Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756020 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10785 on: June 27, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »

Democrats 'trust the science,' but only when it advances their agenda

In making the veracity of research dependent on fleeting political movements, it may be those on the left killing science’s reputation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/06/26/democrats-trust-science-but-only-when-advances-their-agenda/7769914002/

Paywall.

I only know this because I wanted to see what conniving shill was furthering your narrative.

He got one point correct,  which is that science must be apolitical, it's only fealty to what the data shows us.   The rest of the article seeks to muddy the waters as to which faction is,  by a country mile,  most prone to distort or even reject science.   Those of us in the sciences are only too aware of which party,  for the past few years,  has most strenuously worked to dismantle the important research of thousands of scientists and suppress data critical to advancing our knowledge.

I skimmed it, and wondered where the data was that said Dems scientists overlooked science. I assume scientists in addition to theoretically being apolitical should also be agnostic and not let religious beliefs interfere with the scientific process.

God forbid.

I did wonder about ethics though, and whether a scientist has a moral duty to apply findings to an outcome they believe is sub-optimal? Or is the answer, present all known evidence and let the chips fall where they may, consequences be damned,       

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: June 27, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »

Religion and science are simply different domains,  with entirely distinct methods.   

Some understandings come with an experiment,  a microscope,  some come with quiet meditation.   Good minds value both,  IMO. 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10788 on: June 27, 2021, 10:34:14 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: June 27, 2021, 10:41:33 PM »

Welll, well.

Since announcing that he is a homosexual, Carl Nassib, NFL defensive end with the Las Vegas Raiders, has received praise from President Joe Biden and the establishment media.

But wait, there are reports he supports the GOP and , horror of horrors, might be a Trumpster.

Keep in mind there is no confirmation of Nassib’s politics but there was a rush to Twitter anyway, just in case.

I’m proud of and support Carl Nassib for coming out….unless he’s a Trump supporter then that is just problematic.—BILLY H

What Carl Nassib did was great but apparently he is a Republican and huge trump fan which probably does just as much damage to gay people as anything else —WAT T

LOL!

Bigots gotta bigot.

Supporting trump for any length of time is a deadly assault on our nation, it’s families, and the Constitution.

Not everyone believes that.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: June 27, 2021, 11:02:09 PM »

Welll, well.

Since announcing that he is a homosexual, Carl Nassib, NFL defensive end with the Las Vegas Raiders, has received praise from President Joe Biden and the establishment media.

But wait, there are reports he supports the GOP and , horror of horrors, might be a Trumpster.

Keep in mind there is no confirmation of Nassib’s politics but there was a rush to Twitter anyway, just in case.

I’m proud of and support Carl Nassib for coming out….unless he’s a Trump supporter then that is just problematic.—BILLY H

What Carl Nassib did was great but apparently he is a Republican and huge trump fan which probably does just as much damage to gay people as anything else —WAT T

LOL!

Bigots gotta bigot.

Supporting trump for any length of time is a deadly assault on our nation, it’s families, and the Constitution.

Bambu has that one right.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: June 27, 2021, 11:13:51 PM »

Welll, well.

LOL!

Bigots gotta bigot.

It's true.

But many of those who don't believe that also don't believe Biden legitimately won and accept the lies of folks like Rudy G and Sidney Powell. And Powell herself argued that nobody rational would believe her!

And many who don't believe that think the US should adopt some form of Christianity as our state religion, which kind proves the point.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10792 on: June 27, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »

Welll, well.

LOL!

Bigots gotta bigot.

If you don’t believe it you live on Earth TWO.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: June 27, 2021, 11:28:03 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: June 28, 2021, 12:01:19 AM »

I’m paywalled. Who wrote the “legitimate criticism”?

This guy

https://www.usatoday.com/search/?q=%22christian+schneider%22

http://www.christianschneiderblog.com/

He's got some good points.

He’s a similarly ignorant asshole to yourself.

He seems to have gone a whole career without making any valid points, so I can see why you are sympathetic to his vapid bleating.

If his words are what USA Today thinks hotel guests will want to pile their breakfast leavings on, he should still be able to hold on to a job long enough for a few more of his ridiculous rants to see print.   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:03:16 AM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: June 28, 2021, 12:04:40 AM »

Welll, well.

LOL!

Bigots gotta bigot.

There are idiots, the inbred, and the brain dead.

The two of you have all three covered, so there’s no rhyme or reason to anything you may or may not believe.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: June 28, 2021, 02:18:35 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/27/business/economy/jobs-workers-unemployment-benefits.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This is behind a paywall.

What it shows is that applicants for open jobs are down and hires are slower in states that cut their unemployment benefits and blocked federal help for their citizens (about half the states) compared both to when the very same states were giving those benefits and compared to the other half of the states who are trying to treat their unemployed population as if they were decent human beings.

Vulture capitalism kills jobs. Republicans destroy jobs every time they get a chance to influence or enact policy.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: June 28, 2021, 03:02:19 AM »

Welll, well.

LOL!

Bigots gotta bigot.

Well, yes. There are people who do not believe the world is round or that we landed on the moon. There is no accounting for the irredeemably stupid.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: June 28, 2021, 07:52:00 AM »

I’m paywalled. Who wrote the “legitimate criticism”?

This guy

https://www.usatoday.com/search/?q=%22christian+schneider%22

http://www.christianschneiderblog.com/

He's got some good points.

He’s a similarly ignorant asshole to yourself.

He seems to have gone a whole career without making any valid points, so I can see why you are sympathetic to his vapid bleating.

If his words are what USA Today thinks hotel guests will want to pile their breakfast leavings on, he should still be able to hold on to a job long enough for a few more of his ridiculous rants to see print.

No, you can't see anything because your head is too far up your own ass  and the idea of considering a reasoned point-of-view is well beyond your ken.

If it weren't so, you'd be able to counter something within the piece without the poor attempt to insult the writer, me, and the world with your pathetic squeals of leftist angst.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: June 28, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/27/business/economy/jobs-workers-unemployment-benefits.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This is behind a paywall.

What it shows is that applicants for open jobs are down and hires are slower in states that cut their unemployment benefits and blocked federal help for their citizens (about half the states) compared both to when the very same states were giving those benefits and compared to the other half of the states who are trying to treat their unemployed population as if they were decent human beings.

Vulture capitalism kills jobs. Republicans destroy jobs every time they get a chance to influence or enact policy.

The number of unemployment-benefit recipients is falling at a faster rate in Missouri and 21 other states canceling enhanced and extended payments this month, suggesting that ending the aid could push more people to take jobs.

Federal pandemic aid bills boosted unemployment payments by $300 a person each week and extended those payments for as long as 18 months, well longer than the typical 26 weeks or less. The benefits are set to expire in early September, but states can opt out before then.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson said the benefits were helpful during the height of the pandemic, but their continuation has “worsened the workforce issues we are facing.”

....Missouri’s economy had a less-severe downturn last year than other parts of the country, especially densely populated cities and tourism hubs. The state’s unemployment rate peaked at 12.5% in April 2020, below the 14.8% national average, and fell below 5% by the fall.

Missouri placed fewer restrictions on activity, including not imposing a statewide ban on indoor dining, said Steven Fazzari, economist at Washington University in St. Louis.

Restrictions were lightly enforced, especially outside of the state’s bigger cities, and the businesses moved earlier than those in other parts of the country to reopen, he said.

Still, he said he thinks it was a mistake for the state to end extended benefits, in part because the aid would have given job seekers more time to find a match that best fits their skills and location.

“The pandemic was a massive disruption, and many people only were able to receive their vaccines recently,” Mr. Fazzari said. “It’s reasonable to give them to September to adjust.”

Davina Roberson says the pay available at fast-food restaurants and large retailers would force her to put her sons on Medicaid.
Davina Roberson of Fenton, Mo., said she is scrambling now that her benefits have been cut off. The 45-year-old mother of two boys with special needs was furloughed last year from a corporate-travel agent job that paid her $26 an hour and allowed her to work from home, which helped her manage the boys’ care.

Her former employer has kept her on health benefits, which she would forfeit if she took another job. Ms. Roberson said she is now turning to food pantries, and charities like St. Vincent de Paul for food and clothing. She hopes an uptick in corporate travel will lead to her recall. Meanwhile, she said the jobs that are open at fast-food restaurants and large retailers would pay her a fraction of her prior wages and force her to put her boys on Medicaid.

“It’s not that I don’t want to go back to work,” Ms. Roberson said. But “if I took a minimum wage job, I’d be working for health insurance and child care and have nothing left to live on.”

Paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-are-leaving-unemployment-rolls-more-quickly-in-states-cutting-off-benefits-11624786202?mod=trending_now_news_pos2
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 2926