Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755970 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #15720 on: September 07, 2021, 05:46:41 PM »

The guy who wrote this, I do not think anything is gained by banning the use of certain words., also wrote this: Disbanding and barring the GOP would end their decades long cycle of child abuse.

So, he doesn't want to ban certain words, but supports banning an entire political party.

This is not an American, or any kind of thinking American, for sure.

You cannot be for the First Amendment, and then advocate banning an entire political party.

The GOP needs to go the way of Carthage.

Smashed to rubble, burned to ash and sown into the earth with salt.

And the way to do that is to defeat them at the polls. But advocating a banning them is un-American. And you know it.

They give zero fucks about the electoral process. And you know it. See January 6, 2021.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Gov-Abbott-to-sign-hard-fought-Texas-elections-16440223.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HC_AfternoonReport&utm_term=news&utm_content=headlines&sid=603f117c8ccdcb10a5294724
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15721 on: September 07, 2021, 06:09:31 PM »

You have to defeat the Republicans to have meaningful polls in the first place

They have moved on from lying about their bad ideas and everyone elses good ones to directly undermining elections

Criminal gangs have often been taken down by the forces of decency law and order in this country. It is very American

Its the republican partys time in the barrel is all
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: September 07, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »

Fauci Update

Rand Paul might have been right all along.

https://news.yahoo.com/internal-documents-further-contradict-fauci-142902303.html

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15723 on: September 07, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »

After that last post from Josh I am going to leave that last laundry list of Bankshot insecurities well alone.

I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin and have been for awhile and can admit to excesses of youth, mistakes, where time and perspective have allowed me to recalibrate and rethink certain matters.

Fac its ok to admit you once were a guy and had balls and maybe turned to the centerfold before the interview.

Or laughed at a politically incorrect joke.

Really its ok.

And if Elba's ultra woke give you a hard time, I've got your back.

And Josh the matter is one of statute of limitations and allowing people to grow and perhaps understand the shoes others walk in.

Judging people from words or thoughts they had decades before is a dangerous practice.

There was a case earlier this year when a late 20s journalist who was going to be some publication's on-line editor lost the job to be, because when she was 17 she texted something that was seen today, 10 years later, as anti-Asian. Teenagers are supposed to cross lines and do dumb stuff. Its their time to over-step and learn and fuck-up, but not to be thrown to the wolves of wokness, each eager to prove their purity to the group. Fuck them. I'd like to see their private diaries.

No I wouldn't. 

The thought and mind control being practiced by both left and right is dangerous and should be challenged.

So I did and will.

A society village band herd or pack is how mammals form hive minds and group think that allows them to survive. There is no society without popular and unpopular opinions

Opinions have become more intrusive and apparent in the last 30 years with what cable kicked off and the internet kicked up. It is a mess but I would not return to the informationally poor past as blissfully quiet as it may have been

There is definite overreach and collateral damage on every side of the opinion wars. I miss Al Franken in the Senate for instance. It would be good if there were a method to clear oneself that could satisfy critics all the time. I do not see how it can be done or how widespread opinions about what is acceptable and unacceptable can be effectively regulated or even influenced.

We have achieved some truly revolutionary things in our lifetimes and the shocks are still ramifying through our systems.

It is also worth remembering that purges and party lines are old as dirt but that through most of history they were top down rather than bottom up or side in affairs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:37:02 PM by facilitatorn »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: September 07, 2021, 06:37:26 PM »

News Note

The Taliban has announced its new Afghanistan Government
Most of its high ranking officials are on the International Terrorism Watch List

Of course.
No surprise to me.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: September 07, 2021, 06:40:18 PM »

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Holly Martins

« Reply #15727 on: September 07, 2021, 07:24:29 PM »

But should I be hung for laughing at a red-neck joke, or a dumb-blonde joke? Or dating a dumb blonde?

Is there a statute of limitations for behavior decades ago?

I think that's the woke line most reasonable people start to balk at.

I think the counterpoint is that woke,  in the main,  is not some humorless lockstep of overreaction.   I think that's why misusing the term is perceived as stereotyping.   Sometimes woke does just mean aware,  and knowledgeable of why some minorities joined the footrace carrying twenty pound weights in each hand.   It simply means understanding that all effects of discrimination don't vanish when,  on the sixth lap,  they're permitted to drop the weights.

But how is that different than "sometimes conservative just means--------" or "sometimes liberal just means------"?

The problem that many of us have with the woke is the proselytizing nature of the constituency.

The zealotry that is used to critique the use of pronouns or the reading "Lolita" or watching a Woody Allen movie is entirely off-putting, heavy-handed, and demonstrates the exact same intolerance that the wokies preach others represent. Such reactionary behavior brings to mind the Cultural Revolution of China in the 1960's, and that is something that I find leads to book-burning and worse.

I think the real problem is media that battens onto the fraction of woke that engages in the nonsense,  which makes good outrage clickbait,  and ignores the majority of woke people who just want a fair and just society that remembers its mistakes.   I think I'm in the majority that doesn't fulminate over pronouns, "niggardly, " classic literature,  or join mass twitter shamings because someone made a sexist joke when they were 22.  I generally don't linger on laborious displays of virtue when there's a practical way to help people afford college and a starter home.   I have no interest in banning words,  or ideas,  or sending young people off to institutions or therapy for their dumb experiments in assholery.   I am even supportive of student groups on campuses that want to bring in repulsive weirdos to express their ideas (just gives all the logic students some extracurricular practice in detecting and rejecting bullshit).   I am no big fan of young people who cry "discomfort" as if there's some prospect that human beings could live lives free of it.   Something things are discomfort making,  and that's part of life,  and you hone your life skills and problem-solving skills by handling specific discomforts.   (obviously when the line is crossed, and there is genuine harm,  or discrimination, that's a different kettle of fish)

(please don't quote box all that without that last parenthetical....)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: September 07, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »

Nice post Barton
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: September 07, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »

The ACLU latest tap dance.

Its recent OP/ED in the New York Times

[Many claim that] vaccines are a justifiable intrusion on autonomy and bodily integrity. That may sound ominous, because we all have the fundamental right to bodily integrity and to make our own health care decisions. But these rights are not absolute
They do not include the right to inflict harm on others. . . . While vaccine mandates are not always permissible, they rarely run afoul of civil liberties when they involve highly infectious and devastating diseases like Covid-19. . . .
While limited exceptions are necessary, most people can be required to be vaccinated. . . . . Where a vaccine is not medically contraindicated, however, avoiding a deadly threat to the public health typically outweighs personal autonomy and individual freedom.

Got that?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: September 07, 2021, 07:41:11 PM »

Must see tv, tonight: https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/american-crime-story

Revising history for the Woke Era.

Just so we're clear, Hamster:

When I see a post that uses terms of bigotry or racism, basically any term that reduces a group of people, I will not bother to read further. Terms like woke, appropriated sarcastically, are functionally the same as any other term of bigotry.  If there is, in actuality, some reason we should not value being awakened to the past effects of racism and its present reverberations, then make that argument.  If you think a traditional view of history is the correct one, and a revision will be false in some way, then make that argument.

I sure Ham will get back to you OC.

But to be clear.

OC did you EVER laugh at a racist or sexist or any type of prejudicial joke which today we might find racist/sexist/prejudicial?

Did you ever do anything in your past, anything, let's say decades ago, which changes in society made you re-examine your behavior?

I have.

But I try to moderate my behavior now and become a better person.

But should I be hung for laughing at a red-neck joke, or a dumb-blonde joke? Or dating a dumb blonde?

I've used examples here of the intolerance of the woke.

Pointing their fingers at others, who weren't smart enough to erase posts or tweets or photographs or any other evidence when they were young and dumb. 

I read a few weeks ago in this forum some fucking moron compared Hugh Hefner's treatment of women to Hitler's treatment of Jews.

Can you believe that open anti-semitic trope would be allowed in Elba?

Hefner just as bad a Hitler?

And with all the woke motherfuckers in here, I was the only one to question the offensive comparison.

How fucking asleep did that moron have to be to make that comparison?

How indifferent to the extermination of millions of people by a monster did that moron have to be to even draw that comparison?

The fucking hypocrisy is astounding.

WAKE THE FUCK UP.
Like Ham, you support a very specific pro-Israeli wokeness. And are prepared to go all the way  across into anyone's ancient history for it.

Boz Im not as much pro-Israel (I've posted my problems with current day Israel) as I am anti-Auschwitz.

You know Poland's WW2 Disney land.

But Stanislaw, change the subject from my specific problem with the Hitler comp, which you seem to ignore, to your false strawman,
I have no problem with your problem with the Hitler comparison. It was at least stupid. I have a problem with people who use concepts like demeaning "woke" to justify or immunize hateful racist or bigoted comments by attacking people.for.pointing out the hate.

You do know I am not Polish, right?
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15731 on: September 07, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »

The last parenthetical by Barton made his post pointless

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #15732 on: September 07, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »

I think the counterpoint is that woke,  in the main,  is not some humorless lockstep of overreaction.   I think that's why misusing the term is perceived as stereotyping.   Sometimes woke does just mean aware,  and knowledgeable of why some minorities joined the footrace carrying twenty pound weights in each hand.   It simply means understanding that all effects of discrimination don't vanish when,  on the sixth lap,  they're permitted to drop the weights.

But how is that different than "sometimes conservative just means--------" or "sometimes liberal just means------"?

The problemthat many of us have with the woke is the proselytizing nature of the constituency.
The issue YOU have with woke is people pointing out your racism, Forrest.
The zealotry that is used to critique the use of pronouns or the reading "Lolita" or watching a Woody Allen movie is entirely off-putting, heavy-handed, and demonstrates the exact same intolerance that the wokies preach others represent. Such reactionary behavior[ ] brings to mind the Cultural Revolution of China in the 1960's,[/b] and that is something that I find leads to book-burning and worse.
I will point you to your thumbs up regarding banks's Hitler post, hypocrite. Let me know when you get sent to a re-education camp. I'll stand up for you then. Otherwise you are just bitching about having your conduct pointed out, and your being held accountable for it.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:32 PM »

News Note

The Taliban has announced its new Afghanistan Government
Most of its high ranking officials are on the International Terrorism Watch List
Yeah, hard to believe Trump made that deal with them, isn't it? Withdrawal was right, but pretending the Taliban would keep its word on terror was at best naive if not callously cynical fig leaf for the Trump Administration.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #15734 on: September 07, 2021, 08:15:02 PM »

Must see tv, tonight: https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/american-crime-story

Revising history for the Woke Era.

Just so we're clear, Hamster:

When I see a post that uses terms of bigotry or racism, basically any term that reduces a group of people, I will not bother to read further. Terms like woke, appropriated sarcastically, are functionally the same as any other term of bigotry.  If there is, in actuality, some reason we should not value being awakened to the past effects of racism and its present reverberations, then make that argument.  If you think a traditional view of history is the correct one, and a revision will be false in some way, then make that argument.

I sure Ham will get back to you OC.

But to be clear.

OC did you EVER laugh at a racist or sexist or any type of prejudicial joke which today we might find racist/sexist/prejudicial?

Did you ever do anything in your past, anything, let's say decades ago, which changes in society made you re-examine your behavior?

I have.

But I try to moderate my behavior now and become a better person.

I've used examples here of the intolerance of the woke.

Pointing their fingers at others, who weren't smart enough to erase posts or tweets or photographs or any other evidence when they were young and dumb. 

I read a few weeks ago in this forum some fucking moron compared Hugh Hefner's treatment of women to Hitler's treatment of Jews.

Can you believe that open anti-semitic trope would be allowed in Elba?

Hefner just as bad a Hitler?

And with all the woke motherfuckers in here, I was the only one to question the offensive comparison.

How fucking asleep did that moron have to be to make that comparison?

How indifferent to the extermination of millions of people by a monster did that moron have to be to even draw that comparison?

The fucking hypocrisy is astounding.

WAKE THE FUCK UP.
Like Ham, you support a very specific pro-Israeli wokeness. And are prepared to go all the way  across into anyone's ancient history for it.

Boz Im not as much pro-Israel (I've posted my problems with current day Israel) as I am anti-Auschwitz.

You know Poland's WW2 Disney land.

But Stanislaw, change the subject from my specific problem with the Hitler comp, which you seem to ignore, to your false strawman,
I have no problem with your problem with the Hitler comparison. It was at least stupid. I have a problem with people who use concepts like demeaning "woke" to justify or immunize hateful racist or bigoted comments by attacking people.for.pointing out the hate.

You do know I am not Polish, right?

Boz

I'm glad you think the Hitler comp was stupid. You could have said that either 2-3 weeks ago, or earlier today. But you created a false narrative which had nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Rather you accused me for a pro-Israeli land grab stance which 1) had nothing to do with the idiotic Hitler comparison 2) I have generally not discussed Israel here, (I've generally stayed away from this debate as the sides are too dug in, but have suggested economic plans as a solution) 3) but you seemed comfortable pigeon-holing my views as a Jew.

I wasn't the one using divisive language or explosive examples to isolate and demean a group.

Perhaps you should examine your words in context and explain your thoughts.

As I said I'm anti-Auschwitz which was why I among other reasons the Hitler/Hefner comp was beyond idiotic.

YMMV

I poke fun at the woke, who draw convenient lines of what is acceptable thought, generally to include their own, but to exclude others. To many its a form of shaming and group think. No good will come of it. 

I don't know nor care what your ethnicity is. I recall you mentioned your wife's ethnicity, and your faith.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 2926