Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1661 1662 [1663] 1664 1665 ... 2918

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 743153 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #24930 on: March 09, 2022, 01:57:48 AM »

55,000 Americans were killed and countless others were maimed for life physically and mentally in Vietnam, as were a small number of Australians.
Look how Vietnam vets who returned were treated in the west...very badly.
Look how they're treated even today, badly it seems.
My schools go on excursions to Vietnam...like nothing ever happened!

Look what's going on in Ukraine.
Australia is not in NATO.
So there goes any serious help from Europe when China invades Australia.
bambu-ilk will take a lot of convincing that Australia won't go the way of Ukraine when China is finished with Taiwan and comes for Australia.
Take a lot of convincing that Washington will go to war with China over Australia.

My friend says China wants 2 islands, Taiwan and Australia.
Seems he's not alone in that thinking...my Conservative politicians and Right-leaning media/journalists seem to agree.
Any country that doesn't rush out tomorrow and get nukes is *crazy*.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:05:27 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24931 on: March 09, 2022, 02:23:55 AM »

Every 3 years, about 11 million people in America die.
Potholes cost America's drivers $26.5billion a year.
Yes, the design of cars is all wrong.
With all the rain, I nearly damaged our car in a pothole
 the other day. Luckily, as I'd almost been caught in the same place last year I'd slowed almost to stop and avoided the big one.
Cars that look nice but are in fact useless in the real world of motoring are a big waste of money.
Govts waste money when they should be filling potholes as soon as they appear instead.

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24932 on: March 09, 2022, 03:20:40 AM »

Roads tend to degrade steadily under any conservative government. It is a well known fact.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24933 on: March 09, 2022, 04:53:47 AM »

Roads tend to degrade steadily under any conservative government. It is a well known fact.

LOL
Of course...spoken by a true son of the Left/Far Left.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24934 on: March 09, 2022, 06:37:05 AM »

Roughly 55 million potholes in America.
10 Cities With Big Bad Pothole Problems:

* Philadelphia PA
* Baton Rouge, LA
* Denver, CO
* Bridgeport, CT
* Seattle, WA
* New York City, NY
* Cleveland, OHIO
* Honolulu, HI
* Milwaukee, WI
* San Francisco, CA

No potholes in Florida, I'd have to be living there.

Real potholes can be found only north of the Mason-Dixon, where they have this thing called...WINTER.

Winter is when you are driving down the highway and suddenly find yourself skidding sideways on a sheet of ice.

A second. well- accepted definition is when you get inside your car and find it so cold that only squirming, kicking and cussing will keep you alive -- until the heater starts working.

Back in Cleveland, where the winters are brutal, the snowplows dump tons of salt on the streets. The salt not only melts the ice, but also disintegrates asphalt -- and the bottom half of your car.

In their own right. the huge blades of these plows do a pretty decent job of ripping up the road. Then people put chains on their tires. Or they use tires with metal studs, for a better grip.
By the time spring rolls around and the snow melts, the streets look like the backside of the moon, pocked with huge craters.

In a place like Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors or even Oakland Park, it is always nice and warm, eternally  summer and pleasant to the point of being boring.

Here in South Florida, there are no potholes. No real potholes, anyway.

#####

I would never get bored with "always nice and warm, eternally summer and pleasant"...and no potholes.

Off to South Florida I would be.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 06:45:54 AM by bambu. »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24935 on: March 09, 2022, 11:11:15 AM »

* Baton Rouge, LA
* Honolulu, HI
* San Francisco, CA

Real potholes can be found only north of the Mason-Dixon, where they have this thing called...WINTER.

I would never get bored with "always nice and warm, eternally summer and pleasant"...and no potholes.

You might reread the parts of your list that I left up.

But meanwhile, as ever, you should stop trusting what you read, as well as your well demonstrated inability to process it. Why? Because not only can you not see the cities on the list you shared that do not have the kind of weather you were talking about, but you've also simply been lied to. Florida gets pot holes.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/florida-man-fed-up-with-potholes-plants-banana-tree-in-road

Further, Florida gets more sink holes[/] than any other state. I would take the risk of pot holes over the risk of sink holes, thank you very much.

But I suppose if you were to come here, I would prefer you live in a southern Republican state, far from me.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-sinkhole-map-where-have-incidents-been-reported-state-1609283

Stop believing what random people post on the internet.

And start actually reading and thinking about what you do read.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24936 on: March 09, 2022, 11:27:22 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24937 on: March 09, 2022, 11:30:22 AM »

You overpaid for yours, Bambu.

To the end of high school it was free...back in 1964.

At $0 AU, you overpaid.

I didn't pay anything.
I was a child.

You paid with your time, and got cheated at $0. Your parents got cheated, too.

Your inability to understand that is prima facie evidence of just how badly you got cheated.

The husband/father ruled the household, sometimes with an iron fist.  True "love, honour and obey stuff".
His own fault if he felt cheated...the principal informed him I was no genius,  but he still went ahead and chose those subjects anyway.
Of course it ended in failure, it was always going to.
Had he chosen easier subjects for me to study, like he was advised to, I would've passed and received that second certificate to hang on the wall.
2+2= 4 is easier than the maths that take up the whole blackboard.

In those days only the best and brightest, and some others, went to university...20% of students.
The rest were in the same line as me, doing the entrance exams for public service state and federal govt jobs (some available without uni degrees), banks, insurance companies, private companies who all trained their staff to their requirements.
After about 6 months doing basic office work I was sent to Tellers School, to be taught to be of course a teller.
It was there I received handgun training as part of the course, a gun range atop the head office city building.

Then along came the Vietnam War and stuffed my life again...the boss of the family couldn't wait for me to get drafted into the military.
"It'll make a man out of you". I thought "More like get me used as cannon fodder and splattered all over a jungle or rice field like all the others who are dying and being maimed for life there for nothing in the stoopid and useless war".
I objected, said "Nuke em".
Screaming matches in living room every other night.
I registered for the conscription ballot as I was required to do.
Didn't win the 'lottery draw', 'not required'.
Mommy's dearest was very happy, the family boss was very disappointed.
I learned some valuable lessons.

Lord, save us from these fail sons who pine over the unrequited love of paterfamilias.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24938 on: March 09, 2022, 12:21:08 PM »

You overpaid for yours, Bambu.

To the end of high school it was free...back in 1964.

At $0 AU, you overpaid.

I didn't pay anything.
I was a child.

You paid with your time, and got cheated at $0. Your parents got cheated, too.

Your inability to understand that is prima facie evidence of just how badly you got cheated.

The husband/father ruled the household, sometimes with an iron fist.  True "love, honour and obey stuff".
His own fault if he felt cheated...the principal informed him I was no genius,  but he still went ahead and chose those subjects anyway.
Of course it ended in failure, it was always going to.
Had he chosen easier subjects for me to study, like he was advised to, I would've passed and received that second certificate to hang on the wall.
2+2= 4 is easier than the maths that take up the whole blackboard.

In those days only the best and brightest, and some others, went to university...20% of students.
The rest were in the same line as me, doing the entrance exams for public service state and federal govt jobs (some available without uni degrees), banks, insurance companies, private companies who all trained their staff to their requirements.
After about 6 months doing basic office work I was sent to Tellers School, to be taught to be of course a teller.
It was there I received handgun training as part of the course, a gun range atop the head office city building.

Then along came the Vietnam War and stuffed my life again...the boss of the family couldn't wait for me to get drafted into the military.
"It'll make a man out of you". I thought "More like get me used as cannon fodder and splattered all over a jungle or rice field like all the others who are dying and being maimed for life there for nothing in the stoopid and useless war".
I objected, said "Nuke em".
Screaming matches in living room every other night.
I registered for the conscription ballot as I was required to do.
Didn't win the 'lottery draw', 'not required'.
Mommy's dearest was very happy, the family boss was very disappointed.
I learned some valuable lessons.

Lord, save us from these fail sons who pine over the unrequited love of paterfamilias.

At the debutante ball, he nearly drove 17 yr old miss x away from my arms by going around telling everyone that she was his future daughter in law.
Later mrs bambu.
She, 17 going on 30, was 'shocked' and remarked to her father.
Luckily, bambu was so irresistible that it made no difference. He ticked all the boxes on her shopping list.
Decades later I found out about said shopping list...never knowing such things existed.

Fail sons learn lessons, and many paterfamilias need to lift their game.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24939 on: March 09, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »

* Baton Rouge, LA
* Honolulu, HI
* San Francisco, CA

You might reread the parts of your list that I left up.

But meanwhile, as ever, you should stop trusting what you read, as well as your well demonstrated inability to process it. Why? Because not only can you not see the cities on the list you shared that do not have the kind of weather you were talking about, but you've also simply been lied to. Florida gets pot holes.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/florida-man-fed-up-with-potholes-plants-banana-tree-in-road

Further, Florida gets more sink holes[/] than any other state. I would take the risk of pot holes over the risk of sink holes, thank you very much.

But I suppose if you were to come here, I would prefer you live in a southern Republican state, far from me.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-sinkhole-map-where-have-incidents-been-reported-state-1609283

Stop believing what random people post on the internet.

And start actually reading and thinking about what you do read.

I dismissed Honolulu as it's not in mainland USA, and put Baton Rouge and San Francisco [and other places in CA included in the expanded details with SF] down to poor govt financial and infrastructure management.
So 7 out of 9 is a good score.

I thought the person's article was interesting and factual.
He said elsewhere in the article that Florida does get potholes but only ones no bigger than a paw.

Oh, I wouldn't like sink holes, so maybe I'll move up a bit.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24940 on: March 09, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »

Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews work quickly to repair potholes following winter storms and spring rain

I got to Georgia..."Atlanta potholes are out of control".

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24941 on: March 09, 2022, 12:48:26 PM »

On your timeframe, Florida is probably ok. For someone expecting to see the end of this decade and into the next one, not so much.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #24942 on: March 09, 2022, 12:50:09 PM »

Speaking of 17 yr olds...

A sexual assault lawsuit brought in New York against Prince Andrew by his longtime accuser Australia-based Virginia Roberts Giuffre has been formally dismissed after the disgraced British royal paid a financial settlement, court documents show.

In February, the parties had settled out of court for an undisclosed sum, sparing the second son of Queen Elizabeth II the public humiliation of a trial.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24943 on: March 09, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »

Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews work quickly to repair potholes following winter storms and spring rain

I got to Georgia..."Atlanta potholes are out of control".

"south of the mason dixon line"

Baton Rouge. Atlanta. Florida.

You thought it was factual?

That's why I advised you to stop believing what you read on the internet.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1661 1662 [1663] 1664 1665 ... 2918