Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755881 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10395 on: June 23, 2021, 01:06:32 PM »

What do I have to apologize for? I believed her," Sharpton says.

Fair enough.  I guess then it's too much to expect him to apologize for being a moron, then.

Her story was bullshit from day one. 

I don't think the biblical admonition against bearing false witness, one that I assume a Reverend knows well, allows an out for believing a bullshit tale.

Wasn't Sharpton found guilty of defaming the DA and had to pay a fine of about $100k?

Which I believe he paid.

He accepted his sentence.

He could have apologized for ruining an innocent man's reputation.

But he chose not to.
Yep, he was found liable.  Friends came up with the money to pay the judgment. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Holly Martins

« Reply #10397 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »

Why does "what about Donald Trump?"  play a role in a discussion about Al Sharpton?

I took the OC's comment broadly, as "Why is it more forgivable when a white male shoots their mouth off?"  But I'm not in this chat, because I haven't really followed Sharpton's career. 

On the cafeteria Catholics, I liked the Post's column which I posted a day or two back, and Lime's comment on the inconsistent stand on all matters that pertain to the affirmation of life and protection of the vulnerable.  The tendency of politicized Catholics to be all "protect the feti, but go ahead and give the needle to criminals and the torch to homeless camps [etc]," is an ugly one.  If it's "intrinsically" evil to kill feti, then so it is to take post-natal life or abandon a starving man.  In which case, no communion for you, Republicans! 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: June 23, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »

I took the OC's comment broadly, as "Why is it more forgivable when a white male shoots their mouth off?"  But I'm not in this chat, because I haven't really followed Sharpton's career.

Without trying to revisit the "straw man" discussion of the other day there are two responses that spring to mind: 1) Nobody is arguing that it's "more forgivable when a white male shoots their mouth off" and; 2)Sharpton's behavior during  "L'Affaire Brawley" constituted more than "shooting his mouth off".

As I stated with my first post in this discussion, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with those who view Sharpton as a moral force.   
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10401 on: June 23, 2021, 02:25:26 PM »

Fair enough.  I guess then it's too much to expect him to apologize for being a moron, then.

I don't think the biblical admonition against bearing false witness, one that I assume a Reverend knows well, allows an out for believing a bullshit tale.

You may think her story was bullshit from day one but I didn’t and neither did a lot of folks back in the day.

As time passed the story began to smell and then stink to high heaven.

The guys who really paid the price were the attorneys C. Vernon Mason and Alton Maddox. When they realized Brawley had lied to her aunt they should have shut the whole thing down but by that time they had a firm grasp on the tiger’s tail...  you can’t hang on and can’t let go.

It was a big shit sandwich and everyone took a bite.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10402 on: June 23, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »

Wasn't Sharpton found guilty of defaming the DA and had to pay a fine of about $100k?

Which I believe he paid.

He accepted his sentence.

He could have apologized for ruining an innocent man's reputation.

But he chose not to.
Yep, he was found liable.  Friends came up with the money to pay the judgment.

Why does where the money came from make a difference?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: June 23, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »

Maybe it doesn't.  But knowing it's one of your favorite words, I'd call those that paid the freight for Sharpton "suckers."

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: June 23, 2021, 02:56:31 PM »

I lived in NYC in that period, (Brooklyn and Manhattan from '83-'00) was a homeowner and had a vested interest in city. And in my opinion, Sharpton cynically used racism to expand his political profile and power.

Now I don't think there's anything wrong with opportunistic behavior, or promoting one's own self-interest, but Sharpton played a dangerous games further inflaming an already racially hot NYC of the late '80s. From Bernard Goetz vigilantism to the Central Park jogger to the Crown Heights Riots, NYC was an inferno oh racial divide. And all this wasn't Sharpton's fault, bur IMO he tried to profit from it.

And fuck him for that.

And he couldn't fucking apologize?

Now is it right for others to pay his fines for his guilt of defamation?

Its done all the time in other cases, for defense funds, but to the extent his defamation the white DA fed hatred, and his notoriety as a firebrand  drove donations, perhaps the moral of the story is that crime pays, but it shouldn't.

My two scents.

Sharpton's involvement in this episode, was ugly and it stunk.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10405 on: June 23, 2021, 03:12:54 PM »

Maybe it doesn't.  But knowing it's one of your favorite words, I'd call those that paid the freight for Sharpton "suckers."

We agree to disagree.

In the intervening years I’d say Sharpton has earned some grace and redemption.

The Sharpton of 1987 couldn’t have made this call and have it answered.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/08/photos-from-the-march-on-washington/615871/

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10406 on: June 23, 2021, 03:19:21 PM »

I lived in NYC in that period, (Brooklyn and Manhattan from '83-'00) was a homeowner and had a vested interest in city. And in my opinion, Sharpton cynically used racism to expand his political profile and power.

Now I don't think there's anything wrong with opportunistic behavior, or promoting one's own self-interest, but Sharpton played a dangerous games further inflaming an already racially hot NYC of the late '80s. From Bernard Goetz vigilantism to the Central Park jogger to the Crown Heights Riots, NYC was an inferno oh racial divide. And all this wasn't Sharpton's fault, bur IMO he tried to profit from it.

And fuck him for that.

Its done all the time in other cases, for defense funds, but to the extent his defamation the white DA fed hatred, and his notoriety as a firebrand  drove donations, perhaps the moral of the story is that crime pays, but it shouldn't.

My two scents.

What it led to was his near murder at a march in Bensonhurst.

Nothing like a near death experience to bring a man closer to God.

Speaking of cynically using racism to promote one’s self interest Rudy Giuliani could have taught Sharpton a thing or two.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: June 23, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »

And fuck him for that.

My two scents.

What it led to was his near murder at a march in Bensonhurst.

Nothing like a near death experience to bring a man closer to God.

Speaking of cynically using racism to promote one’s self interest Rudy Giuliani could have taught Sharpton a thing or two.

Guiliani used racism, a sense of deterioration in NYC quality of life, (and it was bad and got worse under that nice Mr Dinkins)  and a reputation as a no-nonsense, competent anti-corruption crime fighting DA, going to war against the Mafia to promote himself.

But he turned into mini-Mussolini.

And went to war against the poor and homeless.

NYC was a boiling mess back then.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: June 23, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »

I am agnostic on Sharpton, but I am always amused  by the demand for a public apology. Not because we should not apologize for our mistakes, but because public apologies are without exception ritualistic, stage managed and.fake..I can count the number of truly apologetic public apologies on my penis and still piss through it.

Fun autocorrect fact: my first attempt to type "penis" was corrected to "punishment." I am not sure if this speaks volumes of me or Samsung.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: June 23, 2021, 04:26:25 PM »

The bottom line is that officers need to be allowed to do their job,” Imperatrice went on. “They need to be able to proactively police the streets and have bad guys that are arrested be held behind bars and not re-released to reoffend. There are people out there becoming victims because of irresponsible remarks such as these, they deserve better that

Fucking cunt.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/police-groups-rip-msnbc-for-blaming-cops-for-crime-spike/?fbclid=IwAR2KHNWSIqNMz6C4q6odZKLwNjZpSv1ctDSNSj1Qaq4iq1CNin0bQbosxWw
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 2926