Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1440 1441 [1442] 1443 1444 ... 2797

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 659769 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #21616 on: December 01, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »

From CNN:

Another key justice, Brett Kavanaugh, however, noted that even if the issue were returned to the states, abortion would still be available in some of those states. He conceded that supporters of abortion rights have a "forceful argument" but asked if there were two interests at stake, why the court should be the arbiter.

From LATimes: Susan Collins reporting on her conversations with then SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh: We talked about whether he considers Roe to be settled law He said that he agreed with what Justice Roberts said at his nomination hearing, in which he said that it was settled law.
If it turns out Kavanaugh lied to her, Susan Collins plans to write a strongly worded letter which after careful consideration she will not send.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #21617 on: December 01, 2021, 04:28:20 PM »

We can have concerts for charities at our sporting arenas, including at Angel Stadium, and the Rose Bowl, and we can raise money to help the foster youth.

One idea is to hire the college students to mentor the foster youth. The college students are always in need of money, and they can be paid to mentor the foster youth. Everyone wins. The college students can help the foster youth to prepare for college, etc. We can help poor students to have money while they attend college, and we can help our foster youth.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #21618 on: December 01, 2021, 04:31:36 PM »

But many pregnant people have no one to fall back on and no money to pay for child care.

I am told that this is now the correct appellation, to be used rather than the, ahem, gender stereotyping of pregnant women.  Look, I am all for gender fluidity and not pigeonholing, but there is NO medical technology currently available that allows men to carry a baby (with a placenta attached to their abdominal wall) and then give birth (C-section).  And even if you were a trans woman who somehow had a functioning uterus and birth canal installed surgically, is there really any problem including you in the class of human beings called women?

It's not transwomen that are the issue, Barton.

It's transmen.

That's the reason for the change.

I can see the logic, but not the sense.  OK, if you transitioned to male but held off on surgical procedures and hormones that would make childbearing impossible, and thus got pregnant, then... guess I am asking how this works with claiming a male identity.  Language tends to change when words start to refer to new situations that occur in significant numbers.  Fathers with wombs, estrogen and milk giving boobs seem rather hypothetical.  And do not really make sense to most people.  Maybe it will, but why would women, as a sociopolitical group, want to yield childbearing to some neutral class of persons?  Persons didnt spend a century fighting for reproductive rights, women did. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #21619 on: December 01, 2021, 04:35:26 PM »

We need to do more to help the orphans, especially if we ban abortions, if the Supreme Court rules against Roe Vs Wade.

Right now a huge percentage of foster children wind up homeless. We need to guide the foster children so that they go to college instead of winding up homeless.

And if women stop having abortions then there will be a huge increase in foster children.

So the solution to a system that cannot handle the present numbers of foster children and neglects them...is a huge increase in foster children.   I think your theory needs work, Tony.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21620 on: December 01, 2021, 05:00:20 PM »

But many pregnant people have no one to fall back on and no money to pay for child care.

I am told that this is now the correct appellation, to be used rather than the, ahem, gender stereotyping of pregnant women.  Look, I am all for gender fluidity and not pigeonholing, but there is NO medical technology currently available that allows men to carry a baby (with a placenta attached to their abdominal wall) and then give birth (C-section).  And even if you were a trans woman who somehow had a functioning uterus and birth canal installed surgically, is there really any problem including you in the class of human beings called women?

It's not transwomen that are the issue, Barton.

It's transmen.

That's the reason for the change.

I can see the logic, but not the sense.  OK, if you transitioned to male but held off on surgical procedures and hormones that would make childbearing impossible, and thus got pregnant, then... guess I am asking how this works with claiming a male identity.  Language tends to change when words start to refer to new situations that occur in significant numbers.  Fathers with wombs, estrogen and milk giving boobs seem rather hypothetical.  And do not really make sense to most people.  Maybe it will, but why would women, as a sociopolitical group, want to yield childbearing to some neutral class of persons?  Persons didnt spend a century fighting for reproductive rights, women did.

It's not hypothetical, Barton. It's happened at least twice that I am aware of. This is the first one that was public that I am aware of:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/20/the-dad-who-gave-birth-pregnant-trans-freddy-mcconnell

The numbers are not yet significant by your figuring, but they are in the trans population's figuring. It's not yielding it to a neutral class, it is explicitly yielding it to men. But non-binary AFAB folks are also capable of getting pregnant and giving birth.

(AFAB = Assigned Female at Birth)

And persons spent a century fighting, not just women, for all that it was fought for women.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21621 on: December 01, 2021, 05:05:53 PM »

In September of 2021, speaking pubicly to a group in Louisville, KY, Justice Barrett claimed that she was there to convince others that the SCOTUS, quote is not comprised of a bunch of partisan hacks end quote.

So, she can prove that and recuse herself as she has previously argued before that good Catholics like her should do so in cases like the death penalty and abortion.

Ball is in your court, Ms. Barrett.

Put up or shut up.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #21622 on: December 01, 2021, 05:22:17 PM »

It's not hypothetical, Barton. It's happened at least twice that I am aware of.

The numbers are not yet significant by your figuring, but they are in the trans population figuring. Its not yielding it to a neutral class, it is explicitly yielding it to men. But non-binary AFAB folks are also capable of getting pregnant and giving birth.

(AFAB = Assigned Female at Birth)

And persons spent a century fighting, not just women, for all that it was fought for women.

Well, that dad in England is interesting.  I had wondered about the going-in-reverse part, where he turns off the testosterone.  I promise I am not being flip when I say, surely there is an easier way to do this.  Step one: find woman in need of college tuition.

Seriously, I thought the Atlantic writer, Caitlin Flanagan, made a better case than I did for keeping it pregnant women, but I have not the nuances atm. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #21623 on: December 01, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »

The new left is pregnant with idiocy.

It is not idiocy so much as a welter of new ideas that are not really getting the broad national conversation they need to get some of the kinks out.  Or just figure out the realworld implications.  Now there is too much of people just ticking off boxes because something sounds promising.   

Greenwashing is an example.   A thousand ideas that sound terrific.  Fifty of them will be achievable and workable. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21624 on: December 01, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #21625 on: December 01, 2021, 05:48:09 PM »

According to Brandon in his 2022 budget a woman is now referred to as a birthing person
Might help explain his unpopularity.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #21626 on: December 01, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »

From CNN:

Another key justice, Brett Kavanaugh, however, noted that even if the issue were returned to the states, abortion would still be available in some of those states. He conceded that supporters of abortion rights have a "forceful argument" but asked if there were two interests at stake, why the court should be the arbiter.

From LATimes: Susan Collins reporting on her conversations with then SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh: We talked about whether he considers Roe to be settled law He said that he agreed with what Justice Roberts said at his nomination hearing, in which he said that it was settled law.
If it turns out Kavanaugh lied to her, Susan Collins plans to write a strongly worded letter which after careful consideration she will not send.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21628 on: December 01, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/01/politics/donald-trump-house-republicans-toxicity/index.html

Rep. Nancy Mace is a true American hero.

Can't stand her politics, but I admire her integrity.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1440 1441 [1442] 1443 1444 ... 2797