Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 754369 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #11520 on: July 08, 2021, 06:12:32 PM »

I'm removing my six postings of quotes from the WaPo article on gun violence.  And will probably stop posting links, for the most part.  I put all that up as a courtesy to those who might hit a paywall, having some thought it could provoke a discussion of some of the points made about a rather complex issue, but I think this just isn't the place.  Maybe if we had a few more posters like Bo or Needs, who really get into the in-depth approach - I understand why they ended their participation here.

BTW, want to say I appreciate members like Josh and Fac and Larry, who really forage widely on the ol' interweb, and post hyperlinks along with their italicized quotes from those links. 

I will leave you all with the original link, in case anyone does want to read it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/14/2021-gun-violence/

I appreciated the link and the posting. I see no real point in taking them down, though I do wish we had a way like LJ and other blogging sites, to have a "cut" for folks to click on that would expand a long post.

Easy enough, even so, to scroll past using the page down button on the keyboard for those wishing to skip.

You could also repost it in UDC, which would seem like a good place for it.

The article avoids the topic of firearms supply, which does not seem well regulated or to be functioning in service of any state militia. Once we recognized the opioid epidemic, a lot of time money and prosecutorial resources were devoted to disrupting the supply chain. The gun industry should be in similar crosshairs till the killings stop.

Not until AFTER the next coup then watch the round up of firearms.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11522 on: July 08, 2021, 06:27:42 PM »

I'm removing my six postings of quotes from the WaPo article on gun violence.  And will probably stop posting links, for the most part.  I put all that up as a courtesy to those who might hit a paywall, having some thought it could provoke a discussion of some of the points made about a rather complex issue, but I think this just isn't the place.  Maybe if we had a few more posters like Bo or Needs, who really get into the in-depth approach - I understand why they ended their participation here.

BTW, want to say I appreciate members like Josh and Fac and Larry, who really forage widely on the ol' interweb, and post hyperlinks along with their italicized quotes from those links. 

I will leave you all with the original link, in case anyone does want to read it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/14/2021-gun-violence/

I appreciated the link and the posting. I see no real point in taking them down, though I do wish we had a way like LJ and other blogging sites, to have a "cut" for folks to click on that would expand a long post.

Easy enough, even so, to scroll past using the page down button on the keyboard for those wishing to skip.

You could also repost it in UDC, which would seem like a good place for it.

The article avoids the topic of firearms supply, which does not seem well regulated or to be functioning in service of any state militia. Once we recognized the opioid epidemic, a lot of time money and prosecutorial resources were devoted to disrupting the supply chain. The gun industry should be in similar crosshairs till the killings stop.

Unless I missed it they didn’t delve into homicides linked to domestic violence. People in quarantine with their abusers. Sooner or later these relationships reach the ‘THAT’S IT!’ moment and someone goes down. Add the newly purchased gun into the mix and they’re down for the count.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: July 08, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/politics/arizona-secretary-of-state-letter-2020-election/index.html

Somehow, imagining their AG following through on the requested investigation is tough, but if he doesn't, it becomes a major campaign issue against him.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: July 08, 2021, 06:36:29 PM »

I think we've seen the implications in this country for years, as women have become more involved and powerful in our governments, local and national, and gained seniority. I think women account for roughly 1/4 of the House and Senate. Women have also become more influential as journalists and and talking heads helping shape public opinions.

And there is no reason the trend will stop, and seeing that women outlive men...

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: July 08, 2021, 06:53:02 PM »

Guns?
If I lived in America I'd have many guns, one for every occasion.
A shotgun and handgun for charging bears, smaller and lighter handguns for self defence in workplaces, malls etc...although the bear-repelling handguns might be ok for that too, even if a bit heavy.
Home invaders could be stopped with a shotgun or a handgun, depending.
I'm learning how to survive in America via YouTube videos.
Today I learnt how to warm up if trapped in the snow...find a tree, place folded tarp on ground to sit on, take blanket and candle from pack. Place candle in snow, blanket over head/body, light candle. Blanket will trap heat from the candle [about 2" diameter]. Temp will rise from 31%F to 51%F in a while...not much of the candle used.
"It's what the old-timers used to do".
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: July 08, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/politics/arizona-secretary-of-state-letter-2020-election/index.html

Somehow, imagining their AG following through on the requested investigation is tough, but if he doesn't, it becomes a major campaign issue against him.
Has anyone informed Josh that Trump is no longer President?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: July 08, 2021, 07:15:12 PM »

http://youtu.be/Ed8HFawtEIE

A well informed public is essential to a healthy democracy.

Your Antifa buddies don't seem to believe in democracy.

When you're next marching, you might wanna march at the rear, have a powerful flash light in hand, and keep a distance between yourself and the other marchers...just in case you're being led off a cliff.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: July 08, 2021, 07:15:48 PM »

I think the answer is just to send several hundred million of our guns to Bambu and let the Australian authorities deal with them from there.

We can start a guns for bambi drive. Tony knows someone who could help with the theme song.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: July 08, 2021, 07:16:19 PM »

Inform trump first please.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: July 08, 2021, 07:20:11 PM »

http://youtu.be/Ed8HFawtEIE

A well informed public is essential to a healthy democracy.

Your Antifa buddies don't seem to believe in democracy.

When you're next marching, you might wanna march at the rear, have a powerful flash light in hand, and keep a distance between yourself and the other marchers...just in case you're being led off a cliff.

Is that the catechism they are feeding you in crackerstan, home of the fading pasty misanthropes? Whatever keeps you bound and gagged in your basement brother, but you’ll excuse me if I pass.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: July 08, 2021, 07:31:58 PM »

Joe did OK today

Really banking on the 300k strong Afghan fighting force

We shall see
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: July 08, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »

Joe did OK today

Really banking on the 300k strong Afghan fighting force

We shall see

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shocking-moment-afghan-troops-hand-24477196

Afghan troops seen shaking hands with Taliban as they give them their weapons

Afghan troops have handed over their weapons to the Taliban just days after US troops withdraw from the country.

Taliban fighters have swiftly gained ground across towns in the north and western provinces, forcing soldiers to surrender and civilians to flee as foreign forces withdraw from Afghanistan after almost 20 years.

In shocking scenes some Afghan soldiers were seen giving up their American guns and the keys to their armoured cars in surrender.

The two sides appeared to shake hands and even hug as the apparently peaceful exchange is made.

US General Scott Miller said he was shocked at how quickly the Afghan Army had given in to the Taliban, adding that "we should be concerned".

#####

No surprise to me, because I saw a video along the "Afghan war" ride...where a local said:
"The people are the Taliban."

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: July 08, 2021, 07:52:42 PM »

Guns?
If I lived in America I'd have many guns, one for every occasion.
I can think of no better argument for strict gun control laws.
A shotgun and handgun for charging bears, smaller and lighter handguns for self defence in workplaces, malls etc...although the bear-repelling handguns might be ok for that too,
Well, you are right about having handguns for.bears. Because in America, we have the Second Amendment's right to arm bears.
I'm learning how to survive in America via YouTube videos.
Res ipsa.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:02:26 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: July 08, 2021, 08:00:22 PM »

Are you that stupid? Actually you probably are.

Brnovich is trapped between his original impulse to do the right thing in November and his current need for the MAGA cult in his Senate run. He cannot conduct that investigation and have any hope for winning the Senate primary. My guess is he recuses himself as a possible witness, but the MAGA cult will not be satisfied with him not quashing it.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 2926