Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752603 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #12210 on: July 18, 2021, 09:00:37 PM »

You do a masterful job of mixing irrelevant details with misleading claims. That there are fewer deaths is not a product of better weather, Ward, and you know it. It is a product of better equipment, responses, baseline health, and other factors.

Really.. what part of our lives is NOT better due to adapting to “ change with better equipment, responses, baseline health, and other factors.”?

But overall, you are relying on people who are deliberately misinterpreting the science, Ward.
I cited sources. 
Many of the same ones you cited.
Judging from the polls the public doesn’t believe your interpretation.

And this is what I mean when I note your refusal to engage in meaningful debate.

You didn't cite anything, Ward. You quoted somebody else's commentary on unspecified sources, without providing a citation for your quote. Then you mentioned a journal and a quote, but, again, no citation. Which issue? Which article? We will never know from you.
every fact I listed was sourced.
I rebutted your non-citations.
There were no non citations
  The best you can do is, "the public disagrees with your interpretation," and even that you could not source!

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/08/13/important-issues-in-the-2020-election/pp_2020-08-13_voter-attitudes_4-01/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:02:31 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: July 18, 2021, 09:08:08 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12212 on: July 18, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »

You are literally a slag heap of human excrement.

But apparently you cant wait to see what he posts next

Heh
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: July 18, 2021, 09:12:43 PM »

It's a simple, utopian idea. If we give everyone a monthly check, we can eliminate poverty and do away with the inefficiencies of our cumbersome and flawed welfare state. Minneapolis is the latest city to give a “universal basic income” (UBI) a try. It's offering $500 a month for 18 months to 150 of its low-income residents with no work or spending restrictions.

But others worry it's not so simple. A universal basic income would be expensive, and what if it discourages people to work, which could inadvertently increase inequality and lead to social instability? A new paper suggests the skeptics may be right: UBI may cause more harm than good for a very high cost.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-07-16/would-a-universal-basic-income-work-for-gen-z?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=210716&utm_campaign=sharetheview

Thus far, none of the research has supported that supposition.

That doesn't mean it won't change, but the evidence goes the other way.

But even more than that, we don't need everybody to work for us to have enough for everybody to eat, have shelter, etc.

This was declared more than 50 years ago and it is far more true today than it was then. It's one of the simple truths that make capitalism perhaps less called for than the capitalists would like.

Assuming we survive our climate issues, there will not be enough jobs for everybody in this country to work. Cheaper energy is one of the main reasons for this. Efficiency of operation is another. Automation that takes advantage of the first and feeds into the second is the third.

People need something to do, probably, but "work" for pay may well not be among them

Sure. No one needs to work when you create a system of DEPENDING on government assistance.

Way to ignore the point.

If nobody worked in the past, everything would have fallen apart and nothing would have been made.

Now, while we still need some folks to make things happen, the need is far lower.

And... as I said, there has been little evidence to suggest that with UBI there would be a huge shift to stop working. Plenty of evidence to contradict it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12214 on: July 18, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »

It's a simple, utopian idea. If we give everyone a monthly check, we can eliminate poverty and do away with the inefficiencies of our cumbersome and flawed welfare state. Minneapolis is the latest city to give a “universal basic income” (UBI) a try. It's offering $500 a month for 18 months to 150 of its low-income residents with no work or spending restrictions.

But others worry it's not so simple. A universal basic income would be expensive, and what if it discourages people to work, which could inadvertently increase inequality and lead to social instability? A new paper suggests the skeptics may be right: UBI may cause more harm than good for a very high cost.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-07-16/would-a-universal-basic-income-work-for-gen-z?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=210716&utm_campaign=sharetheview

But even more than that, we don't need everybody to work for us to have enough for everybody to eat, have shelter, etc.

This was declared more than 50 years ago and it is far more true today than it was then. It's one of the simple truths that make capitalism perhaps less called for than the capitalists would like.

Assuming we survive our climate issues, there will not be enough jobs for everybody in this country to work. Cheaper energy is one of the main reasons for this. Efficiency of operation is another. Automation that takes advantage of the first and feeds into the second is the third.

People need something to do, probably, but "work" for pay may well not be among them

Sure. No one needs to work when you create a system of DEPENDING on government assistance.

Way to ignore the point.

If nobody worked in the past, everything would have fallen apart and nothing would have been made.

Now, while we still need some folks to make things happen, the need is far lower.

And... as I said, there has been little evidence to suggest that with UBI there would be a huge shift to stop working. Plenty of evidence to contradict it.

This WAS your "point": People need something to do, probably, but "work" for pay may well not be among them

You don't need to work. You just need something to do.

People, particularly young people, who learn how to work and how to take care of themselves tend to be more successful than those who rely on others' assistance, no matter the form or who provides such assistance.

But...you'd rather they didn't do so.

WTF kind of loser mentality are you pushing, josh?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: July 18, 2021, 09:33:48 PM »

I always have thought that a government/tax-payer provided UBI (essentially a negative income tax) was an idea worthy of discussion. As far as I know the first person to seriously suggest it was that notoriously Woke, left-wing, big government radical Milton Friedman
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12216 on: July 18, 2021, 09:34:47 PM »

More Texas democrats test positive for COVId.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: July 18, 2021, 09:46:46 PM »

Can't make it up.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: July 18, 2021, 10:02:44 PM »

I always have thought that a government/tax-payer provided UBI (essentially a negative income tax) was an idea worthy of discussion. As far as I know the first person to seriously suggest it was that notoriously Woke, left-wing, big government radical Milton Friedman
Friedman was hardly first or foremost  A partial list:

Bertrand Russell, philosopher
Huey Long, governor and US Senator from Louisiana, in his Share Our Wealth plan
American economists James Tobin, Paul Samuelson, and John Kenneth Galbraith signed a document with 1,200 other economists in 1968 calling for the 90th U.S. Congress to introduce in that year a system of income guarantees and supplements.[95]
American economist Milton Friedman advocated a basic income in the form of a negative income tax in his 1962 book Capitalism and Freedom, and again in his 1980 book Free to Choose.[96][97]
Austrian economist Friedrich Hayek advocated a guaranteed minimum income in his 1944 book The Road to Serfdom, and reiterated his support in his 1973 book Law, Legislation and Liberty.[98][99]
British economist, Centennial Professor at the London School of Economics, and senior research fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford, Tony Atkinson.[100]
British economist James Meade[101][102]
British engineer and pioneer of the social credit economic reform movement, C. H. Douglas[103][104]
Civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. endorsed it under the name of "the guaranteed income" in his 1967 book Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community? shortly before his assassination.[105][106]
French politician Lionel Stoléru argued for UBI in 1974, remarking that it would provide “a means of suppressing and simplifying the entire current series of social programmes”.[107]
U.S. Senator George McGovern from South Dakota sponsored a bill proposed by the National Welfare Rights Organization to enact a $6,500 guaranteed minimum income,[108] and in his 1972 presidential campaign, proposed replacing the personal income tax exemption with a $1,000 tax credit as a minimum-income floor for every citizen.[109]
Virginia Woolf, English writer
Michael Bohmeyer
German entrepreneur, author and activist
Mein Grundeinkommen
German registered association

The problem is political.
Legislators think proposing universal basic income is suicidal to their careers.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: July 18, 2021, 10:09:34 PM »

Yes. I should have said “one of the first.”
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12220 on: July 18, 2021, 10:29:00 PM »

But if you truly follow the science of Climate Change alarmists of your ilk aren’t making much sense.

I used to think you were either dishonest or stupid.   Then I realized it was both.   

Facebook and QAnon sites are not reliable sources of scientific information.

I wonder if Red believes the moronic things he posts, as I'm not sure he's as stupid as he portrays himself to be, and he's just trolling away. But I can't rule out stupidity is the shaky platform Red stands upon.

But Red is clearly dishonest.

Red is a shill.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12221 on: July 18, 2021, 10:34:04 PM »

This chick's a total joke.  And CNN thinks she can help save them - heh

https://www.foxnews.com/media/byron-donalds-cnn-brianna-keilar

"A black man voting for the Republicans makes about as much sense as a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders."

--J.C. Watts Sr.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12222 on: July 18, 2021, 10:35:14 PM »

”Tell us, Larry, if she were still here today, would you still beat your wife?

FUN stuff.”

But next time I go to the Cathedral I’m going to light a candle for you.

Hey, it was EXACTLY the same kind of  "argument" that was made by you to justify the label racist.

No.

Nothing at all.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12223 on: July 18, 2021, 10:37:57 PM »

You’d be surprised how many enterprising and entrepreneurial efforts will be unleashed in people who aren’t just scuffling to survive.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12224 on: July 18, 2021, 10:41:04 PM »

But apparently you cant wait to see what he posts next

Heh

One Nazi and a Nazi sympathizers chatting among themselves.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 2924