Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752844 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #17835 on: October 08, 2021, 08:36:09 AM »

Chuck Schumer is a jerk.

Your wife would leave you for Chuck Schumer in four heart beats.

It is clear you know this and are not man enough to face yourself in the light of this knowledge.

I am sorry Red but all my sympathy here is for your wife if you have not lost her already.

Shhhhh....

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: October 08, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »

I could have sworn we resolved this issue about whether the President can fire people already.

Marbury vs. Madison comes to mind - an earlier instance of a president trying to force last minute appointees down the next president's throat.

Myers v. United States (1926) brought Chief Justice William Howard Taft's conclusion that
the power to remove appointed officers is vested in the President alone. According to Taft, to deny the President that power would not allow him to "discharge his own constitutional duty of seeing that the laws be faithfully executed."
[/size]

I figure Taft had a basis for his opinion of the powers of the presidency.

Yes, some later cases have put limits on it, but  Bowsher v. Synar (1986) clarified those limits to a fair extent.

And given that Executive Order 12838 eliminated roughly a third of advisory committees of the same sort that Mr. Young served on, it would surely seem that that is a power the president has.

In fact, it was exactly that action that President Trump took in 2019! https://www.ecowatch.com/trump-administration-fires-experts-2645080644.html

Not that he had not been wiping out such groups since he took office. He most assuredly had.

His attack on the SAB, which Young was later added to, started with the biblically inspired "Joshua Principle" that asserted that anybody who had received a grant from the EPA could not serve on an advisory board. EPA head Pruitt then directed the man in charge of overseeing the boards to fire those with that purported conflict. (They did, however, permit their own appointees to keep outside jobs...)

Shockingly enough, Ward didn't claim that those firings were unconstitutional!

However, the courts did rule that that principle was.

https://www.scribd.com/document/369825603/Union-of-Concerned-Scientists-and-Elizabeth-Anne-Sheppard-v-Scott-Pruitt-18-10129

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: October 08, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

I think Facil... labors under the notion that Red reads his posts.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Holly Martins

« Reply #17838 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »

Young was one of the Heartland Institute oil industry shills that Trump dumped on the EPA advisory panel.   Nothing balanced about it,  and Regan took steps to correct that.

Young on the EPA is like Mr Hungry Fox on the poultry defense council.  The suit will likely be tossed once Young's Heartland Inst connections are clarified.

https://www.niss.org/people/s-stanley-young

And?   He also works for Heartland Institute, a disinformation factory that pumps out bad science to promote the oil and coal industry, funded by same.   It promotes climate denialism with the intellectual integrity of Flat Earthers. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: October 08, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »

Young was one of the Heartland Institute oil industry shills that Trump dumped on the EPA advisory panel.   Nothing balanced about it,  and Regan took steps to correct that.

Young on the EPA is like Mr Hungry Fox on the poultry defense council.  The suit will likely be tossed once Young's Heartland Inst connections are clarified.

And?   
Thanks for playing. Credulity like yours keeps left wing looney blogs in business.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: October 08, 2021, 10:31:12 AM »

https://www.heartland.org/about-us/who-we-are/s-stanley-young

Heartland sure seems to think that Stanley Young works for them.

Holly Martins

« Reply #17842 on: October 08, 2021, 10:32:34 AM »

Ward, 

The credulity is all yours,  pal.   And you should start believing reputable scientists when they expose the falseness of Heartlands propaganda.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #17843 on: October 08, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/america-is-choking-under-an-everything-shortage/620322/

Sheds some shine on shortages.  A fix might start with reshoring some manufacturing.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #17845 on: October 08, 2021, 10:48:45 AM »

https://www.heartland.org/about-us/who-we-are/s-stanley-young

Heartland sure seems to think that Stanley Young works for them.
Josh seems more out to sea today than normal.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: October 08, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/america-is-choking-under-an-everything-shortage/620322/

Sheds some shine on shortages.  A fix might start with reshoring some manufacturing.
Except, of course, Papa Joe and the progressives think the opposite. The trillion dollar smash-up monstrosity includes DISINCENTIVES to work. Increasing the child tax credit is the first of many stupid ideas in the bill.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: October 08, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »

I think Facil... labors under the notion that Red reads his posts.
Fify.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: October 08, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »

And?   He also works for Heartland Institute, a disinformation factory that pumps out bad science to promote the oil and coal industry, funded by same.   It promotes climate denialism with the intellectual integrity of Flat Earthers.
Well, I think what Red thinks the issue is has to do with Trump's EPA head firing all of the actual experts and replacing them with industry shills on the basis that working on research funding created a conflict of interest created a conflict of interest while being paid by the industry being regulated apparently did not. Biden is going back to the real intent of the advisory board - getting advice from a broad range of actual experts in the field.  Not, for instance, a statistician paid by the people being regulated.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: October 08, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

Chuck Schumer is a jerk.

Your wife would leave you for Chuck Schumer in four heart beats.

It is clear you know this and are not man enough to face yourself in the light of this knowledge.

I am sorry Red but all my sympathy here is for your wife if you have not lost her already.
Red serves the youthful porpoise of letting me know what manufactured issue will pop up from my conservative fiends on Facebook. As in the head of the majority political party in the Senate made a partisan speech, pointing out the Republican brinksmanship in creating the potential for default. A partisan speech from a politician! What a jerk.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 2924