Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752257 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #14175 on: August 16, 2021, 02:52:25 PM »

Leon Panetta has a suggestion for Joe.
It makes sense

In many ways, I think of John Kennedy and the Bay of Pigs, you know?" Panetta said. "It unfolded quickly and the president thought that everything would be fine and that was not the case. But President Kennedy took responsibility for what took place. I strongly recommend to President Biden that he take responsibility and admit the mistakes that were made."

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14176 on: August 16, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »

Can't trust the GOP, who insisted we trust the Taliban.

Trump gave Taliban PROVISIONS

Biden wiped them out.
I am not sure you know what you think you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyclJZCoX7E

UN Security council emergency meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZU3PzREp_A
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:58:39 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: August 16, 2021, 03:01:13 PM »

It makes sense

In many ways, I think of John Kennedy and the Bay of Pigs, you know?" Panetta said. "It unfolded quickly and the president thought that everything would be fine and that was not the case. But President Kennedy took responsibility for what took place. I strongly recommend to President Biden that he take responsibility and admit the mistakes that were made."

Treating any action by the Putin administration (2017-2020, the shit years) as valid, official, or binding is always a mistake.

Our Lilly white Taliban over here needs to be castrated and defenestrated before they get big headed with their own takeover ideas. They’re getting ready for another round right now.

You can tell by how Red and Kid are all frothy at the mouth.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: August 16, 2021, 03:04:18 PM »

VP Harris boasted she was the “ last person in the room” when Joe made the decision to bring the troops home.

Now that the “ Not an Evacuation” is a disaster?

Crickets 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: August 16, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/8/16/2046211/--The-only-person-who-absolutely-cannot-be-blamed-for-the-war-in-Afghanistan-is-Rep-Barbara-Lee

This unspeakable act on the United States has really forced me, however, to rely on my moral compass, my conscious, and my God for direction. September 11th changed the world. Our deepest fears now haunt us, yet I am convinced that military action will not prevent further acts of international terrorism against the United States. This is a very complex and complicated matter.

Really?  The US doing nothing would have had....what result, exactly?

She is a pacifist.  I get it.  But this is real life.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: August 16, 2021, 03:07:26 PM »

It makes sense

I think to the extent that a President shapes and manages foreign policy he needs to (and is obligated to) take responsibility for bad things that take place on his watch even if the policy isn't necessarily his  own.  Though I am surprised that a seasoned pro like Panetta actually goes down the road of comparing apples and oranges. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: August 16, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »

Biden wiped them out.

Huh?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: August 16, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »

Biden wiped them out.

Huh?
”Forget it, he’s rolling.”
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14184 on: August 16, 2021, 03:37:31 PM »

I have friends who served in Afghanistan, with the US Army, and one friend said it was a mess, he said that everything was unorganized, then he ended up with PTSD from the experience.

Of note, the people of Afghanistan need to take bathes, they always look like such dirty people. They need to take bathes and they need to wear clean clothes. They can have huge public bathes like the Romans. Or huge public swimming pools with public showers where people can shower before they go in the swimming pool.

My idea is to clean things up and make them more civilized. Clean people, and public swimming pools, that is stuff that people can see.

It is like what Rudy Giuliani did in New York City, he went in and he cleaned up the graffiti, and he instituted the Broken Windows Theory. Appearances matter, and Rudy made New York appear better, that was the first thing he did, he cleaned things up. Then, when everything was nice, people behaved better, and crime went down, and business improved and more tourists came to New York. It is sad what happened with Rudy with Trump, Trump is such a bad man, Rudy was once a great man. Rudy would know what to do in Afghanistan if Rudy was in his right mind as a Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

I would go in and make things civilized, and I would improve the peace-time economy.

I would bring in ships full of cotton seeds, and ships full of sheep, and ships full of farming equipment, etc, and I would create good honest jobs for people. I would make them civilized.

And gentrification could happen, they could start fixing up their communities, and pride can happen in their communities, and the prices can rise and they can have a real estate market and they can learn the real estate business, etc.

Security can happen from the Afghans themselves, and from the French Foreign Legion. Until full control goes over to the Afghans themselves.

Anyhow, I think civilization needs to happen in Afghanistan, and it needs to be cleanliness that you can see, and improvements that are real and visible.

New buildings can be built, and old buildings can be painted, they can have new cobblestone streets, and new farms, etc. And giant public swimming pools can be built, etc. and people can plant fruit trees, etc.

And they can wear nice new clothes, etc.

And I would bring in Catholic schools, Catholic hospitals, Catholic orphanages, and there could be freedom of religion and Catholic churches.

The Afghans need changes that they can see, and cleanliness and civilization that is real and visible.

You cannot just go in with brute force and win, you need to win their hearts and minds, and you need the support of the women, etc.

You do not go in and show them hell, you want instead to go in and show them what civilization looks like and how nice it can be to have civilization. You want the people to demand civilization once they know what civilization looks like. And they need lots of soap and water.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #14185 on: August 16, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »

. ...This is a very complex and complicated matter.

This was the sentence in your quote warning you....

Understand that Afghanistan has never been a single nation, but rather a patchwork of warring tribal groups.   Some are Jihadists (Mujahideen is Arabic for "jihadist"), some are Wahhabi fundamentalists who want to carve out an Islamic utopia,  some are nondenominational Uzbeks, some are Hazaras who just want to be left alone by various genocidal oppressors,  and then there are Pashtun nationalists who see themselves as the true Afghans and are more interested in ethnic loyalty and a homeland than in any religious solidarity.   

All this crisscrossed by some of the world's most formidable mountain ranges,  like the Hindu Kush.  There is nothing in geography,  history,  or ethnic identity to suggest Afghanistan is a nation.   To do "nation building," it's usually helpful to start with something nation-like.   

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: August 16, 2021, 04:06:34 PM »

People at Kabul  airport are hanging onto the sides of US planes as they take off, and as the planes gain height the people are falling to their deaths.
US troops and planes and whatever Aussie special forces from the contingent ScoMo sent over are available should take over the airport and keep the Taliban away.
Transport planes should then be sent in to get the people out.

China says its embassy in Afghanistan is still open for business.
Reports state that China says it doesn't meddle in the internal affairs of other countries and is seeking economic opportunities in Taliban governed Afghanistan.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 04:09:01 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: August 16, 2021, 04:13:34 PM »

Joe just said that it was only always about preventing more terror attacks on the US.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14188 on: August 16, 2021, 04:21:52 PM »

It makes sense

“I stand firmly behind my decision.”

“I am the President of the United States and the buck stops with me.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14189 on: August 16, 2021, 04:23:54 PM »

That speech was badass. Joe told the media, ALL OF THE MEDIA. to go screw.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 2924