Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755365 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #11175 on: July 01, 2021, 09:26:10 PM »

His team spoke with a Guatemalan woman, who was purportedly traveling by herself and did not speak English. The 31-year-old was on her way to Dallas, and then onto Miami, Florida. She had a "Notice to Appear" with a "to be determined" for a court date.

"So here she is in McAllen taking the same flight we are to Dallas and, I presume from there from Dallas to Miami with no specific day on when she has to appear, and I guess we’re just hoping we'll be able to reach her at some date in the future and tell her when to appear," Good said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-rep-operational-control-border-migrants-stream-flights
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: July 01, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »

None of this could be heard over the chirping of Rep. Good’s ankle monitor.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11177 on: July 01, 2021, 09:52:48 PM »

“Larry you made assertions of your inside knowledge without any proof. And do we need to go back to June of 2020 again? Come on, man! And telling people to Google in order to prove that you know something is pretty weak shit.”

You scoffed about me living in DC yet knowing about the BOE.

I knew a husband and wife team of poll workers from when I lived in Yorkville. They were an older couple who lived in my building at E93 St between 1st and 2nd who would give you chapter and verse on the nepotism and corruption rampant in the BOE. That goes back to the mid 80s.

And by the way, what initially I said about the BOE is common knowledge. You don’t want to take my word, then look it up for yourself.

Yes, please go back to June 2020 and make an assertion that I misrepresented.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: July 01, 2021, 11:09:59 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: July 01, 2021, 11:37:06 PM »

Know any liberals vilifying the "Don't tread on me" symbol?

Shall I claim my free hat?!

It's only $9.99, after all. (Or $6.67 per hat if I order three free ones.)

Conservative Review Newsletter   

Claim Your FREE Gadsden
"Don't Tread on Me" Hat   

Dear Fellow Patriot,

Contrary to what liberals say, the Gadsden "Don't Tread on Me" symbol should NOT be vilified in our great country...

...It is a symbol of the Patriotic Virtues of America: to Preserve Individual Freedom, to Stop Tyranny and to Keep the Government's Power in Check.

This is why so many American patriots proudly wear this yellow Gadsden Hat...

And why I've decided to give away 500 FREE 'Don't Tread on Me' hats to other fellow patriots who share these values!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:39:18 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: July 02, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »

Ahhh...so you're arguing that two wrongs make a right.

Got it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: July 02, 2021, 08:54:16 AM »

Oh look! Forrest deliberately misconstrued a post denouncing white supremacy! What a surprise.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: July 02, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »

Re Critical Race Theory

I don't know enough about it, other than the broad theme, that I think understand, that racism shapes society in most ways, to attack it or defend it as a sound framework to educate our children. And I suspect that true for most people, the defenders and critics.

And as a aside, I'm pretty sure, most people know about "white supremacy", as defined as Nazi's or the KKK, and attack it, as its a problem they can sort of understand as they can put a silly mustache on it, or a hood, or burning crosses or mass graves. And most people probably attack white supremicists, even those who may dangle on the edge of that category.

Perhaps proponents of CRT could do a better job of explaining CRT, which I suspect is far more complex and nuanced than one of Josh's nifty graphics can capture, and in this case, probably distort.

And FTR, voicing this observation does not make me a racist.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: July 02, 2021, 10:30:47 AM »

Re Critical Race Theory

I don't know enough about it...
You could have stopped there.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: July 02, 2021, 10:38:49 AM »

Re Critical Race Theory

Boz

thanks for proving my point about the wide spread ignorance of CRT.

Rather than discuss it, which I understand is most likely far outside your area of knowledge, which was my point about most Americans, you seem to want to use shaming or guilt, for compliance.

Do you really think that's an effective form of persuasion?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: July 02, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »

Re Critical Race Theory

Boz

thanks for proving my point about the wide spread ignorance of CRT.

Rather than discuss it, which I understand is most likely far outside your area of knowledge, which was my point about most Americans, you seem to want to use shaming or guilt, for compliance.

Do you really think that's an effective form of persuasion?
No it's not, no I don't and no it isn't.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: July 02, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »

Re Critical Race Theory

Perhaps proponents of CRT could do a better job of explaining CRT, which I suspect is far more complex and nuanced than one of Josh's nifty graphics can capture, and in this case, probably distort.

Given your self-proclaimed ignorance, "probably distort" seems like a claim to knowledge that you shouldn't be making.

CRT has been explained here, Banks. And I think you are too generous about reactions to the notions of White Supremacy and its related labels, but I could be wrong.

Understand that this is a 40 year old theory, not something that just came up during the Trump years. It derived from careful scholarly study of our legal systems (yes, more than one) and social structures (ditto). And as with any social science/legal field, it has been continually poked and prodded by supporters and opponents over the year, leading to additions and changes. I bumped into a book, "The New Critical Race Theory," not long ago.

Short, direct definition of CRT, courtesy of the Britannica:
intellectual movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans.

The second sentence is an application of the first to American history, though there are many other ways and places in which it can be and has been applied.

Opposition to application of CRT can be found in objections to a key element of the 1619 project, Howard Zinn's work, and many other works --> the notion that America was racist from the start.

Once one denies that, ignores the simple legal truths built into that and the centuries of furtherance of such legal and societal structure, it becomes trivial to then maintain that there is no historical element that has any kind of ongoing role in the inequities that exist in society today. (Indeed, there are some here who deny there is any systemic racism in America at all.)

I hope this helps.

If you are interested in a deeper take on it, I suggest these resources:
https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05

https://globalsocialtheory.org/topics/critical-race-theory/

Or, to go back before the current dust up, this book might not be a bad read for you:
https://archive.org/details/raceisraceisntcr0000unse

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: July 02, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »

"You could have stopped there," in response to "I don't know enough about it," was not for shaming, Banks.

It was to suggest that if you are aware of that, then working to alleviate your ignorance would seem like a better response to your lack of knowledge than the rest of what you wrote.

The next response was to suggest that it struck him as unlikely that you would actually do so, if I am reading correctly.

But there is no suggestion of shame, even so, let alone an expectation that you would feel any. Nor that you would be persuaded by his words.

It didn't even come across to me as exasperation so much as a comment akin to "Looks like we're having weather again today."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11189 on: July 02, 2021, 11:25:16 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 2926