunged.

That cleaning up of an ex-offender’s record is the heart of Koch’s proposal—without which a person with a felony conviction is forever seen as tainted goods. Job training is one thing, but actually getting a job is another altogether. Doors to employment tend to slam shut when an applicant responds in the affirmative to the "Have you ever been convicted" question. Koch’s plan—which he’s trying to sell to whatever government bodies will listen, state or federal—is really about redemption, giving people another shot.

Limited to those who are nonviolent, first-time offenders not convicted of sex crimes, the proposed program would give many people a second chance to make something of their lives and rejoin society as productive citizens. It is also an opportunity to regain the right to vote that is usually forfeited with a felony conviction. Open to everyone regardless of race or gender, the program would have its biggest impact on the young black males who make up the vast majority of drug arrests and convictions.

ONE MIGHT WONDER about Koch’s motivation to undertake the risk of giving people a second chance. Koch (who, it should be noted, went to Jackson, Mississippi, in 1964 to defend voting rights) declares in his soon-to-be-released book I’m Not Done Yet! that his recovery from a stroke in 1987 gave him an indication that "God is not yet finished with me, and I remain relevant."

Koch, for all of his racial realpolitik strategies during his tenure as mayor (which some say set the stage for the racial atmosphere that brought Rudy Giuliani to prominence), has tried for several years to get his Second Chance proposal to the forefront. In a recent article in the Village Voice, Koch explained, "Many of these kids—a lot of them white—who use powder cocaine, get probation....(B)lacks using a cheaper drug, crack cocaine, in less quantity, get a minimum of five years and more. And it is just wrong."

The numbers back him up. Clinton’s drug czar Barry McCaffrey wrote in the NAACP’s Crisis magazine that although blacks make up 15 percent of the reported cocaine users in the United States, they comprise 40 percent of the people charged with powder cocaine violations and 90 percent of crack convictions. Recently the U.S. Senate, in an amendment to a bankruptcy bill, dramatically increased the penalties for powder cocaine sales.

Still, many folks in New York wonder what set Koch on this crusade to restore the rights of convicted felons, and what could move him to join forces with the controversial Sharpton.

Peter Noel wrote in the Village Voice, "Maybe, some argue, he feels guilty about breaking the covenant that liberal Jews are supposed to observe regarding social justice. By forging an alliance with Sharpton and other black activists and speaking out against the repressive policies of the Giuliani administration, Koch has performed what religious Jews call T’shuva. He has repented. He has atoned for his political sins."

Koch and a noted ally, Harvard law professor Charles Ogletree, had been unsuccessful in getting the support of black advocacy groups and prominent political leaders. Now, because of his connection to Sharpton, Koch and his Second Chance proposal are getting a well-deserved second chance.

LARRY BELLINGER is assistant editor of Sojourners.

https://sojo.net/magazine/march-april-2000/who-deserves-second-chance
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 11:33:00 AM by josh »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: June 23, 2021, 11:34:32 AM »

I don’t why the last section bolded...

Because they used brackets around a capital B to note that it was a small b in the original. That told our system to bold what came after.

I edited.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: June 23, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »

I keep waiting for someone to tell me,
"Yeah, I was a fruit picker until those illegals showed up."

Would they hire me to pick fruit if I applied?

One way to find out.

You wouldn’t last a week or make a single quota.

A week? At this age? He wouldn’t last a shift.

And you'd last about 2 minutes before you were back where you were 2 weeks ago.

Finished my season in good standing and politely declined a second one to take up work as a management para. But that was nearly thirty years ago. You remind me of some of the multiple handicapped I helped educate, minus the charm and good nature. Also your diapers smell worse.

I’m a little busy now with work I like better, but I still put my time in at the community garden.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: June 23, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »

No power to those people who are determined to become even eviler bastards.

So...like Al Sharpton, for example.

You think he’s your real dad and wonder why he won’t acknowledge you.

Explains a lot about you, everything about you in fact.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: June 23, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »

God bless the good "Reverend".

May he outlast the alabastard televangelist scum and “Catholic” bishops intent on perverting the nation’s children with their blasphemy and constant outrageous lies and incitement to violence. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 2926