Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 ... 2921

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 745151 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #23715 on: February 02, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »

The GOP's absurdity continues to grow.

Dean Heller's efforts to position himself as closest to Trump are hilarious as is his "reason" for believing the Big Lie:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/02/politics/dean-heller-nevada-2020-election/index.html

But that pales in absurdity next to RNC members proposing to remove Cheney and Kinzinger from their caucus:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/politics/rnc-resolution-cheney-kinzinger/index.html

Their complaining that there is no GOP representation on the 1/6 committe is ridiculous, given the reasons for the current committee's make-up. It goes on and on.

Then there is former president Trump, who is busy promising pardons to 1/6 witnesses, 'when' he is president again. Just a wee bit of witness tampering.

All of it is fine with the bulk of the GOP.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23716 on: February 02, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »

I keep looking at Supreme Courts and I am having trouble seeing the excluded men and the excluded white people. 

Whilst true that these categories can be shallow ones, it's the deeper differences of experience that correlate with those outward appearances that are essential to having a broadly representative court.  And don't forget that part of the experience of being, say, black is in HOW THE LEGAL SYSTEM TREATS YOU and what biases lie therein.  Which, by gosh, might have some bearing on matters of jurisprudence.
Then why did Biden work overtime to deny a black woman born in poverty in the deep segregated South (who worked her way through college and law school as a single mother)
a shot at sitting on SCOTUS?

Because she was and is a Black conservative asshole. We already one of those.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23717 on: February 02, 2022, 12:54:18 PM »

Biden looks stupid for guaranteeing a black woman SCOTUS. Good pols never put their own balls in a vise.
Nonsense, Forrest. Plenty of highly qualified African American candidates. The Repos criticizing him on this issue would find something wrong with any process he used. No reason for him to pay attention to any of that criticism.
Easier to ignore it.
Truth is Biden never considered anyone except black women, in his campaign promises and his presidency.
And?

And, by saying you exclude others who are not female and black, you practice bigotry, at the very least.

But that wasn't my criticism, nor am I here to defend what the Grand Old Prevaricators might do.

From the standpoint of the average American, saying you only will look at one group of folks for a position is seen as unfair. That's why it is dumb politics, especially when you represent a party who says that is about inclusion, not exclusion.

Everyone wants to be able to have equal opportunity for any job in this country, but Joe B is essentially saying that some are more equal than others at  this time, and that concept doesn't fly for most Americans.

Oh, BULLSHIT,
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23718 on: February 02, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »

Biden looks stupid for guaranteeing a black woman SCOTUS. Good pols never put their own balls in a vise.
Nonsense, Forrest. Plenty of highly qualified African American candidates. The Repos criticizing him on this issue would find something wrong with any process he used. No reason for him to pay attention to any of that criticism.
Easier to ignore it.
Truth is Biden never considered anyone except black women, in his campaign promises and his presidency.
And?

And, by saying you exclude others who are not female and black, you practice bigotry, at the very least.
No, not bigotry, because the choice to diversify the Court by adding an African American is not based on some idea of inherent superiority, but rather the opposite.

But that wasn't my criticism, nor am I here to defend what the Grand Old Prevaricators might do.

From the standpoint of the average American, saying you only will look at one group of folks for a position is seen as unfair. That's why it is dumb politics, especially when you represent a party who says that is about inclusion, not exclusion.
Well, that happens all the time for the SCOTUS. For instance, presidents limit their selections to lawyers. And to people who agree with their politic philosophy. At least two Republican presidents have, for political reasons, publicly stated they were selecting a woman for the Court. Drumpf limited his choices on all three occasions to people vetted by the Federalist Society.

And Bidens commitment to select an African American female was made back before the SoCar primary, and in context was not dumb politics, but very smart because it got him the primary, the nomination and the election. Not honoring that commitment to a key constituency would have been dumb.
Everyone wants to be able to have equal opportunity for any job in this country, but Joe B is essentially saying that some are more equal than others at  this time, and that concept doesn't fly for most Americans.
We do not have equal opportunity for jobs. Never have. Race, gender and class have always mattered. So have connections and family. It may be unspoken, but it is there and those always favor one group of.people. it.always amused me that people would question, as an example, Obama getting into Harvard law but not George Bush getting into Yale. Some advantages are normalized in the way we view them.

The choice of SCOTUS justice is always limited by ideology and demographics. If your complaint is Biden said the quiet part out loud, fine. But I think that the selection of a well qualified justice will wash away any objections in the end, outside of the right wing rage machine.

Optics count. That's the way of the world.

My complaint is Biden's politics needed fine tuning on this one.

His problem to deal with, but an unnecessary one.

Let's hope he doesn't nominate Whoopi Goldberg.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23719 on: February 02, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?

Oh, BULLSHIT,

Do now you oppose equal opportunity.

Good to know.

And not surprising.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23720 on: February 02, 2022, 12:57:21 PM »

I keep looking at Supreme Courts and I am having trouble seeing the excluded men and the excluded white people. 

Whilst true that these categories can be shallow ones, it's the deeper differences of experience that correlate with those outward appearances that are essential to having a broadly representative court.  And don't forget that part of the experience of being, say, black is in HOW THE LEGAL SYSTEM TREATS YOU and what biases lie therein.  Which, by gosh, might have some bearing on matters of jurisprudence.
Then why did Biden work overtime to deny a black woman born in poverty in the deep segregated South (who worked her way through college and law school as a single mother)
Because he did not. He opposed her because of her extreme legal views, which is why the Dems filibusterd her, and several others, long before anyone spoke of her as a SCOTUS justice.

You and others made this factual point to him a dozen times.  He wants to pretend he doesn't get it.  Pointless to continue.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23721 on: February 02, 2022, 12:58:24 PM »

Why should the American people have to suffer an inferior federal justice for political reasons? Just take the best person available. I have no problem with Kamella running for president.
Never in the history of the Supreme Court has any president chosen "the best person available" unless you 8nclude in your concept of "best person" the type of demographic and political considerations that are leading Biden to choose a qualified African American woman. And that you think thlse.demographic considerations would lead to an "inferior federal justice" says some things about your underlying assumptions you should seriously reflect on.

The notion that being black and female, at the same time, is not a specially useful perspective for someone sitting on cases that impact vulnerable populations that have struggled for justice, is one that needs more explanation.  Justices are not lofty passionless robots of perfect judgment.  They are humans with quirks and passions -- that's why you need a good range of variations among them.

Few jobs picks the "best" person, a nebulous concept.  The object is to pick someone who brings certain qualities to a team of people.
So why exclude all others in the search?
This is not about a black woman justice. It is about the Biden process. And  a 76% unfavorable view by voters of his process is pretty telling.

Bullshit. It is all about a black woman.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23722 on: February 02, 2022, 01:00:21 PM »

Yep

No need for a Tim Scott after Obama.

Sad that Tim wouldn't be celebrated by his brethren.

His understanding of history, economics, science, public policy, not to mention right and wrong all fall short of the bar for a career in public service.

Not sure what his understanding of those is, but his public posturing on them is certainly in line with what you said.

Given his deep awareness of "driving while Black," I suspect he may know more of the truth than he lets on.

Yeah.

That is exactly while he single handedly killed police reform legislation.

He is a fucking poseur.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23723 on: February 02, 2022, 01:01:14 PM »

Oh, those Scientists!

Lockdowns reduced COVID-19 death rate by .2%, study finds
Lockdowns should be rejected out of hand

The original coronavirus lockdowns had little to no' effect on pandemic death tolls in the US, UK and Europe, a controversial report suggests. 
Economists who carried out a meta-analysis...

The report is controversial because it's a questionable method of analysis, applied by people who aren't trained in medicine or fields like immunology. 

Find a better source and we'll talk.  I have no objections to considering that lockdowns may no longer be useful, but need better science, from actual scientists.
You should read the report.

LoL.  See post right before yours I am quoting.
LOL!

Most scientists believe that, before the arrival of vaccines and antivirals, lockdowns had a significant effect on cutting transmission and therefore reducing the number of hospital admissions and deaths caused by Covid.   

That is not a quote from the report. That is a statement refuting the report.
And the qualifier MOST SCIENTISTS is wrong.
Many scientists argued against lockdowns, mask, etc. Advice that was either ignored by MSM or censored by Big Tech.
Now we see evidence that the latter group of scientists had valid points.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23724 on: February 02, 2022, 01:02:36 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?

Oh, BULLSHIT,

Do now you oppose equal opportunity.

Good to know.

And not surprising.

Bullshit piled higher and deeper.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23725 on: February 02, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »

Then there is former president Trump, who is busy promising pardons to 1/6 witnesses, 'when' he is president again. Just a wee bit of witness tampering.

You haven't seen the exact words, right?

Thought not.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23726 on: February 02, 2022, 01:20:21 PM »

Because he did not. He opposed her because of her extreme legal views, which is why the Dems filibusterd her, and several others, long before anyone spoke of her as a SCOTUS justice.

You and others made this factual point to him a dozen times.  He wants to pretend he doesn't get it.  Pointless to continue.
Consider the sealion fed.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23727 on: February 02, 2022, 01:21:54 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?

No, not bigotry, because the choice to diversify the Court by adding an African American is not based on some idea of inherent superiority, but rather the opposite.

Well, that happens all the time for the SCOTUS. For instance, presidents limit their selections to lawyers. And to people who agree with their politic philosophy. At least two Republican presidents have, for political reasons, publicly stated they were selecting a woman for the Court. Drumpf limited his choices on all three occasions to people vetted by the Federalist Society.

And Bidens commitment to select an African American female was made back before the SoCar primary, and in context was not dumb politics, but very smart because it got him the primary, the nomination and the election. Not honoring that commitment to a key constituency would have been dumb.
We do not have equal opportunity for jobs. Never have. Race, gender and class have always mattered. So have connections and family. It may be unspoken, but it is there and those always favor one group of.people. it.always amused me that people would question, as an example, Obama getting into Harvard law but not George Bush getting into Yale. Some advantages are normalized in the way we view them.

The choice of SCOTUS justice is always limited by ideology and demographics. If your complaint is Biden said the quiet part out loud, fine. But I think that the selection of a well qualified justice will wash away any objections in the end, outside of the right wing rage machine.

Again, the optics got him the presidency.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23728 on: February 02, 2022, 01:33:16 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?

Again, the optics got him the presidency.

He made a promise to his voting base and that pisses of Hammy because the base of the Democratic Party is the most educated demographic in the nation... Black women, and he thinks that is unfair.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23729 on: February 02, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »

So why exclude all others in the search?
This is not about a black woman justice. It is about the Biden process. And  a 76% unfavorable view by voters of his process is pretty telling.

But it IS about a black woman justice.  All selections imply exclusions.  All deliberate inclusions of those previously on the outside will involve a singular event where the traditional insiders will be excluded.  It's a feature, not a bug.

Because this seat, like many other jobs, has particular qualifications.  One of those stated out loud qualifications is to bring more diverse perspectives by bringing a black woman perspective to that bench. 

We are discussing the hiring philosophy here, and that is the topic.  What some polls say (and you haven't cited them for our perusal) is not an argument.  People elected Biden, after being told he would appoint a person with specific qualifications.  If they don't like him now doing what he said would do, then they have only themselves to blame.
No one but you can dig bigger holes of irrelevancy.
James Clyburn told Brandon if you agree to name a black woman to SCOTUS I will deliver South Carolina and the nomination to you.
Pinky squared and deeds done.
But the process stinks and most of America agrees on that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:09:47 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 ... 2921