Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751756 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #12510 on: July 22, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/07/21/bill-oreilly-restraining-order-against-accuser-andrea-mackris-appearance-the-view/8049598002/

Heh

I don't think Bill O'Reilly's rep will be as well served by this restraining order as he thinks - the order is going to generate far more attention to Mackris's claims and those of the others than allowing her to appear on The View would have.

$9 million is a substantial settlement for him to have agreed to in a case in which he was accusing her of extortion. It suggests there was a lot of damage to be done by her case.

Of course, the new trial, itself, seems likely to bring a release of plenty of damaging statements.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12511 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:14 AM »

Hass avocados are grown in Mexico.

Wow. I just looked up their story. Hass is about as Californian as they come. Israel does produce and export Hass avocados along with several other varieties, but the ones I see have probably never crossed state lines.

That is such a relief.

Thanks Bart.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12512 on: July 22, 2021, 10:52:48 AM »

Nor should Pelosi allow McCarthy to drop a deuce into punchbowl and she should remove the turds pre-punch.

So you are backing in with "Pelosi gets to approve all appointments since she controls the House"?

JUst say so

Doesn't seem like this was the agreement though - and this is why McCarthy is pulling his stunt.

Pelosi wasn't happy with the concessions that led to the bill - and is acting out, seems to me.  I have long said she is very good at her job.  But McCarthy is no slouch at his.

Let's just watch it play out.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12513 on: July 22, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/07/21/bill-oreilly-restraining-order-against-accuser-andrea-mackris-appearance-the-view/8049598002/

Heh

I don't think Bill O'Reilly's rep will be as well served by this restraining order as he thinks - the order is going to generate far more attention to Mackris's claims and those of the others than allowing her to appear on The View would have.

$9 million is a substantial settlement for him to have agreed to in a case in which he was accusing her of extortion. It suggests there was a lot of damage to be done by her case.

Of course, the new trial, itself, seems likely to bring a release of plenty of damaging statements.

She’ll probably get a dozen bookings in to discuss the restraining order where host brings on a second guest among those who study the vermin at Fox Corp to actually dissect the luffa doofus, and chop off any vestigial regrowth in his reputation so he doesn’t emerge from the muck to rape, rape, rape again.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12514 on: July 22, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »

If Repos wanted the Committee Katko negotiated for they should have voted for it. They didn't. Pelosi only formed the select committee when the bipartisan negotiated committee was torpedoed by the Repos who have zero interest now in getting to the truth of 1/6. Try to keep up. It is not that hard.

Let's face it - both sides want answers re:  the extremists involved in 1/6 - and how moving forward a better job can be done tracking these miscreants.

Now - on to other purpose -

Republicans feel the actions of BLM and others have been swept under the rug - and want investigation of that included in the commission's work.  This along with their well meaning looks into the horrid acts from 1/6

note:  yes, some in the Republican party want 1/6 in the rear view - totally - fearful of the next witch hunt that may be coming at their party

Democrats want to sully the reputation of Republicans who may be looking to run for office (see Trump) - possibly even looking to get some good legislators removed from their position (see McCarthy). This along with their well meaning looks into the horrid acts from 1/6.

It will all get done in time - and we will be better for it.  But let's be fair - follow the agreement, Madam Speaker.  Allow McCarthy's choices on the commission.  Would go a long way to bipartisanship and a much better rep for you.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12515 on: July 22, 2021, 11:11:31 AM »

If Repos wanted the Committee Katko negotiated for they should have voted for it. They didn't. Pelosi only formed the select committee when the bipartisan negotiated committee was torpedoed by the Repos who have zero interest now in getting to the truth of 1/6. Try to keep up. It is not that hard.

Let's face it - both sides want answers re:  the extremists involved in 1/6 - and how moving forward a better job can be done tracking these miscreants.

No.

Your party explicitly does not want answers. Some do, but not McCarthy, who answers to Trump, and not McConnell. And certainly not Trump.

Jim Jordan is another who does not want answers. Greene, as well. I am less familiar with the other rep, besides Jordan, that Pelosi kicked.

But my suspicion is that Jordan is going to called as a witness, which is part of why he cannot be on the thing.

Remember that we still have not seen the footage of the tours given prior to 1/6 - those will either highlight a number of aberrant US Reps from the GOP or it will clear the lot of them from suspicion. But they need to come out and it could be that while Pelosi is not stating causes for actions that that might be among them.

Might.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12516 on: July 22, 2021, 11:15:25 AM »

Jordan won't be testifying

Nor will McCarthy
Nor will Trump

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12517 on: July 22, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »

Nor should Pelosi allow McCarthy to drop a deuce into punchbowl and she should remove the turds pre-punch.

So you are backing in with "Pelosi gets to approve all appointments since she controls the House"?

JUst say so

Doesn't seem like this was the agreement though - and this is why McCarthy is pulling his stunt.

Pelosi wasn't happy with the concessions that led to the bill - and is acting out, seems to me.  I have long said she is very good at her job.  But McCarthy is no slouch at his.

Women!

Can't live with 'em can't live without 'em.

Pelosi had the authority to fashion a committee for an investigation and she used the authority to do so.

Given the facts as I know them, I've no problem with Pelosi in this regard.

And we know how this will play out.

Team Pelosi will ask tough questions and I suspect Liz, the Dems token R, will play it straight, to get to the facts, and yes there is a likely sub-agenda to discredit fascists in the R-party who may have been involved in some manner in the insurrection.

Team McCarthy will sabotage the efforts and contest any damning findings as a Pelosi-partisan propaganda.

Anything other than that would surprise me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12518 on: July 22, 2021, 11:31:29 AM »

JUst say so

The Committee has no purpose other than a campaign bludgeon against the GOP in 2022.
The guilty are and will be punished.  Pelosi just doesn’t want embarrassing  distractions into the lack of  readiness at the Capitol which would make her look bad.
McCarthy was wise to walk away from a political kangaroo court.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12519 on: July 22, 2021, 11:45:16 AM »

Jordan won't be testifying

Nor will McCarthy
Nor will Trump

DOJ will enforce the subpoenas.

DC will happily provide the cells.

Kid, why do crooks, creeps, and molesters gravitate so strongly to your party?

It’s come to be all that defines you these days.

Why did you do this to yourself?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12520 on: July 22, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »

The guilty (rioters and insurrectionists) are and will be punished.
That is the sole purpose of the committee I.e. find out who is guilty
which REQUIRES AN INVESTIGATION.
McCarthy's fear of the truth is self-evident.  It will hurt his chances to be Speaker.
But his walking away from a just and necessary inquiry
makes him look like a fool and an idiot.

That is not, apparently, what he fears.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12522 on: July 22, 2021, 12:04:17 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/07/22/will-the-battle-over-critical-race-theory-be-a-winning-issue-for-the-right-it-already-is/

When Reagan and Nixon started constantly lying, no one on the right since has ever even bothered to try and stop.

Dishonest degenerate republicans are a worthless fucking plague.

Holly Martins

« Reply #12523 on: July 22, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »

JUst say so

McCarthy had five candidates for appointment, Pelosi rejected two as entirely unfit due to their personal bias and past departures from the truth.  Those were reasonable grounds for rejection of those two, and that in no way blocks the remaining candidates McC put forward.  She did her job, to have committee integrity.  McCarthy should do his, which is replace the two rejects with better ones.  The entire point of committees that investigate is to do so IMPARTIALLY and with high regard for the facts wherever they lead.  If you can't see why someone like Gym Jordan is unsuitable, then you've had too much of the cult koolaid. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #12524 on: July 22, 2021, 12:12:07 PM »

Hass avocados are grown in Mexico.

Wow. I just looked up their story. Hass is about as Californian as they come. Israel does produce and export Hass avocados along with several other varieties, but the ones I see have probably never crossed state lines.

That is such a relief.

Thanks Bart.

You're welcome.  I should have added that they were bred in CA, and some are grown there.  In most of the US, the greater percentage of avocados come from Mexico, and are Hass variety.  Israel exports to Europe, mainly.  Transoceanic shipping would probably not be too good for their shelf quality, I'm guessing.

I'm a big avocado fan.  And my vegetable-hating spouse likes them, which is great because it's something green and fiber-rich  she will eat.  Watch out for that brown oxidation layer that forms!  (my strategy:  just eat the whole damn thing right away)
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 2924