Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756349 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #15765 on: September 08, 2021, 10:10:51 AM »

Are legislators in Texas actually paid to come up with idiocy like that?
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15766 on: September 08, 2021, 10:15:11 AM »

The guy who wrote this, I do not think anything is gained by banning the use of certain words., also wrote this: Disbanding and barring the GOP would end their decades long cycle of child abuse.

So, he doesn't want to ban certain words, but supports banning an entire political party.

This is not an American, or any kind of thinking American, for sure.

You cannot be for the First Amendment, and then advocate banning an entire political party.

The GOP needs to go the way of Carthage.

Smashed to rubble, burned to ash and sown into the earth with salt.

And the way to do that is to defeat them at the polls. But advocating a banning them is un-American. And you know it.

They give zero fucks about the electoral process. And you know it. See January 6, 2021.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Gov-Abbott-to-sign-hard-fought-Texas-elections-16440223.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HC_AfternoonReport&utm_term=news&utm_content=headlines&sid=603f117c8ccdcb10a5294724

So, you're already waving the white flag?

Sad.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:22:24 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: September 08, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »

But should I be hung for laughing at a red-neck joke, or a dumb-blonde joke? Or dating a dumb blonde?

Is there a statute of limitations for behavior decades ago?

I think that's the woke line most reasonable people start to balk at.

I think the counterpoint is that woke,  in the main,  is not some humorless lockstep of overreaction.   I think that's why misusing the term is perceived as stereotyping.   Sometimes woke does just mean aware,  and knowledgeable of why some minorities joined the footrace carrying twenty pound weights in each hand.   It simply means understanding that all effects of discrimination don't vanish when,  on the sixth lap,  they're permitted to drop the weights.

But how is that different than "sometimes conservative just means--------" or "sometimes liberal just means------"?

The problem that many of us have with the woke is the proselytizing nature of the constituency.

The zealotry that is used to critique the use of pronouns or the reading "Lolita" or watching a Woody Allen movie is entirely off-putting, heavy-handed, and demonstrates the exact same intolerance that the wokies preach others represent. Such reactionary behavior brings to mind the Cultural Revolution of China in the 1960's, and that is something that I find leads to book-burning and worse.

I think the real problem is media that battens onto the fraction of woke that engages in the nonsense,  which makes good outrage clickbait,  and ignores the majority of woke people who just want a fair and just society that remembers its mistakes.   I think I'm in the majority that doesn't fulminate over pronouns, "niggardly, " classic literature,  or join mass twitter shamings because someone made a sexist joke when they were 22.  I generally don't linger on laborious displays of virtue when there's a practical way to help people afford college and a starter home.   I have no interest in banning words,  or ideas,  or sending young people off to institutions or therapy for their dumb experiments in assholery.   I am even supportive of student groups on campuses that want to bring in repulsive weirdos to express their ideas (just gives all the logic students some extracurricular practice in detecting and rejecting bullshit).   I am no big fan of young people who cry "discomfort" as if there's some prospect that human beings could live lives free of it.   Something things are discomfort making,  and that's part of life,  and you hone your life skills and problem-solving skills by handling specific discomforts.   (obviously when the line is crossed, and there is genuine harm,  or discrimination, that's a different kettle of fish)

(please don't quote box all that without that last parenthetical....)

Then you're not "woke"!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: September 08, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »

But should I be hung for laughing at a red-neck joke, or a dumb-blonde joke? Or dating a dumb blonde?

I think the counterpoint is that woke,  in the main,  is not some humorless lockstep of overreaction.   I think that's why misusing the term is perceived as stereotyping.   Sometimes woke does just mean aware,  and knowledgeable of why some minorities joined the footrace carrying twenty pound weights in each hand.   It simply means understanding that all effects of discrimination don't vanish when,  on the sixth lap,  they're permitted to drop the weights.

But how is that different than "sometimes conservative just means--------" or "sometimes liberal just means------"?

The problemthat many of us have with the woke is the proselytizing nature of the constituency.
The issue YOU have with woke is people pointing out your racism, Forrest.
The zealotry that is used to critique the use of pronouns or the reading "Lolita" or watching a Woody Allen movie is entirely off-putting, heavy-handed, and demonstrates the exact same intolerance that the wokies preach others represent. Such reactionary behavior[ ] brings to mind the Cultural Revolution of China in the 1960's,[/b] and that is something that I find leads to book-burning and worse.
I will point you to your thumbs up regarding banks's Hitler post, hypocrite. Let me know when you get sent to a re-education camp. I'll stand up for you then. Otherwise you are just bitching about having your conduct pointed out, and your being held accountable for it.

No. You just call anyone who disagrees with you a racist, Kuntzler.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: September 08, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »

The Star Spangled Banner Protection Act goes into effect today in Texas

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban will face substantial fines if he refuses to have the national anthem played at Dallas home games.

That would normally be unconstitutional. But today? Who knows?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: September 08, 2021, 10:26:18 AM »

Nothing is unconstitutional until Red says it is. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15771 on: September 08, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban will face substantial fines if he refuses to have the national anthem played at Dallas home games.
Canceled!
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: September 08, 2021, 10:49:10 AM »

The problemthat many of us have with the woke is the proselytizing nature of the constituency.
The issue YOU have with woke is people pointing out your racism, Forrest.
The zealotry that is used to critique the use of pronouns or the reading "Lolita" or watching a Woody Allen movie is entirely off-putting, heavy-handed, and demonstrates the exact same intolerance that the wokies preach others represent. Such reactionary behavior[ ] brings to mind the Cultural Revolution of China in the 1960's,[/b] and that is something that I find leads to book-burning and worse.
I will point you to your thumbs up regarding banks's Hitler post, hypocrite. Let me know when you get sent to a re-education camp. I'll stand up for you then. Otherwise you are just bitching about having your conduct pointed out, and your being held accountable for it.

No. You just call anyone who disagrees with you a racist, Kuntzler.
No Forrest. Just people like you. You know, actual racists.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: September 08, 2021, 10:50:41 AM »

Nothing is unconstitutional until Red says it is.
What is the question?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15774 on: September 08, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »

The Texas Star Spangled Banner Protection Act.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: September 08, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »

Texas lawmakers and the Gov also mandated the following songs to be played at halftime

1-Deep in the Heart of Texas
2-Yellow Rose of Texas
3-Dallas Dallas Uber Alles
4-Take this vac and shove it
5-Oklahoma

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: September 08, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »

There's a fine that he will never have to pay.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: September 08, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/news/2021-09-07/idaho-activates-crisis-standards-in-north-idaho

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare announced in a press release Tuesday morning that it had activated
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: September 08, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »

There's a fine that he will never have to pay.

However a codicil to the the SSBPA makes the owner liable for damages to any outraged citizen, if anyone inside his venue does not stand or takes a knee during the SSB.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: September 08, 2021, 11:07:19 AM »

The Texas Star Spangled Banner Protection Act.
what about it?
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 2927