Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755445 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #11085 on: June 30, 2021, 11:32:48 PM »

Seems to me the President as CiC could order a stand down of the South Dakota NG. The deployment of the National Guard across state lines without an executive order, or a state of emergency seems problematic. That its privately funded makes it fucking crazy.

We know billionaires call the shots, but since when can they call literally the shots?

I wonder if the SD NG is available for private parties or corporate events.

I wonder what happens if there is an abrupt need for NG in SD.

I also wonder what rationale the governor is giving for this "mission."

War Games with the Proud Boys and 3%ers

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: July 01, 2021, 12:30:34 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: July 01, 2021, 02:35:39 AM »

How broken is the congressional GOP at this point?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/30/politics/republicans-january-6-select-committee-vote/index.html

Only two House GOP members voted for the Jan 6 select committee. Pretty revolting, when you think about the hearings the GOP ran again and again on Benghazi and email and vaporware.

They are people without a country, desperate refugees since the broke with the United States to keep the bloated corpse of trump afloat. Their only hope of ever having a home or feeling safe or feeling justified in their many betrayals is to succeed in forming a Christian white nationalist ethnostate out of the dismembered remains of America. They feel the walls closing in and see a future of nothing but ridicule and retribution ahead for them. They are willing to break a fuck ton of eggs to get the plantation system to rise again. Gig work and union busting gets them pretty close, but hanging the opposition is the thought that really gets their blood flowing and the kind of goal that keeps them striving for their lost and relost cause.

The right wing politicians know their followers don’t even operate at a third grade level. Consistency isn’t even a consideration. Rubes like Red wouldn’t even recognize consistency if it consistently smacked them n their stupid faces.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: July 01, 2021, 04:11:03 AM »

US Rep Chip Roy of the "law and order" party was seen breaking federal law:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/gop-congressman-flouts-mask-rules-airline-flight-texas-78595130

No shock, including that he was not penalized.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: July 01, 2021, 04:14:58 AM »

http://theweek.com/politics/1002048/its-increasingly-a-republican-pandemic

18000 per month over 16 months is more than a quarter million more dead republican voters by November 2022 compared to 3000 Democrats lost to Covid over the same period. Republicans are grifting what they can while they can with no intention of serving their constituents or winning elections. All their focus is on their restart the steal campaign to end the sovereignty of the people in the United States.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: July 01, 2021, 06:22:34 AM »

Any BLM Protests for THIS?!!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-gunned-trip-drop-off-son-naval-academy/story?id=78577783

Did a cop snoot the young man’s mother?

She is a victim of a fucked up criminal act.

Black lives only matter when cops are involved? Otherwise black lives are expendable within the black community? That's quite a philosophy you have there, Lawrence. If that is the case, then what Black Lives Matter really becomes is an excuse to hamper policing so criminals can work more freely.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: July 01, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »

When Vice President Kamala Harris finally made the decision to visit the Mexico border last week, people inside her own office were blindsided by the news.

For days, aides and outside allies had been calling and texting with each other about the political fallout that a potential trip would entail. But when it became known that she was going to El Paso, it left many scrambling, including officials who were responsible for making travel arrangements and others outside the VP’s office charged with crafting the messaging across the administration.

The handling of the border visit was the latest chaotic moment for a staff that’s quickly become mired in them. Harris’ team is experiencing low morale, porous lines of communication and diminished trust among aides and senior officials. Much of the frustration internally is directed at Tina Flournoy, Harris’ chief of staff, a veteran of Democratic politics who began working for her earlier this year.

In interviews, 22 current and former vice presidential aides, administration officials and associates of Harris and Biden described a tense and at times dour office atmosphere. Aides and allies said Flournoy, in an apparent effort to protect Harris, has instead created an insular environment where ideas are ignored or met with harsh dismissals and decisions are dragged out. Often, they said, she refuses to take responsibility for delicate issues and blames staffers for the negative results that ensue.

While much of the ire is aimed at Harris’ chief, two administration officials said the VP herself also bears responsibility for the way her office is run. “It all starts at the top,” said one of the administration officials, who like others requested anonymity to be able to speak candidly about a sensitive matter.

“People are thrown under the bus from the very top, there are short fuses and it’s an abusive environment,” said another person with direct knowledge of how Harris’ office is run. “It’s not a healthy environment and people often feel mistreated. It’s not a place where people feel supported but a place where people feel treated like s---.”

https://news.yahoo.com/

You know, a lot of folks don't consider that kind of atmosphere very, uh...democratic.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11092 on: July 01, 2021, 06:25:54 AM »

Any BLM Protests for THIS?!!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-gunned-trip-drop-off-son-naval-academy/story?id=78577783

Did a cop snoot the young man’s mother?

She is a victim of a fucked up criminal act.
Racists like Forrest love to tell black people what they should and should not focus on. It is there way of justifying ignoring the point of the focus.

Leninists like Mao love to limit discussion and edit language in order to foster the party's message.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: July 01, 2021, 06:29:11 AM »

This should go well. I can see it now. If Eric Adams isn't declared the winner, then the streets will explode.

No, I don't think they will.

And I don't think he will win. His lead was too small after the first ballot.

I haven't kept up with the NYC Mayor's Race, but with ranked order voting, shouldn't results be calculable within seconds with a decent computer? I understand absentee ballots etc have to be included, but weeks for a result, what am I missing?

Thanks I'll hang-up and listen.

NYC B.O.E is a nepotistic mess and has been for decades. Unless they changed in the last year it’s run by friends and family of the Democratic and Republican Party leaders.

In other words, business as usual.

Living in DC, I'm sure you have the insider perspective on what's happening in NYC.

Yeah.

I do.

Let's hear it, then. Sources, contacts, et alia.

We’ve been down this road before. I have my contacts and my sources and that’s all you need to know.

However,

In a statement late Tuesday night, ( Candidate Maya)  Wiley laced into the Board of Elections, calling the error “the result of generations of failures that have gone unaddressed,*” and adding: “Sadly, it is impossible to be surprised.”

* Pretty much what I said, right?

So, we are supposed to trust you, right, Larry? AFter the numerous times you've been caught misrepresenting here?

Ha-ha, no thanks.

Meanwhile, sadly it is impossible to be surprised by the shit that comes out of Wiley's mouth.

What have I been caught misrepresenting? Since you’re making an accusation you should provide some proof of the NUMEROUS times.

The BOE has been notoriously terrible for decades. Don’t believe me. Just use the Google machine.

Larry you made assertions of your inside knowledge without any proof. And do we need to go back to June of 2020 again? Come on, man! And telling people to Google in order to prove that you know something is pretty weak shit.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: July 01, 2021, 06:31:16 AM »

Most of Surfside condo board quit in 2019 amid sluggish response to repair plans: WaPo

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/561044-most-of-surfside-condo-board-quit-in-2019-amid-sluggish

Red likes to blame the victim.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: July 01, 2021, 06:36:01 AM »

Seems to me the President as CiC could order a stand down of the South Dakota NG. The deployment of the National Guard across state lines without an executive order, or a state of emergency seems problematic. That its privately funded makes it fucking crazy.

We know billionaires call the shots, but since when can they call literally the shots?

I wonder if the SD NG is available for private parties or corporate events.

I wonder what happens if there is an abrupt need for NG in SD.

I also wonder what rationale the governor is giving for this "mission."

Noem joined a growing list of Republican governors promising to send law enforcement officers to Texas as the GOP ramps up a political fight with President Joe Biden over border security. The issue has drawn a host of prominent GOP figures: Former President Donald Trump was expected to travel to the border this week and Republican governors from Arkansas, Florida, Nebraska and Iowa have all committed to sending law enforcement officers for border security.....

...But Democratic state Sen. Reynold Nesiba said the fact Noem is using a donor to pay for the deployment shows it is not a “real priority” for the state, but instead gives her “political cover.” He said he was looking into whether using a private donation to fund the deployment is legal.

“This could set a dangerous precedent to allow anonymous political donors to call the governor and dispatch the Guard whenever they want,” he said.

The federal government usually pays for National Guard deployments to other states. When troops respond to an in-state emergency, they are paid from state government funds, according to Duke Doering, a historian with the South Dakota National Guard Museum. He said he had never heard of a private donor funding a deployment.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/06/29/private-donation-will-fund-cost-of-sending-south-dakota-national-guard-troops-to-texas/

The Insurrection, Part Deux?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:38:32 AM by Hamilton Samuels »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: July 01, 2021, 06:54:16 AM »

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/06/30/a-privately-funded-national-guard-deployment-is-legal-but-is-it-ethical/

“We need to question the use of the National Guard in that manner,” he told Military Times. “We need to find out what they’re doing there and how we can make it stop, because I don’t think it’s an appropriate use of the Guard.”

“I don’t know all the legalities of it. We need to understand what is going on, because this doesn’t seem to make sense.”

Legally, the Pentagon has no say in what Noem does with her state-activated troops. The National Guard is unique among military organizations in that each state’s governor is at the top of the chain of command, except in case of a federal activation, when the Defense Department has oversight.

Rep. Jared Huffman, D-Calif., wrote on Twitter that the deployment amounted to “using rightwing donor money to send National Guard troops to perform partisan political stunts.”

Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., used the social media platform to attack the move as “shameful” and blasted Noem for “using a big political donor’s money to mis-deploy troops who’ve volunteered to serve her state.”

What has disturbed so many is the appearance of Noem deploying troops as part of a political stunt.

...if you can privately fund a deployment, can you offer up a few thousand dollars to send a couples guardsmen on temporary duty to your birthday party?

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: July 01, 2021, 07:02:36 AM »

President Biden’s emphasis on “equity” as a dominant policy goal is already creating new challenges in the federal courts. By equity, Mr. Biden means preferences for some racial groups over others to achieve equal outcomes. A federal judge in Wisconsin recently issued a temporary restraining order against a $3.8 billion Department of Agriculture program that allocates loan forgiveness by race. And last week another federal judge, this one in Florida, issued a preliminary injunction.

This program, part of Covid-19 relief, is aimed at helping “socially disadvantaged farmers.” A USDA fact sheet boasts that it steers benefits to those who are “Black, Native American/Alaskan Native, Asian American or Pacific Islander, or are of Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.” The legislation further includes $1.01 billion in funding “to USDA to create a racial equity commission and address longstanding discrimination across USDA.”

White farmers say the program’s allocation by race is unconstitutional—and that the program could run out of funds before their applications are even considered. Federal Judge William Griesbach in Wisconsin agreed, finding that the government lacked a “compelling interest” for racial classifications, that its use wasn’t narrowly tailored, and that the farmers are likely to succeed on the merits of their claim that Agriculture’s “use of race-based criteria” violates their right to equal protection under the law.

Meanwhile, two other federal courts have ruled against the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) program to distribute restaurant revitalization funds by race. Women and racial minorities were given priority in the first 21 days, sending everyone else to the back of the line. Federal Judge Reed O’Connor in Texas granted a preliminary injunction on grounds the restaurateurs are “experiencing race and sex discrimination at the hand of government officials.” The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals has granted a preliminary injunction in a separate case.

Mr. Biden sells his agenda as taking America into the future. But allocating government funds or privileges by race is a step back to an uglier past. It moves away from the ideal espoused by Martin Luther King Jr. that Americans should be judged by their character—not their skin color. Instead it adopts a system of racial preferences like Malaysia’s that favors ethnic Malays over other groups, especially ethnic Chinese. If applied on the scale Mr. Biden hopes, America would become a nation of groups competing for racial spoils and defined outcomes rather than seeking equal opportunity for everyone.

READ MORE Here...Paywall

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-racial-discrimination-11625006066?mod=trending_now_opn_pos1

Section 1 of the 14th Amendment: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Holly Martins

« Reply #11098 on: July 01, 2021, 09:42:55 AM »

I am pretty skeptical that this is legal:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2021/06/30/south-dakota-receiving-1-million-send-50-national-guardsmen-texas-border-crisis/7812901002/

I'm even more skeptical that it can be anything but a farce. 50 of them for how much border?!
Explain how it is illegal.

Not that you will engage, but it costs me next to nothing:

The notion that any random citizen can pay the government to send the National Guard where the citizen wants to send them makes the NG mercenaries, for all intents and purposes.

I don't believe that our government's military is allowed to be used as mercenaries in such a way.

Even the GOP rep of my district is questioning this.  My state does have a compact in effect with Texas (and others) to provide support to NG operations down there.   If TX has asked for support to border enforcement, then Noem can issue the order and simply say the donation is an assist to the state's budgeting.  But she can't send down troops in numbers that would be detrimental to operations in SD.   The whole thing is playing to the peanut gallery and its usual assortment of pinheaded xenophobes.   It's 50 troops and Texas law doesn't permit them to do active enforcement,  so they just do technical backup.   

As Larry puts it:  MAGA performance art.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:45:39 AM by Barton3.0 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: July 01, 2021, 09:44:28 AM »

I am pretty skeptical that this is legal:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2021/06/30/south-dakota-receiving-1-million-send-50-national-guardsmen-texas-border-crisis/7812901002/

I'm even more skeptical that it can be anything but a farce. 50 of them for how much border?!
Explain how it is illegal.

Not that you will engage, but it costs me next to nothing:

The notion that any random citizen can pay the government to send the National Guard where the citizen wants to send them makes the NG mercenaries, for all intents and purposes.

I don't believe that our government's military is allowed to be used as mercenaries in such a way.

Even the GOP rep of my district is questioning this.  My state does have a compact in effect with Texas (and others) to provide support to NG operations down there.   If TX has asked for support to border enforcement, then Noem can issue the order and simply say the donation is an assist to the state's budgeting.  But she can't send down troops in numbers that would be detrimental to operations in SD.   The whole thing is playing to the peanut gallery and its usual assortment of pinheaded xenophobes.   It's 50 troops and Texas law doesn't permit them to do active enforcement,  so they just do technical backup.

And a million dollars could have gotten a lot more "technical backup" than 50 NG soldiers can bring.
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 2926