Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752861 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #13950 on: August 12, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »

Excellent.  Monmouth and Quinnipiac polls in the last month put support for the 3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation infrastructure plan at 62 and 63 percent nationally. So, listen to those polls Manchin and Sinema!

"Oh, those polls!"

Well played,  Boswell.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: August 12, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »

I didn’t think anyone could annoy me as much as Joe Manchin... then along came Gottheimer.

Damned if these “Moderates” aren’t doing their best to fuck things up.

They won’t succeed but sheesh! At least act like you give a damn about the voters that put you in the majority.

Is Gottheimer one of the Problem Solvers?   

Politicians answer now to their donors,  not their constituents (who usually only are a tiny percent of donors these days).
If that were true( which I doubt)..

Not looking for what people doubt, but some facts.  Here is some indication of what I was actually talking about....

Median percent in-district among current candidates: 28.87%

https://www.opensecrets.org/elections-overview/in-district-vs-out-of-district

(and I've seen analyses that give even lower figures for in-district donation, with the percent of total monetary amount even lower when you compute it that way....)

My point (which was about Congress, specifically, if you read the post) is that outside donors may have different agendas (like the Koch foundation policy papers that Joe Manchin receives along with his bags of money from them...) from the actual constituents.  This is a problem in both parties and all coalitions in those parties, which should concern all of us, regardless of our politics. 

I wasn't, as you allege, "ignoring" smaller donors, but pointing out that, on average, too many of them are from outside that congressional district (or state, in the case of senators).
LOL
You are mad at Manchin and don’t like the Koch Foundation.
Why didn’t you just say that?
All the rest was just bullshit.

My bullshit was backed by the numbers.  Yours by unsupported bluster.   Outside donors gain undue influence on pols who should listen to their constituents.  QED.
If the pols ignore their constituents they don’t win elections.
Excellent.  Monmouth and Quinnipiac polls in the last month put support for the 3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation infrastructure plan at 62 and 63 percent nationally. So, listen to those polls Manchin and Sinema!

"Oh, those polls!"
Spelling must be chalenging  for you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:02:31 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: August 12, 2021, 07:05:44 PM »

I didn’t think anyone could annoy me as much as Joe Manchin... then along came Gottheimer.

They won’t succeed but sheesh! At least act like you give a damn about the voters that put you in the majority.

Politicians answer now to their donors,  not their constituents (who usually only are a tiny percent of donors these days).

Not looking for what people doubt, but some facts.  Here is some indication of what I was actually talking about....

(and I've seen analyses that give even lower figures for in-district donation, with the percent of total monetary amount even lower when you compute it that way....)

My point (which was about Congress, specifically, if you read the post) is that outside donors may have different agendas (like the Koch foundation policy papers that Joe Manchin receives along with his bags of money from them...) from the actual constituents.  This is a problem in both parties and all coalitions in those parties, which should concern all of us, regardless of our politics. 

I wasn't, as you allege, "ignoring" smaller donors, but pointing out that, on average, too many of them are from outside that congressional district (or state, in the case of senators).
LOL

My bullshit was backed by the numbers.  Yours by unsupported bluster.   Outside donors gain undue influence on pols who should listen to their constituents.  QED.
Excellent.  Monmouth and Quinnipiac polls in the last month put support for the 3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation infrastructure plan at 62 and 63 percent nationally.

Hahaha...

Holly Martins

« Reply #13953 on: August 12, 2021, 07:07:00 PM »

Werent the business owners, landlords or private home owners compensated under eminent domain?
How would renters be compensated?

You can't be that obtuse.   Cracking a hood in half, dropping in a huge tract of multilane freeway and car fumes,  is massive damage to a walking community (which poorer hoods tend to be), disrupting social and extended family connections,  commerce,  commutes, health,  and of course razing many units of affordable housing.   Massively documented.  Awake,  zombie,  and research.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13954 on: August 12, 2021, 07:07:51 PM »

If you are revitalizing infrastructure, and as a small fraction of that investment you can correct engineering decisions that perpetrate immense tragic societal ills, you do it both morally and fiscally. Rebuilding cities to better suit the understood needs of their populations every few generations is a hallmark of civilizations that haven’t collapsed. If rerouting certain roads reduces hospitalization and incarceration in densely populated areas, spend big now so those savings can be realized going forward all the time until you need to do it again.

If you are hiring to revitalize infrastructure, you are managing streams of wealth and income to get it done. If you recognize systemic factors leading to de facto racial preferences in contracting, making it you policy to counteract that in your contracting choices is both good politics and good policy.

Austerity, denial of racism, sexism, insurrection, and anti-vaccine propaganda are all one great circle under Koch.

If one believes in true equality, let the best bid win---don't base it on the race of the bidder, simply because decisions based upon race are inherently racist.

I have no issues with how the roads are built as far as where they go, or how the local neighborhoods that will be effected are compensated for their inconveniences---as traditionally Eminent Domain comes into play.
How.were.the communities and neighborhoods divided by the interstates in the first place compensated for their inconvenience? The owners of the property were compensated, but the neighborhood?
Werent the business owners, landlords or private home owners compensated under eminent domain?

You’re missing the point.

Across the nation highways were purposefully used to bisect thriving neighborhoods and communities and in essence destroy the community. Businesses fled along with jobs and services.

How to create blight 101.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: August 12, 2021, 07:08:23 PM »

You can't be that obtuse.   Cracking a hood in half, dropping in a huge tract of multilane freeway and car fumes,  is massive damage to a walking community (which poorer hoods tend to be), disrupting social and extended family connections,  commerce,  commutes, health,  and of course razing many units of affordable housing.   Massively documented.  Awake,  zombie,  and research.
Try to answer the question.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: August 12, 2021, 07:08:39 PM »

If you are revitalizing infrastructure, and as a small fraction of that investment you can correct engineering decisions that perpetrate immense tragic societal ills, you do it both morally and fiscally. Rebuilding cities to better suit the understood needs of their populations every few generations is a hallmark of civilizations that haven’t collapsed. If rerouting certain roads reduces hospitalization and incarceration in densely populated areas, spend big now so those savings can be realized going forward all the time until you need to do it again.

If you are hiring to revitalize infrastructure, you are managing streams of wealth and income to get it done. If you recognize systemic factors leading to de facto racial preferences in contracting, making it you policy to counteract that in your contracting choices is both good politics and good policy.

Austerity, denial of racism, sexism, insurrection, and anti-vaccine propaganda are all one great circle under Koch.

If one believes in true equality, let the best bid win---don't base it on the race of the bidder, simply because decisions based upon race are inherently racist.

I have no issues with how the roads are built as far as where they go, or how the local neighborhoods that will be effected are compensated for their inconveniences---as traditionally Eminent Domain comes into play.
How.were.the communities and neighborhoods divided by the interstates in the first place compensated for their inconvenience? The owners of the property were compensated, but the neighborhood?
People whose property or property rights were compensated if they were seized. Eminent domain is not designed to compensate for community or neighborhood inconvenience even if that inconvenience has an economic impact. If you cut off half a community from access to the other half - parks and community centers, local businesses, churches synagogues and mosques, that is not a taking.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13957 on: August 12, 2021, 07:09:21 PM »

Tug those bootstraps, baby.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #13958 on: August 12, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »

Hahaha...

Putrefaction gases produce laugh-like noises as they are expelled from the other zombie.   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: August 12, 2021, 07:13:15 PM »

LOL

"Oh, those polls!"
Spelling must be chalenging  for you.
Nl, but typing with my thumbs is. Espech with the L which tends to take out theater before it as often as it actually appears. And autocorrect turns what remains into an entirely different word. As in especially into Espech, which I cannot figure out, and theater for the letter.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: August 12, 2021, 07:14:45 PM »

Across the nation highways were purposefully used to bisect thriving neighborhoods and communities and in essence destroy the community. Businesses fled along with jobs and services.

Was it purposeful or, they just didn't give a fuck?
A parrot bit me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: August 12, 2021, 07:17:03 PM »

”The Power Broker.”
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: August 12, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »

People whose property or property rights were compensated if they were seized. Eminent domain is not designed to compensate for community or neighborhood inconvenience even if that inconvenience has an economic impact. If you cut off half a community from access to the other half - parks and community centers, local businesses, churches synagogues and mosques, that is not a taking.
OK 
So who was responsible for routing the interstates through metropolitan areas?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13963 on: August 12, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »

Was it purposeful or, they just didn't give a fuck?

Both

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13964 on: August 12, 2021, 07:40:59 PM »

”The Power Broker.”

I grew up riding the Causeway to the State Park named for that motherfucker.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 2924