Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751543 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #19830 on: November 05, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/11/4/2062293/-History-teacher-caught-spewing-Hunter-Biden-conspiracy-theories-to-room-full-of-eighth-graders

The kid who recorded it will likely be accused of nefarious deeds, but I don't think the teacher had any presumption of privacy, even if a recording was not anticipated.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: November 05, 2021, 12:53:23 PM »

Have I mentioned that we have a police problem?

https://archive.ph/lQBiJ

The rise and fall of the Jack Daniel
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #19832 on: November 05, 2021, 01:32:31 PM »

What is being taught in our schools about slavery? Here's one example, from Virginia:

I don't want to wear out "wow" this morning,  but wow.

I assume Josh's example of what is taught in schools about slavery was an example from decades ago ('50s, 60s or 70s) rather than current day Virginia. But as there was no link or context it was hard to tell.

IS being taught in Virginia.

Not in very many schools, anymore, as the books wear out and get replaced. The pics are from a 1960s book.

But we have had far more recent (within the last decade) examples of US history texts referring to the immigration of slaves from Africa to work in the US and children's books about happy slaves working in the White House. Not just in Virginia.

If you were an alien anthropologist just visiting Earth, you might wonder that a country that so loves freedom and personal autonomy would have trouble teaching that slavery (and bonded labor, its equally odious cousin) is vile and miserable. 

As genius David Graeber points out in his many brilliant books of anthropology, the enforcement of "debt" with socially sanctioned violence has not been a good thing for humanity. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: November 05, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »

What is being taught in our schools about slavery? Here's one example, from Virginia:

I assume Josh's example of what is taught in schools about slavery was an example from decades ago ('50s, 60s or 70s) rather than current day Virginia. But as there was no link or context it was hard to tell.

Not in very many schools, anymore, as the books wear out and get replaced. The pics are from a 1960s book.

But we have had far more recent (within the last decade) examples of US history texts referring to the immigration of slaves from Africa to work in the US and children's books about happy slaves working in the White House. Not just in Virginia.

If you were an alien anthropologist just visiting Earth, you might wonder that a country that so loves freedom and personal autonomy would have trouble teaching that slavery (and bonded labor, its equally odious cousin) is vile and miserable. 
Sure. We all went to school and no one figured after all the lessons, quizzes and tests on the Civil War that slavery was bad. Uh huh.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: November 05, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/05/politics/defund-the-police-democrats/index.html

"Even the Democrats now admit that "Defund the Police" was a mistake."

Well, 2 of them anyway (Ellison and Clyburn)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: November 05, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »

Sure. We all went to school and no one figured after all the lessons, quizzes and tests on the Civil War that slavery was bad. Uh huh.

If it wasn't for ROOTS none of us would have known.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19836 on: November 05, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »

Derp
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19837 on: November 05, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: November 05, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »

If it wasn't for ROOTS none of us would have known.

Enslave the 10,000 or so loudest republicans and sell them to the pork processing industry and I am sure that after some time they will get the word out about the vileness of slavery. In the meantime it would make for pretty good TV.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19839 on: November 05, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »

So Trump recognized the impropriety of school teachings with regards to race and history long before CRT was coined?

Thanks for the reminder.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19840 on: November 05, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »

There are greedy people who will always do bad things in order to make money, and nothing that they say justifies what they do. We need to rise, and live by what we know is right, and be a shining city on a hill.

We need to do what is right no matter what. No excuses.

We had slavery and it took a war to end it. And we had child labor. And then as people in the USA got child labor laws, and labor unions, and good labor laws such as the 8 hour day, and the 40 hour work week, as things got better in the USA then the greedy companies moved to other nations which do not have all of the great rules such as the USA.

I tried for decades to fight for better human rights in China, and I wanted fair pay and good treatment for the people of China. I even had a Chinese roommate in Malibu who was the daughter of a general in China and I tried to get her to stand for good human rights for the people of China. And I told her, the jobs are leaving the USA and Americans are unemployed and suffering. She told me that we need to be wise or there is going to be a blood-bath. Neither one of us want war, so it will take wisdom and patience to improve our relationship with China and for the people of China to have better human rights and fair pay for workers.

I tried to appeal to the goodness in people, and I tried to use ethics in order to help to save jobs in the USA while helping the Chinese workers and balancing things out, but that did not work, the situation has gotten worse and our streets are full of homeless people. And the problem is just getting worse by the day.

Meanwhile we have ships lined up off of our shore with imports and that is where our power is, we control the ports.

We need to put high tariffs on imports, and we need to use the money to educate the people of the USA and to train the people of the USA for the jobs of the future. We can use the tariff money to educate our people, and to help our people to rise. And tariffs encourage local production.

We also need to make our immigrants legal, and we need to fix our immigration law to make it easier for our good neighbors to become legal.

We also need to help Latin America, and we need to invest in ports in Mexico. And we need to make it legal for Canadian and Mexican truck drivers to drive in the USA.

We cannot use hard times to justify lowering our standards and to justify doing bad things out of desperation, nor to justify doing bad things to the Chinese workers or to other people. We need to rise, and we need to be good people and civilized people.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:07:42 PM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: November 05, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »

So Trump recognized the impropriety of school teachings with regards to race and history long before CRT was coined?

Thanks for the reminder.

Huh?

a) CRT was coined long before Trump said anything publicly about school teachings on the topic.

b) THAT is what you glean from this?!
He also argued that America

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: November 05, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »

There are greedy people who will always do bad things in order to make money, and nothing that they say justifies what they do. We need to rise, and live by what we know is right, and be a shining city on a hill.

We need to do what is right no matter what. No excuses.

We had slavery and it took a war to end it. And we had child labor. And then as people in the USA got child labor laws, and labor unions, and good labor laws such as the 8 hour day, and the 40 hour work week, as things got better in the USA then the greedy companies moved to other nations which do not have all of the great rules such as the USA.

I tried for decades to fight for better human rights in China, and I wanted fair pay and good treatment for the people of China. I even had a Chinese roommate in Malibu who was the daughter of a general in China and I tried to get her to stand for good human rights for the people of China. And I told her, the jobs are leaving the USA and Americans are unemployed and suffering. She told me that we need to be wise or there is going to be a blood-bath. Neither one of us want war, so it will take wisdom and patience to improve our relationship with China and for the people of China to have better human rights and fair pay for workers.

I tried to appeal to the goodness in people, and I tried to use ethics in order to help to save jobs in the USA while helping the Chinese workers and balancing things out, but that did not work, the situation has gotten worse and our streets are full of homeless people. And the problem is just getting worse by the day.

Meanwhile we have ships lined up off of our shore with imports and that is where our power is, we control the ports.

We need to put high tariffs on imports, and we need to use the money to educate the people of the USA and to train the people of the USA for the jobs of the future. We can use the tariff money to educate our people, and to help our people to rise. And tariffs encourage local production.

We also need to make our immigrants legal, and we need to fix our immigration law to make it easier for our good neighbors to become legal.

We also need to help Latin America, and we need to invest in ports in Mexico. And we need to make it legal for Canadian and Mexican truck drivers to drive in the USA.

We cannot use hard times to justify lowering our standards and to justify doing bad things out of desperation, nor to justify doing bad things to the Chinese workers or to other people. We need to rise, and we need to be good people and civilized people.

Salute,

Tony V.

Tricky are tariffs.
If you put high tariffs on imports, other countries could do the same, put high tariffs on your exports.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19843 on: November 05, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »

https://wyofile.com/lawmaker-suggests-there-were-two-sides-to-history-of-slavery/

Interesting - thanks for the link.

This is viewed as extremity - and maybe it is - but the underlying point hits quite well.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: November 05, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »

Vicki writes in my paper today, 'the Glasgow fiasco, an absolute circus of spivs and activists' ...
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 2924