Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752711 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #12195 on: July 18, 2021, 04:41:28 PM »

Hannity continued to question how errors like this could have been made, saying, "At best what we are seeing out of Fulton county is incompetence running rampant at a high level, and at worst, serious fraud and potential abuse is going on pretty much in plain sight."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/hannity-reacts-to-latest-report-about-georgias-election-results
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: July 18, 2021, 04:43:25 PM »

Normal to schedule “ routine “ checkups on Sundays after Tuesdays when you meet with people who test positive for COVId.

Doesnt matter - best she got checked.  To me this is "routine" in these times.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: July 18, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »

I thought of an idea for a new Super Hero, the name of the new Super Hero could be "The Professor" and he could be a brilliant college professor who is secretly a Super Hero.

It has potential.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: July 18, 2021, 05:54:16 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/07/unsolicited-seeds-china-brushing/619417/

Fascinating story of rumors, hysteria,  goofy theories,  an internet e-commerce scam called "brushing" and the power of human forgetfulness.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:22 PM »

But if you truly follow the science of Climate Change alarmists of your ilk aren’t making much sense.

I used to think you were either dishonest or stupid.   Then I realized it was both.   

Facebook and QAnon sites are not reliable sources of scientific information.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: July 18, 2021, 06:35:42 PM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: July 18, 2021, 06:46:02 PM »

But if you truly follow the science of Climate Change alarmists of your ilk aren’t making much sense.

I used to think you were either dishonest or stupid.   Then I realized it was both.   

Wanna try that one again?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: July 18, 2021, 06:58:54 PM »

I wonder if Red believes the moronic things he posts, as I'm not sure he's as stupid as he portrays himself to be, and he's just trolling away. But I can't rule out stupidity is the shaky platform Red stands upon.

But Red is clearly dishonest.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: July 18, 2021, 07:14:31 PM »

Meanwhile, returning to substance:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/opinions/deadly-heat-waves-wet-bulb-climate-change-ki-moon-verkooijen/index.html

The steps by cities to deal with their increasing temperatures and the more frequent and more severe heat waves are worth considering in more than just the largest places and many of them even in places without the most extreme heat - because very few places are not going to be seeing their temperatures increase and well over half will get past that "wet bulb" number in the years to come.
According to the The International Disaster Database reports
Since 1920, the planet’s temperature has risen by 1.29 degrees Celsius and world population has quadrupled from less than two billion to over seven and half billion – but the number of people killed by natural disasters has declined by over 80 percent, from almost 550,000 per year to less than 100,000 per year.

The NOAA and the UN IPPC both  conclude  they lack evidence to show that warming is making storms and flooding worse.”
You don’t need to be a scientist to figure out that if devastating storm casualties are drastically being reduced mankind will continue to adapt to climate.

And then you have the conclusion of 22 scientists writing in the LANCET

They (examined) over 74 million deaths in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and the United States in 1985-2012, “the largest dataset ever collected to assess temperature-health associations”– reported that cold caused 7.29 percent of these deaths, while heat caused only 0.42 percent.

But the chicken littles of Climate Alarm will soon have to face reality.
The public isn’t  buying the bullshit anymore.
The Climate Change hoopla is way down the list of issues deemed important especially when the price tag for diminishing returns is revealed.

You do a masterful job of mixing irrelevant details with misleading claims. That there are fewer deaths is not a product of better weather, Ward, and you know it. It is a product of better equipment, responses, baseline health, and other factors.

The 1980–2020 annual average is 7.1 events (CPI-adjusted); the annual average for the most recent 5 years (2016–2020) is 16.2 events (CPI-adjusted).
~https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/

From 2011:
“The number of reported extreme weather events is increasing, but the number of deaths and the risk of dying from those events have decreased,” said Julian Morris, the study’s project director and vice president of research at Reason Foundation. “Economic development and technological improvements have enabled society to protect against these events and to cope better with them when they do occur.”
~https://reason.org/news-release/extreme-weather-kills-fewer-people/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/yes-climate-change-is-making-severe-weather-worse/
https://www.noaa.gov/news/report-climate-change-is-making-specific-weather-events-more-extreme
https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/
We also conclude that it is likely that climate warming will cause Atlantic hurricanes in the coming century have higher rainfall rates than present-day hurricanes, and medium confidence that they will be more intense (higher peak winds and lower central pressures) on average. In our view, it is uncertain how the annual number of Atlantic tropical storms will change over the 21st century. All else equal, coastal inundation levels associated with tropical cyclones should increase with sea level rise as projected for example by IPCC AR5. These assessment statements are intended to apply to climate warming of the type projected for the 21st century by prototype IPCC mid-range warming scenarios, such as A1B or RCP4.5.

The relatively conservative confidence levels attached to our tropical cyclone projections, and the lack of a claim of detectable anthropogenic influence on tropical cyclones at this time contrasts with the situation for other climate metrics, such as global mean temperature. In the case of global mean surface temperature, the IPCC AR5 presents a strong body of scientific evidence that most of the global warming observed over the past half century is very likely due to human-caused greenhouse gas emissions.

Understanding their comparative language makes it far easier to understand their perspectives.

They did not in 2017 "conclude  they lack evidence to show that warming is making storms and flooding worse,” no matter how places quoted the WSJ's saying they did.

This report from the IPCC puts the lie to your quote:
https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/03/SREX-Chap3_FINAL-1.pdf

A few excerpts from the summary:
It is very likely that mean sea level rise will contribute to upward trends in extreme coastal high water levels in the future. There is high confidence that locations currently experiencing adverse impacts such as coastal erosion and inundation will continue to do so in the future due to increasing sea levels, all other contributing factors being equal.
There is high confidence that changes in heat waves, glacial retreat, and/or permafrost degradation will
affect high-mountain phenomena such as slope instabilities, mass movements, and glacial lake outburst
floods. There is also high confidence that changes in heavy precipitation will affect landslides in some
regions.
It is likely that the frequency of heavy precipitation or the proportion of total rainfall from heavy rainfalls
will increase in the 21st century over many areas of the globe. This is particularly the case in the high latitudes
and tropical regions, and in winter in the northern mid-latitudes. Heavy rainfalls associated with tropical cyclones are likely to increase with continued warming induced by enhanced greenhouse gas concentrations. There is medium confidence that, in some regions, increases in heavy precipitation will occur despite projected decreases in total precipitation.
Projected precipitation and temperature changes imply possible changes in floods, although overall there
is low confidence in projections of changes in fluvial floods. Confidence is low due to limited evidence and
because the causes of regional changes are complex, although there are exceptions to this statement. There is medium confidence (based on physical reasoning) that projected increases in heavy rainfall would contribute to increases in local flooding, in some catchments or regions. Earlier spring peak flows in snowmelt and glacier-fed rivers are very likely.
There is medium confidence that droughts will intensify in the 21st century in some seasons and areas,
due to reduced precipitation and/or increased evapotranspiration.

I did find one that your reporter probably leaned on heavily:
Uncertainty in projections of changes in large-scale patterns of natural climate variability remains large.  There is low confidence in projections of changes in monsoons (rainfall, circulation), because there is little consensus in climate models regarding the sign of future change in the monsoons. Model projections of changes in El NiñoSouthern Oscillation variability and the frequency of El Niño episodes as a consequence of increased greenhouse gas concentrations are not consistent, and so there is low confidence in projections of changes in the phenomenon. However, most models project an increase in the relative frequency of central equatorial Pacific events (which typically exhibit different patterns of climate variations than do the classical East Pacific events). There is low confidence in the ability to project changes in other natural climate modes including the North Atlantic Oscillation, the Southern Annular Mode, and the Indian Ocean Dipole

But overall, you are relying on people who are deliberately misinterpreting the science, Ward.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: July 18, 2021, 07:19:12 PM »

Instead of building prisons and hiring cops, we need to build more colleges instead and we need to hire more teachers. Instead of building a wall and hiring border patrol guards, etc, then we need to build more medical schools, and we need to train more doctors. We need to spend our money where our priorities are.

Tony, the party to which you seem to remain loyal strongly prefers to build more prisons than train more teachers, if not as much as it used to.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:06 PM »

This chick's a total joke.  And CNN thinks she can help save them - heh

https://www.foxnews.com/media/byron-donalds-cnn-brianna-keilar

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: July 18, 2021, 08:39:40 PM »

You do a masterful job of mixing irrelevant details with misleading claims. That there are fewer deaths is not a product of better weather, Ward, and you know it. It is a product of better equipment, responses, baseline health, and other factors.

Really.. what part of our lives is NOT better due to adapting to “ change with better equipment, responses, baseline health, and other factors.”?

But overall, you are relying on people who are deliberately misinterpreting the science, Ward.
I cited sources. 
Many of the same ones you cited.
Judging from the polls the public doesn’t believe your interpretation.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: July 18, 2021, 08:47:54 PM »

Really.. what part of our lives is NOT better due to adapting to “ change with better equipment, responses, baseline health, and other factors.”?

I cited sources. 
Many of the same ones you cited.
Judging from the polls the public doesn’t believe your interpretation.

And this is what I mean when I note your refusal to engage in meaningful debate.

You didn't cite anything, Ward. You quoted somebody else's commentary on unspecified sources, without providing a citation for your quote. Then you mentioned a journal and a quote, but, again, no citation. Which issue? Which article? We will never know from you.

(And you are still unwilling to commit to answering my question if I answered yours. So not surprised!)

I rebutted your non-citations. The best you can do is, "the public disagrees with your interpretation," and even that you could not source!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: July 18, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »

”Tell us, Larry, if she were still here today, would you still beat your wife?

FUN stuff.”

You are literally a slag heap of human excrement.

But next time I go to the Cathedral I’m going to light a candle for you.

Hey, it was EXACTLY the same kind of  "argument" that was made by you to justify the label racist.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: July 18, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »

It's a simple, utopian idea. If we give everyone a monthly check, we can eliminate poverty and do away with the inefficiencies of our cumbersome and flawed welfare state. Minneapolis is the latest city to give a “universal basic income” (UBI) a try. It's offering $500 a month for 18 months to 150 of its low-income residents with no work or spending restrictions.

But others worry it's not so simple. A universal basic income would be expensive, and what if it discourages people to work, which could inadvertently increase inequality and lead to social instability? A new paper suggests the skeptics may be right: UBI may cause more harm than good for a very high cost.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-07-16/would-a-universal-basic-income-work-for-gen-z?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=210716&utm_campaign=sharetheview

Thus far, none of the research has supported that supposition.

That doesn't mean it won't change, but the evidence goes the other way.

But even more than that, we don't need everybody to work for us to have enough for everybody to eat, have shelter, etc.

This was declared more than 50 years ago and it is far more true today than it was then. It's one of the simple truths that make capitalism perhaps less called for than the capitalists would like.

Assuming we survive our climate issues, there will not be enough jobs for everybody in this country to work. Cheaper energy is one of the main reasons for this. Efficiency of operation is another. Automation that takes advantage of the first and feeds into the second is the third.

People need something to do, probably, but "work" for pay may well not be among them

Sure. No one needs to work when you create a system of DEPENDING on government assistance.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 2924