Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756347 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10620 on: June 25, 2021, 03:24:40 PM »

My Brother married Roy and Dale's Granddaughter, and he had 3 children with her, and they were on welfare.

I understand my Brother being poor, our Father died when we were little kids and we were raised by a poor single Mother, but Roy's Granddaughter should have had money and connections.

They taxed Roy at 90% and his family suffered for it.

Roy left a huge fortune.

He left residuals.

If they squandered it, it is not the tax's fault.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10621 on: June 25, 2021, 03:25:05 PM »

Damn...

If Chauvin’s sentencing is influenced by his defense attorney, Eric Nelson, the Judge might give him the fucking chair.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: June 25, 2021, 03:27:45 PM »

Or not worried about keeping her seat, regardless of electability.
Nice oxymoron.

No, Ward, you just don't understand.

I am suggesting the possibility that she would prefer to say what she thinks without regard for its impact on her ability to stay in the Senate.

Were it true, she would be worthy of praise for that, even if I disagree with the statement itself.

No oxymoron. Just a very unlikely but possible piece of reasoning.
Say goodnight, Gracie.

Ward says, "I have no response to this one, either."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10623 on: June 25, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »

Best quote I read today...

“Shut the fuck up, Stephen.”

— Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, quoted by CNN, to Stephen Miller at a White House meeting on Black Lives Matter protests and civil unrest.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10624 on: June 25, 2021, 03:58:36 PM »

Twenty two years.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: June 25, 2021, 04:09:14 PM »

New legislation is totally based on LIES about voter fraud.

Your opinion, Larry

I stand by my post - and expect when I am correct that you will cite your rage here

Not my opinion.

It is a fact that all the new legislation is based on non existent voter fraud.

Can you prove otherwise?

I think most people who have been paying attention would say it's based strictly on POLITICS.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: June 25, 2021, 04:09:47 PM »

Chauvin sentencing today.

Could get as little as 12.5 years but up to 29, it seems.  Likely to be more toward the latter

Chauvin will have the opportunity to speak prior to the judgement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/us/derek-chauvin-sentencing-george-floyd/index.html

He is not a sympathetic figure.

He would be wise to keep his mouth shut.

With the understanding that shutting mouths is what the left is all about, he still has a right to speak. Maybe he'll say he was sorry and admit he was wrong.

Maybe.

If I’m his attorney I’d advise silence because nothing  he can say can remove the look on his face as he slowly, deliberately killed a man in front of cameras and witnesses.

True that.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: June 25, 2021, 04:11:07 PM »

Chauvin defense have thrown everything against the wall... asking for probation and now asking for a new trial.

Nope

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/derek-chauvin-be-sentenced-murder-death-george-floyd-n1272332?fbclid=IwAR2fwBKDMt0PyGqAI7Ew8b7y7Y1xoGMCRtdgGNTHQ1H3_MUUFdBsrOirrro

Just doing their job, as you would want them to do for you.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: June 25, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »

Twenty two years.

22.5 years

Technically, Chauvin faced up to 40 years in prison for second-degree murder, up to 25 years for third-degree murder and up to 10 years for manslaughter.

However, Chauvin has no prior criminal record. State guidelines say that for such a person, the presumptive sentence for both second-degree and third-degree murder is 12 1/2 years. The judge was given discretion to hand down a sentence between 10 years and eight months and 15 years for each.

Second-degree manslaughter carries a presumptive sentence of four years for someone with no record, according to the guidelines. The judge's discretion ranged from three years and five months to four years and eight months.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/derek-chauvin-sentencing/index.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: June 25, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »

Per CNN: Derek Chauvin spoke briefly in court today prior to his sentencing in Minneapolis.

"I want to give my condolences to the Floyd family," Chauvin said. "There's going to be some other information in the future that would be of interest and I hope things will give you some peace of mind."

It was not immediately clear what additional information Chauvin was referencing. 

What would that be?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10630 on: June 25, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »

Your opinion, Larry

I stand by my post - and expect when I am correct that you will cite your rage here

Not my opinion.

Can you prove otherwise?

I think most people who have been paying attention would say it's based strictly on POLITICS.

That’s not politics. Politics is persuasion if I remember Aristotle

Republicans are trying block access to the polls.

When a party’s electoral strategy depends on fewer people voting it means they know their policies suck.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10631 on: June 25, 2021, 04:33:01 PM »

Per CNN: Derek Chauvin spoke briefly in court today prior to his sentencing in Minneapolis.

"I want to give my condolences to the Floyd family," Chauvin said. "There's going to be some other information in the future that would be of interest and I hope things will give you some peace of mind."

It was not immediately clear what additional information Chauvin was referencing. 

What would that be?

Peace of mind?

Oh Prunella.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: June 25, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »

My Brother married Roy and Dale's Granddaughter, and he had 3 children with her, and they were on welfare…

Salute,

Tony V.

Roy should have had better lawyers so he and his estate would have received the residuals from his artistic production and from when licensees his name and likeness to the fast food franchise.

A very very quick dig shows the family still has plenty of money to this day though a good chunk of the estate was donated upon his death. They have nice places around the country, partly due to starting on third base and partly due to the work of the generations that followed him. This includes property in CA where some descendants still survive.

Roy’s granddaughter may have been cut off for some reason, but if the family chose, means of support was there.

Top marginal tax rates had very little if anything to do with the situation.

Sorry, Tony.

Did her family like your brother?
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: June 25, 2021, 04:39:34 PM »

Best quote I read today...

“Shut the fuck up, Stephen.”

— Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, quoted by CNN, to Stephen Miller at a White House meeting on Black Lives Matter protests and civil unrest.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: June 25, 2021, 04:47:50 PM »

Your opinion, Larry

Not my opinion.

Can you prove otherwise?

That’s not politics. Politics is persuasion if I remember Aristotle

Republicans are trying block access to the polls.

When a party’s electoral strategy depends on fewer people voting it means they know their policies suck.

Politics is a dirty business, it requires sharp elbows, theatrics, and lots of cash. If you're taking your cues from Aristotle, you aren't really ready for American politics, and you should probably stay out of it altogether.

I prefer taking mine from guys like this: "Politics is a rough and tumble business, and yet there seems to be an effort by the commentariat to sanitize American politics to some type of high-level Victorian debating society."

James Carville

If you have ever seen how a local school board gets elected, you'd understand the power of having an electorate that relies on small numbers of voters, and you'd still be within your rights to be offended by that circumstance---but that's a choice.
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 2927