Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756331 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10770 on: June 27, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »

It sounds like God is a shake-down Artist.

I think that is called tithing.

Not uncommon in much of the Christian world. Think of it as like a Tzedakah as related to Tikkun olam.

Here's more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe

"Serving God" is the common denominator among followers of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.

But what that actually means is of great variance and often a source of friction among these groups, it would seem.

I donate to charitable organizations, many of whom are there to promote justice and equality, as I am sure many here do. Almost always, I do so  anonymously. I don't call it service to God, though likely it does just that.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 04:13:01 PM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: June 27, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »

God wants for us to help the poor and the needy, you do not have to give the money to a church but instead you can do like it says in Matthew 25: 31-46 and help the poor and the needy.

And I support tax breaks for money that you give to a church, and also tax breaks on the money that you donate to charity.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: June 27, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »

Everyone thinks that everyone in the Philippines is poor, but my friend Lisa was born wealthy in the Philippines, and then she spent her whole life serving God. There are some very wealthy people in the Philippines who do a lot to help other people.

My friend Lisa wanted for me to marry a wealthy woman from the Philippines, so they were going to take me to the Philippines so that I could meet the women in the Philippines. I was going to travel with Lisa and her husband and my friend Rose ( Rose's cousin was the President of the Philippines, Gloria Arroyo ). We were going to go to the island of Catanduanes, and we were going to go to the charity parties, etc. They have huge parties for charity, with dancing, etc, and they have roasted pigs, etc. But, then Rose got sick and ended up in the hospital, so our trip was canceled.

And also of note, is that we have many great doctors from the Philippines here in the USA.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: June 27, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »

That’s why he created entropy.

Also, you’re saying the quiet part out loud.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: June 27, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »

I think that is called tithing.

It is not the tithing, but the implied "or else". Although the carrot dangled by that charlatan Charles Stanley to bilk suckers is better than the stick Peter weilded on Ananias and Sapphira for not being committed Communists.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10775 on: June 27, 2021, 05:25:09 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: June 27, 2021, 05:33:02 PM »

Democrats 'trust the science,' but only when it advances their agenda

In making the veracity of research dependent on fleeting political movements, it may be those on the left killing science’s reputation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/06/26/democrats-trust-science-but-only-when-advances-their-agenda/7769914002/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: June 27, 2021, 06:18:33 PM »

In making the veracity of research dependent on fleeting political movements, it may be those on the left killing science’s reputation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/06/26/democrats-trust-science-but-only-when-advances-their-agenda/7769914002/

Paywall.

I only know this because I wanted to see what conniving shill was furthering your narrative.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Holly Martins

« Reply #10778 on: June 27, 2021, 06:32:12 PM »

That’s why he created entropy.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: June 27, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »

Paywall.

I only know this because I wanted to see what conniving shill was furthering your narrative.

No paywall. Not MY narrative. Just legitimate criticism of your pals.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: June 27, 2021, 06:41:53 PM »

I’m paywalled. Who wrote the “legitimate criticism”?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:45:40 PM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Holly Martins

« Reply #10781 on: June 27, 2021, 06:44:20 PM »

Paywall.

He got one point correct,  which is that science must be apolitical, it's only fealty to what the data shows us.   The rest of the article seeks to muddy the waters as to which faction is,  by a country mile,  most prone to distort or even reject science.   Those of us in the sciences are only too aware of which party,  for the past few years,  has most strenuously worked to dismantle the important research of thousands of scientists and suppress data critical to advancing our knowledge.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10782 on: June 27, 2021, 06:49:42 PM »

Paywall.

He got one point correct,  which is that science must be apolitical, it's only fealty to what the data shows us.   The rest of the article seeks to muddy the waters as to which faction is,  by a country mile,  most prone to distort or even reject science.   Those of us in the sciences are only too aware of which party,  for the past few years,  has most strenuously worked to dismantle the important research of thousands of scientists and suppress data critical to advancing our knowledge.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10783 on: June 27, 2021, 07:01:16 PM »

He has a point about science being politicized unfortunately one example, scientists clamming up about the massive protests during the pandemic missed one salient point, the majority of the protestors were masked as opposed to big fun gatherings at the Ozarks and Sturgis.

Otherwise?

Meh.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10784 on: June 27, 2021, 07:05:41 PM »

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 2927