Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750961 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #18780 on: October 22, 2021, 10:29:40 AM »

Manchin has to decide if he serves oligarchs or Americans. He has made it clear he cannot do both.

Oligarchs are exemplary Americans. They do exactly what you would do in the same position. You just didn't get where they did.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18781 on: October 22, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »

So...

Anyway...

How did the Town Hall go??

Heard Joe couldn't remember that not so short beach name

Heh
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:42:40 AM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18782 on: October 22, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »

Do you mean Washington DC. Mr President?

Heh.

Do you mean Jill, sir?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18783 on: October 22, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »

Manchin has to decide if he serves oligarchs or Americans. He has made it clear he cannot do both.

Oligarchs are exemplary Americans. They do exactly what you would do in the same position. You just didn't get where they did.

Because they all behave the same.

Right.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18784 on: October 22, 2021, 10:39:44 AM »

A second is that nature cannot adapt.to depleted resources.

Always has. Some species do not but others do. That is adaptation.

We are the only species for whom fossil fuels are a depleting resource.   Which is the precise point of green renewable energy.  Green energy IS the adaptation.   By us,  as a species that seeks to thrive and keep the hot countries habitable.
For what it is worth i forgot the word "replace" after to. Nature cannot adapt to replace depleted.resources.

Well,  it can,  but we'd be twiddling our thumbs for sixty million years while we wait for shrubbery and dead people to turn into oil.  This whole chat has two different definitions of adaptation.   The kind where you haphazardly react to one crisis after another and the other kind where you reduce crises by predicting and planning for them.  History demonstrates which type is cheaper.   But,  sure,  REdward,  go buy that Louisiana beachfront property.  The ocean knows exactly how to "adapt" to a melting Greenland ice sheet.   
It is the other way around.  Humans know how to adapt to melting ice sheets.
Some day, possibly, you will understand this.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18785 on: October 22, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »

It is a pipe dream of mine to see josh to act even-handedly when it comes to his content objections here.

But he's such a compromised individual, isn't he?

I am at a loss to why Josh handles Fac as he does.  I'd delve into theories but in the end who fucking cares? 

Sure cannot be good for attracting new voices to this space - but my guess is that is not important.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18786 on: October 22, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »

It is a pipe dream of mine to see josh to act even-handedly when it comes to his content objections here.

But he's such a compromised individual, isn't he?

I am at a loss to why Josh handles Fac as he does.  I'd delve into theories but in the end who fucking cares? 

Sure cannot be good for attracting new voices to this space - but my guess is that is not important.
Who is Fac?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18787 on: October 22, 2021, 11:03:35 AM »

So...

the Town Hall?

Are any of you really convinced that Biden isnt farming key decisions to others - with just an' 'OK, thats fine' from Joe (if even that) required?  His cognitive function just is not there.

Toby Ziegler would surely not approve.  Sorkin could not have scripted it better had he gone the other way from the amazing, if flawed President Bartlett. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #18788 on: October 22, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »

Heh.

Do you mean Jill, sir?

If mocking the effects of aging is your thing, you had better hope karma is not.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #18789 on: October 22, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

Are any of you really convinced that Biden isnt farming key decisions to others....

I assume he is passing some decisions to others.   He is a sensible man who knows his limits and picked competent staff for that reason.   He has big picture smarts which is what we need in a POTUS, and his speech difficulties can fool some into thinking he is not all there.   It is not an ideal situation but at least he can do things like read, entertain rational thoughts,  hold a water glass and walk down a ramp.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18790 on: October 22, 2021, 11:46:44 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-officials-clarify-biden-comments-live-town-hall

There is no change in our policy, the spokesperson told Fox News. The U.S. defense relationship with Taiwan is guided by the Taiwan Relations Act.

We will uphold our commitment under the Act, we will continue to support Taiwan's self-defense, and we will continue to oppose any unilateral changes to the status quo, the spokesperson added.

The Taiwan Relations Act to which the United States is a party does not guarantee the U.S. will engage militarily if China attacks Taiwan, which it has claimed for decades is sovereign Chinese territory, but states that the United States will make available to Taiwan such defense articles and defense services in such quantity as may be necessary to enable Taiwan to maintain self-sufficient defense capabilities.

This after Biden said last night, guided by Cooper

I just want to make China understand that we are not going to step back, we are not going to change any of our views, Biden said.

Cooper chimed in, pressing again on whether the U.S. would defend Taiwan from a Chinese attack, to which Biden replied: Yes, we have a commitment to do that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:02:16 PM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18791 on: October 22, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »

Heh.

Do you mean Jill, sir?

If mocking the effects of aging is your thing, you had better hope karma is not.

Fair enough

But why aren't you or others representing your party here at least putting forth concern of his current capability?

Holly Martins

« Reply #18792 on: October 22, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »

Already replied to that.   He seemed sharp and made some good jokes

The White House has many bedrooms...

on the excerpts I watched.  I think his expressing commitment to help Taiwan was overstated and did have to be dialed back by aides later.   A situation we got accustomed to in the previous administration.  If he is actually promising a couple aircraft carriers chugging in there he should make that crystal clear that he is revising the present existing agreement.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #18793 on: October 22, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »

Also,  quick reminder,  I belong to no political party,  so "your party" is incorrect.   Still an independent. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18794 on: October 22, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »

Attaboy.

Who was the last Republican you supported?

(I have a guess)
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 2924