Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752623 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #16800 on: September 23, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »

Let's go!!!!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-tells-students-action-could-be-taken-if-they-use-wrong-pronouns#

I don't understand the zeal either way.   If someone age 20 is being a jerk.about how they address someone,  does this call for institutional response?   Didn't people use to work out interpersonal conflicts without this much Sturm und Drang?  This is where I can join with neither the left or the right.   Whatever happened to shrugging off petty insults and being the bigger person? 

Or if Josephine still retains large man-hands,  give her pronoun-tormentor a fat lip.   That could be part of an education.
I think it is a bullying issue.

Could've been bullying.  Depends on how it's done,  what else goes with it.   If someone pronouns you just to annoy you,  that's one thing.   But yes,  it could escalate beyond just being a nuisance.

If it happens accidentally - somebody forgot, slipped, whatever, nobody is going to get punished.

But the research on the negative impact of refusing to use a trans person's chosen name and pronouns is pretty clear at this point and goes beyond even the "ordinary" impact of bullying. (I think more research needs to be done, but going with what we have at the moment makes more sense than flying against it.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #16801 on: September 23, 2021, 11:24:44 AM »

Not sure yet where I land on that issue.  I just want to empower people so they don't have to feel bullied and mull over what research shows, instead  just handling things at the individual level.   That may not be possible for some personality types,  I realize. 

Facilitator didn't lose power,  did he?   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16802 on: September 23, 2021, 11:40:57 AM »

Their boss admits whip use.
That is a lie.

I know a bit about riding horses.  Pretty sure they were swinging their lariats to fend off grabbing on.   I doubt very much border agents are given whips.   But other actions,  while not so bad as whipping,  were crossing the line.
So what is your point?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16803 on: September 23, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »

DeSantis said the new policy recognizes that quarantining healthy students is "incredibly damaging" for students' educational advancement and disruptive for families.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/22/us/florida-desantis-students-covid-symptoms/index.html
So is their friends and teachers getting sick and dying.

It's not happening.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16804 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:15 PM »

Let's go!!!!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-tells-students-action-could-be-taken-if-they-use-wrong-pronouns#

I don't understand the zeal either way.   If someone age 20 is being a jerk.about how they address someone,  does this call for institutional response?   Didn't people use to work out interpersonal conflicts without this much Sturm und Drang?  This is where I can join with neither the left or the right.   Whatever happened to shrugging off petty insults and being the bigger person? 

Or if Josephine still retains large man-hands,  give her pronoun-tormentor a fat lip.   That could be part of an education.

Agree; legislating language usually doesn't work.

I think what really confuses some of us is when an individual asks to be called them. Don't ask me to sign off on your identity crisis.

There's one of you. Pick a singular pronoun.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16805 on: September 23, 2021, 03:20:45 PM »

Let's go!!!!!!

I think what really confuses some of us is when an individual asks to be called them. Don't ask me to sign off on your identity crisis.

So hard to accommodate such a challenging request, especially given that "they" has been being used for singular purposes for centuries.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: September 23, 2021, 03:21:20 PM »

Let's go!!!!!!

The issue is not legislating language. It is language's role in harassing and bullying behavior. That is what the rules are getting at, not language use. The refusal to acknowledge identity is a tool used to deny equality or even humanity to others.

So why do you not use "the N word"? That is a serious question. Not part of my oft.stated conclusion that.you are a racist. I suspect your reason for not using the N word is the same reason people try to use the appropriate preferred pronoun are fairly similar.

They do. The question is respecting that choice.
A parrot bit me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: September 23, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »

"Do not deport Haitians to Haiti!"

- unnamed black Congresswoman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16808 on: September 23, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »

Do not deport people who have not lived in Haiti for more than a decade to a place already in upheaval and who have nowhere there to go.

These are Haitians, but they went to Brazil years ago. That's how they ended up in Texas, not Florida.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16809 on: September 23, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »

Do not deport people who have not lived in Haiti for more than a decade to a place already in upheaval and who have nowhere there to go.

These are Haitians, but they went to Brazil years ago. That's how they ended up in Texas, not Florida.
Well   Then send them to Australia.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #16810 on: September 23, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »

French ambassador has returned to America.
No word yet when, or if, French ambassador will be returning to my world.
Maybe once they remember your insignificant island exists.

Yes, insignificant island continent, land mass almost the size of mainland USA, population 25 million all up.

...with very insignificant amounts of CO2 emissions.
"Dumb, drunk, racist and backward" according to many...you really have to wonder what all the fuss is about.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:56:17 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: September 23, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »

Let's go!!!!!!

The issue is not legislating language. It is language's role in harassing and bullying behavior. That is what the rules are getting at, not language use. The refusal to acknowledge identity is a tool used to deny equality or even humanity to others.

So why do you not use "the N word"? That is a serious question. Not part of my oft.stated conclusion that.you are a racist. I suspect your reason for not using the N word is the same reason people try to use the appropriate preferred pronoun are fairly similar.

Go fuck thee.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16812 on: September 23, 2021, 04:51:50 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/technology-mexico-texas-caribbean-united-states-ac7f598bafd44b3f95b786d2d800f3ce
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #16813 on: September 23, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »

Let's go!!!!!!

And your own bullying and harassment here are well documented.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: September 23, 2021, 05:07:54 PM »

Let's go!!!!!!

Go fuck thee.
Quit trying to cancel me.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 2924