Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 754364 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #11505 on: July 08, 2021, 12:43:04 PM »

I'm removing my six postings of quotes from the WaPo article on gun violence.  And will probably stop posting links, for the most part.  I put all that up as a courtesy to those who might hit a paywall, having some thought it could provoke a discussion of some of the points made about a rather complex issue, but I think this just isn't the place.  Maybe if we had a few more posters like Bo or Needs, who really get into the in-depth approach - I understand why they ended their participation here.

BTW, want to say I appreciate members like Josh and Fac and Larry, who really forage widely on the ol' interweb, and post hyperlinks along with their italicized quotes from those links. 

I will leave you all with the original link, in case anyone does want to read it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/14/2021-gun-violence/

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: July 08, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »

They let their elder child finish and graduate.

Unless there was a stipulation in the donation that the school must heed the donors' curricular wishes, they're just whiny rich people with buyer's remorse.

Same old same old. You pedal accepting the consequences of your decisions when it suits your message, then complain about it when it runs counter to your message.

No mention in the family's announcement that they want their name off the theater, but I suppose that they can pay for the change to that, at least, if they want it.

And if they are lucky, maybe they have an opt out clause in their donation commitment that lets them stop at the $240,000 they already gave - but it seems unlikely.

I am sure Jesus would approve of their desires, here. Not.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: July 08, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »

I'm removing my six postings of quotes from the WaPo article on gun violence.  And will probably stop posting links, for the most part.  I put all that up as a courtesy to those who might hit a paywall, having some thought it could provoke a discussion of some of the points made about a rather complex issue, but I think this just isn't the place.  Maybe if we had a few more posters like Bo or Needs, who really get into the in-depth approach - I understand why they ended their participation here.

BTW, want to say I appreciate members like Josh and Fac and Larry, who really forage widely on the ol' interweb, and post hyperlinks along with their italicized quotes from those links. 

I will leave you all with the original link, in case anyone does want to read it. 

I appreciated the link and the posting. I see no real point in taking them down, though I do wish we had a way like LJ and other blogging sites, to have a "cut" for folks to click on that would expand a long post.

Easy enough, even so, to scroll past using the page down button on the keyboard for those wishing to skip.

You could also repost it in UDC, which would seem like a good place for it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: July 08, 2021, 12:54:57 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/congressman-seen-viral-photo-quietly-cleaning-after-capitol-mob-donates-n1273284

This man represents the America I want to believe in.

And you can bet that the GOP is going to want to try to block the Smithsonian from running any exhibits about 1/6/2021!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: July 08, 2021, 01:31:42 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: July 08, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: July 08, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »

When I worked for the Burbank YMCA as a teen at a summer camp, at Camp Earl Anna, we had gun safety and marksmanship classes for the kids, with .22 rifles. We also had archery, with bows and arrows. 

That is the way to go in my opinion, teach the children young to respect guns and to be careful with them, and at the same time they learn that shooting guns can be fun and target practice is great. 

We also had a lake, and we taught the children how to fish, and we had horses so that the children could ride horses in the mountains. It was a great place for the city kids, they got to experience a lot of great things in the mountains by Tehachapi. 

They sold the camp, and I guess now they use a camp in Catalina Island named Camp Fox. 

Summer camps are important for the kids, and we used it as an opportunity to teach the children gun safety, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: July 08, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »

When I worked for the Burbank YMCA as a teen at a summer camp, at Camp Earl Anna, we had gun safety and marksmanship classes for the kids, with .22 rifles. We also had archery, with bows and arrows.

That is the way to go in my opinion, teach the children young to respect guns and to be careful with them, and at the same time they learn that shooting guns can be fun and target practice is great.

As a 10-12 YO camper in the early 60s, I had fun learning to shoot .22s under the auspices of training provided by the NRA. It was all target shooting. Somewhere stashed in my various junk boxes of crap kept for years, I have NRA issued sharp-shooter medals, NRA certificates of safety and a few yellowed targets attesting to my sniper abilities. It was the last time I shot a gun. 

Also stashed in those junk boxes, along with other treasures of my youth, are my Duncan Yo-Yo awards (circa 1960-61) and Official Aurora "Master Monster Maker" awards for my customized models of The Wolf Man and The Mummy (~1964).

a copy of which can be viewed here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363385382942

simpler times.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:55:29 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: July 08, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »

I appreciated the link and the posting. I see no real point in taking them down, though I do wish we had a way like LJ and other blogging sites, to have a "cut" for folks to click on that would expand a long post.

Easy enough, even so, to scroll past using the page down button on the keyboard for those wishing to skip.

You could also repost it in UDC, which would seem like a good place for it.

The article avoids the topic of firearms supply, which does not seem well regulated or to be functioning in service of any state militia. Once we recognized the opioid epidemic, a lot of time money and prosecutorial resources were devoted to disrupting the supply chain. The gun industry should be in similar crosshairs till the killings stop.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: July 08, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »

http://youtu.be/Ed8HFawtEIE

A well informed public is essential to a healthy democracy.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: July 08, 2021, 04:33:40 PM »

I am generally in favor of everybody's learning gun safety just as I am their learning water safety.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: July 08, 2021, 05:26:55 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/congressman-seen-viral-photo-quietly-cleaning-after-capitol-mob-donates-n1273284

This man represents the America I want to believe in.

And you can bet that the GOP is going to want to try to block the Smithsonian from running any exhibits about 1/6/2021!
I’ll take that bet.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11519 on: July 08, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/making-history-chileans-start-work-first-constitution-equally-drafted-rcna1353

What, if any, are the implications for us?!

They’ve put together a coalition to overcome the right wing idiots that have held sway for decades.
Since I no longer have an outside gig I don’t drive nearly as much as I used to. One the routes I frequented was through Sheridan Circle where Orlando Letellier and Ronni Mofitt were assassinated by car bombing.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 2926