Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755413 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #11130 on: July 01, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »

The justices held 6-3 along ideological lines that two state policies prohibiting out-of-precinct voting and ballot harvesting were not “enacted with a racially discriminatory purpose.”
Is that really the basis for the decision? The AZ laws were struck down under Section 2 of the VRA, which Congress amended in response to Mobile v. Bolden, specifically to apply the statute to discriminatory results, rather than purpose. If that is the basis of the SCOTUS decision they are ignoring the text and history of the statute.

Was there data on results that could have been presented to the Court?  Certainly in the case of "ballot harvesting," there would seem to be data somewhere showing that it disproportionately impacted Indigenous reservations and the ability of voters there to get ballots to the county seat.
The Court decided to look beyond disparate impact to see if there was a legitimate end to the leg did. Such as having secure elections and preventing fraud. Which given the factual basis of the case pretty much erases Section 2.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: July 01, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »

I hope we can look back on the court’s recent voting rights decisions as decisive steps that end the filibuster and move robust federal voting protections into law.

Keep marching. Pressure legislators. Pressure corporations. Pressure celebrities and media outlets.

Tear down and shred the opposition to robust federal voter protections. The ones who are wrong on this are all the way wrong.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: July 01, 2021, 02:35:30 PM »

Ward likes to mock others' reading of things, while almost always avoiding specifics that would expose either his own argument's flaws or his own lack of grasp of the issues.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-1257_g204.pdf

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: July 01, 2021, 02:53:47 PM »

It’s Souls to the Post offices and the death knell (finally) for the batshit crazy Arizona GOP.

20 billion dollar get out the vote push for better leadership started months ago while the other side has been playing lose the pickle with cyber ninjas.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: July 01, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »

("Love is the Absence of Judgement" Dalai Lama XIV)

I would like to applaud Ward, Kid, Ham, Luee, and Bambu as among the people who most embody love.

By passing judgement on them.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: July 01, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »

It’s Souls to the Post offices and the death knell (finally) for the batshit crazy Arizona GOP.

To be fair there is a fairlly large contingent of bat shit crazy Arizonans
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: July 01, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »

BTW,  almost everyone here has an insult name -- Che,  Mao,  Buckwheat, Forrest (doubly clever,  as it could be either Gump or Nathan), Fat Albert,  Sheriff Bart,  and the half dozen or more Fac has for Red which I haven't kept up with.  I feel a bit left out.   I could offer some suggestions, if you're in a hurry and need a quick insult off the shelf.

Can o' pee

Oilslick

Boil

Oilcan't

Oilspill

I hope these help,  and can expedite the process of insult naming that is so integral to this forum.

Look, what we throw up here is a lot of piss and vinegar. And as everyone knows oil and vinegar don't mix. So, it's best you stay on the sidelines in this game of Insult. But if you'd like a nickname to display your status in this Insult Game, I suggest "Waterboy".

Ciao, Waterboy.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: July 01, 2021, 03:12:37 PM »

To be fair there is a fairlly large contingent of bat shit crazy Arizonans

Then you must fit right in, Mao.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: July 01, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »

Ward likes to mock others' reading of things, while almost always avoiding specifics that would expose either his own argument's flaws or his own lack of grasp of the issues.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-1257_g204.pdf

A fine example of your inability to point out what it is that you think others misunderstood.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: July 01, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/ghislaine-maxwells-legal-team-hopes-171636213.html

Ghislaine Maxwell's legal team is hoping to have her sex trafficking convictions quashed in light of a recent ruling that freed Bill Cosby, the British socialite's lawyer told The Telegraph.

Cosby, the disgraced former comedian once beloved as “America’s dad”, was released from jail on Wednesday after a judge in Pennsylvania overturned his conviction based on an earlier non-prosecution agreement with the 83-year-old.

David Oscar Markus, a lawyer for Ms Maxwell, said the decision should be applied to her upcoming trial on sex trafficking charges because of a 2007 plea deal struck with her former boyfriend Jeffrey Epstein.

The agreement allowed Epstein to escape prosecution on federal sex-trafficking charges and instead plead guilty to lesser state crimes as well as shielding the financier's alleged co-conspirators from prosecution.

"I am hopeful that the Maxwell judge will reconsider her decision in light of the Cosby opinion," Mr Markus told The Telegraph. "If not, then there will be a trial and hopefully an appeal won’t be necessary as the case is so weak. But if so, then this will be a primary issue for us."

Ms Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to six counts that include sex trafficking of a minor and sex trafficking conspiracy. The trial is due to start in November.

"The government must live up to its promises. That’s the basis of our system. Third party beneficiaries can enforce contracts. For example, if I pay someone to paint your house, the painter can’t renege and say, well, (she) didn’t sign the contract so I don’t need to paint her house," he said.

Federal prosecutors have said that Epstein's plea deal does not apply to Ms Maxwell because it was negotiated in the Southern District of Florida and not the Southern District of New York, where Maxwell has been charged.

Prosecutors also say that because Ms Maxwell, 59, was not involved in its negotiations, she cannot enforce its provisions.
"But that reasoning makes no sense," Mr Markus said. "We have one federal government, and the agreement says clearly that the United States would not prosecute Maxwell."

Holly Martins

« Reply #11141 on: July 01, 2021, 04:01:55 PM »

I posit there is a correlation between hot climates and incidence of guano crazy.

I would like my Elba Insult Name to be one of these, if possible...

Bolshevik Bart
Rebart
Bartificial
Threadbart
Nostrabartus
Bale o' Bart Talk
The Immoral Bart

Holly Martins

« Reply #11142 on: July 01, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »

And a million dollars could have gotten a lot more "technical backup" than 50 NG soldiers can bring.

It's beyond stupid.   If Tennessee money bags just sent the check to Texas,  then it wouldn't have to pay for the transport from SD.   Why would SD troops, from an interior state,   have special expertise on border control?  .
They don't. They are about 2024, not actual border policy.

Yes.  Without my other posting on the topic, that one wasn't as clearly a rhetorical question - which it was.
is it permitted to answer rhetorical questions?

Answering that question "No" creates the type of paradox that has been known to seize up AI.

And NI,  as well.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: July 01, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »

I posit there is a correlation between hot climates and incidence of guano crazy.

I would like my Elba Insult Name to be one of these, if possible...

Bolshevik Bart
Rebart
Bartificial
Threadbart
Nostrabartus
Bale o' Bart Talk
The Immoral Bart

Napoleon BonaBart. Seems about right, given your need to be important.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: July 01, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »

("Love is the Absence of Judgement" Dalai Lama XIV)

I would like to applaud Ward, Kid, Ham, Luee, and Bambu as among the people who most embody love.

lol
Dalai Lama is wrong.
My judgement in seeking love with Mrs bambu was 100% sound.
Data Lama needs to watch more Hallmark movies.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 2926