Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1589 1590 [1591] 1592 1593 ... 2920

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 744970 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #23850 on: February 04, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »

This who is a racist today arguing is getting nowhere.

For anyone who cares to reply:
Q)  Does making a comment or assertion that someone infers to be "racist"
make the speaker "a racist" ?

Only in the eyes of the:

a) one who needs to take offense

b) one who wants to take offense

c) one who wishes to divert the conversation and avoid addressing any aspect of it

d) "progressive wing" of the Democratic Party

e) wants to shut down an opinion with which they disagree

f) all of the above

I agree with you that someone should be acquainted and know a person personally before labeling them a "racist".  The term has been weaponizes, as they say, to bludgeon anyone anytime with.

I really don't believe I know a real racist, but I do know some who act like they are to see the reaction of others to the comments they make.
I used to wonder whether Forrest was a racist or liked to dare people to call him one. I eventually came to the conclusion there was no difference. Someone who enjoys race baiting is in the end racist.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #23851 on: February 04, 2022, 05:35:22 PM »

Hamster.

Racism?  Look no farther than your recent post on how the six dead children of the ISIS leader were destined to grow up and murder Americans.  And used the term "sand fleas" in a nearby post. 

If you're just using racist tropes to stir up shit and poke people in tender spots, it still comes across racist.  In other words, we will poke back!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23852 on: February 04, 2022, 06:02:09 PM »

Hamster.

Racism?  Look no farther than your recent post on how the six dead children of the ISIS leader were destined to grow up and murder Americans.  And used the term "sand fleas" in a nearby post. 

If you're just using racist tropes to stir up shit and poke people in tender spots, it still comes across racist.  In other words, we will poke back!

Barton,  well said.  My conclusion from the answers to by inquiry is that HS is not a racist, but he is not going to worry about stepping on toes or "poking tender spots" in an online forum among near-total and anonymous strangers.  I take him at his word that how he lives his life in the real world
is not as a racist.

If one doesn't worry about others' feelings and insists on "poking tender spots" on racist topics, how then can you conclude that he lives his life differently?

I can see concluding that you don't know whether he is or is not a racist "in real life," but he sure does play one here.

And given his insistence that he never makes mistakes here, I think the "benefit of the doubt" doesn't lean in his favor at this point.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23853 on: February 04, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »

My History professor is a Black woman from the Caribbean, she was friends with Rosa Parks and she brought Rosa to our community college to speak. Rosa said that she did not plan on changing the world, she said she was just tired.

And I hope that my favorite History professor is still teaching, she is a Black woman whom our community can be proud of.

And she loves me, she said that the world needs other great people like me. She loved my report about the Great Depression, I had family here in California during the Great Depression who lived at the same homeless camp that was in "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck.

My family has been in the USA the whole time, in all of the wars, and through the Great Depression, etc, and I really enjoyed my classes in History in community college, and my teacher from the Caribbean was a great History teacher, I hope she is still teaching.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23854 on: February 04, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/politics/arizona-bill-reject-election-results-effectively-blocked/index.html

Good news out of Arizona.

Apparently Trump koolaid, in spite of its strong brewing formula, does wear off after a while.  And I see Mikey's koolaid has also been insufficient...

https://apnews.com/article/mike-pence-donald-trump-election-2020-84ff467d9ff5bfaad084e274f69ac521

I was just about to post that bit from a different paper.

I am so glad he finally came out and said it.

I love the mental image of the roomful of Federalist Society cons falling deathly silent as Mikey declares Trump to be wrong! 

Milk was curdled, live!
Talk about a story whizzing over your head.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23855 on: February 04, 2022, 06:12:17 PM »

It almost seems like Tony has weighed in on the Hamilton situation.

I am worried the idea of a Black female professor will set Hammy off again.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23857 on: February 04, 2022, 06:17:06 PM »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/joe-just-conversations-rogan-defends-misinformation-like-a-classic-grifter

Thumb up.  One telltale that the minds aren't really open or innocently just asking questions is the way they cherrypick their "experts." The contrarian is almost never balanced with a real expert who can easily expose the flawed logic, skewed data sets, or the drubbing an outlier study took under the harsh light of peer review. 

The people who would benefit from reading this article (with that much touted open mind) probably won't.
Who has spread more misinformation than our government(s).?

You
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23858 on: February 04, 2022, 06:17:32 PM »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/joe-just-conversations-rogan-defends-misinformation-like-a-classic-grifter

Thumb up.  One telltale that the minds aren't really open or innocently just asking questions is the way they cherrypick their "experts." The contrarian is almost never balanced with a real expert who can easily expose the flawed logic, skewed data sets, or the drubbing an outlier study took under the harsh light of peer review. 

The people who would benefit from reading this article (with that much touted open mind) probably won't.
Who has spread more misinformation than our government(s).?
You. Or was that rhetorical?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23859 on: February 04, 2022, 06:18:44 PM »

Time and again...

practicing the rhetorical punch, parry, and kick of dog whistle racial jujitsu. Here are the basic moves: (1) punch racism into the conversation through references to culture, behavior, and class; (2) parry claims of race-baiting by insisting that absent a direct reference to biology or the use of a racial epithet, there can be no racism; (3) kick up the racial attack by calling any critics the real racists for mentioning race and thereby playing the race card.

Ian Haney Lopez, Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class

I see you're still dodging answering a question.

Do you ever get tired of having to make excuses, to lie, and to distort, and to call in your pals to defend your, uh..."intellect", dumbass?

I actually answered the question but you didn

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23860 on: February 04, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »

No. People unwittingly say racist things all the time, thoughtlessly or because of cultural upbringing. There is a difference between a racist idea and a racist person. Ham is a racist person. And I am happy to be considered intolerant of racism by him.

So the recent case from the View with Whoopie,  you would not conclude from her statement, which she has retracted, that she is a racist person, but she did indeed express poorly a statement about racism.

I think her mistake was demonstrating her lack of knowledge and understanding about the Holocaust, and the stated and well documented intent of its perpetrators.

That is forgivable, but not acceptable, as such an ill-informed opinion expressed by someone of her status can enable Holocaust deniers.

She is a celebrity, not a public intellectual.  She is on a morning coffee show. 
I think she has shown sufficient remorse.

And so is Joe Rogan, a celebrity, on a talk show.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23861 on: February 04, 2022, 06:21:01 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/2/3/2078435/-It-s-conservative-endorsement-season-Write-yer-checks-and-they-might-endorse-you-too

Democrats, Americas only legitimate governing party, kills terrorists and creates jobs, bringing peace and prosperity to the nation.

Republicans, Americas most criminal element, elevates terrorists to their leadership positions and kills jobs, bringing poverty and despair to the nation.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #23862 on: February 04, 2022, 06:21:29 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23863 on: February 04, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »

I have tried to address that topic time and again in here... the same claque turn it into

I AM NOT A RACIST!

Probably not but what you just said was racist AF.

ARE YOU CALLING ME A RACIST?

No But You Just Said Some Racist Shit!

YOU ARE ALWAYS THE FIRST TO PLAY THE RACE CARD BECAUSE YOU ARE BIGOTED ANTI SEMITE!

Fuck you!

NO! FUCK YOU!

etcetera etcetera

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23864 on: February 04, 2022, 06:33:15 PM »

No. People unwittingly say racist things all the time, thoughtlessly or because of cultural upbringing. There is a difference between a racist idea and a racist person. Ham is a racist person. And I am happy to be considered intolerant of racism by him.

So the recent case from the View with Whoopie,  you would not conclude from her statement, which she has retracted, that she is a racist person, but she did indeed express poorly a statement about racism.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1589 1590 [1591] 1592 1593 ... 2920