Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762046 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #20760 on: November 16, 2021, 03:54:08 AM »

What's fascinating to me is how the right wing "adults" here and elsewhere talk about young Mr. Rittenhouse, given how they talked about young Ms. Thunberg:

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20761 on: November 16, 2021, 08:36:35 AM »

American Rescue Plan
Bipartisan Infrastructure

Now how matter you slice or parse it, Biden has done what I hoped from our federal government, recognize the moment and GO BIG!

I hate the amount of political capital pissed away by Manchin and Sinema but even with the stripped down Build Back Better bill these acts are the biggest investments in the USA future in generations.

And fuck you to the first person that comes in yapping about inflation.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20762 on: November 16, 2021, 09:32:56 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20763 on: November 16, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »

Wow.  What now?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/politics/wyoming-gop-liz-cheney/index.html
Ideally, the creation of a legitimate conservative political party that is interested in governing rather than the accumulation of power and which does not enforce a lock step membership in a cult of personality of ite members. It will not happen, sadly.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20764 on: November 16, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »

What's fascinating to me is how the right wing "adults" here and elsewhere talk about young Mr. Rittenhouse, given how they talked about young Ms. Thunberg:

So, it's "Us" vs "Them", eh?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20765 on: November 16, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »

Damn right.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #20766 on: November 16, 2021, 11:09:30 AM »

Coming from that part of the country, I get where Lizzie is coming from.   If you ranch,  say,  you feel you know what is the best way to manage your land,  and prefer minimal regulation from a distant federal government.  She is a traditional conservative - small government, ethos of self-reliance, and safety nets deployed by churches not federal agencies.  Arsenic leach from mine tailings thats not really a thing just some myth from a nervous Nellie in DC.

Would be an interesting/scary social experiment if MT, WY,  SD, ND, ID seceded and formed some sort of Northwest Republic run on Cheneyish principles.  Probably turn extra nightmarish if someone like Kristi Noem took over,  though.  Noem would toss out constitutional principles and free speech faster than a two dollar meth whore unzips your trousers.   Yeah,  typed that last sentence and it struck me how much I loathe Kristi.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #20768 on: November 16, 2021, 11:15:46 AM »

Damn right.

That's wholly unAmerican, and you should know it.

The middle is where the path to the future lies.

Even Lincoln knew that.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #20769 on: November 16, 2021, 11:17:28 AM »

Coming from that part of the country, I get where Lizzie is coming from.   If you ranch,  say,  you feel you know what is the best way to manage your land,  and prefer minimal regulation from a distant federal government.  She is a traditional conservative - small government, ethos of self-reliance, and safety nets deployed by churches not federal agencies.  Arsenic leach from mine tailings thats not really a thing just some myth from a nervous Nellie in DC.

Would be an interesting/scary social experiment if MT, WY,  SD, ND, ID seceded and formed some sort of Northwest Republic run on Cheneyish principles.  Probably turn extra nightmarish if someone like Kristi Noem took over,  though.  Noem would toss out constitutional principles and free speech faster than a two dollar meth whore unzips your trousers.   Yeah,  typed that last sentence and it struck me how much I loathe Kristi.

And maybe it shows your familiarity with two-dollar meth whores?

Holly Martins

« Reply #20770 on: November 16, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »

Heh.   Fair enough and I knew I was neatly setting up that joke.   On further reflection, I would have been disappointed if no one had gone for it.

Holly Martins

« Reply #20771 on: November 16, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »

Even Lincoln knew that.

The culture war is real,  but the media whips it into a frenzy,  and amplifies it like Nigel Tufnels amp that goes to 11. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #20772 on: November 16, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »

Even Lincoln knew that.

The culture war is real,  but the media whips it into a frenzy,  and amplifies it like Nigel Tufnels amp that goes to 11.

No, most people are lazy and just succumb to the media's influence.

The media is just easy to blame.

Bottom line, if you are truly committed to moving forward, in any situation, it is best to seek a path of compromise between the either-ors.

We used to do that pretty well, and we might well do it again in the future, but embracing "Us" vs "Them" politics is counterproductive to any real progress.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #20773 on: November 16, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »

The simple truth is that what Ponzi was to finance and what fortune-telling is to science, Joseph McCarthy is to politics.

Quoted from the WaPo.

Ponzi-politics is being used on both sides of the aisle.

We moderates aren't buying into it, thank you very much.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #20774 on: November 16, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »

I guess this is what the new Amtrak high speed trains will be like...

https://www.amtrak.com/next-generation-acela-express

The Acela trains will be better than what we have now, but it just seems like we could do better in the 21st Century.

And on the California high speed train, they need to hire more workers and they need to build multiple sections at once in order to employ more people and also to get it all done faster.

Two routes that we need quickly is the route between Los Angeles and Lancaster, and also the route between Las Vegas and Anaheim.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 ... 2929