Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 [1607] 1608 1609 ... 2919

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 744443 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #24090 on: February 08, 2022, 12:32:55 PM »

I think no one shows up to your clown show IRL. Now you dump your bullshit here where you can pretend you have thoughts in your head and some sort of spine.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24091 on: February 08, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »

Just imagine what The Guardian would have written about Nathan Hale, Ethan Allen, Abraham Woodhull or other American Revolutionaries.
Just imagine what The Guardian would have written about Mao or Pol Pot!
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24092 on: February 08, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24093 on: February 08, 2022, 01:18:27 PM »

"Pope Benedict asks forgiveness but denies wrongdoing over child sex abuse cases"

He says "I didn't do anything wrong! But forgive me, please..."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24094 on: February 08, 2022, 01:25:49 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2022/02/08/from-scotus-to-critical-race-theory-theres-no-law-or-fact-the-feels-bound-to-respect-now/

Hound, harass, and herd all conservatives off the courts. Rout them to the sea and allow them no shelter on route.

Holly Martins

« Reply #24095 on: February 08, 2022, 02:38:57 PM »

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/fortenberry-wants-jury-to-hear-from-expert-on-memory-and-aging/article_64b0e862-8603-11ec-81d9-37911ae4e7a4.html

U.S. Rep Fortenberry should resign if his age-weakened memory (at 60) is that bad.

I sat next to this guy at one of my daughter's violin recitals (our kids were about same age).  He used to pass as a decent human being, and fairly centrist.  Having moved from the Cornhusker state some years ago, I've kind of lost track of politics there.  So this was interesting, thanks. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #24096 on: February 08, 2022, 02:41:53 PM »

Does this situation with the auto industry remind you of another major industry that makes a large consumer item that fewer people can now afford and which is now dominated by high-end stuff marketed to the most affluent?

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/08/1078333943/buying-a-car-chips-supply-chains

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #24097 on: February 08, 2022, 02:53:42 PM »

We need to make our immigrants legal, like Reagan did.

We need for workers to be able to earn enough money to buy a home and raise a family from working the construction trades, etc.

In the 1950s a man hanging dry wall could buy a home and a car and he could support a family, but now we have illegal immigrants doing the work for $10 per hour cash under the table and the immigrants live in a one bedroom apartment with 10 people living there, and no one can make a living.

We need to make our immigrants legal so that they can join labor unions, and so that they can call the police in the case of an emergency, etc. And all of our workers, including established citizens as well as new immigrants need to be able to earn enough money from honest work to be able to buy a home and raise a family.

Salute,

Tony V.

Seems to me you need to seal the Mexican border, stop illegal immigration, stop people smugglers, and introduce a legal guest worker program, with a pathway to citizenship if America needs more immigrants.
What America doesn't need ...more drug dealers, organised crime figures, rapists, murderers, unlicensed drivers killing Americans on the roads etc just waltzing in over the porous border.

I live down here by the border with Mexico, Mexico is only 100 miles away, and I love the Mexicans. In New York they love Canada, and in California we love Mexico. We do not need any walls, and these people are our Brothers. We need to treat them like Brothers. We need to make our immigrants legal, plus we need a new Good Neighbor policy, plus we need to invest in the ports in Mexico, and we need to welcome the Mexican truck drivers. We also need workers for our vineyards, and for our orange groves, and for our strawberry fields, etc. And we need for the Mexicans to be able to join the unions, they need to be able to join the Teamsters, and the Construction Unions, and the United Farm Workers, etc. We need for all of our people to be protected by the law, and all men are created equal.

We love the Mexicans here in California.

Salute,

Tony V.

Why don't you move to Mexico? Then you can play immigrant, too.

I'm sure they'd love to have you, legally or illegally.

My Grandmother opened Gold mines in Mexico, and she helped to bring running water, electricity, telephones, paved roads, etc, to some very poor parts of Mexico, and they treated her like a Queen. They used to throw parties in her honor.

I went to Mexico as a teen with Youth For Christ, and it changed my life. I was helping desperate people, but at the same time they helped me because I saw what true poverty looks like, and I was so grateful to be an American. As we rise we need to remember to help the poor and the needy and the orphans, and it is good for our souls when we help other people and we store up our treasure in Heaven.

By the way, the immigrants can work with Habitat For Humanity to learn how to build housing, and then they can join a union if they want to and they can work in the construction industry. We have a huge homelessness problem and we need to build a lot of housing.

Salute,

Tony V.

People don't immigrate here to do charity for others.

Yes they do. My friend Lisa came here from the Philippines and spent her whole life helping the homeless here in the USA, etc, with her friend Rose who was also from the Philippines, and my doctor is from the Philippines and he helps the homeless here in the USA, and he travels around the world working for free to help people.

Plus, Habitat For Humanity can be like free school to learn how to be a construction worker, and then the immigrants can join unions and they can be construction workers if they want.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #24098 on: February 08, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »

A lot of people think that the Cowboys were loners, but it is just not so.

When the pioneers came West they came in wagon trains, they did not travel alone, they traveled in a wagon train and they worked together as a team. If they were attacked by Indians then they would circle their covered wagons and they would work together to defend themselves and their children, etc. They came West in wagon trains and they worked together as a team.

And the pioneers were all Christians, and the Church was the center of the community. And the Bible tells us to do charity work and to help the poor and to give 10% to the Church, etc.

When a pioneer would build his barn, the whole community would help build the barn. And they would make a party out of building the barn. They would have a feast when the barn was completed, etc.

The Cowboys had a good sense of community, and they all helped each other.

And many Cowboys married the Native American Indian women, and the Cowboys were mostly friends with the Indians. There were not very many women in the West, and so they married the Native American Indian women.

The Cowboys also hung out in the saloons and they played poker, and they had their buddies. They were friends with all of the guys at the saloons, and they did business deals and stuff at the saloons. When a rancher needed workers he could go to the saloon and let everyone know that he needed workers.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:08:29 PM by FlyingVProd »

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #24099 on: February 08, 2022, 04:12:59 PM »

Gene Robinson, on a question about Amir Locke shooting, from today's Q and A in WaPo:

I couldnt agree more about the grievous tactical errors, starting with the decision - to my mind, unjustified - to obtain a no-knock warrant in the first place. In the cases you mention (and too many others), police used tactics that increased rather than decreased the potential for deadly violence. It is in no way anti-police to point this out. Rather, it is pro-police to urge avoiding needless split-second situations that can go wrong and result in loss of life. When you startle someone, their initial reaction is likely to be sudden - and potentially to appear threatening. De-escalation has to be the aim, not commando-style tactical surprise.   

I think this nailed it, so far as most people's feelings about police.  Yes, we support their mission, but we don't want military style commandoes bursting in on sleeping people who do not present any immediate danger. 

I also want to post a question to a couple members here: does it make sense to fault Locke and others for "not complying" and yet not assign that fault to Ashli Babbitt?  So you're aggressively at fault for groggily not knowing what the fuck is going on when pulled from sleep, but illegally and menacingly breaking into congressional chambers and repeatedly ignoring instructions to stop... it's all cool? 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24100 on: February 08, 2022, 04:15:01 PM »

Oh, those polls!

75% are tired and want a return to normalcy. Support for mandates and masks plummeting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/us/politics/covid-restrictions-americans.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:17:15 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24101 on: February 08, 2022, 04:15:44 PM »

Gene Robinson, on a question about Amir Locke shooting, from today's Q and A in WaPo:

I couldnt agree more about the grievous tactical errors, starting with the decision - to my mind, unjustified - to obtain a no-knock warrant in the first place. In the cases you mention (and too many others), police used tactics that increased rather than decreased the potential for deadly violence. It is in no way anti-police to point this out. Rather, it is pro-police to urge avoiding needless split-second situations that can go wrong and result in loss of life. When you startle someone, their initial reaction is likely to be sudden - and potentially to appear threatening. De-escalation has to be the aim, not commando-style tactical surprise.   

I think this nailed it, so far as most people's feelings about police.  Yes, we support their mission, but we don't want military style commandoes bursting in on sleeping people who do not present any immediate danger. 

I also want to post a question to a couple members here: does it make sense to fault Locke and others for "not complying" and yet not assign that fault to Ashli Babbitt?  So you're aggressively at fault for groggily not knowing what the fuck is going on when pulled from sleep, but illegally and menacingly breaking into congressional chambers and repeatedly ignoring instructions to stop... it's all cool?

When have they shown the slightest inclination to be self-consistent?!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24102 on: February 08, 2022, 04:25:59 PM »

Oh, those polls!

75% are tired and want a return to normalcy. Support for mandates and masks plummeting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/us/politics/covid-restrictions-americans.html

May the next wave take many more people who think like you than it takes people who think your thoughts are little, stupid, and mean. The latter group is the hope for the future of this country.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24103 on: February 08, 2022, 04:34:54 PM »

http://www.thebulwark.com/dont-cry-for-mark-meadows-or-let-him-cry-to-you/

Water board him in front of live crowds nightly. Make it the longest running family show in American history.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24104 on: February 08, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »

Police officers do not issue warrants. Judges do
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 05:58:23 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 [1607] 1608 1609 ... 2919