Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752033 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #13560 on: August 06, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »

Bambu,

Yes, we should give the shots to the Aussies instead of letting the shots go to waste. But it should not have had to come to that.

First of all, Australia needs to have world class top universities, and you guys need to manufacture your own vaccines and pharmaceuticals, etc, and you can export to other nations, it could be a job creator there. Who knows? Maybe you folks down under can cure cancer. You need to have great schools, and laboratories, etc. And you can get Richard Branson to open a new university in Australia, etc. Australia can do great things.

Also, England is supposed to help Australia, Australia should get the same vaccines that the Irish are getting, and that the Canadians are getting.

The Philippines is lucky to have shots for people, and the President said if the people do not get the shot he will stick it in their butt. They are lucky to have the vaccinations there.

And here in the USA, I got my shot as soon as it came available, I got the Moderna 2 shots, I trust Dolly Parton and I trust Vanderbilt. The USA is lucky to be a world leader thanks to freedom and great schools.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #13561 on: August 06, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »

Obviously it can be changed. But the rule does work and has for a long time.
How does abolishing Voter ID(which is unconstitutional at the federal level) protect any voter?

The rule doesn't work,  as Al Hamilton predicted it wouldn't in the quote previous.  The burden is on you to show that it does and that it should be permanent.   AH's description of modern gridlock was uncanny,  if you bothered to read it.   

Getting rid of voter ID doesn't protect "any" voter.   It does help the small percent who face obstacles in getting one (see Georgia example posted by Josh or Fac (?) a couple days back) or in scanning an ID into a state online system if applying for a mailed ballot.
Since a large majority seems blithe and unconcerned about this,  I expect a pared-down bill will lose the VID bit.   I think gerrymandering will prove to be the single worst infringement on a fair and democratic process.   And there,  I think the supremacy clause has power to nix it.   It's flat out unconstitutional.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: August 06, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »

http://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/news/politics/ossoff-introduces-right-to-vote-act-in-senate/85-508e3a6a-c6ce-4d80-ab51-d8ac900f09c0

Keep marching.

Punch fascists and ratfuck their republican cup bearers.

Quite a few voting rights bills out there now.   Probably a good approach, eggs in several baskets.   If only there was a way to make voting rights a budgetary thing,  so reconciliation would work and they'd only need a simple majority.

If only the fucking Democrats would get off cloud nine and protect voting rights. After all, they wouldn’t be in the majority if not for PoC coalition in Georgia.

Problem is white people haven’t recognized we’re still in the middle of a coup and if they do see it they don’t feel the threat to THEIR rights and privileges.

Achtung, y’all.

Blame whitey. It's all you ever do.

Truth hurts.

Stop holding white people responsible for their complacency, you bastard!  How dare you make anyone feel a moment of discomfort! 

Seriously, Manchin and Sinema need to get off their purity high-horses.  I've come round to the conclusion that the Republic is in grave danger and it's time to play hardball.  If those two knuckleheads can't see that equal access to the polls is vastly more important than some filibuster theory that the framers never intended to be a part of the system, then maybe they really are DINO.
Doing away with voter ID is “ protecting” voter’
rights?
Yes.
As for the filibuster the framers let the Congress draw up rules for the respective Chambers.
Yes. So they have the perfect right to change those rules if they no longer work. The right to create such a rule is essentially irrelevant to any argument over whether to keep it.
Even if that was the case - and the filibuster, like so many things in this country, is inextricably linked with racism - it no longer does. It could be a spur to bipartisanship but Repo leadership for the last Dem administrations has made it a tool to prevent any progress at all. Getting rid of it would encourage bipartisanship - at least when Dems are a Senate majority.
How does abolishing Voter ID(which is unconstitutional at the federal level)
(no it isn't)
protect any voter?
LOL. You must not read much. You should try Google.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: August 06, 2021, 07:15:43 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: August 06, 2021, 08:21:02 PM »

How does abolishing Voter ID(which is unconstitutional at the federal level) protect any voter?

The rule doesn't work
Obviously it does. See Civil Rights  Act, Voting Rights Act, e.g.

Getting rid of voter ID doesn't protect "any" voter.
No shit.

Since a large majority seems blithe and unconcerned about this,
Large majority?
Like the whole world?
LOL!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: August 06, 2021, 08:24:01 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/06/us/arkansas-judge-blocks-law-banning-school-mask-mandates/index.html

Can republicans turn in time to save themselves from Covid?

If they can, can we make them take the lesson and apply it to wealth concentration and climate change two phenomena that are also killing them off?
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: August 06, 2021, 08:28:22 PM »

http://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/news/politics/ossoff-introduces-right-to-vote-act-in-senate/85-508e3a6a-c6ce-4d80-ab51-d8ac900f09c0

Keep marching.

Quite a few voting rights bills out there now.   Probably a good approach, eggs in several baskets.   If only there was a way to make voting rights a budgetary thing,  so reconciliation would work and they'd only need a simple majority.

If only the fucking Democrats would get off cloud nine and protect voting rights. After all, they wouldn’t be in the majority if not for PoC coalition in Georgia.

Problem is white people haven’t recognized we’re still in the middle of a coup and if they do see it they don’t feel the threat to THEIR rights and privileges.

Achtung, y’all.

Truth hurts.

Stop holding white people responsible for their complacency, you bastard!  How dare you make anyone feel a moment of discomfort! 

Seriously, Manchin and Sinema need to get off their purity high-horses.  I've come round to the conclusion that the Republic is in grave danger and it's time to play hardball.  If those two knuckleheads can't see that equal access to the polls is vastly more important than some filibuster theory that the framers never intended to be a part of the system, then maybe they really are DINO.
rights?
Yes.
As for the filibuster the framers let the Congress draw up rules for the respective Chambers.
Yes. So they have the perfect right to change those rules if they no longer work. The right to create such a rule is essentially irrelevant to any argument over whether to keep it.
Even if that was the case - and the filibuster, like so many things in this country, is inextricably linked with racism -
  Ah yes.  When out of ammo cry racism!
Abolishing Voter ID at the Federal level is unconstitutional.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: August 06, 2021, 08:31:42 PM »

Bambu,

Yes, we should give the shots to the Aussies instead of letting the shots go to waste. But it should not have had to come to that.

First of all, Australia needs to have world class top universities, and you guys need to manufacture your own vaccines and pharmaceuticals, etc, and you can export to other nations, it could be a job creator there. Who knows? Maybe you folks down under can cure cancer. You need to have great schools, and laboratories, etc. And you can get Richard Branson to open a new university in Australia, etc. Australia can do great things.

Also, England is supposed to help Australia, Australia should get the same vaccines that the Irish are getting, and that the Canadians are getting.

The Philippines is lucky to have shots for people, and the President said if the people do not get the shot he will stick it in their butt. They are lucky to have the vaccinations there.

And here in the USA, I got my shot as soon as it came available, I got the Moderna 2 shots, I trust Dolly Parton and I trust Vanderbilt. The USA is lucky to be a world leader thanks to freedom and great schools.

Salute,

Tony V.

We have no Moderna, only Pfizer and Astra Zeneca.
Astra Zeneca can be made in Australia, and is, but in limited supply yet.

We've had cases of fatal blood clots in people under 60 with Astra Zeneca.
Fed govt recommended only Pfizer for people under 60.
Children/young people especially need Pfizer as their immune systems are too robust to handle Astra Z the Medical advice was and the govt said.
Then Delta strain arrived, new cases exploded, people started dying, and the govt changed its advice, telling anyone and everyone to get any vaccine they can...saying Astra Z is safe for everyone.
Parents and young people are spinning around with confusion.

Now they find out that the Biden Administration is sitting on 29 million doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines that are about to expire at the end of Aug and is refusing to release them.
Enough vaccine to fully vaccinate every child and young person in Australia.
Yes, Joe and Co are just going to leave these vaccines in the warehouses to expire then throw them out in the trash.

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: August 06, 2021, 08:39:03 PM »

The rule doesn't work
Or, the Civil Rights Act of 1957. Just because laws were passed despite the filibuster does not mean it works.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: August 06, 2021, 08:53:20 PM »

Keep marching.

Achtung, y’all.

Truth hurts.

rights?
Yes.
Even if that was the case - and the filibuster, like so many things in this country, is inextricably linked with racism -
C.f, the Civil Rights Act of 1957.
No it isn't.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: August 06, 2021, 08:58:22 PM »

The rule doesn't work
Or, the Civil Rights Act of 1957. Just because laws were passed despite the filibuster does not mean it works.
You may want to think that one through.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: August 06, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »

Keep marching.

Achtung, y’all.

Truth hurts.

rights?
Yes.
C.f, the Civil Rights Act of 1957.
No it isn't.
Yes It is.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 2924