Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751918 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #13845 on: August 11, 2021, 05:31:11 PM »

Clearly the issue of defunding or not defunding the police (as well as what it means) involves national politicians in the Senate, the House, and the White House.

How do I know that?

Because Senator Tuberville put forth an amendment calling for punishment of communities that defund their police,

Senator Booker was excited about that proposed amendment:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/08/11/cory-booker-tommy-tuberville-defund-the-police-newday-vpx.cnn
I'm sure Coach Tuberville can draw up a game plan, but I assume that Red is embarrassed by good coach's grasp of federalism.

Upgrading public understanding of Federalism is not Red's agenda here.  It is more a crusade.  Of one.
The public understanding of Federalism is well documented.
It is comforting to know the US Senate, in the question of defunding the police, stands as one in staying out of local decisions.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: August 11, 2021, 05:33:36 PM »

A fuller explanation of her position is that she favors reallocation to community building which would reduce the need for armed enforcers but not eliminate them.   

So,  already, we arrive at the need to distinguish between elimination of police and reallocating funds so they are a smaller portion of all social services.   Which does she advocate?   Going beyond sound bites...
The police Department is not a social service. It’s job is law enforcement.

So protecting the public is not a service to society?   Apprehension of criminals is not a service to society?   That's an interesting definition,  and seems debatable.

Cori Bush has no connection to its purpose or its responsibilities to municipalities and local governments....

So she's NOT representing a congressional district in St.  Louis??   And what those constituents want from those assigned to protect them and keep the peace?   Wow,  that's a fascinating take on democracy!

Semantics, much?

It’s weird watching Hammy get lost trying to chew his way out of his own ass.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #13847 on: August 11, 2021, 05:36:33 PM »

The Taliban will be totally in control of all of Afghanistan in about 90 days.
Kabul will fall soon, then the rest of the country.

Same thing will happen in America if the patriots disappear.
Long live patriots who love the flag and the national
anthem.
Federal govt should issue a National Patriot Card to all prepared to swear allegiance to the USA above all others.

USA Uber alles!

Exactly..."above all".

Would you prefer any American citizens to be otherwise?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:23:17 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: August 11, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »

"Maddow" finished behind 12 different Fox News programs in the demo, as "Tucker Carlson Tonight," "Hannity," "The Five," "The Ingraham Angle," "Special Report with Bret Baier," "Gutfeld!," "Fox News Primetime," Your World with Neil Cavuto," Outnumbered," "The Story with Martha MacCallum," "Fox & Friends" and "America Reports" all finished with larger audiences than MSNBC’s most popular program in the key category.

Meanwhile, MSNBC’s flagship morning program "Morning Joe" failed to crack 100,000 demo viewers for the first time since October 2015.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-struggles

HL Mencken had a famous quote about that....

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
That quote can’t be found attributable to Mencken.

However:

What Mencken (1880-1956) did write, in the Sept. 19, 1926 edition of the Chicago Daily Tribune, was: “No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

Wikipedia defines “ Plains People”

The Plains tribes are usually divided into two broad classifications which overlap to some degree. The first group became a fully nomadic horse culture during the 18th and 19th centuries, following the vast herds of buffalo, although some tribes occasionally engaged in agriculture. These include the Arapaho, Assiniboine, Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Comanche, Crow, Gros Ventre, Kiowa, Lakota, Lipan, Plains Apache (or Kiowa Apache), Plains Cree, Plains Ojibwe, Sarsi, Nakoda (Stoney), and Tonkawa. The second group were sedentary and semi-sedentary, and, in addition to hunting buffalo, they lived in villages, raised crops, and actively traded with other tribes. These include the Arikara, Hidatsa, Iowa, Kaw (or Kansa), Kitsai, Mandan, Missouria, Omaha, Osage, Otoe, Pawnee, Ponca, Quapaw, Wichita, and the Santee Dakota, Yanktonai and Yankton Dakota.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: August 11, 2021, 05:45:28 PM »

"Maddow" finished behind 12 different Fox News programs in the demo, as "Tucker Carlson Tonight," "Hannity," "The Five," "The Ingraham Angle," "Special Report with Bret Baier," "Gutfeld!," "Fox News Primetime," Your World with Neil Cavuto," Outnumbered," "The Story with Martha MacCallum," "Fox & Friends" and "America Reports" all finished with larger audiences than MSNBC’s most popular program in the key category.

Meanwhile, MSNBC’s flagship morning program "Morning Joe" failed to crack 100,000 demo viewers for the first time since October 2015.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-struggles

HL Mencken had a famous quote about that....

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
That quote can’t be found attributable to Mencken.

However:

What Mencken (1880-1956) did write, in the Sept. 19, 1926 edition of the Chicago Daily Tribune, was: “No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

Wikipedia defines “ Plains People”

The Plains tribes are usually divided into two broad classifications which overlap to some degree. The first group became a fully nomadic horse culture during the 18th and 19th centuries, following the vast herds of buffalo, although some tribes occasionally engaged in agriculture. These include the Arapaho, Assiniboine, Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Comanche, Crow, Gros Ventre, Kiowa, Lakota, Lipan, Plains Apache (or Kiowa Apache), Plains Cree, Plains Ojibwe, Sarsi, Nakoda (Stoney), and Tonkawa. The second group were sedentary and semi-sedentary, and, in addition to hunting buffalo, they lived in villages, raised crops, and actively traded with other tribes. These include the Arikara, Hidatsa, Iowa, Kaw (or Kansa), Kitsai, Mandan, Missouria, Omaha, Osage, Otoe, Pawnee, Ponca, Quapaw, Wichita, and the Santee Dakota, Yanktonai and Yankton Dakota.

The "s" makes a big difference.

RIF.

Reading is fundamental.

An additional quote from Mencken proves who he was really talking about, and it was not the Pawnee, Kemosabe: “As democracy is perfected, the office (of the President) represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #13850 on: August 11, 2021, 05:51:12 PM »

In bambuland now there is ...
"A Call To Arms"

"Come forward and get vaccinated, we need your arm to fight the war on Covid".

I nearly started singing La Marseillaise. :)
"To arms, citizens".

Many who were hesitant are responding to the call.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:54:21 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13851 on: August 11, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »

Clearly the issue of defunding or not defunding the police (as well as what it means) involves national politicians in the Senate, the House, and the White House.

How do I know that?

Because Senator Tuberville put forth an amendment calling for punishment of communities that defund their police,

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/08/11/cory-booker-tommy-tuberville-defund-the-police-newday-vpx.cnn
I'm sure Coach Tuberville can draw up a game plan, but I assume that Red is embarrassed by good coach's grasp of federalism.

Upgrading public understanding of Federalism is not Red's agenda here.  It is more a crusade.  Of one.
It is comforting to know the US Senate, in the question of defunding the police, stands as one in staying out of local decisions.
...unless the local decision is the "wrong" one.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13852 on: August 11, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »

That’s when the fascists get murderously authoritarian and cram their stupidest ideas down, like this

http://youtu.be/8m6RovrMcs4

Back to school…
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13853 on: August 11, 2021, 06:09:21 PM »

How do I know that?

What would be the “ wrong” decision?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13854 on: August 11, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »

How do I know that?

LOL. Bait a different hook.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13855 on: August 11, 2021, 06:42:03 PM »

Women are smarter, Hammy.

Not sure where that leaves eunuchs like you.

Your gender bias is noted.

Oh, Prunella!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13856 on: August 11, 2021, 06:43:24 PM »

How do I know that?

LOL. Bait a different hook.
This one worked just fine.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13857 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »

My guess is that the reason a majority see the Squad and other new Democrats as denigrating law enforcement is because they are absorbing the narrative of the Right, promoted widely on social media and right-leaning media outlets.  If you actually listen to what the new Dems are saying, it doesn't quite fit that narrative, but who has time to read or research, 'miright?  Just go with the soundbite!

Bad guess.

Thanks for demonstrating my point.

Omar, por ejemplo, wants a federal oversight committee for local policing.  Her proposals have come under quite valid criticism. I'll pause while you develop your "point".

Policing is local but the policing problem is national.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13858 on: August 11, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »

How do I know that?

Oh come on!

Y’all made a major face plant on this.

This is one of the most epic self owns in modern Senate history.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 07:24:06 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13859 on: August 11, 2021, 07:16:23 PM »

My guess is that the reason a majority see the Squad and other new Democrats as denigrating law enforcement is because they are absorbing the narrative of the Right, promoted widely on social media and right-leaning media outlets.  If you actually listen to what the new Dems are saying, it doesn't quite fit that narrative, but who has time to read or research, 'miright?  Just go with the soundbite!

Bad guess.

Thanks for demonstrating my point.

Omar, por ejemplo, wants a federal oversight committee for local policing.  Her proposals have come under quite valid criticism. I'll pause while you develop your "point".

Policing is local but the policing problem is national.

International, but decidedly national, as well.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 2924