Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752039 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #13875 on: August 12, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »

The time for stealing elections is at hand:
https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/08/12/redistricting-census-data-503994

Goin both ways

Democrats will pore over data to examine whether they can successfully push for majority-minority districts, especially in southern states.  Possible candidates for additional oportunity districts in the South include Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: August 12, 2021, 11:20:02 AM »

I didn’t think anyone could annoy me as much as Joe Manchin... then along came Gottheimer.

Damned if these “Moderates” aren’t doing their best to fuck things up.

They won’t succeed but sheesh! At least act like you give a damn about the voters that put you in the majority.

Is Gottheimer one of the Problem Solvers?   

Politicians answer now to their donors,  not their constituents (who usually only are a tiny percent of donors these days).
If that were true( which I doubt) why wouldn’t you expect that response?
People who have skin in the game have louder voices. ( they have even more if their taxes are counted).
But, as usual, you are overstating since many candidates (Bernie e.g.) have made great progress in focusing on small donors. And you totally ignore the voices of the smaller donors (often via dues)who belong to unions, associations, federations, interest groups, PACS, and political parties.
Biden’s biggest donor group, unionized teachers, certainly get their voices heard, as an example.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:50:15 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: August 12, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »

Money would be better spent on old-fashioned foreign aid,  where the rich countries send peaceful assistance in building infrastructure and make sure corrupt officials don't pocket the money.

US committed to spending $20B over the next decade on salaries and weapons for the Afghan military.  So the sooner the Taliban take over the country, the more money the US saves, I guess.  I'd sooner blow the $20B giving $2000 to 10M poor Afghans, along with a written apology for the destruction and harms caused.

Amazing that you can spend $1T over 20 years in a dirt poor country and still have it a dirt poor country.  I guess a lot of those funds were used for destruction while plenty got skimmed off and is hidden away in off-shore companies and secretive banking.  Wonder if Afghani corruptocracy went in for cryptocurrencies.

Best thing for Afghanistan would have been to legalize drugs and let Afghanistan be the world's opiate supplier.  Also, should have gone to a federated system of gov't and let the Taliban rule their south stronghold largely autonomously.

Lastly, it sure seemed like Afghanistan would have been a perfect place to implement drone warfare.  Fly a cheap drone over, see where the Talibs are and launch precision bombs.  Have hoards of drones spot Talibs on the move and take them out.  Spot anyone approaching remote military outposts, etc. 

Remote robot warfare is a scary thing, but starting to occur.  Azerbaijan defeated the Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh largely using Israeli and Turkish drones to locate Armenian weaponry.  Sometimes simply by visual identification during flyovers, other times by retrofitting old planes as drones to draw enemy fire, thereby disclosing anti-aircraft positions. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: August 12, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/health/covid-19-schools-openings-masks-wellness/index.html

Such BS

Testing students/staff with no symptoms

Hyper-sensitive tests.

I was just in Cobb County.  No masking required - anywhere

But schools being way overcareful - to the social detriment of the kids
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:15:12 PM by kidcarter8 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13880 on: August 12, 2021, 12:24:08 PM »

Oh, those polls!

Nearly 80 percent of Americans blame Biden for inflation surge
By Emily Crane! New York Post

The vast majority of Americans say surging grocery and household goods prices are causing them financial hardship and nearly 80 percent blame the Biden administration’s economic policies, a new poll says.

About 70 percent of Americans say the national economy is in bad shape, and the majority — 86 percent — are concerned about inflation, according to the Fox News poll released Wednesday.

Of those polled, 86 percent blame the COVID-19 pandemic for increasing prices and 79 percent blame the Biden administration’s economic policies.

The surging costs of groceries and gas are causing financial hardship for 70 percent of people with incomes of less than $50,000, the polls says.

Over 50 percent of those who earn $100,000 say price increases have also been tough on them.

“The degree to which lower-income households are feeling the squeeze on food and fuel is striking, if not surprising, and highlights the risk that inflation could push families on the brink over the financial edge,” said pollster Chris Anderson.

The poll, conducted by Beacon Research and Shaw & Company Research, was carried out between Aug. 7 and 10. It polled 1,002 randomly selected registered voters across the country.

It comes as inflation continued to surge in July with the Labor Department’s Consumer Price Index jumping 5.4 percent compared to last year.

Consumer prices, which measures a basket of goods and services as well as energy and food costs, rose 0.5 percent from the month prior, the Labor Department said.

Food prices were up 0.7 percent in July from the prior month and 3.4 percent from a year ago, according to the data.

Holly Martins

« Reply #13881 on: August 12, 2021, 01:12:15 PM »

I didn’t think anyone could annoy me as much as Joe Manchin... then along came Gottheimer.

They won’t succeed but sheesh! At least act like you give a damn about the voters that put you in the majority.

Politicians answer now to their donors,  not their constituents (who usually only are a tiny percent of donors these days).
If that were true( which I doubt)..

Not looking for what people doubt, but some facts.  Here is some indication of what I was actually talking about....

Median percent in-district among current candidates: 28.87%

https://www.opensecrets.org/elections-overview/in-district-vs-out-of-district

(and I've seen analyses that give even lower figures for in-district donation, with the percent of total monetary amount even lower when you compute it that way....)

My point (which was about Congress, specifically, if you read the post) is that outside donors may have different agendas (like the Koch foundation policy papers that Joe Manchin receives along with his bags of money from them...) from the actual constituents.  This is a problem in both parties and all coalitions in those parties, which should concern all of us, regardless of our politics. 

I wasn't, as you allege, "ignoring" smaller donors, but pointing out that, on average, too many of them are from outside that congressional district (or state, in the case of senators). 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:15:32 PM by Barton3.0 »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13882 on: August 12, 2021, 01:59:38 PM »

I hate drugs.

I remember when I was a teen and everyone was doing cocaine, it was horrible. I remember that some people gave up all of their morals and values for cocaine. I remember everyone got paranoid because cocaine was illegal and you could go to prison for it, everyone thought they were being followed, etc. Then they started smoking crack cocaine and I remember people sitting around a table smoking crack while they let the dog starve to death right in front of them, the only thing that mattered to them was the crack. And I was smart enough to see that it was all bullshit. I snorted coke a few times, with girls and stuff, and I smoked crack a couple of times, but I never got into it, and I did not like what I saw that it did to other people. I hated what it was doing to my friends. 

Then, the next thing that people did was the brown crank that came from the truck drivers, it was cheaper than cocaine, and it provided that lift for people. I am sure that brown crank was bad for people. Then they started doing meth, it was like the crank only crystal meth. By this time I was working full time managing a dog kennel, so I quit hanging out with people. I was a loner and I managed a dog kennel. Meanwhile, my best friend learned how to manufacture meth, and he made and sold meth. All of my old friends got into meth and then they started smoking meth. People went crazy on meth, and a lot of people died. Some people their teeth are all gone, and they look like a zombie. Meth was horrible for people. I never got into meth, and I hated watching what it did to people, and I lost a lot of friends to meth. 

Now, in Anaheim, people are on heroin, and pills. It is horrible. I refuse to be around anyone who uses drugs, and I just spend most of my time by myself.

I hate illegal drugs, and I do not hang out with people who use drugs. 

People need to stick with good coffee, and marijuana, and wine. That is my advice. 

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: August 12, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »

Death cult...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/12/california-father-killed-children-qanon-illuminati/

Seems like Kid wants to expand this parenting approach to as many children as possible.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/health/covid-19-schools-openings-masks-wellness/index.html

Such BS

Testing students/staff with no symptoms

Hyper-sensitive tests.

I was just in Cobb County.  No masking required - anywhere

But schools being way overcareful - to the social detriment of the kids

Kiid wants us to add youth sized coffins to the morgue trucks that already serve as the most visible result of republican social engineering.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: August 12, 2021, 02:13:50 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/8/12/2045215/-There-s-no-bipartisanship-among-Republicans-They-just-took-the-debt-ceiling-hostage-as-usual

End the filibuster.

Raise the debt ceiling.

Enact voter protections and election campaign reform.

Otherwise, the terrorists win.

kidcarter8

• View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: August 12, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »

If that were true( which I doubt)..

Not looking for what people doubt, but some facts.  Here is some indication of what I was actually talking about....

Median percent in-district among current candidates: 28.87%

https://www.opensecrets.org/elections-overview/in-district-vs-out-of-district

(and I've seen analyses that give even lower figures for in-district donation, with the percent of total monetary amount even lower when you compute it that way....)

My point (which was about Congress, specifically, if you read the post) is that outside donors may have different agendas (like the Koch foundation policy papers that Joe Manchin receives along with his bags of money from them...) from the actual constituents.  This is a problem in both parties and all coalitions in those parties, which should concern all of us, regardless of our politics. 

I wasn't, as you allege, "ignoring" smaller donors, but pointing out that, on average, too many of them are from outside that congressional district (or state, in the case of senators).
LOL
You are mad at Manchin and don’t like the Koch Foundation.
Why didn’t you just say that?
All the rest was just bullshit.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: August 12, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »

LOL
You are mad at Manchin and don’t like the Koch Foundation.
Why didn’t you just say that?
All the rest was just bullshit.

Is that your best dirty bomb today?

Go back to your cave, Y’all Qaeda.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13889 on: August 12, 2021, 03:16:29 PM »

And you'd rather just keep printing Monopoly money.

Got it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 2924