Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752392 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #12765 on: July 26, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »

Oh, Hamilton Samuels went out fishing for a LarryB and came home with a Barton.

That's one of the Child Ballads.

Always loved me some Child Ballads.

Though this one sounds more like one of the Bab Ballads.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: July 26, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »

Bolded cities are on both lists.

BLM.

Wow.  Just say it.  Get it off your chest.  And, added benefit, others can point out the problems with your (implied) statistical analysis.

Nothing implied. You inferred. I wish to reduce murder rates of ALL peoole, regardless of ethnicity. Given BLM, it would seem you wokies would want to concentrate your efforts in areas that are particularly stressed.

The data is the data.

Your post is your post.

And I agree. Nothing implied. It was quite overt.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: July 26, 2021, 03:09:31 PM »

Just checked the list.   South Dakota joins Vermont,  Maine,  and Iowa in having the lowest homicide rate in the US.  Minnesota and Idaho close to bottom,  too.  Trying to find a commonality, I notice all the bottom ten states have short summers,  cold winters and a fair amount of open space.   Which sort of jibes with social science research I've seen on climate,  population distribution,  and homicide rates.   

DC is well above all the states in homicide rate,   which I think might relate to it being entirely densely populated urban and with no suburban and rural areas averaged in to that.  States generally are not just consisting of a city.  If you included suburban VA and Maryland,  I think the picture would change.   

And Mass and RI might be near the bottom due to gun control laws and how they're enforced.

Probably a fairer DC comparison would be with other cities,  inside their urban  boundaries.   And then DC comes out on the bottom of the list....

The twenty cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

St. Louis, MO (69.4)
Baltimore, MD (51.1)
New Orleans, LA (40.6)
Detroit, MI (39.7)
Cleveland, OH (33.7)
Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
Kansas City, MO (31.2)
Memphis, TN (27.1)
Newark, NJ (25.6)
Chicago, IL (24)
Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
Tulsa, OK (18.6)
Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
Louisville, KY (17.5)
Oakland, CA (17.1)
Washington D.C. (17.0)
Atlanta, GA (16.7)

Well,  well.   Got a hideabed,  Larry?

20 Metro areas with highest black population.

1. New York, New York 
2   Atlanta, Georgia 
3   Washington, District of Columbia 
4   Chicago, Illinois 
5   Miami, Florida 
6   Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 
7   Houston, Texas MSA   
8   Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas MSA   
9   Detroit, Michigan MSA   
10   Los Angeles, California MSA   
11   Baltimore, Maryland MSA   
12   Memphis, Tennessee
13   Charlotte, North Carolina 
14   Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Virginia (VA-NC) 
15   St. Louis, Missouri (MO-IL)
16   Orlando, Florida 
17   Boston, Massachusetts 
18   New Orleans, Louisiana 
19   Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida 
20   Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria, Ohio

BLM.
More Black People Behaving Badly from "What Makes You Think I'm a Racist?" Forrest.

The data is the data.

If I was pointing out a blue Jay in a tree, and you'd claim I hate blue Jays.

But then, you can't argue against facts.
If you constantly pointed out blue jays every time they did something wrong to the exclusion of all other birds, constantly brought blue jays into discussions, kept denying the effect of historical anti blue jayness in the modern situation for blue jays, used blue jayness to bait the only blue jay on the forum and took inordinate pleasure in taunting people into this kindng you hate blue jays then, yeah, Forrest, your history over 20 years on this forum makes you a racist.

And the racism is not in the facts but what you do with them. So, what is your non-racist point with pointing out the correlation between high crime rates in major cities and the large concentration of African Americans in major cities?
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: July 26, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »

Just checked the list.   South Dakota joins Vermont,  Maine,  and Iowa in having the lowest homicide rate in the US.  Minnesota and Idaho close to bottom,  too.  Trying to find a commonality, I notice all the bottom ten states have short summers,  cold winters and a fair amount of open space.   Which sort of jibes with social science research I've seen on climate,  population distribution,  and homicide rates.   

DC is well above all the states in homicide rate,   which I think might relate to it being entirely densely populated urban and with no suburban and rural areas averaged in to that.  States generally are not just consisting of a city.  If you included suburban VA and Maryland,  I think the picture would change.   

And Mass and RI might be near the bottom due to gun control laws and how they're enforced.

Probably a fairer DC comparison would be with other cities,  inside their urban  boundaries.   And then DC comes out on the bottom of the list....

The twenty cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

St. Louis, MO (69.4)
Baltimore, MD (51.1)
New Orleans, LA (40.6)
Detroit, MI (39.7)
Cleveland, OH (33.7)
Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
Kansas City, MO (31.2)
Memphis, TN (27.1)
Newark, NJ (25.6)
Chicago, IL (24)
Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
Tulsa, OK (18.6)
Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
Louisville, KY (17.5)
Oakland, CA (17.1)
Washington D.C. (17.0)
Atlanta, GA (16.7)

1. New York, New York 
2   Atlanta, Georgia 
4   Chicago, Illinois 
5   Miami, Florida 
7   Houston, Texas MSA   
12   Memphis, Tennessee
16   Orlando, Florida 

BLM.
More Black People Behaving Badly from "What Makes You Think I'm a Racist?" Forrest.

The data is the data.

If you constantly pointed out blue jays every time they did something wrong to the exclusion of all other birds, constantly brought blue jays into discussions, kept denying the effect of historical anti blue jayness in the modern situation for blue jays, used blue jayness to bait the only blue jay on the forum and took inordinate pleasure in taunting people into this kindng you hate blue jays then, yeah, Forrest, your history over 20 years on this forum makes you a racist.

And the racism is not in the facts but what you do with them. So, what is your non-racist point with pointing out the correlation between high crime rates in major cities and the large concentration of African Americans in major cities?

BLM isn't targeting the problem with their own community. That's a fact.

You can't blame cops for that.

Blue Jays are rather nasty birds, btw. Fortunately, they get their asses kicked by sapsuckers and woodpeckers.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: July 26, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »

St. Louis, MO (69.4)
Baltimore, MD (51.1)
New Orleans, LA (40.6)
Detroit, MI (39.7)
Cleveland, OH (33.7)
Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
Kansas City, MO (31.2)
Memphis, TN (27.1)
Newark, NJ (25.6)
Chicago, IL (24)
Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
Tulsa, OK (18.6)
Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
Louisville, KY (17.5)
Oakland, CA (17.1)
Washington D.C. (17.0)
Atlanta, GA (16.7)

1. New York, New York 
2   Atlanta, Georgia 
4   Chicago, Illinois 
5   Miami, Florida 
7   Houston, Texas MSA   
12   Memphis, Tennessee
16   Orlando, Florida 

BLM.

The data is the data.

BLM isn't targeting the problem with their own community. That's a fact.
Yes they are. Just not the one you want them to take up because it makes you feel better. Nothing ids racism quite like telling black people what they need to care about.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: July 26, 2021, 03:19:07 PM »

Hammy Sammy has no class.
Hammy Sammy is an ass.
Hammy Sammy makes his cases.
All Ham proves is he’s a racist.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: July 26, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »

The poll needs more options.

D) make them caucus leaders, dumping McCarthy and his #2.

E) every Rep not Cheney and Kinzinger on the GOP side should resign in shame and start a trump bashing apology tour.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: July 26, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »

Larry asked why I supported Pelosi's appointment of GOP Reps to the 1-6 Committee.

This is part of why, though only a part:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/politics/republicans-mccarthy-kinzinger-cheney-january-6-committee/index.html

Internal turmoil for the GOP is a good thing.

Turmoil because people are putting party over country and demonstrating that practice in an amazingly public way is all the better.

Cheney and Kinzinger are now pols without a party and will get primaried hard in '22 by zealots of the conspiratorial and crazy right.

I've no idea if either survives the nasty and dirty politics they will face.

But they have a platform to showcase independence and approached 1/6 in a non-partisan manner.

For the Dems this is not about R-internal politics and power plays in the kitchen, that cake was already baked in Mar A Lago. 

this is about marketing and PR to the few non-crazy, non-Qs, moderate Repubs left and independent voters, who were distressed by the conspiratorial nuts who wanted to overthrow democracy, and who may be swing voters in '22.

The 1/6 Commission will be painted as a partisan hit job by Team McCarthy. If Nancy can market it as a bi-partisan effort to get to the truth, she has a better chance of impressing independent voters and perhaps keeping the fascists from running the show  in '22.

And pound the shit out of them with her gavel for a few more years.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: July 26, 2021, 03:57:38 PM »

As to what the GOP should do to punish them for doing their job to P&D the Constitution?

Nothing.

At least in public.

Maybe they won't be allowed to eat at the cool kid's table.

I'm not sure how making them martyrs is helpful to party goals.

They'll probably be primaried by well-financed Trump loyalists.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 03:59:37 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12776 on: July 26, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »

The Republicans don’t give a shit about infrastructure. That’s how “Infrastructure Week” became such a joke with the GOP controlling the Congress and the White House.

Months of negotiating and no deal from the Republicans because THEY DON’T WANT A BIPARTISAN DEAL because if they agree they give Biden a WIN on all fronts. But if they delay and renege and delay again they win as they did in 2010.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/07/26/senate-infrastructure-negotiations/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12777 on: July 26, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »

Larry asked why I supported Pelosi's appointment of GOP Reps to the 1-6 Committee.

This is part of why, though only a part:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/politics/republicans-mccarthy-kinzinger-cheney-january-6-committee/index.html

Internal turmoil for the GOP is a good thing.

Turmoil because people are putting party over country and demonstrating that practice in an amazingly public way is all the better.

Cheney and Kinzinger are now pols without a party and will get primaried hard in '22 by zealots of the conspiratorial and crazy right.

I've no idea if either survives the nasty and dirty politics they will face.

But they have a platform to showcase independence and approached 1/6 in a non-partisan manner.

For the Dems this is not about R-internal politics and power plays in the kitchen, that cake was already baked in Mar A Lago. 

this is about marketing and PR to the few non-crazy, non-Qs, moderate Repubs left and independent voters, who were distressed by the conspiratorial nuts who wanted to overthrow democracy, and who may be swing voters in '22.

The 1/6 Commission will be painted as a partisan hit job by Team McCarthy. If Nancy can market it as a bi-partisan effort to get to the truth, she has a better chance of impressing independent voters and perhaps keeping the fascists from running the show  in '22.

And pound the shit out of them with her gavel for a few more years.

Regardless the make up of the panel the Republicans will scream to high heaven its findings and results are, “rigged, unfair-unbalanced and just another partisan witch hunt.”

“Impeachment 3.0”

Pelosi is a BOSS.

IF the Senate ever gets its shit together and passes the agenda to save the nation and the future the GOP would not win another election.

The Republicans are funded by ultra wealthy nihilists who desire total absolute power and don’t give a flying fuck about anyone in a red hat.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: July 26, 2021, 05:36:14 PM »

We need to build our high speed trains, and more subways in urban areas, etc, as we improve our infrastructure.

The oil companies do not want us to build our high speed trains, and the automobile companies, and the tire companies, etc, etc, etc, but when people are stuck bumper to bumper in traffic and when people spend 4 hours a day stuck in traffic, then it is ridiculous, and then when you add in what it is doing to our environment, it is just all bad, we need to look after our own best interests here in the USA and we need to build our high speed trains, and our subways, etc, and we need to make it easier for people to get around without a car. 

We also need to create more home jobs, with modern technology the home offices are great, everyone benefits when people are able to work from home. 

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #12779 on: July 26, 2021, 05:42:17 PM »

Oh, Hamilton Samuels went out fishing for a LarryB and came home with a Barton.

That's one of the Child Ballads.
Haha!

F J Child was an amazing scholar and teacher.   
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 2924