Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1370 1371 [1372] 1373 1374 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750142 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #20565 on: November 12, 2021, 03:06:29 PM »

I had apostrophed most of this away first time I posted it and got to the setup but not the proposed solution

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/11/12/2063879/-Rage-over-masks-and-CRT-bleed-together-in-hundreds-of-Facebook-groups-targeting-public-schools

Having failed at taking down the federal government and democracy itself, the GOP has shifted its war front to public schools.

The answer is very similar to how the anti abortion movement is being defeated. The existence of pill form abortion, negating the need for providers and those wishing to terminate their pregnancies to ever be in the same place at the same time as well as increasing privacy while cutting cost increases access regardless of local statutes and attitudes and vandalism and terror.

Using the full history as well as the wealth of new material and curriculum fostered to keep learning alive through the pandemic, the federal government can produce a free public digital curriculum for all credential-able learning from K through PHD or license or what have you along with an interface that lets individuals or groups access and navigate the material and creates paths for examination of achievement stringent and comprehensive enough to be universally accepted. Once this education path is established and proven over a decade or so, the standards of the federal education reserve can be legislated to replace the current standards for all schools of all types nation wide. If things go well and republicans are thoroughly defeated, this becomes a central resource in our already diverse educational arsenal. If the republican terrorists stay in the field setting fires and causing grief, it gives us a way to retrench vital education in a way that is less of a hittable target anywhere.   

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:03:29 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20566 on: November 12, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »

Tony

You are fortunate that you didnt accidentally, inadvertently killed an innocent.

That fraction of society - the innocents lost because we can own guns - are the political pawns of those who despise the right wing.  So sadly so - as their lives should mean so much more.

And even in their minisculity they should be honored

It seems you shot yourself in the head and all your sense leaked out.

Cleanup on isle Kid!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #20567 on: November 12, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »

On the issue of housing the homeless...

As we build housing for the homeless, then we can look to the wealthy people for examples on how to build the best housing for the homeless and for the poor.

On Skid Row in Los Angeles, they are building a new tower for the homeless people to live in, they need to copy Empire West in West Hollywood, they need to copy the rich people as they plan housing for the poor. They can have doormen, security guards, and cameras, and the crime can be kept down to zero, with a swimming pool on the roof, with a clubhouse and stuff on the roof. And with tennis courts.

In Orange they are building a new apartment complex for the poor, and they need to plan it out to be a fun place, with great architecture, and with lots of natural light, and with great landscaping, and with statues, and with outdoor barbecues, and with a swimming pool, etc. They can also convert an apartment in the complex to be a coffee shop with free wi fi like in the rich complexes. And the poor people can have swimming pool parties with live bands and with free food. People need to plan out the complexes and they need to be good fun places. And with bright cheerful colors.

As we build for the homeless people, then we need to build good, fun places, and we can look to the rich people for ideas as we build for the poor. The poor people want to have fun, and the poor people like to swim, and the poor people like good food, etc, etc, etc, we need to create good fun places for the poor people as we build. Just because it is for the poor people does not mean that it has to be a miserable place, we should strive to build good, bright, cheerful places for the poor, where the poor people can have fun and where they can enjoy life.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:14:27 PM by FlyingVProd »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20568 on: November 12, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »

There are extra stupidly shitty republicans as well. The shittiest ones are the ones gaining ground inside the GOP party-cult,

http://www.salon.com/2021/11/12/2022-primaries-will-take-gold-in-the-misogyny-olympics/

Hershel Walker is for all good things

(AND he hit his wife)

Baby...

Bath water...

You are a crooked little twerp.

I hope all the women in your family steer clear of the type of men you so admire in politics.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20569 on: November 12, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »

I am opposed to needless deaths from guns.

This includes murders.

It includes accidental deaths.

And it includes the most numerous source of them, suicides.

Too many of that last category are committed by people on impulse. Contrary to the claims that if you want to kill yourself you will find a way, suicide by gun is by far the most consistently successful method and when gun access is restricted by law, total suicides declines.

We see similar declines in places that restrict the volume of certain pills that can be at once.

Suicide is too often an act of impulse that guns permit to be made easy.

I don't give a damn whether they are right-wing or right-wing family suicides or left-wing or left-wing family suicides.

I just object to the vast majority of them, because they are preventable and the folks who die only want to have done so part of the time.

Do not think that our motives align with yours, Kid. They just plain don't for the bulk of us.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:23:38 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20570 on: November 12, 2021, 03:44:27 PM »

I am reminded of an old saying in politics: When the law is on your side, pound the law. When the facts are on your side, pound the facts. If neither the facts or law are on your side, pound the table. 

On topic posts here only.  Create a feedback thread for the oher stuff (like this).

KC  -  Love kittens.  Shorthair breeds preferred, if possible. 

Back to topic:  it is amazing what is crawling out of the political woodwork lately.  And also what happens in courtrooms where we usually hope for an impartial person on the bench...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/not-good-judge-kyle-rittenhouse-021313125.html

Kittens are great! M8ne is a 12 year old female Lilac Point Siamese.

Schroeder is an asshole
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20571 on: November 12, 2021, 03:46:00 PM »

Why didn't I anticipate this?! It seems so obvious in retrospect:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/covid-vaccine-mandates-push-holdouts-get-shot-detox-rcna4859

"We met the mandate. Now let's (use pseudoscience to) undo the vaccination!"

You know a lot of your links just get passed over, right?

Not this one.

Detox after vaccination? One word for those fools...

SUCKERS!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20573 on: November 12, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »

http://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/is-dennis-prager-stupid-or-evil

It is not hard to know.

Folks like Prager are fucking evil and they always have been.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20574 on: November 12, 2021, 03:56:42 PM »

This includes murders.

Too many of that last category are committed by people on impulse. Contrary to the claims that if you want to kill yourself you will find a way, suicide by gun is by far the most consistently successful method and when gun access is restricted by law, total suicides declines.

We see similar declines in places that restrict the volume of certain pills that can be at once.

I don't give a damn whether they are right-wing or right-wing family suicides or left-wing or left-wing family suicides.

I just object to the vast majority of them, because they are preventable and the folks who die only want to have done so part of the time.

Do not think that our motives align with yours, Kid. They just plain don't for the bulk of us.

Switzerland has a strong gun culture, 2nd only to ours. They changed their gun laws and greatly reduced suicides there.

I can find the study, if you want.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20575 on: November 12, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »

Out of curiosity, Kid, do you know which of my links you are going to ignore before I post them?

Are there specific topics or sources or times of day?

Is it the weather that gives you advance notice or informs your choice in the moment?

Certainly, you have suggested that that specific link was one you were ignoring, by using it as your (dare I say) poster child on the topic.

Did it qualify as something you already knew and if so from direct personal experience? I know I didn't know it and from the responses to it I have seen so far, it seems closer to something none of us already knew, with the dubious possible exception of you.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20576 on: November 12, 2021, 04:03:05 PM »

This includes murders.

Switzerland has a strong gun culture, 2nd only to ours. They changed their gun laws and greatly reduced suicides there.

I can find the study, if you want.

Strict limits on ammunition, if I recall correctly. It's been a rough couple months since I last reviewed this stuff. If you have such a study, that would be great, thanks! There's one in my bookmarks, for sure, somewhere.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20577 on: November 12, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23897090/

The study.

What happened after the laws changed.

What they did with the reformation was reduced the size of their military by 50% as well as changed rules regarding access and storage of ammunition.

Here is a much better explanation of the impact of the changes the Swiss made:
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/09/switzerland-military-gun-suicide/499028/

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 04:20:45 PM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20578 on: November 12, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »

Bannon charged with criminal contempt by DOJ.

LETS GOOOO!

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #20579 on: November 12, 2021, 04:29:53 PM »

In the movie "The Grapes of Wrath" the homeless people had parties with live bands, and dancing, with food and drinks, and that was really what they did. My Grandmother's family, and Roy Rogers, and others, lived and worked in the camp in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath."

Poor people want to have fun, and they like to dance, and they like live bands, and they like good food, etc, just as they always have. There is no rule that says that poor people need to be sad and miserable and that the food has to be bad.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 1370 1371 [1372] 1373 1374 ... 2924